Mornington Crescent

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Whelan

Re: Mornington Crescent

Postby Whelan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:51 pm UTC

I can ignore Heathrow's domestic closure by running across the bridge to scare some pollies, which'll let me perform a secondary oxidation leaving me with 743 Ketones and Baker Street
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!
A tame dragon is its own reward.

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:34 pm UTC

However, citing the precedent of the third Mortimor Variation, I find you at exposed by Tollens' reagent and subject to pollie detention under the anti-terrorism act of 2001, placing you in nid and allowing me to progress to Finchley Road. MC in 2.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:02 pm UTC

Chalk Map to block Jumble, giving me 3 Quid and in a bit of cheeky vigor I halt the Norther Line with a diagonal circle crossing. MC in 5.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

JonR

Postby JonR » Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:59 am UTC

I'm feeling peckish, and Chalk Map gives me the ideal escape route, using Thurairajasinghams 2nd amendment, I can claim Brick Lane, and put most of East London into a bit of a tricky situation.
"I thought you had Kings!" - boy did I laugh.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:03 pm UTC

I'm glad I just crossed the river then. I can trade in my oyster and pick up a lobster if I make a bilateral dash to Hackney.
"I like to be understood whenever I open my mouth; I have a horror of blinding people with science"- Richard Dawkins
Weeks wrote:
TaintedDeity wrote:And all I get is this tame space dragon. Where's my recognition?!

JonR

Postby JonR » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:32 am UTC

I'm going to challenge Hackney - it's a bit too genereal, do you mean Hackney Wick, Hackney Downs, Hackney Central, Hackney Town Hall, Hackney Empire....? or were you suggesting that you're taking a Hackney Carriage?

which is beside the point that anywhere in Hackney puts you in knid, makes the game wide open for anyone to steal it in 3, and forces you to miss two goes - why would anyone make such a school boy error?!

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:47 pm UTC

Backwards lateral shunt to Camden Town. Also using my apricots here to gain the oranges. MC in 2

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:11 pm UTC

I use my opening shunt to deny your connections, playing at Gospel Oak and trade my reds for your oranges. MC is locked down for 4 turns.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

JonR

Postby JonR » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:09 am UTC

interesting move - you've played this before right?

... I'll take one of your reds, add an overpass, and jump to Redbridge

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:38 pm UTC

Jon's move to Redbridge effectively pincers both the whites and the greys, but it leaves the interntionals crippled. Fortunately that re-opens the connections closed by BurningLed and allows me to advance to Mornington Crescent. The unforunate (and very rare) circumstance now, is the fact that I can't claim MC until the next turn due to Lord Simon Bolvail's rule (See Section 1.9.4.b, pp 4 and 17) listed in the Book of the Mysterious MC of which there were 417 copies printed. So MC next turn.

For the next game I'd like to play a Spiral MC. Every shunt is a spiral shunt. Should open up the game big time. I guess we should finish this one first though.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:43 pm UTC

Maybe you have this one, but I'm going to give myself a generous advantage next round, and charge all of my tokens, including the shunt and laterals, and transfer my holding at Gospel Oak. I'll also pass the play this turn in favor of a double opening next game.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

eviloatmeal

Postby eviloatmeal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:51 am UTC

Double openings on odd lines was a rule that got amended in the 17th edition, nobody has been using that ruleset since like... 2009. Duh.

Clearly the logical move here is Bow Road.
*** FREE SHIPPING ENABLED ***
Riddles are abound tonightImage

Jumble

Postby Jumble » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:34 pm UTC

Sir, a gentleman (or lady - sorry, PBD) does not deploy logic in this game. That's tantamount to cheating. I shall illustrate this point by following the metropolis ley line to Totteridge and Whetstone.
Spoiler:
Giant Speck wrote:You're a demon! DEMON!!!!

Oregonaut wrote:CURSE YOU VILLAIN!!
PhoenixEnigma wrote:Jumble is either the best or worst Santa ever, and I can't figure out which. Possibly both.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

You got your logic in my Mornington crescent! I'll head over to Paddington, with a view to visiting Cardiff.
Weeks wrote:

JonR

Postby JonR » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm UTC

What a marvelous move!
what can anyone say after a move like that?

