The Forum Games Discussion Thread - Farming RPG Coming Soon

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

faubiguy

Re: The Forum Games Discussion Thread - Farming RPG Coming Soon

Postby faubiguy » Sat May 28, 2016 8:00 am UTC

I've resumed working on a generic framework for writing and running forum game bots (like the mercatores mod I tested a while back).

I've only just begun coding, so it'll probably take a few weeks to a month at minimum to show any real results, but the idea is that the framework will handle all the low level details for interacting with forums, connecting to a database, etc., so the game code only needs to deal with the logic of what happens in the game plus whatever high level details are required (e.g. responding to new posts). It would also handle running multiple games concurrently with the same connection to the forums so the games themselves don't have to worry about those details.

Finally, an idea I'm interested in and will probably be able to include is to be able to have multiple different front-ends to the same games and only specify the core logic in one place (e.g. running hexattack on a forum or on a web server, or mafia on forum or irc). In that case it would even be possible to have the same game data at multiple places (e.g. playing a game on the forum, but being able to check the status on a web site which is automatically updated to match the thread), though I'm not sure how useful that would be so I might leave it out if it's too complicated to add.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'd also be willing to explain my plans so far in terms of technical details if anyone happens to be interested, but if not that's fine as well (I imagine I care much more about this than anyone else here :P)

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Sat May 28, 2016 3:04 pm UTC

It sounds awesome. It was a shame the Mercatores game didn't work out as well as expected, as you put so much effort into it, but it had nothing to do with the bot I think. There is so much potential for a generic forum game bot, I wouldn't even know how to begin. I am interested in the technicalities, maybe you can put them in a spoiler in this thread?

I don't know enough about this stuff to say how useful it would be to have multiple front-ends. I think it's best to keep everything for one game in one place, but you could have a behind-the-scenes database or logic for all games somewhere else probably.

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sat May 28, 2016 7:27 pm UTC

Part of the reason for maybe allowing multiple front-ends it that it allows games to be written in a style so the code that controls how the game itself works it kept separate from the code for running it at a specific place, which makes it easier to modify and reuse later even if it's only run at one place at a time.

Details
Spoiler:
In terms of specific details, I'm thinking of having a game host which continually runs, and loads agents and games which communicate through the host. An agent would be a module for communicating with a specific aspect of the outside world. For example the forum agent would control the specific details for logging onto the forum, making posts, and watching threads, then make those facilities available to games. It would also control creation of games on the forum (e.g. creating a new game thread in response to a PM).

The game host would manage what games and agents are loaded, and provide things like scheduling events in the future for games to respond to and accessing a database to store game state. It would also provide to agents the details about what games are installed and what instances of games are currently active.

The game code would be split into one or more frontends and a single core. Each frontend would correspond to a single agent, and would deal with adapting the game to run on that agent (like forum or IRC). It would listen for events from the corresponding agent or game core and in response interact through the agent (like making posts), or sending inputs to the game core (like "Lawrencelot wants to move 3 tiles east" but in a more computer-y format). The inputs sent from frontends would allow different frontends to produce the same inputs in reponse to different events (like a forum post or web server request).

The game core would just listen for inputs from the frontend and update the game state database accordingly, It would also send events back to any frontends active for that particular instance of the game (like "New turn", or "Player inventory changed: faubiguy").

That might sound a bit complicated, so I'd also provide libraries to handle common use cases (like for a game front-end to simply run a piece of code for each new posts made in a given thread without having to deal with the agent directly). That might *still* be too complicated, in which case I'm not sure how to fix it, but hopefully it isn't.

None of the above is set in stone yet, and there could be some useful idea for it I've completely overlooked, but otherwise I'll probably go with something like what I just wrote.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sat May 28, 2016 8:32 pm UTC

Sounds interesting. I think I'd try to make a game (with my relatively pitiful Python skills) at some point. Maybe.

