Strategy Board Game 1 (over)

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Ansain

Strategy Board Game 1 (over)

Postby Ansain » Mon May 26, 2008 10:18 pm UTC

The next game is going to be played in a new thread right here http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=23907

As a hobby I create board games. This is one that I created recently and thought might work well in a forum. I dont think I have seen a game like it, but it is really simplistic so I wouldn't be surprised if it has allready been done.

The rules and a signup list are below. I'm looking for about 7 people to play.

1)Ansain
2)Tigion
3)Gojoe
4)MartinW
5)AKAnotu
6)
7)

Rules:

The board and pieces:
The board is made up of hexagons. There are three types of hexes, plains, cities and mountains. Units are produced in cities and can move through cities and plains. Mountains cannot be crossed. Only one unit can occupy a single hex.

Spoiler:

Starting the game
(In a forum)-On each player's first turn that player may place one piece on any square of the board. That player may build units this turn, but not move units.

(around a table)-On each player's first turn that player places one piece in any one city hex facing any direction. That piece does not move on the first turn.

On your turn: (in order)
1) Your first step is to create new units. If you control any empty uncontested city hex's at the start of your turn, you may place a unit in that city hex oriented in any direction. That unit may not move this turn. You control a city if you have a unit in a hex next to that city. That unit may still move later in the turn. A city is contested (and does not produce units) if an enemy also has a unit in a hex next to the city. Ally units do not stop your unit production.

2) Move existing armies. Each turn you may move any or all of your units (except for the units you created this turn). For each unit you may either move that unit forward in the direction it is facing, or reorient that unit to face any direction. You may not move and reorient the same piece in the same move.

Attacking:
If you move a unit onto a square occupied by an opponent's unit, you have attacked that unit. The attacker always wins and the opponent's unit is destroyed.

Alliences and Victory:
At any time two or more players may choose to form an allience. There are no rules or penalties preventing you from attacking an ally. The alliences are just verbal (in this case written/typed) agreements you will not attack each other. If one player or allience controls the entire board, that player/allience is declared the winner(s).

Modified rules for playing in a forum:

--Each player has 24 hours after the previous player's post to make their move (30 if the previous player moved within the first 12 hours of his time).
--Players start by placing one unit on any hex of the board and may build this turn but not move.

Edits to clarify the rules a bit more
-June 1 Added modified rules for playing in a forum section. (this information used to be scattered about.) Added accelerated startup for forum play.
-june 3 Added at the start of game section (it used to be the third part of the during your turn section) and modified during your turn section.

Any Questions?
Anyone want to join?
Last edited by Ansain on Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:26 am UTC, edited 10 times in total.
Why put off till today what you could just as easily get done tomorrow?

I can mathematically prove that 1 equals 0!.

Parts a-x in my plan weren't that important anyways.

Tigerlion
The Communist formerly known as Tigion

Re: Strategy Board Game

Postby Tigerlion » Mon May 26, 2008 10:25 pm UTC

I'll Join. I've always been into strategy games.
It'd be cool if someone made seven factions up, and gave them each a special power (I.E., able to turn peices and move them). It'd make the game more interesting, but it might require more rules, or something. Just a thought.
Also, what are the rules for attacking? Do units have health? Are there more than one type?

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon May 26, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

there is only one type of unit and no hp, the attacker just wins (like I said very simplistic). Surprisingly there is still alot of a strategy involved even with such simple rules. I could concievably make it much more complex with more units and special factions, but that would be an entirely different game.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue May 27, 2008 7:45 am UTC

I am not sure if this will work, but i am willing to give it a go.
michaelandjimi wrote:Oh Mr Gojoe
I won't make fun of your mojo.
Though in this fora I serenade you
I really only do it to aid you.
*Various positive comments on your masculinity
That continue on into infinity*

Feeble accompanying guitar.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Thu May 29, 2008 7:20 am UTC

signups are going pretty slow so I guess a lot of people agree with you gojoe. I think the game itself should run ok even though it will be slow.

Well I'll give it another week and see if some more people sign up. This will be the only time I bump it.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu May 29, 2008 9:32 am UTC

i am more than willing to give it a go, and the people that sign up, actually stick to it, it could be epic.... right?

