Nomic Anyone? (3.0)

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

krazykate

Nomic Anyone? (3.0)

Postby krazykate » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

It's mental calvinball at it's best. let the games begin.

EDIT: the rules are getting longer, so it's easy to get confused. if you would like to join but don't understand the rules, feel free to post questions in this thread or PM me.

Section 1: Basic Rules

1. all posts must follow the rules.
2. anyone may post in this thread.
3. anyone may add a new rule (see 1,10)
4. krazykate may veto one rule per week.
5. krazykate is the final decider on the legality of a rule/post.
6. anything not covered in the rules is not allowed.
7. Rules only apply to posts made after the rule was introduced. rules are introduced the moment they are posted, meaning that, while this rulesheet will be as up-to-date as possible, it may at times not include the entire set of rules.
8. No rules may have a one time effect (e.g. "Mat gets a million points") with the exception of a rule that overturning other rules.
9. Rules may define terms used in other rules
10. In order for a new rule to be valid, the player proposing it must also make a valid Word Post within 30 minutes of posting the proposed Rule. until the Word Post is made, the rule is not valid.
11. No rules may be limited in their application only to one particular player.

Section 2: Changing and Overturning of Rules

Definitions
1. Decrees are acts of authority that can only be made by krazykate. Unless specified in a rule concerning a type of decree, decrees are not limited (in number/strength).
2. Anything requiring a two-thirds majority requires at least 7 posters voting favorably to pass.
3. Anything requiring a simple majority requires at least 3 posters voting favorably to pass.
4. Anything requiring a unanimous vote requires at least 15 posters voting favorably to pass.

Voting Powers
5. Rules may only be amended by a two-thirds majority or decree. No more than 3 rules per week may be amended by decree.
6. Rules may only be overturned by a two-thirds majority or decree. Decrees overturning a rule are considered a "veto".
7. The standard debate period is 48 hours, all debates are over within the standard period unless otherwise specified.

Debates

8. Debates constitute a vote over the following topics: locking/unlocking a rule, overturning a decree, overturning a rule, or an amending a rule. Posts contributing to the debate can either contain a vote, proposed language for the rule being voted upon or discussion on the topic at hand.
9. Debate over a rule can be opened either by decree, or a simple majority within a 24 hour period.
10. All votes must contain the exact language of the rule being voted for in a quote, and a vote of Yea or Nay in bold.
11. All ties in a vote requiring a simple majority will be broken by krazykate.
12. When determining any type of majority or a unanimous vote only count the posters who actually voted during the debate period. No abstaining votes will be counted.
13. Decrees may be opened to debate by a simple majority. At the end of the standard debate period, krazykate's decision may be overturned by a two-thirds majority.
14. Decrees can only be made on topics listed in the rules as being subject to decree.
15. If two rules governing the same topic are put forward within 2 hours of each other the topic is immediately opened for debate. The end result of this debate must be a new rule governing the original topic but does not have to contain the language of either rule originally put forward. This debate can be ended by a decree declaring the language of the new rule or a simple majority by the end of the standard debate period.

Locking Rules
16. Rules can only be locked or unlocked by a unanimous vote.
17. A locked rule cannot be amended or opened for debate.

Section 3: Miscellaneous
1. Anyone who complains that we already have several nomic threads loses a million points, whether they want to play or not
2. Double posts will be tolerated but are not recommended.
3. Spelling and/or grammar errors do not disqualify a rule, but can be taken advantage of.
4. for convenience sake, each category of rules has a number. each rule under that category has another number. the location of a rule will be expressed as "X,Y", where X is the category, and Y is the rule (e.g. 3,24)