Hopefully. :)

@heuri: Sounds interesting, but I don't even know if you'd be able to get enough players for three countries with population 3.
The Seven Wonders of the World:
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Sun May 29, 2016 1:45 am UTC

I know mafiauniverse has a not that mods some of their games. It is was they are currently using for their big 130+ player tournament. I bet by asking the right people you could get to look at the code if you wanted.

Awhile back I found your mercatores bot thread and I wished I could have been a part of the initial test.

What are the chances of reopening a test thread and activating the not again so we can mess around with it some more from a player perspective?
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

faubiguy

Postby faubiguy » Sun May 29, 2016 2:53 am UTC

Started with the code, which is good. I think I confused myself though, and I'm not really sure what I'm doing now :/

Link to the mess I've made so far

----------------------------------------------------------------

I can certainly restart the mercatores mode bot if that's what you're asking.

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:11 am UTC

I feel like a game like this has been played here before, but would anyone be interested if I ran a game of Coup?
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:27 am UTC

Carlington wrote:I feel like a game like this has been played here before, but would anyone be interested if I ran a game of Coup?

I'd definitely be interested in that.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:19 am UTC

What is coup? Im probably down
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

Beatrice wrote:The world is quiet here.

Tillian wrote:sig'd

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:34 am UTC

A sort of card game. Involves a lot of deception and bluffing.

It's quite fun; I tend to play it every year or so when I visit my step-cousins.

It's usually a very fast real-time game, so I'm not sure how well it would work on Forum Games though.
If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family Anatidae on our hands. –Douglas Adams

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:46 am UTC

That's my main concern as well. I think in forum games format it would need a person to maintain the state of cards, which would require them not playing (I'd be happy enough to fulfil this role). I think aside from drawing cards and so forth, actions could be fairly independently resolved by the players, though, which would allow the game to flow pretty quickly. I was thinking that to make sure all players have a chance to respond to all actions, it might be best that the turn doesn't progress until everyone has either challenged/blocked or confirmed that they aren't going to. patzer, having played before, do you think that would work?

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:28 am UTC

Carlington wrote:That's my main concern as well. I think in forum games format it would need a person to maintain the state of cards, which would require them not playing (I'd be happy enough to fulfil this role).

Yes, I think that's necessary. A bot may be able to maintain the state of the cards, but it's probably easiest to have a person do it.

I'm also happy to fulfil the role of person-maintaining-the-state-of-the-cards, if you wanted to play the game.

I think aside from drawing cards and so forth, actions could be fairly independently resolved by the players, though, which would allow the game to flow pretty quickly. I was thinking that to make sure all players have a chance to respond to all actions, it might be best that the turn doesn't progress until everyone has either challenged/blocked or confirmed that they aren't going to. patzer, having played before, do you think that would work?

Depends on what the action is.
"Take one coin" can't be blocked or challenged, so we can go on to the next turn immediately.

"Take two coins" or "Take three coins" can be blocked or challenged respectively, so you need to wait for all players to do so/ confirm that they aren't doing so, before the game can progress.

Exchanging cards (with a supposed ambassador) can be challenged, so you need to wait for all players to do so/ confirm that they aren't doing so, and then the moderator needs to deal a new card to the person making the exchange.

Assassination of player X: all players need to confirm that they aren't challenging the action, and player X needs to either claim possession of a Contessa or relinquish a card. (if the latter, maybe it's done by sending an @mod spoiler with the name of the card in it?)

Coup of player X: this can't be blocked, so you don't need to wait for everyone, but you still need to wait for player X to send an @mod spoiler with the name of the card that they're forfeiting.

By the way, here are the instructions for how to play Coup: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/131357/coup

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:29 am UTC

Do forfeited cards go back into the deck? I've played that forfeited cards are turned face up and go out of play, so the player can reveal a card on the honour system and the mod would only be needed to double check it.

patzer

Postby patzer » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:02 am UTC

Carlington wrote:Do forfeited cards go back into the deck? I've played that forfeited cards are turned face up and go out of play, so the player can reveal a card on the honour system and the mod would only be needed to double check it.

