The Museum...

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Kantank

The Museum...

Postby Kantank » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

of Science!

The Museum of Science in Boston is someplace I haven't been since I was a wee lad.

http://store.mos.org/?dt=1190520000 has some information regarding the date of September 23rd for those of you interested in seeing the place at that time. This includes Laser Beatles at 5:30pm and Laser Zeppelin (a favorite of The Venture Brother's Brock Sampson) at 7:30pm.

Regular (adult) admission runs at $17.00. Not bad at all for what you can find at this place. Here is a bit about what you will get with general admission:
The Museum of Science wrote:Ranging in topic from human biology to the latest high-tech inventions, more than 700 permanent, hands-on exhibits are enhanced by stage presentations and science interpreters offering one-on-one challenges. Additionaly, since the Museum hosts several traveling exhibits annually, our halls are never the same place twice.

Their regular site is currently down but I will be back later with more information. If we'd like to organize a group to go, either in the morning before the meet-up (It's a brief walk to the red line, the same line that goes towards the meeting point) or in the afternoon, we can arrange for a cheap group rate, thus lowering the already reasonable $17.

I will keep this thread updated with further information. Please feel free to post your own or to express interest in this trip. I am certainly going and my girlfriend works for the New England Aquarium, which grants her free admission so you can count on at least two people being there.

I prefer hitting this up early and then leaving at 1pm to get to the meeting point by the specified time so the afternoon can be spent flying kites or going out for exotic food or some other Boston adventure.

UPDATE!

Activities, shows, presentations and other events for September 23, 2007!

Lightning! (featuring giant Tesla-coil action)
Science Live! ("A rotating schedule of live scientific discovery" whatever that means)
Alternative Energy 2007: The Future of Biofuels ("MIT plasma technology head Daniel Cohn provides a peek into how super-hot gases can be used to make biofuels and cleaner, more fuel-efficient engines." Sweet.)
Planetarium Show - Into the Unknown
the Museum of Science wrote:Ever since we first looked up at the night sky, humans have been searching for truth about how the universe works. For centuries, scientists have postulated and refined theories that expanded our knowledge of stars, planets, gravity, and matter. This Planetarium show examines the current limits of scientists' understanding of the cosmos, reviewing the major features of what is known — and what is still uncertain — about the nature of the universe, its history, and its possible future.

Into the Unknown charts the course of scientific discovery and technology leading up to the Big Bang theory, and explains how observing light—its speed of travel, intensity, and shifts along the color spectrum—is essential to our understanding of the size, scope, and beginnings of the universe. The program also lays out the evidence scientists have gathered for and against the existence of extraterrestrial life, and explains how those who believe it is possible look for creatures living elsewhere in the universe. Finally, using actual photographs and compelling computer-generated graphics, Into the Unknown presents scientists' current thinking about mysterious phenomena such as a black hole or dark matter, and explores their potential to redefine our understanding of the universe.

There are more but those are what interest me.

There are also 3D movies "Bugs!", "The World of Sharks", and "3-D Sun".
Last edited by Kantank on Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:04 pm UTC

MOS FTW! I have a five person membership (it's actually cheaper if you have that many people) so I would have some extra if we all did this

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:05 pm UTC

It is a straight-up awesome museum. MIT also has a museum in the area- check it out.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

Also Harvard museums.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:34 pm UTC

One thing you will not be able to do at the Museum of Science is see an IMAX movie. The theatre is closing for renovations after this weekend, and won't reopen until late November.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:53 am UTC

That's okay, there's always giant tesla coil and planetarium shows.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Sep 03, 2007 8:33 am UTC

BB!! this is your ticket out of the house.

just tell yer mom you're going to the SCIENCE MUSEUM! and you are. its educational. surely she cant argue with that.

and if you come up with another excuse then good riddance. i'm done trying to help you.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:26 pm UTC

apocralypse wrote:BB!! this is your ticket out of the house.

just tell yer mom you're going to the SCIENCE MUSEUM! and you are. its educational. surely she cant argue with that.

and if you come up with another excuse then good riddance. i'm done trying to help you.

This idea is brilliance!

Oh and don't worry. If you want an IMAX experience just hop the train to the aquarium.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Everyone should see the indoor lightning demonstration at least once in your life.

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Davis Square Rocks wrote:Everyone should see the indoor lightning demonstration at least once in your life.

I haven't seen it since I was barely into double-digits and I still have dreams about it from time to time. It's when I first learned about Nikolai Tesla.

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:37 am UTC

BAM! BAM! BAM BAM BAM!!!
They do lots of cool stuff in with the Van der Graff generator. It's an awesome room.
Don't forget the "Mathematica" room. It is sooo sick.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:33 am UTC

I desperately need to be at that Laser Zeppelin show. Anyone else in?
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:00 pm UTC

GROUP RATE! Also, there's the Boston Museum of Fine Arts for the more art-inspired crowd here.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:53 am UTC

Just checked out the website, and I'm pretty sure I have to go to this museum, but my flight doesn't arrive until 10 am on the 23rd. Anyone want to go in the afternoon/evening with me? (Preferably someone who would be okay with standing very still with me in the Butterfly Garden until a butterfly lands on us). Or Monday, I could go Monday too.

puppy528

Postby puppy528 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:00 am UTC

Well, I'm going to try my best to see the ocean, since it'd be a shame to get so very close to it, and still never look at one, but, other than that, I'm game for coming along with you, anywhere!
That is, unless the girl I'm picking up from another state, to come with me, has other plans.. Being that this is also going to be our "first date", she outranks you. :wink:

richlayers

Postby richlayers » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

Ooooh! I haven't seen the giant tesla coils since... 3rd grade? It would be well worth $17!

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

excellent. bring your avatar. i'd like to eat it. thank you.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:58 pm UTC

Alright then. The current plan between Sarah (the gf) and I is to be at the museum at 10-10:30am Sunday morning (the day of the meet-up) and to stay for at least a couple hours. I will be wearing a brown Penny-Arcade t-shirt (this one):Image

If you see me, by all means approach me and we can chat it up and wander the museum together. The more the merrier. Otherwise it'll just be me and the girl which is fine too.

Damn is this exciting!

(P.S. you can contact me through Facebook or just use it to see what Sarah and I look like.)

vvvv
edit: added specific day since some people are going to be out and about the whole weekend.
Last edited by Kantank on Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:18 pm UTC

10-10:30 am on which day? Saturday? That's when I'll be at the museum... see: http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?p=294898#294898

I'll be there a bit before 12:00, probably wandering the computer-ish exhibit in the room next to the Van de Graaff. I will be wearing a light blue t-shirt with something to do with Hartwick College Swimming/Diving on the front and STAFF on the back (I did not attend this college, I only worked there for a summer... silly sports camps!).
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”