Roll To Dodge 2016 - You're Having A Lava Edition

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

MisterH

Roll To Dodge 2016 - You're Having A Lava Edition

Postby MisterH » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:28 pm UTC

About this game:

Roll to dodge is a simple role playing game in which anything can happen. One person is the Game Moderator [GM] who sets and applies the game conditions then determines what happens as the story progresses.

The game is divided into a number of rounds, each player submits an action they want to attempt and dice rolls determine the outcome. Once all of the players are ready (or a time limit is reached) the GM rolls 1d6 for each of the players/NPC's proposed actions in the game. The result of the dice roll indicates if the action was successful or not according to the following table :-

[1] Epic Fail (with consequences)
[2] Fail
[3] Partial Success
[4] Success
[5] Enhanced Success (with benefits)
[6] OP - success with significant, unintentional side effects.

If the result of a roll causes a counter-action to any player/NPC/the environment, the effected target/s will immediately Roll to Dodge using the same outcome table above to determine the final result.

Once all of the actions are rolled, the GM posts a log of the results and players can submit their planned action for the next round (if able).

Rules:

•Only submit one (simple) action per round.
•Your intended action must start with a > symbol, this helps the GM differentiate between your command and other discussion.
•You may only post an action controling yourself, but you may interact with other players.
•You cannot spawn skills/roles/items/vehicles/NPC's/upgrades etc out of thin air, you must use an action to make, steal or search for them.
•The dice's decision is final.

================================

This instance of the game is for exactly 7 players, post a short character introduction to join, when there are seven we will start.

This is a special instance of the game - All players are Volcanologists, wearing heat resistant suits and each carrying a water supply, a respirator and some scientific equipment for measuring volcanic activity. standing at the mouth of an active volcano. They all simultaneously discover that the Volcano is about to erupt and realise the town at the bottom needs to be evacuated before everyone dies Pompeii style.

There are nine stages to descend, the first being the starting point at the top of the volcano and the ninth being the Town at the bottom. Some stages will have split locations - to provide alternate routes. The stages will be revealed as they are encountered.

All players will automatically advance to the next stage unless they are impeded somehow, there's no need to say how you plan to move down, everyone is legging it to the bottom anyway. Instead you should focus on actions to enhance attack and defense or set/avoid traps etc.
Submit an action for the stage you are in - not the stage you are moving into.

OP [6] rolls and epic fails [1] will most likely prevent you from advancing to the next stage.

The game ends when the first person reaches the bottom or everyone dies.

Rounds will close at approximately 21:00 GMT+1 any players who do not submit an action for a round may still be effected in the game (but most likely in a bad way). One round a day unless all players post an action and it can be done faster.

================================

INTRO

Standing at [stage 1] the crest of the crater at the top of Mount Xkcd, it is hard to imagine the scale of what is about to happen. The centre mound is bulging and steaming and the seizometers you placed earlier are all going bananas. Your gas meter is in the red zone and you can feel the heat rising up from beneath you, the ground shudders, heaves and shakes. Everyone just looks at one another and without saying a word, you all start running downhill at full tilt to the Town at the base of the mountain. Ahead lies [stage 2] a relatively steep slope that is mainly bare rock faces that are easily navigated, but slippery and unforgiving.

MisterH

Re: Roll To Dodge 2016 - You're Having A Lava Edition

Postby MisterH » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:31 pm UTC

Each player can have up to two skills, but these must be humanly possible - i.e survival or strength/dexterity/charisma based no fantasy or future stuff this time.

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:55 pm UTC

/in
I am a marathon runner in my free time. The furthest Ive ever ran in one session is 56 miles. I work out at a gym a my strength is pretty high as well, though the strength is mostly in the legs
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:03 pm UTC

/in
I graduated top of my class in every class I took at volcano school. I've always been intelligent and studious, and my approach in life involves thinking my way around any and all problems with my unparalleled problem-solving ability.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:36 pm UTC

You can all also specify one additional item you are carrying that must be able to fit inside a small backpack. This can be revealed at any point in the game once unpacked it can be used multiple times. Usage is subject to the outcome of the roll. Real world items only please.

Also note Transportation can not be used to skip stages, for example; you can't radio for a helicopter to fly you directly to the town.

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:14 pm UTC

As soon as there are 7 players you can start submitting your actions for the first roll. Remember you will be automatically moved into the next stage unless something happens to prevent you. Propose your action for the stage you are in, not the one you are about to enter.