The way I've played it, forfeited cards go out of play, but they are not turned face up.

Your method would work just as well, though.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:51 am UTC

OK, so the Latest edition of Roll To Dodge ("You're having a Lava Edition") seems to have died (it's been a couple of weeks and no sign of the mod), so... any objections to/interest in a similar game, somewhat inspired by that (and a few other influences)? I have a few ideas that, put together, might be a good laugh...

Not that I've modded a game before, but Roll To Dodge sounds fun and straightforward as a framework for something lighthearted and amusing.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Mauthe Dhoo

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:28 pm UTC

Sure! I'd join.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:31 am UTC

Shiny! On the basis that usually a few more people pop up once there's actually something running, I'll get something ready for signups over the next couple of days. ;-D

username5243

Postby username5243 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:39 pm UTC

Hmm.. What moderated games are currently going on? Do we need more?

I think what I want to do is a more traditional card/dice game, Crazy Eights, Yahtzee, or even Mao or something.

I'll probably do some of these games if anyone's interested, but are there any past gkmes on here (or any games) that you want to see?
This is a signature, in case you didn't notice.

Current tokens: 66.562

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 8:44 am UTC

Echo244 wrote:Shiny! On the basis that usually a few more people pop up once there's actually something running, I'll get something ready for signups over the next couple of days. ;-D

...aargh, RL stuff has cropped up. It's either going to need a co-mod or be delayed somewhat.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:40 pm UTC

Create your own society

I'd like to run a game similar to previous Create your own Country games. (Links here, and here; also I guess this and this, though they didn't get as far)

However, this time, instead of running an entire country for yourself and only tangentially interacting with the other players through diplomacy, you'd run one part of the society. So you could have the military, be in charge of religion, control the merchants, or spies, or really whatever you can come up with. Or even two or three areas. But the more you try to do at the same time, the more difficulty you'll face.

You'd be able to change what you are in charge off over time. So for instance a religious group might over time get enforcers and gradually take over more and more military duties. Then, the original religious purpose of the group could fade as other beliefs take over, and you are left with a purely military focus. So you definitely aren't stuck in the role that you originally want to try.

With this, the players would play more closely together, so there is more opportunity for interaction. Furthermore, it should enable more different kinds or interaction, since there is more incentive to work together when you represent parts of the same society. And more ways to work against each other, too, since you are much closer to the other players than when they have their own closed off country half a continent away.

And you wouldn't be limited to one country. After all, trade, religions, and many other social conventions usually extend to several countries. I figure an area of maybe four to six countries is a good starting point, and the players should usually be able to extend their reach into at least half of those countries. This also makes wars more interesting, since you can actually take out another country without taking out another player.

I would also like to try to progress the game faster, so that we can cover a few centuries and have society change significantly over that time.

Also, possibly magic because I like magic.

Is this something that you'd be interested in playing? I'd be grateful for any comments.

Sabrar

Postby Sabrar » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:52 pm UTC

Shameless self-promotion time. Sign-ups for Unusual Role Mafia are open, should be quite different from previous games. Please have a look and see if it's something you would be interested in!

JackHK

Postby JackHK » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:10 pm UTC

orangedragonfire wrote:
Create your own society

I'd like to run a game similar to previous Create your own Country games. (Links here, and here; also I guess this and this, though they didn't get as far)

However, this time, instead of running an entire country for yourself and only tangentially interacting with the other players through diplomacy, you'd run one part of the society. So you could have the military, be in charge of religion, control the merchants, or spies, or really whatever you can come up with. Or even two or three areas. But the more you try to do at the same time, the more difficulty you'll face.

You'd be able to change what you are in charge off over time. So for instance a religious group might over time get enforcers and gradually take over more and more military duties. Then, the original religious purpose of the group could fade as other beliefs take over, and you are left with a purely military focus. So you definitely aren't stuck in the role that you originally want to try.