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Thu May 29, 2008 10:46 am UTC

I have an idea. We just shrink the map to fit three people, and if more people want to join, we could make it bigger.
Something like that.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Thu May 29, 2008 10:27 pm UTC

By all means we could play with less or more players. seven was just convenient for the daily moves thing, but the map can easily be made larger or smaller.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Sat May 31, 2008 4:49 pm UTC

Do you think we should just start?
I choose the Dark Green, by the way. Unless someone else wants it.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:51 pm UTC

I totally call dibs on the manly pink one!

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:30 am UTC

ok off we go. I have claimed light blue to avoid any possible confusion on the pieces.

with three players I think a smaller map will work better.

Spoiler:

Its a bit tougher to have a balanced 3 player map but I think this should work out. Since I made the map, playing first would not be fair so the order of play is Tigion Gojoe Ansain.

Heres a little more detail on how the turns will work in a forum and some help if you need it on getting an image posted for your turn.

Spoiler:
There are two ways we could make the turns work, 1 is potentially much faster so that we can get the game rolling and 2 is on a stricter schedual so that it is much harder to accidentally miss a turn. Unless one of you objects we will go with 1.

1)Each player has 24 hours to make their next turn after the previous players turn (this is increased to 30 if the previous player posted within the first 12 hours or their time) otherwise they give up that turn. If a player needs an extention on their time they should ask before their time expires (If you will be gone till friday tell us in advance so we don't skip you).

2)Each player has a set day on which they post their next move. Tigion would be monday, then Gojoe on Tueday, Ansain on wednesday, Tigion on Thursday, ect. Everyone would need to post their time zones, and your turn does not end until midnight in your timezone (if the previous player has not yet posted and it is your day to post but also theirs in their time zone you cannot post yet (I thats worded terribly but I hope you get what I mean))

I've been using word to edit the maps, paint to save them as an image. I think the best way to hadle posting your moves is to start with a blank map each time and add pieces to it in word, but feel free to use whatever method you like as long as you can post an image within your turn

Game on!

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:46 am UTC

I'm for number 1.

Quick Question: How many units do with start with?
I'll just start with one, and build a unit.

Turn 1 - Tigion.JPG
Turn 1 - Tigion.JPG (19.24 KiB) Viewed 4460 times

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:28 am UTC

It was going to be just place one unit in ome city but for our purposes an accelerated start of placing one unit next to a city and building saves about 3 rounds of pointless post. I will edit my previous post to integrate this into the rules.

Looking at the first move I feel like I didnt quite write the rules clearly. Each unit can only move forward or reorient on your turn, and cities only produce when empty (theres a stacking limit 1). It's to your advantage to have your unit facing up-left. Since it's your first turn I'll allow you to play as if you had placed it facing that direction. I hope this clarifies things and If this placement was part of some master plan of your's then I appologize for wasting your time and insulting your intellegence.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:24 am UTC

I think i did this right, so i started, and i made a unit (and i started facing downwards).... let me know if i made a mistake and ill fix this up later
Attachments
Turn 1 - Tigion.JPG
Turn 1 - Tigion.JPG (23.56 KiB) Viewed 4418 times

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Ooh, that's what that prong thing on the piece is for. I thought it was just decoration.
I'll fix it when I don't have three minutes. Not your fault, sorry.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:33 am UTC

Pst! Tigion keep it on the down low, but do you wanna form an alliance? We could take down the creator... It would guarantee us to get into the final 2 :D that way we can't lose...

Now as long as Ansain doesn't read this he will not see this coming lol

EDIT: i think that when asking or what ever for alliances, that they should be done here, not through PM. I mean if we were actually playing on a board we couldn't hide this from each other... Just my 2 cents

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:19 pm UTC

Yeah those pegs point in the direction your piece can move sorry if I wasn't clear about that earlier. I fixed 2 moves and got you each a picture of the pieces in each of the 6 orientations to make it easier.

here's my move and back to tigion.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:00 pm UTC

Dear Gods Thank you for those pieces. You cant turn things 60 degrees in MSpaint.
Turn 2!
Turn  2.JPG
Turn 2.JPG (32.28 KiB) Viewed 4382 times

((Psst. Gojoe. Consider the Tigionite-Gojoean alliance formed.))

if new people want to join, should we let them in?

