The Forum Games Discussion Thread - Farming RPG Coming Soon

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Djehutynakht

Re: The Forum Games Discussion Thread

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Nov 25, 2015 10:19 am UTC

For anyone still waiting on it, I'm temporarily suspending "Crisis Room".

But I wanted to ask, would anyone be interested in creating some sort of collaborative story game? I'm in a bit of a storytelling mood.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:08 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:would anyone be interested in creating some sort of collaborative story game?

Yes.

patzer

Postby patzer » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:51 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:But I wanted to ask, would anyone be interested in creating some sort of collaborative story game? I'm in a bit of a storytelling mood.

like this?
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:44 am UTC

Not quite one of those "everybody add a sentence" bits. Something a bit more elaborative. I guess sort of an RPG is what I'm getting at, although more based around storytelling than the achievements of levels and stats and etc. etc.

The old Create-a-Countries game that ODF and a few others played is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:47 am UTC

Since I'm back (hopefully :L. I'm going to try really hard to stay on this time) I'm always up for a create a country, and the collab world building I want to start again (and maybe even a new game of atwar, I missed out on the last one). Either of those would be cool to start again. I too am in a storytelling mood and I think that is what will get me full invested in here again. (if collab world build starts up again, I might put in a whole lot of effort into creating an overhaul mod for Crusader Kings II, in which I'll change the entire map and lore to our collab world. It will take no doubt hundreds of hours adding in events, special portraits (like snakes, golems, etc), and diplomacy, and different start dates. This would be a far off project that is only a possibility, but if the thread starts up well then I might do it.)
Last edited by KingTip on Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Nov 27, 2015 2:58 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Not quite one of those "everybody add a sentence" bits. Something a bit more elaborative. I guess sort of an RPG is what I'm getting at, although more based around storytelling than the achievements of levels and stats and etc. etc.

The old Create-a-Countries game that ODF and a few others played is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of.

Ah yes. I remember that Create a Country game; it was quite interesting. Shame it died.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=66813 -this is first one, which I had totally forgotten about actually!

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=98991 - this was the one I was thinking of, in a fantasy world
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 27, 2015 9:32 am UTC

Ah yes. I re-read quite a bit of Fantasy Countries. We had some interesting plotlines. I think it was ODF's country I was most intrigued with. A civilization completely entwined around intrigue.

Would anybody be interested in a reboot? I've had it in mind.

Or if we wanted to we could even go to an older FC predecessor, a game called "Forum Nation", which was short lived, but the idea in essence is that we were all people in one country/government, instead of having our own countries.

KingTip

Postby KingTip » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:13 pm UTC

Yeah reboot would be fun
I'm baaaaaaaaack! ( <- sort of ironic cause I left for a little bit, but I might be back...)

Look around you
Strex.
Look inside you
Strex.
Go to sleep
Strex.
Believe in a smiling god.

StrexCorp.
It is everything.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:17 am UTC

I've been looking at some of the games on mafiascum.net. I want to start some of them, but I don't know if I'll get enough players. Many of their games are forum adaptations of popular game shows. So I've decided to see if anyone would be interested in an adaptation of "Deal or No Deal".

It would work like this:

Several players (I'm looking for at least 3 to start) would sign up. Then the first player on that list selects one of 26 cases, which hold dollar amounts from $0.01 up to $1,000,000. These amounts are randomly determined before the game starts. Then the contestant selects a case to use, which will not be revealed until the end of the game (or until they take a deal, whichever happens first). Then they proceed to select other cases, starting at 6, and decreasing by one for each round until round 9. Between rounds, the banker offers an amount of money based mostly on the cases picked during that round and what's left on the board. The contestant may accept the offer (deal) or decline (no deal). If the say deal, they get that money, and their case is revealed. If they say "no deal", then they move onto the next round. If they make it to the end of round 9 without accepting an offer, they either get to keep their own case or switch to the one remaining case. Then the contents of that case are revealed.

If anyone is interested, feel free to say so. Once I have three sign-ups, the thread will start. (New sign-ups will still be open then.)
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

careyhammer

Postby careyhammer » Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:57 pm UTC

Check this out:http://forum.mafiascum.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=64298

You could run the game like this. I would play.
DUCK!

username5243

Postby username5243 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:38 pm UTC

Alrighty. I'm letting you play, if you wouldn't mind.

As a bonus, the other players will each be asigned a random case to guess. If more than half of the slots for cases are filled, bots will take the remaining slots.

One question, can you find out what algorithm is being used for the bank offers? Other than that, I'll be fine. Or maybe we'd just have to have the person running that game come over here if they won't share what they're doing.

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:43 pm UTC

username5243 wrote:One question, can you find out what algorithm is being used for the bank offers?