With this, the players would play more closely together, so there is more opportunity for interaction. Furthermore, it should enable more different kinds or interaction, since there is more incentive to work together when you represent parts of the same society. And more ways to work against each other, too, since you are much closer to the other players than when they have their own closed off country half a continent away.

And you wouldn't be limited to one country. After all, trade, religions, and many other social conventions usually extend to several countries. I figure an area of maybe four to six countries is a good starting point, and the players should usually be able to extend their reach into at least half of those countries. This also makes wars more interesting, since you can actually take out another country without taking out another player.

I would also like to try to progress the game faster, so that we can cover a few centuries and have society change significantly over that time.

Also, possibly magic because I like magic.

Is this something that you'd be interested in playing? I'd be grateful for any comments.

This sounds very interesting!

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:55 am UTC

Indeed, odf's game sounds interesting. My... certainty of continual time for involvement is low (hence not leaping in to Sabrar's Unusual Role Mafia game), so something where low-involvement or patchy-involvement players could yet have a role would be preferred.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:24 pm UTC

Echo244 wrote:Indeed, odf's game sounds interesting. My... certainty of continual time for involvement is low (hence not leaping in to Sabrar's Unusual Role Mafia game), so something where low-involvement or patchy-involvement players could yet have a role would be preferred.

Patchy involvement shouldn't be too much of a problem. Basically, if there are periods where you are inactive, your group just didn't do much interesting during that time.

maident

Postby maident » Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:13 am UTC

Hey guys. I've necro'd this thread in the hopes of generating some discussion. I also thought I should spend some time to poll those that frequent the fora about forum games. It's going to be a bit of a long list of questions, but don't feel obliged to answer them all.

What would you say is a recent forum game you like? Why?
Do you like conflict? Do you prefer Player versus Player, Group versus Group, Players versus Mod, or something else?
Do you like cooperation?
Would you play a game if there could only be one winner? Would you play if there weren't any winning conditions?
Does flavor play a significant role in what you are interested in? Do you like fandom-based games, or do you prefer original content?

Would you prefer to win by luck or strategy? Why?
Would you prefer a faster pace or a slower pace to the average forum game?
What motivates you to create a new forum game?
What motivates you to play a new forum game?
Is it better to have too much fluff or too little fluff?

Do you prefer black-boxed mechanics or transparent mechanics?
Do you prefer complicated or simple mechanics?
Do you prefer new or old mechanics?
Do you like quirky or whimsical mechanics?
And finally, do you have a favorite setting? A least favorite setting?

Feel free to discuss, ask your own questions, or otherwise.

My answers:
Spoiler:
What would you say is a recent forum game you like? Why? Even though I abandoned it, I liked Maident Enterprises, mostly because it had some interesting possibilities in terms of the dynamic between 'npcs' and the players (as a whole).
Do you like conflict? Do you prefer Player versus Player, Group versus Group, Players versus Mod, or something else? I tend to dislike conflict, but if don't mind it as much if it is Group vs Group or Players versus Mod.
Do you like cooperation? Very much yes. Of course it comes with its own challenges, but I like the social aspect of figuring out how best to tackle something bigger together.
Would you play a game if there could only be one winner? Would you play if there weren't any winning conditions? I have mixed feelings about this, to be honest. I think that winning conditions are, ultimately, not what decides it for me.
Does flavor play a significant role in what you are interested in? Do you like fandom-based games, or do you prefer original content? I definitely appreciate original flavor more than a fandom-based game, especially if I don't know the fandom. I like to have flavor when possible, but it isn't a deal breaker.

