Onslaught

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Onslaught

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

http://onslaught.playr.co.uk/

I figure it's time we have an official Onslaught thread. At first glance, it's just like Shock Defense and all those other creep-killer games, but there's some very important differences:

1.) Infinite levels with exponential difficulty. The first level is 10 creeps with 10 life each. However, by level 500, the creeps have over 50,000,000,000 (yes, fifty billion) life.

2.) Crazy weapon combos. Build nuke flowers, BFG lasers, cluster landmines, black holes, and more!

3.) New weapons added all the time. Fusion, Sniper and Railgun are all new, and the Fusion synergizes with the Tazers!

4.) It's all math. You can calculate your damage, use mods to twerk your range, rate of fire, damage... it's possible to get 4.9x10^19 damage with a laserchain, if you can pull it off, but it's usually too much of a pain and too much of a cheat, but you can start dropping nukes that do twenty-five BILLION damage, with maxed Railguns +800% damage cleaning up the mess.

My current high score ever is 5.8 billion. Who can beat me? WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO?

EDIT: Also, past level 500, it slows down your computer because of how much stuff is going on. I Have a seriously overpowered drafting computer that is currently trying to slog it uphill through mud because of this game. Be warn-ed!

Mighty Jalapeno

Re: Onslaught

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

Woo, new record! 6.4 BILLION!! No matter what new combos they think up, Nuke is just about the only good one (Shockwave is useful as heck, but when 30 or 40 nukes don't kill creeps, you're pretty much out of luck anyways!)

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

Holy crap, man! Although I do pat you on the back for finding this. Horribly wonderful waste of time.

Also, I propose that this be moved to Gaming.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 :lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:
1 :idea: CHAOS BONUS :idea:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

Oooh I love this game. I'm desperately trying to beat Mighty Jalapeno's high score now. I have a feeling this is going to be an evening wasted!
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:41 am UTC

Just got around 2 billion. Man, this game takes forever...
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:42 pm UTC

Well, if you click on the clock you can send in as many waves as you want manually. Seriously, when you first get nukes, send in waves 10 at a time, and watch the nuke clear them all out, and watch your money pile GROW. Level 75 through 200 should take 10 minutes.

EDIT: Ok, MJ's quick start guide!

1.) Build a red tower first about three turret-widths above the road, so it's greenspace covers the most area.
2.) Build a blue tower right on the OTHER side of the road.
3.) Let through waves until you can build two blue turrets directly above the red one, making a triangle. BE SURE the green zone for these new blue turrets NEVER touches the road!!!
4.) Upgrade the road blue turret damage once.
5.) Spend the next several levels making out the red turret. Get the damage up a few levels, then the rate up to 100 , then the range up to about 250. Up the damage some more, and up the rate until you get Holding Pattern Missiles, then focus on damage. When the damage is maxed out, max out the damage ONLY on the blue turrets.
6.) When the two blue turrets are damage maxed, and the red is damage-maxed, you will have a Nuke!
7.) Click the clock in clusters of 10 to let large amounts of baddies through. Nuke them for money.
8.) Build a SECOND nuke much the same way, making sure the blue turrets do NOT reach the road with their greenspace, or the nuke wont fire.

Now that you have nukes, start building more nukes, and Big Dame +100%, and more nukes, and then just experiment with whatever combos you want, since you wont be short of money for a while.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Well, my problem was that I built black holes (two by accident, one on purpose), which screwed me over. It gives you no money for defeated enemies (nor points), and the enemies keep getting stronger. It's not worth it at all.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:33 pm UTC

Sell off the green laser for your black hole.

Also, to all those who doubt the power of the Tazerwall:

Ok, I'm done playing this game. Like, forever.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:40 pm UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Ok, I'm done playing this game. Like, forever.

Somehow I doubt that.

btw, what do the Fusions do? I tried to watch them to figure out, but I never could.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

the Snipers, Fusions, and Railguns do OK damage, but nothing compared to a combo. The lasers that they soak up from Tazers and Lasers add to their damage, but it is still fairly negligible.

Tazer Wall Construction:

Build four tazers. Upgrade at will, but behind them, place two Rate upgrades and a Range upgrade. That will now hold one wave almost perfectly still until your nukes can have at them.

rhino

Postby rhino » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:05 am UTC

11.9 billion. I could have scored more if I'd bothered to fill the whole map with nukes, but the lag was too painful!

