Cellular Automata to Simulate Game Physics

A place to discuss the science of computers and programs, from algorithms to computability.

Formal proofs preferred.

Moderators: phlip, Moderators General, Prelates

AnsisMalins

Cellular Automata to Simulate Game Physics

Postby AnsisMalins » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:13 am UTC

A simulated world is a recurring theme in science fiction (e.g. Permutation City). And the basic algorithm usually is some unspecified cellular automaton the main property of which is that it gives rise to simpler-than-reality atoms so you can have realistic solid objects and simple chemistry. Contrast this to how we simulate worlds now where the space is "empty" and you have lists of objects in it and their interactions are simulated at macro level. So I started googling around to see if anyone has tried to come up with such a cellular automaton, and got this thread. So I guess this is a good place to talk these kinds of questions.

How would one go about designing such a cellular automaton? Has anyone tried this? Are there any papers or other reading material on this?

I imagine the the rules must be something that can have all kinds of spaceships that can travel at any angle and speed and bounce around like marble balls.

snowyowl

Re: Cellular Automata to Simulate Game Physics

Postby snowyowl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:57 pm UTC

Fluid dynamics can be (and often is) simulated with cellular automata. I think soft-body physics might qualify as well. I don't know of anything beyond that, but I'm not an expert.
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Return to “Computer Science”