Section 4: Basic Gameplay
1. In order to score points, players will make Word Posts. Word Posts consist of three parts: Summary, Word, and Score.
2. In the summary part of the post, the poster places the words posted by previous Word Posts in order, forming a partial or complete sentence.
3. In the Word part of the post, the poster adds a word to the end of the summary such that the grammar of the sentence(s) is still intact.
4. In addition to a word, the player may place any grammatically and logically correct punctuation after his/her word.
5. If the word does not fit into the grammar of the sentence, the post is void.
6. If the word does not exist in [url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/"]merriam-webster's[/url] dictionary, or is not a verifiable proper noun, the post is void.
7. hyphenated words (e.g. man-bear-pig) are illegal.
8. The poster scores one point for every letter in the word (s)he posts.
9. In the Score part of the post, the poster totals the points (s)he has scored over the course of the game.
10. No one may make two Word Posts in a row.
11. Any player that reaches 500 points wins.
12. If the word you post in your Word Post contains a 'Q' then the previous person to post a Word Post must subtract the points from his post from his score instead of add them.
13. If the word you post in your Word Post contains a 'Z' then the previous person to post a Word Post may double the points he gained from his last post.
14. Word posts and rules about word posts are not case-sensitive.
15. Players cannot have negative points. If a player's score would go below zero, it instead becomes zero.
16. Each Word Post must be separated by at least one Word Post from another player.
17. Words submitted in Word Posts may not contain the letter "Q".
18. If more than one player simultaneously gains enough points to win, then nobody wins, and the number of points required to constitute a win is immediately multiplied by 10.

Section 5: Scoring
"Point Pool" refers to the points (of any type) carried by a player.
There are now four types of points. When someone refers to points (in play or rules) without a prefix, they are referring to RegularPoints.
RegularPoints (RPs)
AntiPoints (APs)
DestructionPoints (DPs)
StealthPoints (SPs)

2. Trading Points for Actions
A player may pay 50 DPs to subtract 200 points of any two types from any player.
A player may pay 15 SPs to steal 150 points of any one type from another player.
A player may pay 10 SPs to give 100 points of any one type to another player.
A player may pay 10 APs and 10 RPs for a DP.
Any time a Decree is made, each player shall receive 1000 points, plus 10 points per letter in his or her user name.
Any time a proposed rule is vetoed, the player who proposed it shall receive 1000 points.
Every hour, on the hour, each player shall receive 1000 points, plus 10 points per letter in his or her user name. (note: points claimed in this way become APs because of Section 5 rule 3)

3. Recieving Points
Any time RPs are received that did not require action on the part of the player, that player receives instead half that amount in APs (1000 RPs = 500 APs).
DPs are received by trading APs and RPs for them. See Trading Points for Actions.
When posting a Word Post, a player may claim one SP instead of the RPs they would claim.
RPs and SPs do not count unless claimed by the player. DPs and APs count whether claimed or not.
Last edited by krazykate on Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:24 am UTC, edited 11 times in total.

Camoninja

Re: Nomic Anyone? (3.0)

Postby Camoninja » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:11 pm UTC

just revive the old thread
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent- Isaac Asimov

...Space, with nothing on top, nothing on the bottom, and a lot of empty nothings between... falling in the middle of nothing, on the way to no particular night and no particular morning.

Asmodieus

Postby Asmodieus » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:27 pm UTC

Saging ftw
Tillian wrote:Yeah, but the polar bears get more territorial during the summer, so we have to stay indoors.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Tue Dec 02, 2008 9:44 pm UTC

Asmodieus wrote:Saging ftw

what's saging, and what does it have to do with this thread?

I'm starting a new thread because the old one was a different game with different rules. I figured bringing back the 2.0 thread would only cause unnecessary confusion.

Edit: if I run out of space in the first post, this post will probably be where I put additional rules.
Last edited by krazykate on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:53 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Mat

Postby Mat » Tue Dec 02, 2008 10:37 pm UTC

New rule:
Rules only apply to posts made after the rule was introduced

New rule:
No rules which have a one time effect (e.g. "Mat gets a million points") with the exception of rules overturning other rules

New rule:
Anyone who complains that we already have several nomic threads automatically loses a million points, whether they want to play or not

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:28 pm UTC

nice addition Mat. I added a bit to the first one for clarity. I also added a rule for how other rules can be overturned so that the exception to the second rule makes sense.

also, lol at your third rule.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:43 am UTC

New Rules:
1. Rules may only be amended by a two-thirds majority or decree. No more than 3 rules per week may be amended by decree.

