The Red Spider Project

A place to discuss the implementation and style of computer programs.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

FireRogue

Re: The Red Spider Project

Postby FireRogue » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:40 pm UTC

I would avoid the redundancy and just create it manually for testing.
If that is the only feature introduced in your branch there's no reason not to merge it, and if not, that's an important fix, split it off to its own channel and merge that.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:34 am UTC

The branch in question is rsshell-workdir and it only needs testing before it can be merged. I would prefer not to check in just the /work creation code because that's additional effort for me. :)
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

nebotron

Postby nebotron » Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:46 am UTC

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned before, but my new random number generator may be useful to the project. It queries the xkcd page for "Random Comic" and returns the index of the comic which is returned, normalized by the number of comics published.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:09 am UTC

Please do contribute!
"There are only two hard problems in computer science: cache coherence, naming things, and off-by-one errors." (Phil Karlton and Leon Bambrick)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:04 pm UTC

Fun thing: I merged two branches today. They had been waiting for way too long!

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

wesleyac

Postby wesleyac » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:07 am UTC

Hi there,

I've been working on a text-adventure game about raptors as part of this project, and was wondering if there's a place I can put it for other people to test it and add stuff and/or report bugs.

prehaps a "testing" branch?

It seems I cannot post a link without it being spam.
My username on github is the same as my username here, if anyone wants to look at the raptorgame.

I'll probably send a pull request in a couple of days, once I add more areas and raptor fighting :D

wesleyac

Postby wesleyac » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:54 pm UTC

Hi,

I just sent a pull request. It adds a help command.
usage:

Code: Select all

[wesley@evilbox the-red-spider-project]$ rshelp
The following commands are available:
level_up
json-parse
random-number
godel
fortune
xkcd-search
rshelp
xkcd-fetch
summon

It also runs whenever you start rsshell/

It still needs to be tested on Windows and OS X.
If you have windows or OSX, please test it!

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Oct 14, 2013 8:47 am UTC

Hey wesleyac, welcome to the project!

I'm currently reviewing your rshelp command, I'll reply to the pull request when I'm done. Thanks for the hard work.

You did the right thing with your raptor game by putting it in its own branch with a speaking name. When you feel ready for your first "beta" release you can just do a pull request on the branch (like you did with rshelp) and tell people how to test it.

You need to have at least 5 posts before you can post links on the xkcd forums. Fortunately anyone who follows the master repo on github will already be aware of your contributions. :)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:00 pm UTC

I had a good RSP day. First I dusted off leo's randomtext command, which, after advshell and advbrowser, is the oldest not-yet-merged program. With my edits it should be ready, but I haven't tested it on Windows or Linux. I submitted a pull request to leo.

Then I edited the homepage to say that the project is like a small operating system, which I think makes it easier to grasp what's going on for most people. I also polished the Readme a bit, currently open for review, and updated the "State of the art" article on the wiki.

Then I re-discovered a pearl that we thought was missing for a long time. Remember json-parse, the mysterious command without documentation? Well it turns out it was documented, but only in the commit message that introduced the command more than one and a half year ago. I wrote an updated version and put it in /doc, so we can now just type "rshelp json-parse". Only now I realise how useful the command is. :)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Xenomortis
Not actually a special flower.

Postby Xenomortis » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:06 pm UTC

So my Raspberry Pi suffices as a *nix system I can test code on.

Wrote a little class to act as a layer between my code and the console/terminal - to hide all the ugly #ifdefs.
Started rewriting my game of life program to use it, and it just progressed to a total rewrite.
It doesn't, as yet, have all the functionality the old code did, but it works on both Windows and Raspbian Linux (kind of - the display is a little screwy for large grids).

No makefile. No idea how to handle compiling to use with everything else across the different platforms.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:26 am UTC

Great to hear from you in this context again!

I'll try to have a look at the makefile stuff within the next two weeks. As far as I can tell right now from viewing your commit it shouldn't be too hard.

What functionality from the old code is currently missing? Is it a big loss?

I seem to recall that somebody said something about Raspberry Pi in an issue ticket, recently. Was it you?

