Dare: No Backspace

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Lorenz

Re: Dare: No Backspace

Postby Lorenz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

It IS quite an interesting idea, as I too wrtie (meaning write) a rough idea of what I mean to say and edit it later (usually). I do no harm in joining your conversation. I was actually just gonna say the thought that came to my head, concerning phlip's question, being that I didn't think I would think fast enough to make such chnges in mid sentence, but seeing as I have done so twice now, I appreciate the (appreciate... really? I'm not sure where I was going with this)...Anyways, it certainly is a fun way to keep our sentences coheret.

I had pressed enter twice, but then erased them as I had nothing else to say , yet I came back and pressed the entre key ti-twice again just to tell you ao-about it.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:07 am UTC

We're getting very meta about this, aren't we? I mean, we're talking about how to type with no backspaces in the proper manner when we're typing about no backspaces. And now I went apnd pointed that wout, and we have another layer of meta on our hads. Wow,. I type much better when I'm not looking at the screen/what I'm typing. I was staring idly at my word-of-the-day calendar for those first two sentences, and now I'm doing it consciously to ensure I don't fuck up because I've realized it now. And there's another layer of meta.

Wow, these posts aren't too coherent when I can't go back and revise. Neat.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.
I think the latter group is awesome.

thecamoninja

Postby thecamoninja » Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:48 am UTC

Good lord, a thread in forum games a that I'm actually interested in? That hasn't happened for a hell of a long time. FSM knows how long it's been since I've posted anywehre but hugs.
Formerly known as Camoninja
- - -
Join /FG/ on Discord
Hardcore will never die, but you will.
- - -
Subsequently known as Lavender Manna

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:31 am UTC

I really REALLY like this idea of just incorporaiting the rules into an actual conversation (or whatever this can ba-scratch- be called). I wonder how interesting the thread "If you look you must post" can become. That is , if we apply this same principle.

So far (@thecamoninja), I have comletely failed to migrate away from the forgiving forum games, as they feel like a comfortable forum to post at. When I joined, I thought I would be able to join the science/math/comics threads, but for some reason, I find myself with nothing to ay most of the times.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:32 am UTC

Forums Games does not judge, it has only love. And hugfs.
Axman wrote:Some people blow their cash on watches that they show off to people who think said watches make a person cool. Some people spend a weekend buying everyone fake gifts in a game of make-believe.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:37 am UTC

BurningLed wrote:And hugfs.

The hug file system: for when you need to store your embraces in a truly safe and secure manner.

[size] oops
Ntoe: no, I didn't edit the quote... I retyped it. No bacskace/delete/etc used.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:53 am UTC

i generally couldn't give a crap about my spelling, grammar, or typo's anwyway, althought i sdon't need an apostrophy in typos do it :D i'm surpridsed i've already had to resist backspacing 3 times, it seems to come more naturally then i had assumed,

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:31 pm UTC

I'M GOIN' TO A PARTY WOOOO PARTYIN' PARTYIN' YEAH!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:00 am UTC

[quote=@

Gah, stupid wrong keyboard layout. Let
's try that again.

AvatarIII wrote:i generally couldn't give a crap about my spelling, grammar, or typo's anwyway, althought i shdon't need an apostrophy in typos do it :D i'm surpridsed i've already had to resist backspacing 3 times, it seems to come more naturally than i had assumed,

There have been a few times in this thread where I've accidentally hit backspace before I realised I was doing it and have had to re-type the typo I just erased. That's not cheating, right? I even had to do it once in this post :?

The different positions of " and @ on UK vs US keyboard layouts really annoys me sometimes. It's the main think that gets me when I'm typing on a different computer...

