Does something like this exist?

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

Dash_Riprock

Does something like this exist?

Postby Dash_Riprock » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:25 am UTC

I have been working on some computer design stuff, and I'm trying to gather data on typical use cases in assembly.

I want an application that will run a given binary and allow me to gather arbitrary information about it, e.g. record every instance of a floating point addition, or find the average value of integers stored into memory. Optimally something that will let me just run a script inside of it, but if there is a relatively simple open-source debugger of some sort that I could modify, that would work too.

Does anyone know of something could be used for that given some reasonable amount of finagling? Thanks for any ideas.

PM 2Ring

Re: Does something like this exist?

Postby PM 2Ring » Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:49 am UTC

I guess you might be able to do all that you want with a good debugger, but I'd say you'd be better off using an emulator.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:57 am UTC

Valgrind might be a useful tool to use as a framework to get what you're after? I'm not sure how easily extensible it is, though...

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

LikwidCirkel

Postby LikwidCirkel » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

I bet you could do some of this with QEMU with a bit of hacking. It's a pretty flexible tool with some very advanced features and isn't necessarily very beginner-friendly... but still works well!

It's commonly used as a base for profiling tools and emulators for embedded development.

Dash_Riprock

Postby Dash_Riprock » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:22 am UTC

Alright, thanks for the suggestions. I am currently looking into OVPsim, which seems very well suited for my purpose. If that fails, I'll either try QEMU or maybe just making it from scratch.

Return to “Computer Science”