... welll, I can say Mornington Crescent!

unless I'm very much mistaken, it's a remarkably often missed transverse, parrallel shunted, quasi orthogonal, non governmental, bifurcated trouser move.
(look it up in Peverell, it's there in Annex 4)

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm UTC

Can we use the historic 314th rule set, 15th revision? It's also known as the edition used in the March 14th, 1915 Honiker's Tournament between Nellie the Chicken, the (fake) CRESCENT machine which had champion Rul Jalkenburg inside, and nine year old amateur Khel Foen. I believe 3,141 copies were made, 59 of which were first edition, 2,653 of which were second edition, 58 were specially printed as the tournament edition a week before the match, and 97 were third edition. The other two hundred and seventy four were printed unofficially in replacement after the fire at the Mornington Library, and are referred to loosely as editions 1B, 2B, and 3B.

The above information, of course, was included to avoid confusion with the Picrescent fan set.

I will start with Hyde Park.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

JonR

Postby JonR » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:02 pm UTC

I'm not sure that I'm too familiar with the differences between the 15th revision, and previous ones, of the 314th rule set.
Is that the one that allows extra attacking dice if you're shunted from Bayswater, whilst in spoon?

Hyde Park is an excellent oppener at this level of the game.

I'll go with Baker Street, as a fairly none aggressive return, hoping for a flush or straight draw on the next circle line move.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:52 pm UTC

In that case, I will play Paddington, blocking both your orange and red line escape routes while earning me fairly easy access to the yellow and green lines of attack.
SexyTalon wrote:If it walks like a person, talks like a person, and tastes like a person, it's probably a person. Or I Can't Believe It's Not People, which cannibals prefer to Soylent Green nearly 5 to 1 in a blind taste test.

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:07 pm UTC

I'll place a counter on Marylebone then shall I.
Weeks wrote:

JonR

Postby JonR » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:31 pm UTC

Edgeware Road gives me four in a row, and I can put the previous player (Whelan) in knid, everyone else misses a turn, and I take a Chance card;
"Advance to Mayfair - advance directly. do not pass go. do not collect £200. No shunting allowed."
... bugger - I'm in knid now as well.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:05 pm UTC

I shall stop spectating and play now. I'll start with the old favourite: Uxbridge. Yes it's unimaginitive, but it's a very strong move with regards to influence.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:20 pm UTC

Ha! You fell into a trap unique to this set! I play Heathrow Airport, sending Sly, Jon, and Whelan into a triple Pythagorean spiral. I have a Forillyan pincer move on all involved players, and attacking lines in the orange, yellow, and green quadrants. The red, purple, and fuschia quadrants are blocked off to everyone but me, and further more, I have MC in 3.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:21 pm UTC

I think you're getting confused with the 16th revision there, kai. Pythagorean spirals weren't introduced until the 16th. We're playing the 15th.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

Whelan

Postby Whelan » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 pm UTC

Which as an improper play puts you in Nidd with us, that's three and now we have a traffic jam. Great.
Weeks wrote:

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:28 pm UTC

SlyReaper wrote:I think you're getting confused with the 16th revision there, kai. Pythagorean spirals weren't introduced until the 16th. We're playing the 15th.

I meant the approximate equivalent which was introduce here and is the reason this counts as a first level trap - the Ying level of the Rhaemmen curve, referred to in the handbook as the Galileo's dilemma. It has no clear terminology, so I simply said Pythagorean, hoping you all would realize what I meant.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:19 pm UTC

The only thing that circumvents that, which is also part of Galileo's dilemma (not to be confused with Galileo's Dilemma), is the Eigenvector theorum. Anyone who's read the handbook knows exactly what I'm talking about. I'm gonna sit this round out, but if you realize that the EVT is always in effect here, Sly's argument invalidates your first level trap and renders the Rhaemmen curve a Rhaemmen line.

At best your pincer takes half the rows, the apricots and the mellon tokens. You'll have the yellow and...I think the blues also. It's still a really good move.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:40 pm UTC

Ah, but that was the interpretation of that theorem up until the 14th revision; the 1638th page (torn out in many books due to vandalism) clearly states that the Normanian Lionel's solution is made legal. It wasn't before due to Illiger's paradoxes which arose from it, and these were overturned by the inclusion of Heisenland Check Equations. In this case, the solution is valid, making the move perfectly legal. I do believe this is the first point at which this previously purely theoretical move has been used in actual play, so I see why there is so much hubbub about it.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:25 pm UTC

Well if you read St. Miles Delour's writings, and you should as an MC player, you would see that he's studied the Heisenland Check Equations thoroughly and disproven most of them, including the one that created the stir during the 14th revision. The 14th revision is as you said, but if you go and read the 15th revision, especially pp 632 A-Q, and midway through page 1019, you'll notice that Delour's work largely invalidates the HCE's.

