A simple Nomic

For all your silly time-killing forum games.

Moderators: jestingrabbit, Moderators General, Prelates

Aldarion

A simple Nomic

Postby Aldarion » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

Hi all!
I saw the nomic wiki, but it's a bit complicated, isn't it, with the votes, propositions and all. I offer you a simpler form of nomic (which may turn quite complicated, if you wish), played right here, in this thread:

Current Ruleset:

Rule 1 The Official Domain consists of ordered pairs of integers between zero and fifteen (inclusive); the Official Range consists of the hexadecimal integers between 000000 and FFFFFF; the Official Mapping consists of a mapping from the Official Domain to the Official Range. Initially, the Official Mapping maps each element of the Official Domain into FFFFFF. The Official Tableau is a 2-dimensional visual representation of the Official Mapping, where the colors of the cells represent the mapped Range members in the RGB notation.

Rule 2 Any person (or other apparently sentient entity, including the scribe) in the universe may take part in this game by sending a Valid Move to the Scribe.

Rule 3 A Valid Move consists of a private message to the Scribe, clearly marked as a move, and containing either a Rule Change Suggestion, or a Mapping Modification Suggestion.

Rule 4 A Rule Change Suggestion consists of the string "I suggest the following change(s) to the Rules" (or reasonable equivalent), followed by a clear and explicit description of one or more changes to one or more existing Rules, the deletion of one or more existing Rules, or the creation of one or more new Rules.

Rule 5 A Mapping Modification Suggestion consists of the string "I suggest the following modification to the Mapping" (or reasonable equivalent), followed by a description clearly and unambiguously picking out a single member of the Official Domain, and specifying a new member of the Official Range to which that member of the Official Domain should be mapped.

Rule 6 Once a day, or whenever he or she feels like it, the Scribe shall select one of the Valid Moves that have been sent and not yet applied, and apply it. The Scribe chooses the rule(/s) which he/she feels are the most fun. Applying a Valid Move containing a Rule Change Suggestion consists of changing the rules as specified in the Suggestion. Applying a Valid Move containing a Mapping Modification Suggestion consists of changing the Mapping as specified in the Suggestion.

Rule 7 Not very long after Applying a Valid Move, the Scribe shall make available on this thread a copy of the Move, and the current state of the Rules and Official Tableau.

Rule 8 The Scribe is Aldarion.

Rule 9 Whenever a new Rule is created, it shall be assigned the smallest integer that is not currently assigned to any Rule, unless it is created as the result of a Rule Change Suggestion that explicitly specifies a different number, in which case it shall be assigned the number specified in the Suggestion.

Rule 10 Whenever the value of the official mapping for the pair (13,13) is changed, the Scribe will reveal two Rule change suggestions or three Mapping modification suggestions made by other players of his choice in this forum.

Current Tableau:

PS: The initial ruleset was invented by David M. Chess.
Last edited by Aldarion on Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:31 pm UTC, edited 6 times in total.
I'm not good, I'm not nice, I'm just right.

jinzougen

Postby jinzougen » Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:59 pm UTC

Clarification on rule 6 requested: Does the scribe select randomly or does s/he get to choose what to apply?
Once bread becomes toast, it can never be bread again.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:04 am UTC

The Scribe chooses the rule(/s) which he/she feels are the most fun.
The choice isn't random.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:09 am UTC

Rule 10 was added, suggested by V.

Here is the text of the rule:

Whenever the value of the official mapping for the pair (13,13) is changed, the Scribe will reveal two Rule change suggestions or three Mapping modification suggestions made by other players of his choice in this forum.

WhiteKoopa

Postby WhiteKoopa » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:39 am UTC

Maybe I failed to read the rules correctly, or maybe I did read correctly and I'm supposed to invent a goal but.... how does anybody win?

jinzougen

Postby jinzougen » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:47 am UTC

If you have any good ideas on how one should win, think of a winning condition and submit it as a rule change proposal. Nomic is a game where everything about the game is in the hands of the players.
Once bread becomes toast, it can never be bread again.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:47 pm UTC

Since my last update I only got a single suggestion, also from V, which I've implemented:
The mapping of (1,1) on the Tableau has changed to 1.

Come on, guys, try making more suggestions!