2. Rules may only be overturned by a two-thirds majority or decree. Decrees overturning a rule are considerd a "veto".

3. Rules may define terms used in any rule.

4. The standard debate period is 48 hours, all debates are over within the standard period unless otherwise specified.

5. Debates constitute a vote over the following topics: locking/unlocking a rule, overturning a decree, overturning a rule, or an amemdment to a rule. Posts contributing to the debate can either contain a vote, proposed language for the rule being voted upon or discussion on the topic at hand.

6. All votes must contain the exact language of the rule being voted for in a quote, and a vote of Yea or Nay in bold.

7. Anything requiring a two-thirds majority requires at least 7 posters voting favorably to pass.

8. Anything requiring a simple majority requires at least 3 posters voting favorably to pass.

9. Anything requiring a unanimous vote requires at least 15 posters voting favorably to pass.

10. All ties in a vote requiring a simple majority will be broken by krazykate.

11. Decrees may be opened to debate by a simple majority. At the end of the standard debate period krazykate's decision may be overturned by a two-thirds majority.

12. Debate over a rule can be opened either by decree, or a simple majority within a 24 hour period.

13. Decrees are acts of authority that can only be made by krazykate. Unless specified in a rule concerning a type of decree, decrees are not limited (in number/strength).

14. Rules can only be locked or unlocked by a unanimous vote.

15. A locked rule cannot be ammended or opened for debate.

Yes, I single-handedly introduced democracy to this Nomic. Go me.

Topic to discuss: I think we already need to implement a numbering system for the rules.

Edit:
krazykate wrote:nice addition Mat. I added a bit to the first one for clarity. I also added a rule for how other rules can be overturned so that the exception to the second rule makes sense.

also, lol at your third rule.

Dammit, I took way to long to write all of those down. Hrm... how do we want to handle my overturn/amendment rules versus yours? I think a decree is in order.

Edit 2: Added numbers for reference.
Last edited by nsmjohn on Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:18 am UTC

New rules:
-Double posts will be tolerated but are not recommended.

-If two rules governing the same topic are put forward within 2 hours of eachother the topic is immediately opened for debate. The end result of this debate must be a new rule governing the original topic but does not have to contain the language of either rule originally put forward. This debate can be ended by a decree declaring the language of the new rule or a simple majority by the end of the standard debate period.

-Spelling and/or grammar errors do not disqualify a rule, but can be taken advantage of.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:45 am UTC

nsmjohn, that was a pretty impressive feat. We have to clarify what a majority is. right now, anyone who posts is considered playing. if we want to have a voting system, we'd need to define what a voting member is.
also, we need to define "decree". is that a change that I can make to rules? if so, what limits are put on the kinds of changes I can make?

I just put my change to the rules up as kind of a quick fix. you obviously put a lot more thought and effort into your solution, so lets use yours.

new rule:
-for convenience sake, each category of rules has a number. each rule under that category has another number. the location of a rule will be expressed as "X,Y", where X is the category, and Y is the rule (e.g. 3,24)

I'll update the rules later, I don't feel like working with all those right now.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:05 am UTC

krazykate wrote:nsmjohn, that was a pretty impressive feat. We have to clarify what a majority is. right now, anyone who posts is considered playing. if we want to have a voting system, we'd need to define what a voting member is.
also, we need to define "decree". is that a change that I can make to rules? if so, what limits are put on the kinds of changes I can make?

Note: numbers only refer to rules in my original post, which has been edited to add numbers.
Majority is clarified in rules 7, 8 and 9.
Voting is clarified in rules 5 & 6, and a new rule at the bottom of this post.
Decrees are clarified by rule 13, rules 1, 2, 11 and 12 mention types of decrees. New rule at bottom of post.