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 am UTC

Only a toroidal array at the moment - klein, surface and projective plane need to be added again (not hard).
The previous iteration ran a second thread to test for keyboard input that halted the program, the current one doesn't (it runs for a fixed number of frames).
Then there's boring stuff like command line arguments and help text that needs to be added.

Strange thing though; I swear the new version runs slower and draws to the console less cleanly (you can see the cursor flickering on Windows), but running the new and the old code under a profiler suggests that the new code is at least as fast (and responds better to MSVC's fast-code optimisations). I'm guessing all the pointer dereferencing hurts the drawing routine.

JPlus wrote:I seem to recall that somebody said something about Raspberry Pi in an issue ticket, recently. Was it you?

No idea - I don't remember doing so.

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:54 am UTC

Xenomortis wrote:Strange thing though; I swear the new version runs slower and draws to the console less cleanly (you can see the cursor flickering on Windows), but running the new and the old code under a profiler suggests that the new code is at least as fast (and responds better to MSVC's fast-code optimisations). I'm guessing all the pointer dereferencing hurts the drawing routine.

Turns out the new code was positioning the console/terminal cursor onto every cell, instead of only cells that had changed. Fixing that means it outspeeds the old program massively (the original stored the grid as an array of arrays, rather than as a single large array).

Added the alternative topologies, but I'm doubting the code that does the calculations for the spherical geometry. I have a feeling array indices have been mixed up, but I didn't have the energy to check them when I was copying the code.
As a result, I'm doubting the projective plane topology too.

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:43 pm UTC

I noticed the Godel numbering idea, and although I don't necessarily want to get involved in the Red Spider Project, this seemed interesting. Started working on it yesterday, and this is what I coded up. A possible addition to the project, or would requiring a Haskell interpreter add too much bloat to what is now essentially a Python project? Or perhaps it doesn't fit for other reason - let me know. :-)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:41 am UTC

Hey Negrebskoh, nice to hear from you!

New programming languages are still completely welcome. It does not matter that most of our stuff is currently written in Python. Additional programming languages are "good bloat", so to speak, just like additional participants and additional programs.

It appears that somebody else beat you to the Gödel numbering idea, though. We've had this on board for a couple of months now. It isn't necessarily bad to have two Gödel numbering programs; perhaps your program offers something that the other does not?

If your program is to be included in our project, some adjustments might be necessary to make it integrate nicely. In particular, think about the license. Perhaps using a different license from the rest of the project isn't out of the question, but it would be nice if you could give a thought to our MIT-based license.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:16 am UTC

Oops, seems I missed that one. Oh well, I'll take a look at it and see if there's enough of a difference to make this a good addition to the project as well. If not, I'm sure I'll come up with something new within a day. ;-) I'll make sure to look at the license issue as well.

Somewhat unrelatedly, would anyone mind if I overhauled the setup program sometime? The mere fact that it modifies my ~/.profile already makes me shudder - building and installing should preferably be separate processes, and it definitely should not touch my configuration files without me knowing about it up front. Not sure what the rest of the script looks like, but I'll take a look sometime this week, probably.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:05 am UTC

Change whatever you want. In the worst case, we will not merge your pull request. :)

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:24 am UTC

A little update to reassure people that the project is still alive. :)

Since Xenomortis posted about his latest improvements on the game of spiders, a GitHub user named sleepingdrone joined us and three new subprojects have appeared. Wesley is working on an ASCII art video streamer and a text adventure game about the raptor apocalypse. sleepingdrone is working on a geohashing program. Wesley and sleepingdrone have also both worked on improvements to the setup script, one of which I merged yesterday. Apart from that, mrhmouse merged leo's randomtext command; it's a very nice demonstration of Markov chains.

zed0, mrhmouse and me are on the IRC channel most of the time. I'm currently looking into ways to make our project more appealing to a wider audience (if you have any tips please let me know).

