Is there a way to track the spread of a specific virus, etc?

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Icalasari

Is there a way to track the spread of a specific virus, etc?

Postby Icalasari » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:47 am UTC

I'm doing an art assignment* based on forces of nature, and I decided to go for the internet itself being a force of nature (because let's face it, freaking thing is vast)

The base place is that each country gets a circle with their colour. Size of the circle depends on how many got infected total, and opacity would be decided by period of time it was virulent. I may change things if I decide to follow multiple viruses or perhaps memetic information

Trouble is... I'm not sure how to track this information down. knowyourmeme is a start if I go for... That memetic information, but it doesn't let me know specifics for each country. And viruses I really have no idea where to even begin to get the info needed

So, advice? And I do hope this is the right place to ask

*Yep I'm an art major get your laughs out now :P

Mikemk

Re: Is there a way to track the spread of a specific virus,

Postby Mikemk » Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:12 am UTC

Actually, (all this information about every discovered virus, how the virus worked, how it was stopped, how many were infected, where it had the most infections, ...) is stored in a database somewhere. I don't know where/ip/that stuff, but for good reason, it's very restricted access. (Norton, Avast, lots of popular antivirus have access, so you could try asking one of them, but it's not likely you'll get much)
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

Bloopy

Postby Bloopy » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:22 pm UTC

Is Google Trends any use? You could interpret the map as the spread, and the graph as the period of time. Search for the name of a specific virus, eg. http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Alureon

Icalasari

Postby Icalasari » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:30 am UTC

Mikemk wrote:Actually, (all this information about every discovered virus, how the virus worked, how it was stopped, how many were infected, where it had the most infections, ...) is stored in a database somewhere. I don't know where/ip/that stuff, but for good reason, it's very restricted access. (Norton, Avast, lots of popular antivirus have access, so you could try asking one of them, but it's not likely you'll get much)

That sucks

Bloopy wrote:Is Google Trends any use? You could interpret the map as the spread, and the graph as the period of time. Search for the name of a specific virus, eg. http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=Alureon

But this is very useful and still lets me do what I have planned. Thank you very much! I'll be sure to share the project upon its completion

Return to “Computer Science”