New Rule to further clarify voting:
-When determining any type of majority or a unanimous vote only count the posters who actually voted during the debate period. No abstaining votes will be counted.

New Rule to further clarify Decrees:
-Decrees can only be made on topics listed in the rules as being subject to decree.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:22 pm UTC

Aright, everything is updated. A lot of those rules aren't as complicated as they look, since a lot of them only take effect when we want to change an already-made rule.
now we need to make this game playable.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:59 pm UTC

It's been two days and nobody has posted anything. Any ideas what I can do to get this game working? Maybe this isn't the right forum to be posting in?

Mat

Postby Mat » Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:09 pm UTC

*shrug*
we need some actual gameplay rules.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:48 pm UTC

New Rules:
1. In order to score points, players will make Word Posts. Word Posts consist of three parts: Summary, Word, and Score.
2. In the summary part of the post, the poster places the words posted by previous Word Posts in order, forming a partial or complete sentence.
3. In the Word part of the post, the poster adds a word to the end of the summary such that the grammar of the sentence(s) is still intact.
4. In addition to a word, the player may place any grammatically and logically correct punctuation after his/her word.
5. If the word does not fit into the grammar of the sentence, the post is void.
6. If the word does not exist in [url="http://www.merriam-webster.com/"]merriam-webster's[/url] dictionary, or is not a verifiable proper noun, the post is void.
7. hyphenated words (e.g. man-bear-pig) are illegal.
8. The poster scores one point for every letter in the word (s)he posts.
9. In the Score part of the post, the poster totals the points (s)he has scored over the course of the game.
10. No one may make two Word Posts in a row.
11. Any player that reaches 500 points wins.

Now we have some gameplay. I'll start off.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:51 pm UTC

Summary: [I've got the first Word Post so nothing goes here]
Word: Velociraptors
Score: 13

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:35 pm UTC

Summary: Velociraptors
Word: withstand
Score: 9

DrakeSD

Postby DrakeSD » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 pm UTC

New Rules:

1. If the word you post in your Word Post contains a 'Q' then the previous person to post a Word Post must subtract the points from his post from his score instead of add them.

2. If the word you post in your Word Post contains a 'Z' then the previous person to post a Word Post may double the points he gained from his last post.
Owimacattsor!

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:41 pm UTC

New rules:

- Word posts and rules about word posts are not case-sensitive.

- In order for a new rule to be valid, the player proposing it must also make a valid Word Post within 30 minutes of posting the proposed Rule.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:43 pm UTC

New Rule:
Players cannot have negative points. If a player's score would go below zero, it instead becomes zero.

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:44 pm UTC

Summary: Velociraptors withstand
Word: quagmires;
Score: 9

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:57 pm UTC

really? a semicolon? ick.

Summary: Velociraptors withstand quagmires;
Word: tyrannosaurs
Score: 26

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:59 pm UTC

New rule:

- The phrase "in a row" is clarified to mean "with no intervening posts".

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:01 pm UTC

Summary: Velociraptors withstand quagmires; tyrannosaurs
Word: quickly
Score: 16

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:05 pm UTC

New rule:

- The string "illegal." in rule 4,7 is replaced with "illegal, if they contain more than one hyphen."

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:07 pm UTC

Summary: Velociraptors withstand quagmires; tyrannosaurs quickly
Word: sink
Score: 20

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:29 pm UTC

Rick, I don't think your last rule is allowed. There are rules in place for how to change other rules, and it involves discussion and voting.

Even if it was a legal rule, I'd use my veto on it, because players would gratuitously combine words just to score extra points.

also, I forgot to fix that loophole about posting two Word Posts, so I'll have to make a...

New Rule:
Each Word Post must be separated by at least one Word Post from another player.
Last edited by krazykate on Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:31 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:30 pm UTC

New rules:

- RocketRick shall receive 1000 points every hour, on the hour, until someone wins the game.