Would you prefer to win by luck or strategy? Why? I'm fairly rubbish at strategy, so I prefer luck usually. However, if the strategy is relatively straightforward, I like it for the sense of 'gaining ground' on an objective.
Would you prefer a faster pace or a slower pace to the average forum game? This is pretty tough. I like the pace here, but if I had to choose, I'd pick faster, but not by much.
What motivates you to create a new forum game? Just trying out ideas I have, or wanting to play something in particular.
What motivates you to play a new forum game? If it looks interesting, having some sort of player interaction, and isn't counting, I'm at least intrigued.
Is it better to have too much fluff or too little fluff? Too much; it can always be skipped over, I suppose, if it's too much. But if it's lacking, it can't really be injected back in, or at least that's how I feel.

Do you prefer black-boxed mechanics or transparent mechanics? There's definitely good reasons for having one or the other, but I prefer transparent mechanics, mostly so that it's easy to see how a stat affects a combat, or similar.
Do you prefer complicated or simple mechanics? Simple.
Do you prefer new or old mechanics? New.
Do you like quirky or whimsical mechanics? I love them!
And finally, do you have a favorite setting? A least favorite setting? I like most fantasy settings, especially with anything that has magic. My least favorite, probably unsurprisingly, is historical fiction.

Feel free to discuss, ask your own questions, or otherwise.

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:14 pm UTC

Ooh, a necro!

Also answers:
Spoiler:
Probably going to focus on structured games (modded games, Nomic, etc.) here, as th

I can't really call it recent, but I'd probably go with Once Upon A Castle as my favourite forum game. It had structure, strategy, teamwork, and surprise.
Do you like conflict? Do you prefer Player versus Player, Group versus Group, Players versus Mod, or something else?
I quite like conflict, I think, but mainly if it's Players vs Mod, Group vs Group, or Player vs Player with a strong incentive to form teams.
Do you like cooperation? Yep! If there's conflict (or not), then there should be cooperation as well!
Would you play a game if there could only be one winner? Would you play if there weren't any winning conditions?
I'm not that fussed about a winning condition, but there has to be some clear objectives.
Does flavor play a significant role in what you are interested in? Do you like fandom-based games, or do you prefer original content?
I like my flavour to be original, or to incorporate elements of a fandom (but not copy it). Other than that, it doesn't play a very significant role, but still makes the game more enjoyable,

I don't want luck to seriously affect the chances of losing, and like strategy to be needed to win.
Would you prefer a faster pace or a slower pace to the average forum game? I'd be fine with slightly faster, but not by much.
What motivates you to create a new forum game? Mainly if I have a game idea that's easy to make. I've not started a structured game to date.
What motivates you to play a new forum game? If it looks interesting enough to click on, and making a post doesn't require much effort but is enjoyable.
What makes you lose interest in a forum game? Generally, if the game is structured and becomes too repetitive or overly complex, I drop out.
Fluff is good. Not sure if too much or too little is better, though. If it's more than about 10 lines, then I'd be inclined to skip it, but having some fluff helps keep the game interesting.

Do you prefer black-boxed mechanics or transparent mechanics? Mainly transparent, but some black-boxing is okay.
Fairly simple, but some complexity is okay. It's probablt part of why I drop out of most Nomics at about 50 rules and keep asking for the rules to be sectioned.
Do you prefer new or old mechanics? Old is okay; new is good.
Do you like quirky or whimsical mechanics? Yep, but preferably if they're also transparent.
And finally, do you have a favourite setting? A least favourite setting? I like fantasy (particularly magic) settings the most; not sure about least.
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

maident

Postby maident » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:54 pm UTC

Thanks for answering, Emlightened :mrgreen:

I can't help but feel like there's something missing from the very first sentence in your spoiler, and am quite curious as to what you were saying. Why the focus on structured games?

emlightened

Postby emlightened » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:08 pm UTC

Because I don't see how feedback can affect creation of non-structured games, or how I should let things like e.g. Double Post: You Must Not Say Duck Edition influence my answers. It's a game where you try to gain points by posting and saying 'duck' at the right time. What more can I say about things like that; they certainly don't seem like games where you can reasonably spend a considerable amount of time on coming up with rules (unless you scrap them a lot for some reason).
To see
To hear
To touch
To taste
To feel
To laugh
And to love

maident

Postby maident » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:38 am UTC

Hmm. The mechanics and strategy are simpler in those games, definitely.
I don't know if I'd exclude them wholesale just for that, though.
They don't strike my fancy, but there at least should be a reason to play one ruleset over another similar ruleset, yes?