For newbies stumbling across this thread in the very near future: the Readme contains a very short guide to getting started. For a more elaborate guide please have a look at our wiki. GitHub also offers a nice tutorial that is automatically displayed to you when you make an account. If you are looking for something to help out with, we have several subprojects that need dusting off which you can find in our issue list. We also have a list of free ideas.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Negrebskoh

Postby Negrebskoh » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:09 pm UTC

No esoteric language yet, but you may be interested in the minimal stack-based VM I just wrote in C. It's interactive, has some stack-based functionality (push, pop, add), and minimal flow control (jmp and ifeq - which jumps if the top value on the stack /= 0). No docs or comments right now, sorry, but then again it's less than 400 lines of C. A place for such a program in the project somewhere?

EDIT: I'm terribly sorry for the verbosity and terribleness of handle in interactive.c, by the way. I couldn't be bothered to write a better version with so few options in the language.
Last edited by Negrebskoh on Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:16 pm UTC

Sure thing! Just fork the project, start a new branch with the name wspace-stackvm, copy your source files to it and do a pull request. We'll then use the pull request to discuss what else needs to be done (e.g. some minimal form of documentation will be necessary at some point).

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:41 pm UTC

How do people feel about me using stuff from C++11? In particular, for it's std::thread?
I ask because I don't think GCC has C++11 support enabled by default and I don't know if MinGW has it ported.

I may not anyway, if only because my Visual Studio install doesn't have it (VS 2010).
Guess I could get VS2012 Express.

The alternative is to write a small thread class myself, or use Boost.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:05 am UTC

I'm totally fine with it if you use C++11 and/or Boost. We can run GCC with --std=c++11 when we compile your stuff and without it for somebody else's stuff, if any other C++ contributions appear. Same reasoning applies to other compilers.

Unless you're an assembly junkie and you know Windows, Linux as well as OS X inside out, I recommend against writing your own thread class.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:13 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:Unless you're an assembly junkie and you know Windows, Linux as well as OS X inside out, I recommend against writing your own thread class.

It would just be a wrapper for the "create thread" and "join" parts, since that's all I need.
But using C++11 would be the more sane approach.

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:13 am UTC

So does anyone know if the transcript is ever populated in the JSON? Because I think it would be kind of nice to have a text-to-speech reader for the hard of hearing.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:57 am UTC

Thesh wrote:So does anyone know if the transcript is ever populated in the JSON? Because I think it would be kind of nice to have a text-to-speech reader for the hard of hearing.

I was going to say "Sure! But the transcript transcriber(s) take a little while to do their thing".
But I just tested some of my Python xkcd comic downloaders and the transcripts have disappeared! :( WTF?!

EDIT
Eg, here's the transcript from #208, which I posted to another forum on 2014.03.20:

Narrator: Whenever I learn a new skill I concoct elaborate fantasy scenarios where it lets me save the day.
Woman: Oh no! The killer must have followed her on vacation!
{Woman points to computer}
Woman: But to find them we’d need to search through 200MB of emails looking for something formatted like an address!
Man: It’s hopeless!
Offpanel voice: Everybody stand back.
Offpanel voice: I know regular expressions.
{A man swings in on a rope, toward the computer}
<<tap tap>>
<<PERL!>>
{The man swings away, and the other characters cheer}

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:25 am UTC

Some questions for clarity:

Are we talking about the xkcd-fetch database in particular, or about the JSON feed from xkcd.com in general?

Have all transcripts disappeared, or only those from a certain comic number onwards? (I have an old xkcd-fetch database going to 1320, and the last three comics have an empty transcript but 1317 doesn't).

Just to be on the safe side I'm not updating xkcd-fetch until I know more. :P

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:35 am UTC

I was just talking about the JSON feed from xkcd.com, using this URL format:

"http://xkcd.com/%d/info.0.json" % comic_number

I tested a dozen or so comic numbers at random, including old favourites like 163 & 169, and they now all have an empty string for the transcript.

So please don't update your xkcd-fetch database until this has been fixed (or we find out WTF's happening).

EDIT

Uh-oh! I just noticed that the link field is also an empty string.

I'm just going to write a little Python script to do some more extensive testing...

EDIT 2
:oops: Clearly, the 'link' field doesn't mean what I thought it did - it's for external links; I thought it was a link to the comic itself. Sorry.
Last edited by PM 2Ring on Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:10 am UTC

It's not looking good.

