Music!

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

ravnos

Music!

Postby ravnos » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:56 pm UTC

Hello everyone. I'm one of the guys in the "band" that was playing music through out the meetup, and when we played the song we wrote (inspired by various strips) people more or less demanded that we record it and put it out here for everyone. So, we will, as soon as we can (so like in a month-ish).
Also I wanted to say it was a helluva fun time, it was cool meeting people and what not. Neither I nor my two friends I was there with ever come on the forums, so we didn't realize how many people were actually going to come, it was ridiculous I have to say. We had fun, and I'm sure you all did too.
And hey, maybe someone found his/her dream girl/boy.
Anyway I'll maybe become active on here, so I can get to know some of the people I met today :). It was great meeting all of you, and maybe if we're lucky this may become an annual thing...
Thanks for the memories, and the compliments on the music, glad we could add something to the day!
~Ian
http://www.aberrospecus.com

Member of [citation needed]: the XKCD meet-up band

"Normal people learn in order to survive. Geeks survive in order to have time to learn." - http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1727

ICDB

Postby ICDB » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:51 am UTC

The band was sick, especially
1. Hotel California, and
2. The guy playing the strings-on-a-board thing with a bow
Great job, can't wait to hear the song!

GammaShade

Postby GammaShade » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Aw, no way, you guys were playing "Hotel California"? I should have called that one out ad infinitum instead of "Free Bird". Regardless, you guys rocked.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:48 am UTC

The Psaltery was so, SO badass. Thanks so much for letting me try it, Psaltery-man!
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:48 am UTC

I think Stayin Alive is the official XKCD Fora strut music.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:50 am UTC

I'm really, really hoping that someone got a movie of that herd of xkcders struttin' across the parking lot.

You were pretty much my hero today, Okita.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

GammaShade

Postby GammaShade » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:51 am UTC

Even if the video does not exist, we will strut in our hearts until the end of time.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:52 am UTC

Parking lot?

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:55 am UTC

Ren wrote:I'm really, really hoping that someone got a movie of that herd of xkcders struttin' across the parking lot.

I know there were pictures at least....

Although I think I will take that random person's advice and "Don't do drugs".
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:47 am UTC

Ren wrote:I'm really, really hoping that someone got a movie of that herd of xkcders struttin' across the parking lot.

I did not get video of the parking lot, but I do have some video of the train dance party on my phone. I will upload it sometime in the future... after a good night's sleep.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:49 am UTC

I saw a couple people filming us while we were playing... anyone get video/more specifically audio of us? I'd love to see/hear it.
~Ian

"Normal people learn in order to survive. Geeks survive in order to have time to learn." - http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1727

bschory

Postby bschory » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:39 am UTC

As another member of the band, I second Ian's last post. Anyone with pictures or videos of us playing, it would be awesome if you could pass it along.

I'm just taking a break from twerking the sound equipment and planning the recording of some stuff, including the song we put together for the meet-up.

Look for Ian or I to post more info in the near future.

Ciao,

- Brandon

T

Postby T » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:41 am UTC

I took plenty of pictures earlier; I was the moron circling the group, getting in the musicians' way. If any of the pictures turn out to be decent I'll upload them.
A journey of 3,500 miles begins with a single comic.

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:42 am UTC

T wrote:I took plenty of pictures earlier; I was the moron circling the group, getting in the musicians' way. If any of the pictures turn out to be decent I'll upload them.

Heh heh even if they aren't feel free to. :)
~Ian

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:30 am UTC

I was the tall guy with the long hair and the strapless guitar. Thanks you guys for letting me sit in and teaching me those songs. It was awesome playing with you. I also second calls for any documentation.

davidad
Psaltery-man is playing the Psaltery

Postby davidad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:41 pm UTC

I was the guy with the psaltery, or strings-on-a-board. It was a lot of fun, thanks for not calling out my incompetence on that particular instrument.

DRH

Postby DRH » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:07 pm UTC

Hi, I was the other guitar player. Figured I pretty much had to register for these forums now. I just want to say I had a great time and basically echo what Ian said.

Dave

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:I was the tall guy with the long hair and the strapless guitar. Thanks you guys for letting me sit in and teaching me those songs. It was awesome playing with you. I also second calls for any documentation.

Hey man, not a problem, it was nice having other musicians there to jam with. Thanks for teaching us some stuff too.

davidad wrote:I was the guy with the psaltery, or strings-on-a-board. It was a lot of fun, thanks for not calling out my incompetence on that particular instrument.

Hey man not at all, you were badass. I was impressed at any rate.
~Ian

bschory

Postby bschory » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:I was the tall guy with the long hair and the strapless guitar. Thanks you guys for letting me sit in and teaching me those songs. It was awesome playing with you.

It was most definitely awesome playing with you. You had lots of great suggestions for songs. Reminded me of a lot of songs I need to go back and look in to!

davidad wrote:I was the guy with the psaltery, or strings-on-a-board. It was a lot of fun, thanks for not calling out my incompetence on that particular instrument.

Nonsense! What you were playing while we were jamming was really cool. I thought it sounded quite impressive myself. Very cool instrument, and awesome getting to play with you.