Lawrencelot

Postby Lawrencelot » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:25 am UTC

I like polls. Answers:
Spoiler:

I liked most of your recent games, they're the most original together with some of my own games and some others around here. If it doesn't work out or if it just dies it doesn't matter too much to me, we can just come up with something new.

I prefer economics and strategy over conflict, but conflict is fine too. All those versions are interesting to me.
Do you like cooperation?

Yes, but competition too.

Yes to both.

Yes. If I don't know the theme I'm less inclined to play. I prefer general themes like general fantasy/sci-fi/history.

Mostly strategy, but some luck element is not always bad.

Games where you can do something twice a day up to once every two days are the best I think. More is too fast, less is too slow.

An idea. Some things just need to get out of my head and into the world.

Anything that's not counting. Games should have some depth.

Fluff is good, as long as it's clear it's fluff (use spoilers or italics) so we can skip it or read it later.

I've figured out that games where too many things are hidden don't work. They were very interesting to me as a mod but players didn't know what to do. See Originsand 19xx for games with too much hidden information, see 8-Tower Defense for a game where I think the balance was right.

As simple as possible, while still having several options, having to make difficult choices, and having emergent strategies. This is very difficult to pull off when designing a game.

No preference.

I like silly themed games. I don't know what you mean with this question.

Fantasy is my favourite theme. Least favourite: zombies or horror.

Please make a new game! Doesn't matter if it's complex or simple, not fully worked out, or if the thread dies horribly in a week. I'm just tired of seeing all those counting threads.

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:40 pm UTC

Answers shall be provided.
Spoiler:
I'd been looking forward to Maident Enterprises. Before that... I hadn't really been active for a while, you I'd have to go all the way back to Create your own Society. As for why... well, those were the last two games I seriously played here (or intended to play, in the case of Maident Enterprises, which never really got started). I try to only invest time in games I enjoy, so you naturally get the last two I played. As for why I enjoyed them... well, Maident Enterprises was a fairly blank slate and I was intrigued to see what kind of world it would develop into. Create your own Society was a kingdombuilding-style game, which I really enjoy.
Player versus world is fun, and as an extension of that player versus mod. Player versus player works well for strategy games, with more focus on rules than story. For story-driven games, PvP can also be fun, but is a lot more difficult to manage.
Do you like cooperation?
YES.
I prefer games with multiple winners or without winner (where the goal is to have fun playing instead), but I have played and enjoyed (and won) games that allow only one winner as well. I would definitely play games without winning conditions.
Flavor is important, yes. I... don't think I've played many fandom-based games, so I can't comment on that, but I like original content.

Strategy. I'd even prefer to lose by strategy than win by luck. Figuring out how the game works and what the best moves in a situation are is part of what I consider fun in games. Especially if that leads to interesting, unexpected or strange moves.
I... have no idea what an average forum game is, given the breadth of possible styles of games we've had here. So the speed I expect from a game really depends on how much thought each post needs. And the speed I want usually depends on what else I happen to do with my life at the time - if I have lots of free time I might want everybody to post much faster, but if I'm swamped with other tasks I might find posting often a chore.
Either having an idea I want to try or wanting to play a type of game that isn't currently being run.
I varies from loving the flavor to finding the rules interesting to thinking of ways to bend the game to my amusement. I sometimes it's just having too much time on hand and deciding to post in the low-thought games.
By definition, neither is good. However, what "too much" and "too little" means will vary depending on the person. And the game. Some games thrive on fluff, and then I'll let that influence my playstyle, and play to the fluff rather than the rules of the game. Others are more pure strategy, where the fluff is but a distraction. If I had to choose... more fluff, I guess.