It's this:

The middle weighted average. Basically you square all the values, take the mean, and square root them.

--------

Also, Ghost III is now in sign ups, it's a game where some players are given a secret word and others try to guess it after given hints. It's played with mafia mechanics.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:49 pm UTC

Okay, thanks! Do you want to play? If so, then I only need one more person to start!

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:42 pm UTC

Started a new Superhero Rumble. Instead of using public powers to guarantee no vanilla players, I'm using a secondary group of powers called MechSuits and a special betting method to ensure every player gets 1 MechSuit (with powers still being potentially unevenly won).

Come join!
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

careyhammer

Postby careyhammer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:50 pm UTC

username5243 wrote:Okay, thanks! Do you want to play? If so, then I only need one more person to start!

Start the Deal or No Deal thread and you will probably get more players
DUCK!

12obin

Postby 12obin » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:51 pm UTC

Are pm's weird for everyone? stuff goes to my outbox and just chills there instead of going to Sent. it seems all very arbitrary.

also, I would get on board with a collaborative storytelling thing, probably.
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:58 pm UTC

It's in your outbox until it is read. That is, with PMs you can tell exactly when the other person has received your message, unlike any other medium I can think of.

12obin wrote:also, I would get on board with a collaborative storytelling thing, probably.

It seems Lawrencelot's Vendetta game has us covered on that!

12obin

Postby 12obin » Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:52 pm UTC

Vytron wrote:It's in your outbox until it is read. That is, with PMs you can tell exactly when the other person has received your message, unlike any other medium I can think of.

Somebody's not on facebook.
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:26 pm UTC

I noticed that the moderated games list is severely out of date (over half the games there are over or haven't been updated in months). I think that thread is pretty much guaranteed to be forgotten about unless it's stickied.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:52 pm UTC

Does this look about right for the current games that should be in the moderated games thread?

Upcoming games, currently accepting sign-ups:
1. Anti-Aliased Assassins Are Angry (Vytron)
2. Solar System Haggle (username5243)
3. Super Robot Rumble (Snark)

Active games, new players are welcome to join:
1. Dictionary Game (Rotating moderation)
2. Vendetta (Lawrencelot)
3. Nomy 2.0 (Group moderation)
4. Cards against Humanity (Rotating moderation)
5. Where in the World is ThirdParty? (ThirdParty)
6. Where in the World is adnapemit? V (adnapemit)

Active games, new players cannot join:
1. Texas Hold 'em 2.0 (Vytron)
2. Risk (Vytron)
3. Deal or No Deal! (username5243)
4. Diplomacy (Suzaku)
5. Blind Quartets 4.3 (Group moderation)

Proposed future games (talk about them in the discussion thread!):

Currently inactive, could probably be revived:
1. North Pole Wars (Group moderation)
2. A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Forum Games (Group moderation)
3. Dixit(Rotating moderation)
4. xkcDixit (Rotating moderation)
Last edited by faubiguy on Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:49 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:31 pm UTC

The only one that I don't see is Where in the World is adnapemit? V.

Off-topic: Could a Design by Committee game work for initially setting up an InfiNomic/Branching Nomic? (As discussed on the last page.)
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:48 pm UTC

Thanks, I'd missed that one. I've edited it in to my previous post.

@Off topic: I think the initial ruleset for those would be simple enough that it would be better to create them in a more open ended discussion (like this thread). It would be an interesting experiment though, so if you want to create one to see how it works I'd participate.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:52 pm UTC

And Elementz is missing, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a game

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:57 pm UTC

Yeah, I didn't count elementz as a moderated game. I'd say it's a game, but closer to count to a million or corrupt a wish than most of these in terms of gameplay.

As for other moderated games, since there's only a few in signups right now, I'd love to see a new Hexattack/Hexassault, Thumbtacks, or Mercatores, with modifactions and/or additions as needed. I would have included haggle, but in collecting the links for the updated moderated gamed list I noticed username has one in signups, so i'll probably sign up for that. I'd be willing to mod thumbtacks or mercatores if there's interest from others.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:32 pm UTC

I'd love to play in Mercatores. I never thought there was a chance of playing in a game I made up. You can find some feedback on the game in the game thread, mainly by Adam H, which can be useful in improving the game. Or, since you like these things, you could try to make part of the game automatic with a script somehow (include variable prices maybe? not sure how hard it would be to implement)

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:47 pm UTC

That... would actually be possible. I wonder what other forum games are able to have a scripted mod? Hexattack would be, as would Vendetta and Mercatores, and perhaps even Nomic.
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:53 pm UTC

I've always thought that the efforts on keeping up a list of moderated games has never been worth it. It's better to put efforts into running more games, or playing them...

