Distributed web (wiki-web)

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Orangutanlibrarian

Distributed web (wiki-web)

Postby Orangutanlibrarian » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

I want to check if it has been done before: websites with no servers. this would leave them invulnerable to DDOS attacks and having the servers raided or shut down.

I see it being manahed something like bit torrent, with web pages being hosted by many peers and hyper-links downloading torrent files for more pages.

Obviously this my version is simplistic, there needs to be a way of updating all the pages simultaneously and some from of security is required.

Has this been done or should i patent it :lol:

gametaku

Re: Distributed web (wiki-web)

Postby gametaku » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:15 pm UTC

Orangutanlibrarian wrote:I want to check if it has been done before: websites with no servers. this would leave them invulnerable to DDOS attacks and having the servers raided or shut down.

I presume you mean no central servers. Since it's impossible to have a network with out any computers acting as servers. (well you could but no data would be transferred.)

I see it being manahed something like bit torrent, with web pages being hosted by many peers and hyper-links downloading torrent files for more pages.

Obviously this my version is simplistic, there needs to be a way of updating all the pages simultaneously and some from of security is required.

Has this been done or should i patent it :lol:

Something similar to Osiris

freakish777

Re: Distributed web (wiki-web)

Postby freakish777 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:51 pm UTC

Orangutanlibrarian wrote:I want to check if it has been done before: websites with no servers. this would leave them invulnerable to DDOS attacks and having the servers raided or shut down.

Never going to happen.

The majority of websites are developed and maintained by companies who are looking to make a profit. They can't make a profit without some type of uptime guarantee. They can't guarantee uptime on a distributed model similar to bit torrent like you're suggesting ("Argh! Why won't my Torrent at 99% complete! Please someone seed!").

Nevermind the mess and degraded performance that that would create trying to direct traffic to disparate sources.

Return to “Computer Science”