I've just run the program below on the 1 - 600 range, and none of them have a non-empty transcript.

CheckxkcdJSON.py

#! /usr/bin/env python

''' Check the 'transcript' field from the xkcd comic JSON feed
    for a range of comic numbers.

PM 2Ring 2014.04.25
'''

import sys, urllib2, json

def Check_JSON(comic_number):
    url = "http://xkcd.com/%s/info.0.json" % comic_number

try:
        f = urllib2.urlopen(url)
        json_data = f.read()
        f.close()
    except urllib2.HTTPError, e:
        print e, url
        return None

#Load data into a dict
    d = json.loads(json_data)
    if d['transcript']:
        return d
    else:
        return None

def main():
    lonum = len(sys.argv) > 1 and int(sys.argv[1]) or 1
    hinum = len(sys.argv) > 2 and int(sys.argv[2]) or lonum
    if hinum < lonum:
        lonum, hinum = hinum, lonum

for i in xrange(lonum, hinum + 1):
        print i
        d = Check_JSON(i)
        if d:
            print json.dumps(d, sort_keys=True, indent=4)   

if __name__ == '__main__':
    main()

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:35 pm UTC

So, er, warn Davean?

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:55 am UTC

Jplus wrote:So, er, warn Davean?

I guess so.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:59 pm UTC

I sent him a PM.

Just a question out of curiosity (enthusiasm): Thesh, does the fact that you're posting here about the JSON feed mean that you're using xkcd-fetch? I mean, by all means you're absolutely welcome to post here otherwise, but if you are actually using it I'm really excited to hear that, because it would be the first evidence that I know of that people who aren't much involved in RSP development (yet) might still be using RSP programs.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Thesh
Made to Fuck Dinosaurs

Postby Thesh » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:16 pm UTC

I was actually just reading about Festival and thought it could be applied to this project.
Honesty replaced by greed, they gave us the reason to fight and bleed
They try to torch our faith and hope, spit at our presence and detest our goals

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:11 am UTC

That sounds really exciting!

I attached linked my old xkcd-fetch database with nonempty transcripts up to 1317, in case you want to use it for testing.
Why on earth aren't we allowed to attach txt attachments?

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Mon May 12, 2014 11:48 pm UTC

Ok, so I talked to davean at IRC and he was rather surprised by the problem I described. Sure enough, he fired up http://xkcd.com/1300/info.0.json and it included a nonempty transcript just fine. He said he didn't change anything about the JSON feed recently. I then decided to give it a try and told xkcd-fetch to update its database. No problem at all, most comics have a transcripts and the ones that don't are either very recent or not supposed to have a transcript anyway.

Problem solved?

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:28 pm UTC

Jplus wrote:Problem solved?

I guess so. I just tested 1-100 and 1000-1100, and they're all fine. It'd be nice to know why the transcripts disappeared for a while. Let's just hope they don't do it again; CNR bugs are damned annoying. :)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:35 pm UTC

Did we ever decide how we'd handle compiled programs?
We could require Windows users to install ports for make and gcc (although I seem to remember having trouble with MinGW when it came to C++11).
That said, if we do assume make, we can't really dump everything in the same /src folder.

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:09 pm UTC

There hasn't been any definitive decision on the matter. My plan was to create a CMake build file that everyone could add to (possibly also subdirectories), but I haven't got very far with that yet, didn't even push anything.

For the time being, I think anything goes as long as it can be made to work with all three of our supported platforms. By the way, if you want some help with build-automating your game of life variant on non-Windows, let me know.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:47 pm UTC

Well I have a makefile (largely cargo-culted / copy-pasta'd from previous projects) and I can compile on both Debian linux and Windows (although I've forgotten exactly which MinGW version I have).

Jplus

Postby Jplus » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:08 pm UTC

I think on the long term it should also work with "vanilla" visual studio on windows, but for the time being, what you describe should be good enough.

coding and xkcd combined

(Julian/Julian's)

Xenomortis

Postby Xenomortis » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:14 pm UTC

I know VS Professional or better can actually create a solution from an existing "non-VS" project (with the typical /src, /include, /bin layout).
Express can't though, which is unfortunate.

Return to “Coding”