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:52 am UTC

So what i gathered so far...
A) Did we all do our first move incorrectly? Our first move would of been us moving off our city, and only getting our second guy on our 3rd move? (2nd move is moving off the city, 3rd is actually creating the new unit). Becuase the first step is to create units in "your" town, then to move your pieces, so you cant move THEN create.

B) Also i think that when you move you can NOT pivot at the same time. Is this true?

C) I think this first game will be us figuring out how this will work.

D) This reminds me of Stragego, but if we all only had "Spy" pieces.

E) LONG LIVE THE TIGIONITE-GOJOEAN ALLIANCE.

Note: I am on night shift, so if my rambling makes no sense, let me know.
Attachments
Turn  2.JPG
Turn 2.JPG (34.17 KiB) Viewed 4338 times

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

To answer some questions before my move,

A) yes we did in fact all do the first move wrong. Around a table it makes sense that you should place in a city facing one direction rather than place two pieces. This stops somebody from getting screwed over on turn one. Over a forum where the moves are slow however, placing near a city and building accelerates the game a bit. Essentially it's two moves each that we dont have to do. I'm very glad that Tigion made that mistake, as it has been integrated into the rules for playing on a forum.

B) You are correct, the pieces may either move or pivot not both (you could have piece A move and Piece B pivot, but piece A could not move and pivot the same turn). I'm glad we're getting through the questions about the rules early in the game before it really costs anyone.

And here is my move. On my turn I'll fix anything like a partial city copied with a unit or a Unit that blots out an entire city, so you guys don't need to worry about that.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:25 pm UTC

Hah, Good Errors are the best.
Turn 3.JPG
Turn 3.JPG (31.85 KiB) Viewed 4300 times

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:39 pm UTC

Thought I'd let you guys know I updated the first post a bit. I think you know everything it says, but I don't want anything to come as a surprise.

(There shouldn't be any surprises as the only thing we haven't done yet is combat and that is really simple. The attacker wins)

Edit: I'm guessing the piece was left there for defensive purposes, but just making sure you know that you could have moved that bottom piece up (the fact that there was a piece on the hex at the start of the turn doesnt stop you from moving another piece there if the first one leaves).

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:06 am UTC

Yeah, it was supposed to stay there.
I have a plan. Plans on top of plans. With plans on top.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:03 am UTC

I have a question as what decides if a city is yours. Do you have to go on top of it to capture? if you are no longer touching it, is it still yours? Should we color our cities so we know who has captured them?

(PS i only just switched to using gimp (as in yesterday) so even basic tasks are a struggle (such as how the hell to I select a piece and move it? atm i am cutting and pasting.... i can move an entire layer, but not part of one...)

EDIT: Off to Ansain
Attachments
Turn 3.JPG
Turn 3.JPG (34.13 KiB) Viewed 4265 times

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:06 am UTC

1) Your first step is to create new units. If you control any empty uncontested city hex's at the start of your turn, you may place a unit in that city hex oriented in any direction. That unit may not move this turn. You control a city if you have a unit in a hex next to that city. That unit may still move later in the turn. A city is contested (and does not produce units) if an enemy also has a unit in a hex next to the city. Ally units do not stop your unit production.

If you have a unit next to or on a city and none of your enemies do it is yours, otherwise it is not. No further markings neccesary.
EDIT: Ah, but if two allies have a unit next to a city who is assumed to be controlling it? Can they both build from the city in the same cycle of turns?

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:32 am UTC

thanks patashu, that's exactly how it works. Better still you only have to have the unit next to it during the phase 1 of your turn, you can still move it later (my move is an example of this). By the way are you interested in playing in the next game?

In answer to your question, two allies could potentially share a city, but they would have to cycle through who gets to produce units. Player A could not produce while player B's unit is in the city. But player A would get to build the next turn since player B could not build the same turn he moves the unit off the city. This would save a little bit of time, but may be complex to work out and relies on both players never planning to backstab one another.

As far as moving the pieces goes don't worry about moving the entire layer. As long as you can get the units in the right hex's facing the right directions you're fine. I use word to do my moves and just move the pieces as images on top of the board (which is one big group image). This allows me to get a fresh map up every time around and eliminate any confusion caused by copy pasting.

