library for building custom maps?

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

levicc00123

library for building custom maps?

Postby levicc00123 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:32 am UTC

/I'm trying to build a service that lets you upload a shopping list, provide a zipcode and store, and get back a map marked with the rout that lets you get the items you need in one pass.

Does anyone know of a library that aids in the creation of custom maps? If not, is there a guide on how to build such a library? Google hasn't been much help here and I don't think I can use google maps for this because of the size of the maps I'm trying to build and the type of information most useful for a store..

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Steax
SecondTalon's Goon Squad

Re: library for building custom maps?

Postby Steax » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:55 am UTC

Google Maps is generally the go-to service for this kind of thing. Can you be more specific on why it won't work for you? It lets you plot down routes and waypoints, so you just need your software to do the plotting.
In Minecraft, I use the username Rirez.

mr-mitch

Postby mr-mitch » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

You might want to use Google Latitude's API http://code.google.com/apis/latitude/v1/reference.html in order to track the location, and overlay coordinates over the map of the store, and the graph of your TSP.

zed0

Postby zed0 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:47 am UTC

I don't know if it's of use to you but I recently came across TileMill and thought of this thread. I haven't investigated it all that thoroughly but, as far as I can tell, it has most of the features you are looking for.

Return to “Coding”