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:18 am UTC

[quote=Adacore] The different positions of " and @...different computer [quo..... I will not try that again. I will simply sww[backspace][\backspace]eep the trouble under the rug[\quote]
I share your pain, but a solution, if I may offer my advice, is to buy a keyboard protector wih[backspace][\bacs[backspace][\backspace]kspace]th the keys painted on top, that way, you can always use it on another computer. (My computer has a spanish keyboard, but I bought a protector with the engls-w-engi-english keyboard, adding happined to my life)

On a second note, I am currently learning python, and may I say TAB please!!! I am used to programming in c and always use tab to indent the code... whover designe D python is simply evil.... and why no braquets (the squigly lines(I prmise(WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY TYPING TODAY) to think before I wrt-write now, scratch that "lines") ones). I'm sure Ill get used to it, but right ow (meant to say now, but "ow" ceratina stung me!, meaning to say "ow" certainly describes my feelings for lack of what I belive is necessary ).
I am sorry for my , perhaps incomprehensibe rambling.

Edit: Dang! I was sure I had that daaaarn quote right!!!

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Fri Jun 17, 2011 1:48 am UTC

I think you made two mistakes with the quote tags, Lorentz - the name of the person you're quoting needs to be in quotation marks, so quote="Adacore", rather than just quote=Adacore and the termination tag is /quote not \quote ;)

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:10 am UTC

I JUST GOT BACK FROM A PARTY WOOOO PARTYIN' PARTYIN' YEAH.

SmoothBlade

Postby SmoothBlade » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:21 am UTC

toobad its thursday, not friday
Otherwise known as Cheesy or Machete

A conservative furry! What a rarity!

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:36 am UTC

@Adacore: You are absolutely right! I had only noticed the "" Tags.
@BurningLed: How was the party? How many points did you "score"?
@SmoothBlade: It might actually be friday now wherever BUrningLed lives. Besides, many people party on thursdays, being a pirate, you should know ANY day is a good day for rum-drinking.

SmoothBlade

Postby SmoothBlade » Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:47 am UTC

and you beuing a russian spy means your idea of a party is vodka and bears on unicycles, nd and ue yes i know how offensive that make be towards russians it was ckind of speur of the moment, notmally normally i would have deleted that upon realizingw hat i wrote. oh well. and as a pirate, i shall steal yer booty
Otherwise known as Cheesy or Machete

A conservative furry! What a rarity!

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:59 am UTC

Lorenz wrote:@BurningLed: How was the party? How many points did you "score"?

There was no scoring, unfortunately, but it was fun and some guy brought water balloons and that shit went everywhere. Especially on the sexy men and women.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:01 am UTC

Editing is frowned upon, so I'll just add that wow I got through that with no typos how boss do I feel.

Chosen++

Postby Chosen++ » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:16 pm UTC

So, I am not allowed to hit the backspace key, not for typos, for stupid things that I may say, or anything else? Wow, that's easy.

BurningLed

Postby BurningLed » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

It's more fun if you do it quickly and smoethingly -- I didn't plan that part of the setnence -- but if you do it slowly that works to.o.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:07 am UTC

How About zi attempt to type out the lyrics of an entire Literal Trailer? (go look those up if you don't know what they are.) (they're awesome).

The Warrior's Way:
(oh and i'll try to do it wuickly tloo.)

Wintry Tree faides to the sword of a hery.
Sharpen your blade on the driveway heis is good.
Walk slowly in real time then run itn slowpmo (powerslide)
Sharpen your feen t on the drive-way.
Roughe plate goes inside.
Fight's over you win. Just kidding there were water ninjas in the river.
Slice a water ninja, turn em into water, later ninja raindrops all on you.
Finally escaped the nijas, now you didnn't they are also in the snooow.
Look down turn, baybe, old man, sheath yours wwords
burn the floooooooooor.
Shouldn't he avoid water?
From the producuer of the lord of baby backbpacs,
take em to a fair, someone's grampas's stuck up there
Hot chick, fade , night, look at him , reciprocate,
Topwnfolk wonder why does his air look so great?
One worrior, fondling his knapsack (dramatic gaze!) sowrdfighting hot chick, you should really ask her out.
Caught between tow world,s
Spend all day in the gardaen,
You're girlfiends getting jealuous,
The audience is trampled,
Ninjas do the wayve-ah
Angry looking Asian,
Old man rwith a rilfle,
Paratrooper ninjas,
landing on the rooftops.
Darknesss.
Townsflokd admire the raidedn cosplaying roof ninjas.
Jjump of f ath the same time (wswing the staff)
This december shoulder mouted gatling gun
Kissing girls make spinny stars
To protect a target
Winterninjas
Stab a droplent
Block swing
A her o will sstand thaen run thend stabt he ground
shotguns don't thurt nijas
Scream, horse, load , snipe
Blow up the fair
Fair lady with a knife
Floor niiiiinjaaaaaas
Geaoffrry Rush looks down then the falls down
Kabete Bowssworth looks up then she jumps up
Danny Hustyon is ugly and the throws girls
Jang dong Gun was rpobably picked on thnow he's a badass...

