Official Thread of Mourning

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Lokito

Official Thread of Mourning

Postby Lokito » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:42 am UTC

I'd like to dedicate this thread to all those poor soulds (myself included) who find themselves unable to get to the Boston meetup, or are simply too scared by the possibility of a raptor attack. It's especially bad for me, because I live in Boston, but go to school in another state.

So everybody gather round the campfire, sing some songs, get drunk, do a little dance, get down tonight.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:43 pm UTC

Hey, I live 17 minutes (according to Google) away. So I clearly am doing the most mourning here. That said, I will express my feelings about the meetup and my lack of being-able-to-goness here and never mention them again:

WHAT THE FUCK!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHNGEERBLEGEERBLEGRAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!! WHY!? WHY!? WHY!?

Thank you. That will be all.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:10 pm UTC

you STILL havent come up with a plan to get out of the house that day? for seriously dude, just be all "i'm going out to meet some friends. bye." and leave O_o

to miss such an epic, yes EPIC, event b/c you cant tell a half-truth to your parents would be TRAGIC.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

apocralypse wrote:"i'm going out to meet some friends. bye."

"Which friends?"
"Just... friends."
"I need to know their names."
"Look, I'm leaving, okay? Bye."
"You're not leaving until I know who you're meeting and call their mom."

Sometimes I hate being thirteen.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:25 pm UTC

So arrange to meet up with some friends. Bring them with you!

"Which friends?"
"Oh, Bobby, Andy, and Larry from school."
"Oh? Let me call their moms."
"Okay, here are their numbers."
"What are you going to do?"
"Probably go to a park, play some frisbee, maybe fly a kite."
"That sounds like fun. Be back by 7."

And you're in.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

MythGuyDK

Postby MythGuyDK » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:37 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:Sometimes I hate being thirteen.

I suddenly feel old... on another forum I'm one of the youngest...

Anyway.... I live down in North-West Missouri and definitely can't go due to my parents being very big about not meeting people from the internet.

I am filled with sadness. :cry:
Exactly!

crazyjimbo

Postby crazyjimbo » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

My parents won't let me go either. :(

In that they won't give me the 500-odd quid for a plane ticket. How unreasonable! Gah.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:49 pm UTC

Look, don't you have a bicycle? A CharlieTicket? Some other way to make that 17-minute trip? Forget about your parents. Just come.

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:59 pm UTC

crazyjimbo wrote:My parents won't let me go either. :(

In that they won't give me the 500-odd quid for a plane ticket. How unreasonable! Gah.

Your problem is that you got on the plane that took you back across the Atlantic. Here's what you should have done:

1) "Nope, sorry Mum. No plane today, I'll call you in a couple months."
2) Walk to my house.
3) We hang out for a few weeks.
4) Go to the meetup.
5) "Hullo, Mum! It's me. Send me a plane ticket?"
6) "Ickle Jimmykins! Come home to me!"
7) Profit!

(I tried to UK-ize the steps. How'd I do?)

MythGuyDK

Postby MythGuyDK » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:10 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
crazyjimbo wrote:My parents won't let me go either. :(

Your problem is that you got on the plane that took you back across the Atlantic. Here's what you should have done:

1) "Nope, sorry Mum. No plane today, I'll call you in a couple months."
2) Walk to my house.
3) We hang out for a few weeks.
4) Go to the meetup.
5) "Hullo, Mum! It's me. Send me a plane ticket?"
6) "Ickle Jimmykins! Come home to me!"
7) Profit!

(I tried to UK-ize the steps. How'd I do?)

xkcd forumer = manipulative bastards

Who wants to do something like this with me....?
Exactly!

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

Oh, Crap! I have to send someone the poster of me for the meetup!

Who should I send it to (probably too late to send it to the guy I promised to send it to anyways...)?

EDIT: Nevermind. I saw how I looked in a full-body picture. I don't want that sent anywhere near MIT.
Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:11 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:"You're not leaving until I know who you're meeting and call their mom."
You know, you could just see if Hammer is willing to be called, or find someone whose mother is willing to play along.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Gadren

Postby Gadren » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:14 pm UTC

Sadly, I am poor... and over a thousand miles away.

And I don't think enough people here at the U of U are xkcd'ers to justify some kind of road trip. :(

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:08 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:"You're not leaving until I know who you're meeting and call their mom."