Anyway, there are basically two ingredients to success.
One is tazers- I had a group of 10, all maxed, with zillions of rate boosters.

The other is the "combonly"- it lets you condense nukes (or any other combo) into a single tower, so you can completely cram the map full of them.
There's an explanation of how to use it on the onslaught forum.
Also it's useful to know you can move things by pressing M. That way you can build your nukes in a big empty space, and then move them to somewhere tightly packed.

Curse you for wasting several hours of my time with this game!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:43 am UTC

I am still mastering the Combonly... I accidentally ruined several of my nukes by making Poison Gas Rockets, hamstringing my other combos. DAMN YOU!!

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:06 pm UTC

How exactly do laser chains work?
This is a placeholder until I think of something more creative to put here.

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:09 pm UTC

All the damage the chain does is just redirected through one laser instead of each one individually I think, I could be completely wrong though.
I've just got up to about 7 and a half billion points but then it lagged so much I couldn't build anything. *grr*
Off to try again!
Goth Juice - The most powerful hairspray known to man. Made from the tears of Robert Smith.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:43 pm UTC

It says here:
Green turrets can link together, where they fire at each other in a chain, each link along the chain adding an extra 25% to the laser beam's power.
However, that is ambiguous. Is that 25% of the base damage (total damage of a chain is a linear function of the number of turrets) or 25% of the damage the chain would do without the extra turret (total damage is exponential in the number of turrets)? Does increasing the damage of turrets in a chain which aren't firing directly at the target make any difference to the chain's total damage? What happens if turrets in a chain have different rates of fire? Do all turrets in a chain need to have the final turret in range, or can just the next turret in the chain be in range? What happens to the damage if multiple chains lead into a single turret? Can combos using green turrets still be powered by a chain? etc. etc. etc.

loratwopointone

Postby loratwopointone » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:45 pm UTC

Robin S wrote:It says here:
Green turrets can link together, where they fire at each other in a chain, each link along the chain adding an extra 25% to the laser beam's power.
However, that is ambiguous. Is that 25% of the base damage (total damage of a chain is a linear function of the number of turrets) or 25% of the damage the chain would do without the extra turret (total damage is exponential in the number of turrets)? Does increasing the damage of turrets in a chain which aren't firing directly at the target make any difference to the chain's total damage? Do all turrets in a chain need to have the final turret in range, or can just the next turret in the chain be in range? What happens to the damage if multiple chains lead into a single turret? Can combos using green turrets still be powered by a chain? etc. etc. etc.

Yeah, that is a bit ambiguous. I'd scour the Onslaught forums but I really can't be bothered. Are you having much luck with the laser chains? I just keep using lots of nukes.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:47 pm UTC

I have scoured the forums, and found very little. The only clue I've had so far is
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:it's possible to get 4.9x10^19 damage with a laserchain
which suggests that damage is exponential, at least for unbranched chains.

Anyway, I'm off to lunch. More experimenting later, perhaps.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

it takes the laser at the BACK, and every laser it passes through, multiplies it by 1.25.

So (((((30,000)x1.25)x1.25)x1.25)x1.25)x1.25), etc, etc. It is exponential. HOWEVER, it's super-hard to do it and have all the lasers fire properly, and the lasers behind the FIRST need to have a higher rate of fire. Really, if you go into the forums, and into Hints, it's the sticky at the top, "How Do Laser Chains Work".

jynjin
Pretty swell. Nifty even!

Postby jynjin » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:19 pm UTC

Dammit, MJ. Shock Defense was my favourite time kill months ago and thought I was free of these creep game addictions. Can't... resist... any... longer...

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:49 pm UTC

My best score so far is 257312875 (level 186), which used two laser rockets with a short (<10) chain of maxed-out (for both damage and rate of fire) green turrets, and four big speed modifiers. I played again trying to focus on lengthening the chain, without upgrading any of the greens (until I found myself under actual threat, when I maxed out the one furthest from the red in damage). However, no speed modifiers and only one rocket (or possibly the lack of upgraded greens?) led to a much lower score:
Attachments
onslaught.PNG
onslaught.PNG (537.02 KiB) Viewed 5617 times

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:57 pm UTC

If any of the lasers shoot at anything EXCEPT the next laser in line, the chain is broken, and you are screwed.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:58 pm UTC

Yeah, I discovered that the hard way. In future, I will probably be using a short chain until I get damage exchange modifiers.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:07 pm UTC

Use "LIne" or "Sine" maps, and make your lasers go all the way around the outside of the map. That way, only one is within shooting range of the road.

