What to begin with?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Ajitesh

What to begin with?

Postby Ajitesh » Mon May 30, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Hey
I am learning C these days, will learning Java become easy once I learn C?
Also is there a need of prior programming experience in order to learn Python or Scheme?

Are there any online tutorials for KAREL THE BOT?

Sorry guys for putting up too many questions :)

Thanks =)

Bharrata

Re: What to begin with?

Postby Bharrata » Mon May 30, 2011 11:25 pm UTC

I can't answer most of this but I will say I've only started learning programming and computer science in the last month or so and I've been able to pick up Python fairly easily from just watching the MIT OpenCourseWare lectures found here: http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-fall-2008/index.htm

If you already know some programming and Comp Sci you might want to skip the first lesson, but the whole course is taught in Python so you'll be able to know most of the basics to get you started in 4-6 hours. They also provide all the homework and quizzes for the course (without the answers :cry: ) which helps as well. Good luck.

naschilling

Postby naschilling » Tue May 31, 2011 12:19 am UTC

When I work with people, I generally recommend they learn a simple language, like Python and Scheme, before learning C. I learned QBasic to start with. As many of you know may know from my other posts here, I'm quite the C Zelot, but everything must be done within context. It is important to first learn flow control and usage of variables before learning memory management and pointers. Python

Directly to your question, I don't see Java directly benefiting from knowing C, but the efficiency of algorithms you program may, which will lead to performance enhancements in your Java.
If you don't have walls, why would you need Windows?

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Tue May 31, 2011 1:15 am UTC

Ajitesh wrote:Hey
I am learning C these days, will learning Java become easy once I learn C?

C -> Java should be an easier transition than the other way, IMO. The hardest part will be getting a good sense of how to do good OO design. Depending on the kind of C you're writing, you may not be seeing... much of that at all.

Also is there a need of prior programming experience in order to learn Python or Scheme?

No.

Are there any online tutorials for KAREL THE BOT?

You can watch the first few lectures of Stanford's "programming methodology" class on YouTube (CS106A). They start out with Karel.

Berengal
Superabacus Mystic of the First Rank

Postby Berengal » Tue May 31, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

EvanED wrote:IMO. The hardest part will be getting a good sense of how to do good OO design. Depending on the kind of C you're writing, you may not be seeing... much of that at all.
I agree with the first part, and partly the second as well. I'd just like to add that you're about as likely to see good OO design in Java as you are in C.
It is practically impossible to teach good programming to students who are motivated by money: As potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

Cleverbeans

Postby Cleverbeans » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:42 pm UTC

Stanford's Engineering Everywhere uses Karel for their first course, so you can likely pick up some resources there.
"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." - Abraham Lincoln

Ajitesh

Postby Ajitesh » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:24 am UTC

Thanks everyone :)
Will it be really difficult to learn python from MIT courseware, If I have no prior experience in computer programming?

Bharrata

Postby Bharrata » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:47 am UTC

Hey, same guy who suggested it...having no prior programming experience before doing it myself except for trying to use "teach yourself ...." books for a couple weeks beforehand, it's your best bet outside of taking a college course in it since it is..a college course :D . Just know it's going to take a lot of hours (that goes without saying for anything worth knowing/doing though) and take the time to do the problem sets they give you. <-- these will take up the majority of your time, the lectures are only an hour, the problem sets take longer but they'll hone your ability to problem solve while programming. In maybe 40 hours or less I've gone from having no grasp of how to actually solve problems with Python to writing my own program randomly generating song structures 8) If you watch the first lecture they explain that it's designed for students who have none or very little programming experience before college who want to major in Comp Sci or just learn the basics, so as far as free tools and structured objectives, I'd say it's a great place to start. Good luck!

edit: and each problem set does not correspond to each lecture, generally 3 lectures I think, just keep that in mind.

Ajitesh

Postby Ajitesh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:09 pm UTC

Is it possible to get better quality videos for MIT courseware (Python)
Most of the programs are not visible due to low quality. :(

Ajitesh

Postby Ajitesh » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:13 pm UTC

Are there any online coursewares available for C or C++?

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:37 pm UTC

Ajitesh wrote:Are there any online coursewares available for C or C++?

I don't know any university-provided ones, but another thread in this forum has links to some youtube videos talking about C++ stuff. Don't know the quality.

Return to “Coding”