Man, I guess if it is really that close, some kidnapping party can be organized. Imagine several cars stopping on your front lawn and a dozen of raptors (did I said it out loud? shit...) ... uhm, people in masks armed with kites and tape measures caming out and talking to your mom politely about letting you go with them.

That would be awesome.
From Russia with math.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:06 am UTC

Fuck bbctol, go, there must be heaps of ways to get out, like getting them to ring someone that's is going to the meet-up. Getting an adult female to pick you up, ha?
=]

Hammer
Because all of you look like nails.

Postby Hammer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:52 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
You know, you could just see if Hammer is willing to be called, or find someone whose mother is willing to play along.

What the...? When did I get elected Den Mother of the Fora?
"What's wrong with you mathematicians? Cake is never a problem."

German Sausage
3 of 5

Postby German Sausage » Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:51 pm UTC

by being the closest thing we have to a legitimate grown-up?
<bakemaster> Only German Sausage can prevent forest fires
<felstaff> Hype is like a giant disappointment ray aimed squarely at the finished article.
<watson> Treat me like a criminal, Holmes!
TMT4L

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:03 pm UTC

German Sausage wrote:by being the closest thing we have to a legitimate grown-up?

*realizes she is sitting in bed in her jammies watching a bad movie and eating a candy bar for breakfast*
*bursts out laughing*

MythGuyDK

Postby MythGuyDK » Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:54 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:
German Sausage wrote:by being the closest thing we have to a legitimate grown-up?

*realizes she is sitting in bed in her jammies watching a bad movie and eating a candy bar for breakfast*
*bursts out laughing*

"It was then that MythGuy realized that the most normal people on XKCD were, in fact, not normal at but imposters! He then feals content for no reason other than.... something... cool."
Exactly!

scowdich
The Hedgehog

Postby scowdich » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:00 pm UTC

Well, I'm having my own meetup in Illinois! It'll be awesome! And none of you people that can come to Massachusetts can come, 'cause I'm having it at the exact same time!

...I'm lonely.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:51 am UTC

Hammer wrote:

*bursts out laughing*

That just makes you one of those legendary Cool Grownups.

And to think for all these years we thought they were mythical beasts, found only in childrens' books.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:51 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:And to think for all these years we thought they were mythical beasts, found only in childrens' books.

Like girl mathematicians!
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:37 am UTC

Hell, I'll pretend to be one of your friend's father if it will get you to the meet up. All I ask is that you send me your number in advance, so I make sure to answer your call...

Bakemaster wrote:
Hammer wrote:

*bursts out laughing*

That just makes you one of those legendary Cool Grownups.

And to think for all these years we thought they were mythical beasts, found only in childrens' books.

One of my secondary goals in life is to become a Cool Grownup. I kinda think it should be required in order to prove your non-raptorness.

indiemaiden

Postby indiemaiden » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:48 pm UTC

I go to school in Boston every year except this one, when I'll be over 3000 miles away in Dublin.

CRAP AND A HALF.
(Actually, to tell the truth, I don't like jelly with my peanut butter.)

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:46 pm UTC

I have a course between September 10th and September 22nd, which makes it utterly impossible to go on any intercontinental journeys on the next day (let alone be there on the next day). I'd give it a serious thought otherwise. :(
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

xyzzy
Meta-Titled

Postby xyzzy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

Alpha Omicron wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:And to think for all these years we thought they were mythical beasts, found only in childrens' books.

Like girl mathematicians!

Oh come on, everyone knows they don't exist.

If a girl mathematician reads this, prove me wrong please.
"Wile E. Coyote was a theoretical mathematician." - Leliel
"Modern life can be so boring without elements of the bizarre or the fantastical. Hence, we have steampunk." - Me

bbctol

Postby bbctol » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

xyzzy, largified wrote:If a girl mathematician reads this, prove me wrong please.

Mathematically?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:49 pm UTC

Hammer wrote:What the...? When did I get elected Den Mother of the Fora?
I was assuming that your voice would sound like a middle-aged woman's with the least amount of effort. As with all stereotypes, it's about visibility, not accuracy.

You know, I almost got my first mortgage before I turned 19. That count as legitimate and/or grown up?
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Jazzerus

Driving from Madison, CT

Postby Jazzerus » Fri Sep 07, 2007 3:06 am UTC

<secondpost crosspost="true" origsrc="http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=3469">

I saw this comic one day while I was browsing teh intarwebz and I decided to add the date to my calendar. I assumed this to be the date of some kind of meetup, but didn't really know anything else. So with that date rapidly approaching, I've decided to look up more information about it, which led me here.