The only other time I've seen this type of move attempted was the Pheasant Tournament of 1802. And we all know how that ended.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:57 pm UTC

Well, Delour's work wasn't known yet, and truisms had not yet been outlawed, so that was full swing of the fad of including every 'truism' possible; thus, the supposed result of the HCEs was included in the rules, thus making them valid for this rule set. Either way, even if they didn't work, it would only mean Illiger's paradoxes exist. This trap activates none of them, so the Lionel's solution still has the same result.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:14 pm UTC

Except we're playing with the 15th revision ruleset. ;-)

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:30 pm UTC

True, but first edition is what I'm using. There was a small comment on the possible meaning of Delour's work on the intended rules in second edition (they had just been published then), and an entire section was devoted to it in the third edition. Also, it is completely removed in fourth, fifth, and sixth. I think first edition should be what we use for now, since all other editions were printed after 16th revision 1st edition.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:42 pm UTC

Well we could go around and around forever arguing about this rule. In fact, there's some prominent members of the government Filibustering a bill, using this exact discussion as we speak (which I'm watching pieces of), so it seems rather fruitless. I'll let play resume since I'm not participating in this game.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:56 pm UTC

I would play, but it's not my turn. Anyhow, it is a worthy argument, but first edition is the one I'm using. I hope no one disagrees.

JonR

Postby JonR » Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:40 am UTC

I'm still in Knid (or is it Nidd?) - and as no one else has had a go yet, I'll be in here for a while....

as a side question - is there a time limit for being 'In Spoon'?

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:49 pm UTC

I'm staying out of this game, but to JonR:

Knid or Nidd depends on your ruleset. For all of the historic 314th, it's Knid. However, the spelling is important, especially in rulesets like the Jackleg 19th, where Knid, Nidd, and Nid are all seperate conditions. If you were in Knid for example, diagonal shunts would be impossible, whereas cardinals were okay. Nidd is the exact opposite -- Diagonal shunts okay, cardinals would incur a 9-turn red signal penalty. In Nid, shunts are out completely, and the signals are always red or purple, no matter what.

Spoon is always indefinite for most rulesets; until your signal is freed or otherwise changed. Also, certain token exchanges may be able to get you out.

Welsh Mullet

Postby Welsh Mullet » Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:04 pm UTC

I'll start.

Aldwych

JonR

Postby JonR » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:37 pm UTC

you can't 'start' at Aldwych, as we're in the middle of a game, and the last person to atually have a go was at Heathrow Airport.

Aldwych is a valid move, if somewhat silly at this point in the game, and if I take it as a valid move, then I shall use my stunning knowledge of central London, and reply with Liverpool St Station (National Rail), for a spoon, a fork, and a set of salad servers.

Mishrak

Postby Mishrak » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:56 pm UTC

Well that's certainly a sticky wicket if I ever saw one there. I wonder how they're going to handle it. I see a couple of revolver oscillations that would counter JonR's move, but I'll keep quiet about that. I also see two MC's in 3's for two players. You can PM me for tips if you want, but otherwise i'll not say anything about that either.

I must say, reading Sir Walton Nabil's An Every Mornington Crescent, Including Some Eggs & Bacon has been very educational. Even though it was partially meant to be a satire, the title is a play-on-words (Morning, Croissant), and it was written in 1794, he does cover some very intresting (albeit controversial) moves and ideas for really opening up the game. Try and find a copy if you can - however it was never reprinted, so it might be difficult. There's 246 existing copies left.

kaimason1
WINNING

Postby kaimason1 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:23 pm UTC

I have three, being a collector of these type of things. Some of his moves ARE flawed, though; I am in the process of compiling these in multiple books and solving them for the top 500 editions. My book is currently at 3000 pages of algorithms and proofs, and has with a handy 500 page reference book for the more common moves.

You missed that I still have MC in three, Mish; unless you missed the fact that any new person could also have it... or that one guy whom I won't name? You also missed three technicalities caused by rifle-bayonian triple orthogonal orange faux shunts which would effectively counter Jon. Anyhow, his move doesn't interfere with mine in any perceivable way, so I'll take my quiet move to the rarely considered Maida Vale, and bring myself down to MC in 2.

JonR

Postby JonR » Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:36 pm UTC

Charing Cross*

*surely there's no explanation needed for this move?!

Return to “Forum Games”