Midair sword fight... Thje warrior's way
Here's hyour sheahth, they wish you had one earlier
Lot's of guys are coming, but none of them are tough as HIM.

Taht was ungomfortable. My fingers feel weird.
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:20 am UTC

That was (By the way, I wasn't sure if I was going to respond to this thread, but accidentaly clicked reply, and can't back down now) a brave attempt. now get out of my way , or I'll pis right through ya! (I'm sorry, I was going to make this post more interesting, but apparently I'm tired. I will try again tomorrow)
Good night all, and whoever immeditale y realizes where that quote is from gets a high P*High Five*P

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:19 am UTC

I used to try and type song lyrics as I listened to them to improve my touch-typing speed. Depending on the tempo of the song that can be fvery hard indeed. I can push my typing speed up to about 110 words per minute, but the error rate gets too high (around 5-10%) if I type that fast.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:16 pm UTC

Alright, I'll try Assacins Creed: Brotherhood next.

Stargate, Ubisoft, Sparkle.
A white matrix bpicks a date then faces.
And people say rome wasn't built in a dayyy-ah!
BLOOM TRANSITION
The birds get the hell out of there...
Because they knows osmehting's going down!
Is he gonna die? No, it's a meedium shot.
Pan, zoom, and slow-mo means he's the gartegt (OH MY GOD WHAT THE HELL DID I DO TO THAT WORD. TARGET.)
Mysterious hooded man watches (from a distance)
Take a second to look awesome, time go to.
Walk in slo motion, so you still wlook awesome,
Guard just say you and he's goonna shoot you
But don't mind hm mjust kpeep looking awesome that shadow will take care of him
WHITE
Guard says stop, jsut kill him with you're (your. what the fuck. your.) aewesome.
The other got hit by an arrow so you'e good.
Part the red sea. Hopefully those guards have good armor.
No they don't. maybe they do. They... don'gt!
Now act like you didn't do it.
They're not buying it.
Target comes out of his shelter.
He's distracted by a feather.
He's like "shoot me!"
He likes feathers.
He looks up when he remembers:
Oooh, I love birds!
Nod a t the bird and people die.
Everywhere people die.
Tareget doesn't die , he's fine.
Target soends horsement to die.
Kill hte horse the rider fals down
Kill the rider the rider falls donw.
Tareget's still fine.
Target knods then some other guards that were hiding in pillars COME OUT and the getage their formation
Then target pulls out his sword, then goes to smel l his sword (not sure why)
Mysterious hoodend man joined by
other
hooded
people
You're next.
Ruuuuuning.
RUUUUNNIING
Slow motion jump attack!
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

sourlemon

Postby sourlemon » Sun May 06, 2012 6:09 am UTC

Bringing this threa d to the front beause I'm bored and it's interesting. (Can I blame my mispelling because of my bad keyboard? I got laxus. I'm not used to the keyboard at all. )

Mike Rosoft

Postby Mike Rosoft » Sun May 06, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

Would using cursor arrows and the delete key constitute cheating?

Mike Rosoft

P.S.: No mistakes this time!