I was planning to go there anyway, not know what to expect, so it's good to now know that I won't be going alone. I'm coming from Madison, CT. See map of my trip here. If you live along (or within 5 miles of) that route and need a ride (and can help with gas), or can suggest a better route, please let me know! Best bet would be to use the contact info in my profile, as I may not be checking the forums very often until a few days before the event.

A little info about me: I'm 23. I'm living in Madison, CT with my parents (until Jan. 2008). I consider myself a furry, but only because I can't find a better word. I'm not a huge fan of XKCD and only rarely browse through the comics. I might be attending with my girlfriend, who, if she does come, will be there only because I'm there. She'd be coming from Long Island, but its highly doubtful that she's be able to offer anyone a ride.

</secondpost>

jtniehof

Postby jtniehof » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:49 am UTC

My reservations for Baxter are that weekend; not really the sort of thing that moves easily. Drat.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Re: Driving from Madison, CT

Postby parkaboy » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:01 pm UTC

Jazzerus wrote:<secondpost crosspost="true" origsrc="http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=3469">

I saw this comic one day while I was browsing teh intarwebz and I decided to add the date to my calendar. I assumed this to be the date of some kind of meetup, but didn't really know anything else. So with that date rapidly approaching, I've decided to look up more information about it, which led me here.

I was planning to go there anyway, not know what to expect, so it's good to now know that I won't be going alone. I'm coming from Madison, CT. See map of my trip here. If you live along (or within 5 miles of) that route and need a ride (and can help with gas), or can suggest a better route, please let me know! Best bet would be to use the contact info in my profile, as I may not be checking the forums very often until a few days before the event.

A little info about me: I'm 23. I'm living in Madison, CT with my parents (until Jan. 2008). I consider myself a furry, but only because I can't find a better word. I'm not a huge fan of XKCD and only rarely browse through the comics. I might be attending with my girlfriend, who, if she does come, will be there only because I'm there. She'd be coming from Long Island, but its highly doubtful that she's be able to offer anyone a ride.

</secondpost>

Psssst this is the "ah shit i CANT go thread"

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Hammer

Postby Hammer » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
You know, I almost got my first mortgage before I turned 19. That count as legitimate and/or grown up?

I'm not sure that a brush with debt is actually a qualification for either.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:06 pm UTC

Indeed. If debt=adult, then I'm still eight or something. I avoid that shit like it was a nasty hemorrhaging virus.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

NinjaArcana

Postby NinjaArcana » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:13 pm UTC

Belial wrote:Indeed. If debt=adult, then I'm still eight or something. I avoid that shit like it was a nasty hemorrhaging virus.

Amen.

I can't attend this meetup, and I shall miss it like we missed WWMD's in Iraq.

Which means something, I'm not exactly sure. :?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

bbctol, why don't you just have some of the locals meet your parents? Perhaps Mr. xkcd himself even? (I bet he'd be willing to.)

Maybe it'll help your parents realize that even though you may be an awkward, geeky teenager you can still grow into someone awesome while embracing geekiness?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:12 pm UTC

We should totally go do some sort of quasi-intervention.

"Mr. and Mrs. Ctol? (tee hee! fhtagn!) We're here for your son."

Yeah, that would go down real well.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Phenriz
I'm daaancin' like a monkey!

Postby Phenriz » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

only if you wear frog masks
I loveded you piggy, i lovded youuuu!!!

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:28 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:We should totally go do some sort of quasi-intervention.

"Mr. and Mrs. Ctol? (tee hee! fhtagn!) We're here for your son."

Yeah, that would go down real well.
I just meant one or two of the more respectable seeming ones. Try to act all big brotherly-like.

Will
There are about a million things I can do from behind

Postby Will » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

I'd lament that I can't go because it's just too far away from me, but really, I'm just afraid of the raptors. I mean, come on, that many XKCD fans in one place? Raptors would be INSANE to miss the opportunity to take out so many of their sworn enemies...

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

Or insane to try. I expect to end the day basking in the warmth of exploded grape juice balloons and the blood of numerous reptilian attackers.

FUN ACTIVITY IDEA!

Host your own xkcd grape juice balloon fight on September 23rd!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”