Want to try mafia? A new game is beginning next week! All welcome. Details inside!

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Madge

Want to try mafia? A new game is beginning next week! All welcome. Details inside!

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:43 am UTC

Here's a link to sign up: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=37971&start=7160

Have you thought about mafia? Do you want to start off in a supportive environment? NOW IS YOUR CHANCE!!!!!

What is Mafia? I'm glad you asked! I was going to write out a full description but then I realised that someone on the internet has surely already done so. Here you go:

In its simplest form, Mafia consists of two sides: the Mafia, and the Town. The Mafia's goal is to kill the Town, while the Town's goal is to kill the Mafia.

At the beginning of the game, the Moderator will secretly send everyone their role. The Mafia will know each other, while (in the basic game) everyone else will only know their own role.

The game has two phases, the first of which is Day. During Day, the Town must choose someone to Lynch; they are trying to eliminate the Mafia, but the Mafia can lead them astray by casting suspicion elsewhere. Generally, players will vote for someone they think is Mafia (the Mafia will vote so that they seem to be doing this as well, and might even vote for each other to confuse the Town); when a player gets a majority of the votes, they are lynched. It then becomes Night.

During the Night, no one can talk publicly. The Mafia, however, can speak to each other privately to plot strategy and decide who to murder before the next Day begins. In this way, they can silence members of the Town who are threats to them. At the end of the Night, the murder is carried out and another Day begins. In effect, the Town gets to kill someone, and then the Mafia gets to kill someone.

The game alternates between Day and Night until either the Mafia are eliminated, or the Mafia have killed everyone else (or nothing can prevent the same - for example, the mafia make up more than half of living players and thus control the vote).

Some more specific information: the xkcd forum mafia is really, really high quality and people tend to have a lot of fun. There are great people who moderate amazing games with all sorts of interesting powers being available. I was fortunate enough to work with Sabrar, who came up with a cool setup based on a couple of vague ideas I had.

The games generally last for a month or two, and require about 15 minutes of your time per day on about 5 days a week to read the thread and make posts. Some people are very enthusiastic and clearly spend an hour or more writing their posts (usually spread out over a work day - don't tell their bosses!). But 15 minutes a day is all that's really needed, unless you have the time or passion to give it more.

As a newbie, everyone will be kind to you and help you out - even scum players will be patient and offer you advice.

I'll be modding the game. Games have what we call "flavour", which is just scene-setting to create "the mood". Some people completely ignore it, and for some of our games it's an absolute highlight to be able to read the amazing flavour. This game is being modded by yours truly, and it's called The Werewolf of Wall Street - a running-a-bit-late attempt to do a Halloween themed game. The flavour is what if stockbrokers, but urban fantasy? Think of it as a mix between Die Hard, Buffy, True Blood and Twilight.

Again, here's a link to sign up: viewtopic.php?f=53&t=37971&start=7160 - quote the existing post, delete the quote tags, and add yourself to the numbered player list. We've planned for 9 but we can expand or contract if need be. (I say "we" but Sabrar is the wizard behind all this)

Anyway, feel free to post on this thread with any questions if you have any, or existing players, you can give endorsements (or, I guess, "DON'T DO IT YOU STILL HAVE TIME TO GET AWAY FROM THE HORRORS WITHIN", if you feel so inclined). You can also PM me if you have questions too and don't want to post here.

Note that unlike last time I posted here, this isn't a game specifically for newbies, but there's no reason you can't start with it anyway - like I said, everyone is lovely and welcoming and will help you out if you don't understand things. Anecdote: I started with a game far more complicated than this one, and I've been here 5 years(!) now.
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

somitomi

Re: Want to try mafia? A new game is beginning next week! All welcome. Details inside!

Postby somitomi » Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:56 pm UTC

I've been thinking about joining this game, so I will take this as encouragement to do so. You can clearly see how my ability to read between the lines is going to be a great advantage...
Madge wrote:Think of it as a mix between Die Hard, Buffy, True Blood and Twilight.

:shock:
...is Twilight really the only one I've seen from those four?
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Madge

Re: Want to try mafia? A new game is beginning next week! All welcome. Details inside!

Postby Madge » Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:17 pm UTC

I was actually thinking of you! Was wondering if we'd see you again because I thought you were a great player. Thanks for signing up!

So excited to see how the game goes!
I'm writing a vampire yaoi novel, here's my accountability link: https://www.beeminder.com/mad/redandwilliam

somitomi

Postby somitomi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:26 pm UTC

Wow, I'm quite flattered, thanks. I didn't feel like I was doing too well, but that's kind of the reason I signed up again. Practice and whatnot.
they/them/theirs = he/him/his ❖ If you want to use something else out of dadaist spite, I won't mind.
✆ Hello? This is Forum Games Discord, what is your emergency?

Madge

Postby Madge » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:19 pm UTC

You did great :) my second game was an unmitigated disaster.... (or felt like it to me. everyone didn't seem to mind at all that I screwed things up for town.)

This game is "full" now, but I'm sure if anyone else wants to play someone will be willing to give up their spot so you can have a go - that's how people roll on the mafia subforum :D

Return to “Forum Games”