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:29 pm UTC

This needs to be changed:

Rule 6 Once a day, or whenever he or she feels like it, the Scribe shall select one of the Valid Moves that have been sent and not yet applied, and apply it. The Scribe chooses the rule(/s) which he/she feels are the most fun. Applying a Valid Move containing a Rule Change Suggestion consists of changing the rules as specified in the Suggestion. Applying a Valid Move containing a Mapping Modification Suggestion consists of changing the Mapping as specified in the Suggestion.

I don't particularly want to play Monarchy Nomic.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:37 pm UTC

That's pretty much the point of this particular game: no bothering with votes, polls, propositions, etc.
If you want to play a proper democratic Nomic, try the nomic wiki of the forum (sorry, I don't remember the URL).

peri_renna

Postby peri_renna » Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

Are you talking about the one at nomic.net - http://www.nomic.net/~nomicwiki/? I think that's the best known one.

Edit: Oh, you were talking about XKCD Nomic, I guess. I thought you were talking about an index of Nomics.
I try to avoid criticizing people when they are right. If they genuinely deserve criticism, I will not need to wait long for an occasion where they are wrong.
- Eliezer Yudkowsky, "Einstein's Arrogance"

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

Rule 6 Once a day, or whenever he or she feels like it, the Scribe shall provide the list of all Valid Moves that have been sent and not yet applied, including a count of how many different people have submitted a particular Valid Move. The Scribe then applies any one single Valid Move that has been submitted no fewer than half as many times as the most submitted Valid Move not yet applied. Applying a Valid Move containing a Mapping Modification Suggestion consists of changing the Mapping as specified in the Suggestion. Applying a Valid Move containing a Rule Change Suggestion consists of changing the rules as specified in the Suggestion.

Thoughts?

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:55 pm UTC

If I understand you correctly, you mean that there exist some moves, which have been submitted by several players. How can that be?

Yakk

Postby Yakk » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:17 pm UTC

You'll note you publish the list of moves.

So, someone can copy/paste a move and submit it, thus resulting in a move submitted by 2 people. :)

In effect, it is an attempt of creating a constitutional monarchy -- the monarch picks which laws to implement, but the monarch is restricted in that she can only pick bills with sufficient support (at least half of the most supported bill). Note that the monarch can also choose to not sign any bills into law if she doesn't like the most submitted one.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:44 pm UTC

Yakk has suggested the following correction to the rules:

Rule 6 Once a day, or whenever he or she feels like it, the Scribe shall provide the list of all Valid Moves that have been sent and not yet applied, including a count of how many different people have submitted a particular Valid Move. The Scribe then applies any one single Valid Move that has been submitted no fewer than half as many times as the most submitted Valid Move not yet applied. Applying a Valid Move containing a Mapping Modification Suggestion consists of changing the Mapping as specified in the Suggestion. Applying a Valid Move containing a Rule Change Suggestion consists of changing the rules as specified in the Suggestion.

The rule has been implemented.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:50 pm UTC

Following Rule 6, I present the Valid Moves made until now:

The mapping of the row numbered seven shall default to and remain as value 1. (1 people)

I suggest a change to rule 1 so that the official range includes any RGB Color. (1 people)

I'm only worried that it would complicate the game a bit: I'm risking being flooded by messages containing just duplicates of already-made moves...
Ah well, your game - your rules. We, the monarchs, are just the servants of the people, you know.

Bondolon

Postby Bondolon » Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:58 pm UTC

Aldarion wrote:Yakk has suggested the following correction to the rules:

The rule has been implemented.

I didn't think his move was valid, as he just posted it instead of sending it in.

edit: In fact, he specifically made an invalid move. I suggest that it be rescinded and one of the valid moves be applied in its place. Also, it wasn't of the correct form. This rule cannot stand, or else we're playing a broken game of nomic.

Aldarion

Postby Aldarion » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

You know what, Bondolon, you seem to be quite right.

Move revoked.

Rule 6 is restored to its previous form.

An amendment to Rule 1 was suggested by T3m3r1ty, and has beed implemented by me. Rule 1 now reads as follows:

Rule 1 The Official Domain consists of ordered pairs of integers between zero and fifteen (inclusive); the Official Range consists of the hexadecimal integers between 000000 and FFFFFF; the Official Mapping consists of a mapping from the Official Domain to the Official Range. Initially, the Official Mapping maps each element of the Official Domain into FFFFFF. The Official Tableau is a 2-dimensional visual representation of the Official Mapping, where the colors of the cells represent the mapped Range members in the RGB notation.

Return to “Forum Games”