You ask difficult questions. It again depends on the kind of game I'm playing. A game about discovering hidden rules can be very fun; as well as games where you have a mod that knows all the rules and they are slowly being revealed as the world is explored. Especially if the rules that are added fit well with the parts of the world that are added. Starting with a small, easy set of initial rules, and then gradually expanding to complexity is very fun, and makes it much easier to learn the rules and be invested in them. On the other hand, strategy games, where you get complete information about the rules at the beginning so that you can plan accordingly, are also nice. I'd say I prefer black-box slightly more.
I like complex rules that are as simple as they can be to do what they need to. So, like... if you have three stats that all model your health, and you could get the same effect with just one stat, that would be bad even though it's more complex. Complexity without elegance leads to confusion.
New mechanics, because they give me new things to consider and think over, but I really don't mind playing games with old mechanics.
YES.
Favorite setting would be fantasy or sci-fi, but any setting that fits the ruleset well is better than something that is just slapped on that doesn't really make sense. As for least favorite setting... errr... let's not go to the places that my mind decided to go to when trying to imagine the most horrible setting I could conceive of.

Now to read what the others have answered...

maident

Postby maident » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:16 am UTC

Wow, I can't say thank you enough.

I'm, of course, still going to try. First, thanks for answering so thoroughly. I really felt at a loss as to what was the heart of forum games. Defining fun, of course, is a foolish endeavor in any case, but I definitely gained insight from the responses here.
Secondly, thanks especially for some of the kindest praise I have ever gotten. I know that I can be flighty, and sometimes games don't work out, regardless of the idea's strength. Even so, I feel reinvigorated and daring. This, too, is thanks to you guys.
Last, but certainly not least, I want to thank you all for showing me that we're not as far apart as I feared. I'll see if I can't find some zany ideas to throw at you guys, okay? :mrgreen:

12obin

Postby 12obin » Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:57 pm UTC

I like ones like Balderdash and Dixit, I think they lend themselves to the medium well. I'm interested in rpg type stuff but I haven't really encountered stuff here in that vein that interested me. I like puzzley problem-solvey stuff too.
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:00 pm UTC

Bumping this thread for renewed interest in more complex games (I don't think there are any at all running right now)

See also: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=110684&p=3708573
This is the old moderated games list. Nothing in there is still alive, but it could serve as a great font of inspiration if you're interested in /fg/ history, or reviving an old game instead of inventing a new one.

Also also: If we say Vytron's name three times in a row, can we summon him?
Vytron!
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

12obin

Postby 12obin » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:04 pm UTC

Vytron!
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:09 pm UTC

Vytron?
any pronouns
----
Discord for Forum Games posters
(Please let me know if the link doesn't work)

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:07 pm UTC

I have been summoned...

... oh. You weren't actually asking for me.

Oh well.

Lavender Manna

Postby Lavender Manna » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:04 pm UTC

Hi nerds!

Testing the waters for interest in a new Forum Games RPG. For it to take off, we'll need at least 1 GM and at least 3 players, although imo 4-6 is an ideal party size. WHo's in?

(I'll probably search around for some old RPG threads to link in case anyone needs a refresher on what gameplay is like or wants to see an example if they've never played before.)

dimochka

Postby dimochka » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:52 pm UTC

Definitely in. Don't feel comfortable enough GMing; maybe the next game. Might be worth contacting the people who played the last two Tel Balok games if we need people (or quoting them to see if they check messages).
If you're curious about the origin of my avatar, google "Cheburashka".

12obin

Postby 12obin » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:09 am UTC

i'm a tentative yes? i've never done that here so i'm interested to look at previous iterations before i commit.
Robin. Ey em eir. Visit.

Return to “Forum Games”