If you would like to hide/stop/rest in the stage you're in, I will try to factor that in if possible.

I will allow people to run back to the previous stage, if there's a good enough reason for it. Can't think of one at the moment though.

Unconscious players won't move into the next stage unless assisted. But I will add a +2 to each subsequent roll to assist fast recovery due to the effects of adrenaline.

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:24 pm UTC

/in
I am an Olympic athlete, currently holding the world record for long jump. I also have the MacGyver-like ability to make pretty much anything I need out of whatever miscellaneous stuff happens to be lying around. I always carry a roll of duct tape with me.

Mauthe Dhoo

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:46 pm UTC

/in
I am a career vulcanologist with Wilderness EMT/Basic training. I also am a regular participant in Highland Games, where I perform the caber toss - for which I regularly train by carrying great weights over long distances and then throwing them over short distances. My backpack contains a first aid kit (bandages, splinting material, etc).

EDIT: Does this game have a set number of rounds before it ends?
EDITEDIT: NVM, "The game ends when the first person reaches the bottom or everyone dies."
Last edited by Mauthe Dhoo on Wed Jun 08, 2016 3:24 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:16 pm UTC

Count me in.

I am a Vulcanology Exchange Student from Stereotype, Texas. Thus, I have the abilities of Riding Things and Lassoing Things. I carry a climbing rope in my backpack, which can conveniently also be used as a lasso.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:50 pm UTC

2 slots left

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:18 pm UTC

/in, character intro later
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
Intel i5-750 (OC 3.33 GHz)
8GB (OC 1333 MHz) (2GB HDD cache)
NVIDIA GT 740 (OC 1149 MHz) 4GB (OC 841 MHz)
480GB SSD (120 HDD cache)
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:25 pm UTC

OK Post your actions guys, I will roll tomorrow, there is still one slot left.

Remember you are running for the next stage, you will advance automatically as long as nothing bad happens. If you don't post an action in a turn you will auto roll for the action ">runs haphazardly to the next stage" plus any RTD for the stage you are in.

Actions will be rolled in the order they are posted unless interaction requires re-ordering. I will try to be as fair as possible.

This is a race to the bottom, let's see how low you can go.

Good luck.

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:15 pm UTC

I'm an odd contraption engineer. I can make tools and machines out of stuff I find lying around. (And narrators such as myself don't have to explain how the odd contraptions work, I'll just say what it does).
My backpack has shoes with electric wheels, allowing me to move faster.
@MisterH, Instead of a second skill, can my backpack fold out into a hang glider?
@MisterH, Can you make this game longer than the last one? As in, make each stage require multiple actions to cross?
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

Mikemk

Postby Mikemk » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:17 pm UTC

> I use my hang glider to safely glide to the bottom of the cliff.
Computer specs:
Spoiler:
2x2TB HDD (not RAID)
Windows 10
Linux Mint in VM

heuristically_alone

Postby heuristically_alone » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:37 pm UTC

> put on respirator and quickly place some rocks building a wall to redirect the potential lava's path away from us
Bow gifted by adnapemit.

You can learn to levitate with just a little help.

:idea: = Surprised Cyclops

SirGabriel

Postby SirGabriel » Thu Jun 09, 2016 2:25 am UTC

> quickly look over the terrain to see which path is likely to remain passable the longest

Carlington

Postby Carlington » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:04 am UTC

> Scout around for a suitable rock to sled/skate/slide down the volcano at an increased speed.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

Echo244

Postby Echo244 » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:41 am UTC

> Loop my rope round a rock outcrop (so I can pull it free from the bottom) and descend the steep slope with greater safety.
Unstoppable force of nature. That means she/her/hers.
Has committed an act of treason.

Mauthe Dhoo

Postby Mauthe Dhoo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:51 am UTC

> On my way past our excruciatingly expensive and sophisticated drilling, sampling, and field analysis equipment, see if I can quickly cannibalize some of it to jury-rig a signal or beacon that would be visible from the town, in hopes of letting people know that the volcano is going to erupt and that there are people on it... or at least drawing attention to the summit so that fewer people are caught off guard.

Let's get gone, folks!

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:43 pm UTC

Hello guys, apologies for the delay, I'll kick this off tonight. Got completely hammered at a school meeting last night...

Return to “Forum Games”