- No subsequent rules may be limited in their application only to one particular player.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:34 pm UTC

I was afraid someone would make a rule like that, but wasn't sure what to do to stop it. I like the way you worded it. We could still have a problem with someone getting around this rule by making a new rule saying "me and my friend both score 1000 points on the hour". Any ideas how we could stop that?

I veto the rule about recieving points on the hour.

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:I was afraid someone would make a rule like that, but wasn't sure what to do to stop it. I like the way you worded it.

If you liked it so much, why'd you veto it? It was legal under the current rule set, and well in keeping with the spirit of Nomic ("mental calvinball" to use a well-turned phrase I once heard....).

Plus, it was posted within a half hour of my last Word Post....

- Rick

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:40 pm UTC

Summary: Velociraptors withstand quagmires; tyrannosaurs quickly
Word: defenestrate
Score: 25

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:45 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:Rick, I don't think your last rule is allowed. There are rules in place for how to change other rules, and it involves discussion and voting.

Even if it was a legal rule, I'd use my veto on it, because players would gratuitously combine words just to score extra points.

Even if not a valid rule, it was an "intervening post"....

RocketRick wrote:- The phrase "in a row" is clarified to mean "with no intervening posts".

krazykate wrote:also, I forgot to fix that loophole about posting two Word Posts, so I'll have to make a...

New Rule:

Bummer.

- Rick

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:47 pm UTC

RocketRick wrote:
krazykate wrote:I was afraid someone would make a rule like that, but wasn't sure what to do to stop it. I like the way you worded it.

If you liked it so much, why'd you veto it? It was legal under the current rule set, and well in keeping with the spirit of Nomic ("mental calvinball" to use a well-turned phrase I once heard....).

Plus, it was posted within a half hour of my last Word Post....

- Rick

I liked the second rule keeping others from doing it. I don't like the "give myself points" rule, but "on the hour every hour" was clever. In the rules it doesn't say I have to have a reason for vetoing, so even though you definitely kept with the spirit of Calvinball (and made my laugh), I'm still allowed to stop your rule from becoming valid.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:48 pm UTC

RocketRick wrote:
krazykate wrote:Rick, I don't think your last rule is allowed. There are rules in place for how to change other rules, and it involves discussion and voting.

Even if not a valid rule, it was an "intervening post"....

RocketRick wrote:- The phrase "in a row" is clarified to mean "with no intervening posts".

krazykate wrote:also, I forgot to fix that loophole about posting two Word Posts, so I'll have to make a...

New Rule:

Bummer.

- Rick

lol. sorry.

krazykate

Postby krazykate » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:51 pm UTC

WTF? why do the letters ell oh ell get replaced with burning cheese?

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:Summary: Velociraptors withstand quagmires; tyrannosaurs quickly
Word: defenestrate
Score: 25

I don't think this is a valid word post. The summary should have read "Velociraptors withstand quagmires; tyrannosaurs quickly sink", and I don't believe "defenestrate" is a grammatically correct followup.

- Rick

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:01 pm UTC

Summary: Velociraptors withstand quagmires; tyrannosaurs quickly sink
Word: zoogeographically.
Score: 41

(20 + 4 from doubling my "sink" score + 17 for "zoogeographically")

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:04 pm UTC

New rule:

- Every hour, on the hour, each player shall receive 1000 points, plus 10 points per letter in his or her user name, until someone wins the game.

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:11 pm UTC

krazykate wrote:New Rule:

This rule was not within a half hour of a valid Word Post by krazykate, and is therefore not valid, by my reading. Correct me if I'm wrong....

- Rick

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:14 pm UTC

New rules:

- Any time a Decree is made, each player shall receive 1000 points, plus 10 points per letter in his or her user name.

- Any time a proposed rule is vetoed, the player who proposed it shall receive 1000 points.

RocketRick

Postby RocketRick » Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:17 pm UTC

Summary: Velociraptors withstand quagmires; tyrannosaurs quickly sink zoogeographically.
Word: Zookeepers
Score: 68

(41 + 17 for doubling "zoogeographically" + 10 for "Zookeepers")

Return to “Forum Games”