Sruixan

Postby Sruixan » Sun May 06, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

...and now I find myself stuck for a text I have sufficiently memorised to enable near-perfect recollection yet is a) complicated enough to pose a challenge & b) neither embarrassing nor obscure. Hmph. Actually, I'll tell you what my particular trouble here is; whilst my typing is genreally pretty perfect (except, I must note, for the occasional switching of letters... *coughs*), I don't seem to think my sentences through enough, to the effect that I found myself wanting to undo what I had just typed and start again with a subtly different phrasing (for instance, I'd much rather have said "slightly" instead of "subtly", but that's small fry in comaprison to say, deciding I don't want to call tihs example small fry b or saying I don't want to go to a "because" there but would rather add this part of the sentence instead). The overall consequence is a thoroughly confuzzled me who's awkwardly more aware of quite how appalling his ability to phrase an English sentence has become at the expense of his cramming of German these past few days... at least I can still type pretty damned well and pretty damned fast to boot (I should have put that last bit in parentheses but going back to correct it is uuuuuurgh) no wait I didn't want to end that there waht are you doing brain I wanna build a longer clause than that aaaaaargh...
This is, er, no offense but you are a robot, aren't you?
That's just, um, beautiful, beautiful beautiful... just beautiful.
One hot summer's night Lorraine said: "It's time for you to see the lighthouse"
Dr. Ivanovich, was it really necessary?

Kyreles

Postby Kyreles » Sun May 06, 2012 9:10 pm UTC

You want to become a perfect typist? I don't mean perfect at spelling, just perfect at hitting exactly the key you ment to? Play ADOM. Or any Roguelike for that matter. They don't dick around. One wrong keypress and you're dead. They don't have the fancy interfaces of modern games. They are unrelentingly brutal. They are the nuns of the computer age, waiting for you to make a mistaek to they can hit you on the back of the kunckles with a ruler. Roguelikes are games for *real*men. I see now that I've misspelled a few works and missed a space back there. If I were playing ADOM I'd be dead now...
In compliance with rule §05.02 this signature may be construed as a promotion of Nomic 16.0

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:25 pm UTC

It does annoy me when I make typing errors, but usually I'm kareful (whoops) enough not to make them. Well, that was ironic. I was going to say, before that slip-up, that I usually only use backspace if aI deicide to change the wording of the sentence. However, deprived of that ability, I realise I do occasionally make geenuine spelling mistakes. Wow, I never realied how important backspace was. (That was meant to be realised...)
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

Bartimaeus

Postby Bartimaeus » Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:28 pm UTC

I think you are really secily and I wnt to fuc k you
oops
I meant
erm
I think you are really nice and ssdf-schtuff. yep.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Postby eculc » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:06 am UTC

Necro'd? what for? I can't think of any reason to necro thisd thread.

wait...damnit
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:15 am UTC

I don' think I've ever seen comparison typo'ed as comp... no, not that... typo'ed as comaprison before. It's a nice, poetic word - trapped in a coma, unable to escape. Kind of depressing though.

Deliberately repeating a typo is really difficult if you're trying to type at speed, because you naturally just type words correctly (if you know them). Comaprison. Managed that time.

matt96

Postby matt96 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:02 am UTC

For some reason I feek like I'ne seen a similar thread to thes one vefore.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:06 am UTC

Maybe it was this one - it was only revived reently. (Dammit! I was doing so well!)

Let's see if I can do thw ...

You know what? Forget it.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord

Lawsome

Postby Lawsome » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:46 am UTC

This eems easy enough. I meant seems =...

is it a rule we have to type super fast as well, cause i'm doin ght (doi ng thjat ) agghh...

Ok, it is a rule that we have to type super fast also, because i am doing that also.

dodddamint that was very badly phrased, i'm not good at this, i should probably stow down.

no,! slowing down ruind the fun, fast fast!

god not only am i bad at this but my grammer is all over the place, this is what i get, oh well.
Spoiler:
Quizatzhaderac wrote:
Rosewinsall wrote:DOWN WITH CERTAINTY!