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:35 pm UTC

I've been sticking to the Classic map, because there's a sort of competition going on between my friend and I. My latest score is below. As you can see, I've reverted to focusing on shorter chains with multiple rockets and speed modifiers, with added big damage +/- to reduce the range of the lasers. I noticed that, although several reds are adjacent to the green, only a couple of laser rockets were visible in the air at one time. Also, I thought the combonly turret was supposed to create a combo between any two or more turrets within its range [edit: seems from rhino's post that I was wrong about that], but the red turrets on the left don't seem to be firing any laser rockets whatsoever.

I need to learn more about the turrets that are unlocked later in the game.
Attachments
onslaught 2.PNG
onslaught 2.PNG (530.72 KiB) Viewed 5555 times

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

I challenge someone to a game on Hard / Inspired. Any takers? COME ON!!!

Tisiphone

Postby Tisiphone » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:53 pm UTC

I just got to 3.8 billion and then my university's internet became to slow to play so I gave up. I wasn't aware of combos or laser chains though... just kinda put shit down and upgraded it... I plan to try again with my newfound information.
I'd love to have your cake and eat it too.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

The internet doesn't really affect it.... when the game is uploaded to your computer, it becomes your computer's fault. However, around 5 billion, it bogs down my drafting machine, so don't feel so bad. Just go watch some TV and let it chug away. :)

Like this! ITS OVER NINE BILLION!!!!!!!!!

pKp

Postby pKp » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:53 am UTC

Tazer walls ARE awesome. I tend however to get tired and launch 50 waves at a time just for the hell of it. It worked once. The second time...actually not that good.
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

Mouffles

Postby Mouffles » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:43 am UTC

New high score: 350,827,684,880.

Laser chains are the only way to get high scores, they are ridiculously more powerful than nukes.
In the spirit of taking things too far - the 5x5x5x5x5 Rubik's Cube.

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:24 am UTC

That's insane, man.
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Robin S

Postby Robin S » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:29 pm UTC

I played the Classic map earlier today and had over half a dozen laser rockets circling from only one red tower. The only thing I'd done differently was to move both of the combo turrets a few times (I ended up with it covering almost the entire map, with the towers just to the left of the X). This was not intentional. Is it a bug?

daydalus

Postby daydalus » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

Black Holes can be used to save yourself once you get to the high levels. They're a combo of 3 tazers and a lazer. They "suck" everything up (don't inflict damage), so you dont get $ for what they kill. But with 3 or 4 of them immediately in front of your base its pretty much impossible to die.

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:36 pm UTC

I've gone and built a 2.7*1015 damage laser chain, and 4 shockwave combonlys. I'm on wave 475ish now and the laser chain is still killing everything with 1 hit, so I can't say how many shots it would be able to take at more durable enemies. Any idea how many waves it takes for enemy hp to get into the 1015-1016 range?

Also, I think i've discovered something that is at once both cool and idiotically powerful: If you build a combo that uses a laser chain to achieve high power, then suck it up into a combonly, only the last laser will be sucked up, and the combonly will retain the power of the entire chain. You can then move the combonly somewhere else, replace that 1 laser and the other elements of the combo, and repeat. This could lead to some absurd laser-rocket or laser-shockwave combonlys in high quantity.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

zingmaster

Postby zingmaster » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:37 am UTC

In a nuke, can the blue turrets fire too? Or will that disable the red turret's nuke power?
You get 500 xp.
You collect:
1 rusty dagger

Hold on Dreamaway
You're my sweet charade

Swivelguy

Postby Swivelguy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 pm UTC

zingmaster wrote:In a nuke, can the blue turrets fire too? Or will that disable the red turret's nuke power?

If the blue turrets are firing, they won't be available to contribute to the nuke. They can still be in range of the road, and some nukes will go off, because the rocket turret has longer range.

As for my laser chain I posted about yesterday, I moved a few things around to get it to 6e15 damage, then let it run overnight. It died at wave 1250ish with 10billion score.
EVE Online: Daesis Wrack
Starcraft 2 (US): CosmicOsmo #465
Anarchy Online (RK2): Azzamis

Return to “Forum Games”