Edit: after that big paragraph I forgot to get my move up. Here it is.
On to you tigion.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:28 am UTC

Tigion . We need to keep him contained. So block off his exit from the south and ill block the northern one, leaving him only those 3 cities. Then we can pincer attack him.

(I figured strategy talk between allies should not be PM because if we were playing a board game we could hear each other talk.)

EDIT: wow i spelled your name completely wrong sorry

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:15 pm UTC

Kay,
Turn 4.JPG
Turn 4.JPG (32.29 KiB) Viewed 4213 times

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:49 am UTC

on to you ansain
Attachments
Turn 4.JPG
Turn 4.JPG (34.78 KiB) Viewed 4177 times

Patashu
Answerful Bignitude

Postby Patashu » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:46 am UTC

Your unit seems to have carried the entire city with it, Gojoe. :lol:

Btw, this game reminds me of a cross between Advance Wars (or equivalent) and Feeble Chess.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:01 am UTC

I've never played feeble chess, but the rules do seem similar. It doesn't surprise me though since I figured something this simple had to be done before.

On to you tigion

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:51 am UTC

Turn 5.JPG
Turn 5.JPG (32.96 KiB) Viewed 4163 times

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:30 pm UTC

back to you a-dawg (thank you for fixing it up :D)
Attachments
Turn 5.JPG
Turn 5.JPG (33.08 KiB) Viewed 4141 times

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:01 pm UTC

looks like things are heating up now. On to you tigion.

Tigerlion

Postby Tigerlion » Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

arrgh, there were no good options that I saw. Oh well.
Turn 6.JPG
Turn 6.JPG (33.4 KiB) Viewed 4104 times

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:11 am UTC

here ya go
Attachments
Turn 6.JPG
Turn 6.JPG (36.13 KiB) Viewed 4063 times

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:59 am UTC

Now lets see if I can't break free before you start outproducing me.

By the way I thought up a possible expansion to this game. This will not change the game in progress or any future games unless we want to play by the expansion rules, but I thought I'd share as it seemed pretty cool. (spoilered for length)

Spoiler:
The expansion adds 3 new types of units each with some special abilities, strengths, and weaknesses.(it also adds a possibility of factions with unique abilities, but I haven't thought of enough of those or how to balance them). Rather than just produce a unit in a city, you produce a specific kind of unit from the four choices (swordsman, archer, spearman, knight)
The three new units are the Archer, the Spearman, and the Knight (The swordsman is just like the basic unit in the original version). They form a sort of elemental weakness triangle such that if a knight attacks a spearman the knight also dies, if a spearman attacks an archer the spearman also dies, and if a archer attacks a knight the archer also dies.
In addition each unit has their own special move.
-The knight can move two spaces forward instead of one.
-The archer can attack the unit in the hex in front of him without moving (this does count as his move for the turn
-The spearman can move and reorient in the same turn (in either order) but can only reorient by 60 degrees when doing so.
-The swordsman is the basic unit from the first version. he has no special strength or weakness.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:16 am UTC

I kinda like the idea, but i think it needs to be expanded on. I think a game that was actually meant to be a 2 vs 2 would be fun. Like say player X on both sides can only produce unit A and B while player Y on both sides can only produce units C and D. That way it will not be like lots of games that are already around...

Also i think that the way you have it the Knights will absolutely own everyone. although besides that, the defenses you could have with archers are very intriguing.

Ansain

Postby Ansain » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:54 pm UTC

knights are very powerful, but you cant rule out the spearmans ability to move and reorient or their ability to kill a knight when defending against one. The idea was spearmen > knights > archers > spearmen .

I like the thought of a 2 on 2 match where players are limited in their unit production. you could also do a 3 v 3 and have swordsman available to all.

Also I came up with 5 factions last night.
Spoiler:
Each faction has a special move that they can do once per turn. I guess right now they arent really factions but just special moves that players get. If I make an over all theme to the game I could write up descriptions that explain who each faction is and why they get these abilities.
1) Move a swordsman that you created this turn
2) Use an archer to attack a unit 2 hex's away
3) reorient a spearman to face any direction before or after moving
4) Move a knight one hex, reorient it by 60 degrees then move it again
5) Attack a unit which your unit is weak against and not die.

Gojoe

Postby Gojoe » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:05 pm UTC

The problem is that the more in depth you get the more you scare people off. You just have to find the right balance.

Return to “Forum Games”