Are you certain of that?

Moose Anus wrote:I let my wife think I'm watching porn in the bathroom late at night, but I'm really playing Dwarf Fortress instead.

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:11 pm UTC

I generally try to type prestty fast in this thread, because if I type slowly aned carefully my error rate drops to very near szero. As you can tell, I was going pretty quick for this post.

Pjotr

Postby Pjotr » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:58 pm UTC

I don't even know if i can do this. I mean, usdually i type backsapces re almost reflexively. but it looks like this came out more interestinfg then I thought it would. Aslo I just now noticed that i really can't typwe without looking at the keyboard, and it's gunny tu see that i sometimews justy know i made anseroor, but some dit simply slip by me.

(Good god this looks awful).
Every finger is touching and searching / Until your secrets come out,
In the dance, as it endlessly circles / I linger close to your mouth.
--
This sentence is as succinct as possible.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:08 pm UTC

Having just typred "fire-fighting" instead of "clean-up" I think now is a good time to make my bedut in this thread. Hello, world!

Speaking of Hellow World, : Lorenz: You get used to the spaces vs. tabs thing. I still strike tabs, but my editor converts it to spaces like a good fellow. I no longer miss brances (braces) but occasionally the having-to-put-a-\-on-at-the-end-of-a-line-to-make-t-it-wrap -w-around-LFCR thing bothers me.That's probably asn an in issue with my editor. vim. or my use of it.

Readign the above, I have renewed respect for voice-to-keyboard. I never realised my fingers used the backspace so consistently. The voice-to-keyboard problem (or voice-to-text, as I would not e (now) edit the previous instances to) takes the breakless pause of information and transcirbes it immediately. Turns out fingers don't do so well when faces(d) with the same no-turning-back constraint. When measured against stupid-no-backspace, voice-to-text doesn't do half bad!

Edit (no backspaces were pressed in the production of this edit): "breakless pause"? Breakless flow. (If I have to keep the "breakless".)

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:53 pm UTC

OK, what can I try to type without mistakes? Something I know off by heart? I'll try Christopher Eccleston's Doctor Who episodes:

Rose, The End of the World, The Unquiet Dead, Aliens of London, World Watr Three, Dalek, The Long Game, Father's Day, The Empty Child, The Doctor Dances, Boom Town, BAd Wolf, The Parting of the Was

Three mistakes! Not bad.
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord

Lorenz

Postby Lorenz » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:16 pm UTC

You speak of me, jobriath, but I know not what you are talking about.

jobriath

Postby jobriath » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:20 pm UTC

Lorenz wrote:On a second note, I am currently learning python, and may I say TAB please!!! I am used to programming in c and always use tab to indent the code... whover designe D python is simply evil.... and why no braquets (the squigly lines(I prmise(WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY TYPING TODAY) to think before I wrt-write now, scratch that "lines") ones).

I knew I should have quioted but the quote-trimming for bre vity felt too much like backspacing. Done anyway.

Having rered what I wrote I see that it wasn't that understandable even given the context of the quote. I meant that yeah, tabs and spaces, best thing to do is get your editor to worry about it. However, having to wrap a line using a backspace never gets comfortable. (Example:

result = map(lambda x: x**2, \
randge(24))

(dumb example, and range is a synonym of range is a synonym of randge, defined earlier in the file).)

Yeah, that us (up) there is bloody awful. vim doesn't do line wrapping very nicely oppp---maybe I should take my own advice and figure out how to make the editor make the problem go away.

Edit to add: That's what it feels like! Writing without backspace feels like being very stoned, for me. I don't do it these days because it always felt like when I spoke I was throwing my words into a pit, and when I made a mistake or lost the thread I'd have to backdtrack and correct myself, which could entail more mistakes. So: yeah. Stoned typing is like wait what was I going to write here oh well here comes the full stop.

Return to “Forum Games”