We already had the times when we didn't have a list, and the times when we did, and the players that joined games remained about the same. The mafia games that i ran filled up without any advertizements, while my current game struggling to fill was advertized everywhere.

So to me, it looks like useless over-organization, and specially not worth an extra sticky thread.

username5243

Postby username5243 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:52 pm UTC

There's a Thumbtacks game waiting for one more player if anyone's interested.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:26 pm UTC

I'll definitely be running Mercatores. I'll try to have a thread up for that sometime in the next week.

As for ensuring players have an incentive to trade with others into the late game, Adam H suggested changing the prices in regions with more than one office. An alternative idea would be to increase the price of offices in a region exponentially the more there are. So, for example, the first office in a region would be 15000, then the next would be 45000, then 135000 (or possibly only a 2x or 2.5x increase).

That would make it more economical in a lot of circumstances for players to trade with others who are already in a region than to buy a second or third office there. It would also remove the need to specifically restrict purchases of offices to provinces with less offices, and put more importance on upgrading existing offices to increase capacity. Also offices could probably be made tradeable. Thoughts?

Also, for myth powers, would it be best to use the same myth powers as the last game, use completely new ones, or a combination of the two? Or should myth powers be removed completely or replaced with a different mechanic to do something similar?

username5243

Postby username5243 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:27 pm UTC

I'm in!

I've never played, but I'm sure someone will explain what to do...

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:13 pm UTC

@faubiguy: Great! Feel free to change anything about the game you want. Adam H's suggestions seemed pretty good. As for changing the goods or office prices: just do whatever is not too hard for you to mod. The game requires a lot of modding so anything that eases this will help a lot, it is the reason I made all prices static. Your proposal for the offices sounds good, it gives the intended game improvement while getting rid of a weird rule, and it doesn't make it more difficult to mod.

I think the myth powers were a nice game mechanic, and people enjoyed them. You could give it your own twist. And if we keep the 'mean' myth powers, you might consider making offerings private. But if you can think of some other mechanic I'm interested in what you come up with.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:41 am UTC

Please ignore this post

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:58 am UTC

Another test post, please ignore again

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:36 am UTC

I'm considering trying to use a bot to fully automate the moderation of Mercatores (with human oversight, of course). If it works, it allows the moderation to be more responsive and with no errors, and require less manual effort. The downsides are that it's possible there's a bug in the code, and the bot can only understand exactly formatted instructions. I can have an automod bot coded by the end of Friday if we go with that.

Is this a good idea? Any thoughts?

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:22 am UTC

It's odd as I have contradictory opinions.

On one hand, the Mercatores game could be hurt by such a bot, if something goes wrong, or players make typos and it doesn't work at all (a human moderator always carries out kills in Mafia games even if the player mispells "kill", or says "call" instead of checking on Texas Hold them - i.e. the mod knows what the player means without needing exactitude.)

On the other. Man, the coolness factor.

You'd be breaking new ground by having bots moderating games. In fact, I can't play Texas Hold them or Risk on the forum, because either I host or play (nobody else gets up to host.) So if you get this off the ground and manage to have some kind of Gamebot that can be programmed to run games on the forum, that'd be awesome! So your game would be a testbed for things to come.

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:38 am UTC

I think the downside Vytron mentions isn't really there if faubiguy or the players just check if there are no mistakes. I think I made way more mistakes as a human mod, beating me shouldn't be that hard! If players know what syntax they need to use, I don't think typos are as much of a problem: most of us have been using 'non-smart' machines almost our whole life. It worked pretty well for North Pole Wars too.

I'd be very interested in following your progress, so we can use it for other games at some point.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:44 pm UTC

I've started working on the bot. The phpbb client code should be reusable, though a lot of the game-specific code would be hard to adapt for other games. Some of the code (like the part for interpreting bolded actions that match patterns like buy {number} {item} from {region}) would probably be pretty easy to reuse. though

Does anyone know what the character limit for posts is? I'm making the bot split posts that go over the limit (which is probably unlikely, but it's not hard to add and it keeps the game from breaking when the bot can't make its post).

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:14 pm UTC

faubiguy wrote:Does anyone know what the character limit for posts is?

I'd say try it in the Miscellaneous thread

Vytron

Postby Vytron » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:13 am UTC

The standard is to split messages at a maximum of 63536 characters per post, I believe.

SDK

Postby SDK » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:34 am UTC

It's a surprisingly round number, actually.

SDK wrote:Ha! I thought I'd try to copy and paste the chatlog from the messages since I love reading scumchats and would like to see it in future games, but I got this error instead.

Your message contains 142603 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 60000.
The biggest number (63 quintillion googols in debt)

Return to “Forum Games”