I'm thinking, if everyone is up for it and from the general Boston area, maybe a/some XKCD meet-up jam session reunion(s), some afternoon in a park or the like. Thoughts?

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:28 pm UTC

Nah, I don't think anyone had ever seen, let alone heard OF one of those before.

And you apparently attracted the dancing girl, as well. :D

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:

Nah, I don't think anyone had ever seen, let alone heard OF one of those before.

And you apparently attracted the dancing girl, as well. :D

yeah I noticed we had a dancing girl around us for a while. Very cool. She was cute too.
~Ian

sonofspear

Postby sonofspear » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 pm UTC

I have to say, the band was one of my favorite parts of the day. Every once in a while I'd wander back, and you'd be playing some awesome song. I especially had to come back when I heard the distant strains of "Freebird" hitting its stride.

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:29 pm UTC

sonofspear wrote:I have to say, the band was one of my favorite parts of the day. Every once in a while I'd wander back, and you'd be playing some awesome song. I especially had to come back when I heard the distant strains of "Freebird" hitting its stride.

Heh heh thanks.
~Ian

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:10 pm UTC

bschory wrote: I'm thinking, if everyone is up for it and from the general Boston area, maybe a/some XKCD meet-up jam session reunion(s), some afternoon in a park or the like. Thoughts?

Absolutely. Anytime people want to meet and jam is more than cool with me. Actually I'm writing a tune right now about the whole thing and if it turns out to be any good I'll post it.

and davidad, what you added to all that just rocked so hard. And it was also way cool later when we had that second jam session later by the trebuchet.

So I wonder if it's a rule now that if Freebird is shouted six times it gets played through.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:39 am UTC

Barbie got some of us in a line being silly. I got Okita in the parking lot where we all spread out in a circle, but it's taking eight years to upload stuff right now.

Edit: raptordance!
Last edited by H.E.L.e.N. on Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

davidad
Psaltery-man is playing the Psaltery

Postby davidad » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:48 am UTC

bschory wrote:Nonsense! What you were playing while we were jamming was really cool. I thought it sounded quite impressive myself. Very cool instrument, and awesome getting to play with you.

Thanks!

bschory wrote:I'm thinking, if everyone is up for it and from the general Boston area, maybe a/some XKCD meet-up jam session reunion(s), some afternoon in a park or the like. Thoughts?

I'd come if I can make it.

Urbal T

Postby Urbal T » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:05 am UTC

I had shouted freebird once, when the "band" was just forming, as a joke. When it actually started playing later on, everyone around me blamed it on me.
Fnord is evaporated herbal tea without the herbs.

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:09 am UTC

Urbal T wrote:I had shouted freebird once, when the "band" was just forming, as a joke. When it actually started playing later on, everyone around me blamed it on me.

Hey now, we were a real band... well three of us, the other two joined us after we got there lol.

AWESOME sig btw.

Fnord.
~Ian

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:25 am UTC

GammaShade wrote:Even if the video does not exist, we will strut in our hearts until the end of time.

"Our disco shall blot out the sun!"
"Then we will STRUT IN THE SHADE!"

....Yeah, I hate me too.
You don't make them touch!

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:51 am UTC

Girlâ„¢ wrote:
GammaShade wrote:Even if the video does not exist, we will strut in our hearts until the end of time.

"Our disco shall blot out the sun!"

....Yeah, I hate me too.

And yet, I freaking love you.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:09 am UTC

Girlâ„¢ wrote:"Our disco shall blot out the sun!"

Holy win.

"Madness? THIS! IS! FUNKYTOWN!"

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:18 am UTC

Jocks: Raptors, lay down your boomboxes.
Okita: Jocks! Come and get them!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:51 am UTC

okita: "Raptors, what is your profession??"

raptors: "FUNK!!!"
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

bschory

Postby bschory » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:So I wonder if it's a rule now that if Freebird is shouted six times it gets played through.

I hope so. Personally I think if two or more people shout it it should be played just because no expect it to happen.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:54 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
Girlâ„¢ wrote:"Our disco shall blot out the sun!"

Holy win.

"Madness? THIS! IS! FUNKYTOWN!"

I sense a YouTube mashup in the making!
You don't make them touch!

ravnos

Re: Music!

Postby ravnos » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:27 pm UTC

As promised, we have (at least partially fulled the promise) of getting the page up with the info on the songs we played, as well as the lyrics to the song we wrote FOR the meetup. We will record it when we get a chance, having busy schedules as all.

[citation needed]
Also you can go to http://www.aberrospecus.com for my own commentary on the meetup, as well as Brandon's other post on the [citation needed] page.
~Ian

Sprocket
Seymour

Re:

Postby Sprocket » Tue Oct 16, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

GammaShade wrote:Aw, no way, you guys were playing "Hotel California"?

I remember finding that particularly odd.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

DragonHawk

Re: Re:

Postby DragonHawk » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:06 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:
GammaShade wrote:Aw, no way, you guys were playing "Hotel California"?

I remember finding that particularly odd.

But it's such a lovely place!
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:31 pm UTC

we needed a crowd pleaser to get attention =P And also, a song we all could play.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Oct 16, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Yeah, I know. and I suppose people liked it...I don't know. I just felt it was odd for the occasion.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”