First Contact

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Ciber

First Contact

Postby Ciber » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:14 am UTC

Fellows! I have great news! Great news indeed. For you see, I have discovered life not of this earth.
Presumably they sail mighty ships of bronze and steel through the luminous aether, but of this I cannot be sure.
I have believe that I have managed to make contact using my trusty, if rather newfangled radio-oscilloscope.

I humbly request the assistance of you dear forum goers in establishing a system by which we may maintain an interesting conversation with these strange space men!

Here is the first intelligible message which I have received. In what way aught I respond?

Code: Select all

T#1: ....--..---..-----..-------..-----------....

All received transmissions and transmitted replies.
Spoiler:

T#1: ....--..---..-----..-------..-----------....
R#1a: ....-------------..-----------------..-------------------....
R#1b: ....-..-..--..---..-----..--------....

T#2: ....-------------..---------------------..----------------------------------....

Goals:
Spoiler:
[ ] Develop some sort of encoding other than our current unary approach.

Do please remember to document the thinking behind your replies for future generations.
Last edited by Ciber on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:38 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

orangedragonfire

Re: First Contact

Postby orangedragonfire » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:18 am UTC

T#2: ....-------------..-----------------..-------------------....

T#3: ....-..-..--..---..-----..--------....

Ciber

Postby Ciber » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:23 am UTC

Ah, your fine suggestion proved just the trick, and has prompted the aliens to send the following message, though it appears that we may need be the more proactive side in this conversation:

T#2: ....-------------..---------------------..----------------------------------....

For the sake of those less mathematically inclined, it would be sound practice to document the thinking behind your replies for future generations.
If we could develop some sort of encoding other than our current unary approach, then my transcription speed would be much improved.

Snark

Postby Snark » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:24 pm UTC

R#2a: ..---..----..------------..
R#2b: ..----..--..--------..
R#2c: ..-----..-..-----..
R#2d: ..-----..-----..-------------------------..-.----.-.--.-.--...------..
Repeat R#2d a few (let's say 2) times.

We should now have a way of sending black and white pictures to the aliens assuming they understand my message. I don't feel like typing thousand-pixel pictures up, but at this point I'd respond with many many pictures to explain what humans look like, where we are in our Solar System, and all kinds of other stuff to tell the aliens about us. I'd also put a picture header of ..--..---..-----.. and a picture footer of ..-----..---..--.. in the top middle and bottom middle of each picture. Once these headers and footers are established, we can put them at the beginning and end of each message to signify when transmissions start and end. Then I'd pause and wait for a reply.
Dashboard Confessional wrote:I want to give you whatever you need. What is it you need? Is it within me?

Vytron
Location: The Outside. I use She/He/Her/His/Him as gender neutral pronouns :P

Postby Vytron » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:32 am UTC

I think sending of images can be evident without header/footers.

R#3a: -------------------------
R#3b: --------.--------.-------
R#3c: -------.-.------.-.------
R#3d: -------.-. -----.-.------
R#3e: --------.--------.-------
R#3f: -------------------------
R#3g: --------.--------.-------
R#3h: ---------........--------
R#3i: -------------------------

If they can't understand two eyes and a mouth, could they understand a human body?

orangedragonfire

Postby orangedragonfire » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:35 am UTC

Anyway, it is probably a good idea to contact the authorities before sending any messages back at the aliens.

Freddino18
[Title Not Found]

Postby Freddino18 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:18 am UTC

Agreed.

SECURITY!
Blenders!
GENERATION 23: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Shriekin' Criminal: Wu Tang, Voodoo Foote: pirate, Amos Quirell: wizard, Sun-Ray Fool: blues, Thomaz Hettkamp: Nazi, farty monkey snatcher, phire AvAtAr: 1337 h4x0r

ucim

Postby ucim » Tue Jul 31, 2018 1:07 pm UTC

--------........--------........--------........--------.......-......-.......--.....-.......-.-.....--......---....-...(etc)....------------........--------........--------........--------
establishing eight bit blocks with "sync pulses" and counting in binary within them, terminating the message with another set of sync pulses), but only going halfway, anticipating that they continue.

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

Return to “Forum Games”