XKCD Meetup Sept 2007 - "I was there" thread.

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Was Gordon the asshole you thought he would be?

Yes
12%
No
32%
Lock'd
56%

Total votes: 75

T

Postby T » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:53 am UTC

MissingDividends wrote:I also heard there was a reporter from a Boston newspaper. Any chance someone from the area could post a clipping/link to the paper's website when the article is printed?

According to the interviewer, when she buttonholed me, the article should be in Thursday's paper. http://www.bostonphoenix.com/
A journey of 3,500 miles begins with a single comic.

Cabhan

Postby Cabhan » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:53 am UTC

I was there! I was wearing the haiku shirt: "Haikus are easy / But sometimes they don't make sense / Refrigerator". And yes, I know that the plural of "Haiku" is "Haiku". I didn't design it :).

I rather loved this event. Even if it wasn't as big, I feel like any excuse to hang out with you guys would be worth it. This was probably the most fun I've had in some time.

@DragonHawk
I saw you! It was the "Semi-protect the Constitution" part that really caught my eye.

T

Postby T » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:54 am UTC

rhichi wrote:
T wrote:I was there. And I'm so glad I made the trip. As the afternoon progressed the comments altered subtly from "Where are you from? The UK?" to "Are you the guy from the UK?" So, I guess I was "the guy from the UK". Apparently one of my countrymen also made the trip, but I didn't manage to meet up with him.

Hey guy from the UK! I was the one with the boobs...*cough cough* shirt...that you photographed. The one that said Fd RNT/V sqrt (-1).

Ah, yes, the lass from WPI whose shirt I had difficulty photographing due to the chap you were with groping you. *cough cough*

rhichi

Postby rhichi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:55 am UTC

Not my fault...he was...ummm...trying to read the shirt...<_< >_> ^_^ V_V

amedico

Postby amedico » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:55 am UTC

Griffin wrote:I unfortunately missed this... trebuchet thing. Can someone enlighten me?

Coincidentally (I gather), someone (dskippy) was assembling a trebuchet in nearby Danehy Park today. I saw softballs and shoes launched before I had to head home and do my Economics homework.

Photos here.
Last edited by amedico on Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:57 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote::words:
-- Ben / DragonHawk

Thanks Ben, 'twas great being there. I did see you in the park and I got a picture of you on Sarah's camera with your [citation needed] sign.

To Barbie and Helen, I didn't see you at all after I let you guys bolt from my car to catch the countdown on time. I hope you had no trouble getting back to wherever you were getting to. You sounded like you'd be fine managing the T so I wasn't worried.

It was fun exploring the Museum of Science and I got some AWESOME pictures of lightning. Looking forward to Helen's full-sized shot of the man in the cage getting struck. The shows at the Museum were a definite highlight of the day, lightning being the best of the shows. I got to transfer electrons with a girl named Barbie. How many people can say that?

-

When we came close to the park (oh boy did we shave that close, the countdown happened while Sarah and I were still snagging a parking spot) we saw immediately the XKCDers (XKCDians?) coming out of the woodwork. There were groups of college-aged kids with maps, people running and just dozens making their way as fast as they could to Dudley st.

One of the first things I noticed was how much larger the park was than what I thought it would be judging from the satellite photos and a few shots taken awhile back by fourumers. I also noticed a the video camera set up and how I couldn't even SEE the jungle gym what with it being covered in human bodies. I talked to the guy dressed as a furry, talked to people from New Jersey, Vancouver, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and overheard many an accent. It was an awesome time.

To all at "Joe Sent Me" who gave me weird looks, I was just saying hi to fellow meetup-people. Sorry if it came off as awkward but I was on my way out.

Sarah, to her credit, enjoyed herself but she admitted to me later that while she's a very intelligent girl, she was clearly not as big of a nerd as most of the people there. As she was over-stimulated and needed some quiet time I had to cut the meeting short at just about 2 hours :(. I didn't get a chance to make the acquaintance of many of you and I missed a few fellow Penny-Arcade forumites but saw their mark left on the white board.
To you fellow SE++ers I say "Sorry to have missed you, cox dix lol!" and left a familiar smiley-face under where I had signed.

Overall, great group of folks, would convene again!++++++

Keep in touch those of you I got to know! May we meet again sometime in the future.

ABFA00

Postby ABFA00 » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:01 am UTC

I was there, in a Dropkick Murphys shirt

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:02 am UTC

ABFA00 wrote:I was there, in a Dropkick Murphys shirt

Nice, I was wearing my DKM hat.

Hey, I grew up near Ithaca... small world.
~Ian
http://www.aberrospecus.com

Member of [citation needed]: the XKCD meet-up band

"Normal people learn in order to survive. Geeks survive in order to have time to learn." - http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1727

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:06 am UTC

T wrote:
MissingDividends wrote:I also heard there was a reporter from a Boston newspaper. Any chance someone from the area could post a clipping/link to the paper's website when the article is printed?

According to the interviewer, when she buttonholed me, the article should be in Thursday's paper. http://www.bostonphoenix.com/

Thanks!

amedico

Postby amedico » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:09 am UTC

MissingDividends wrote:I was there. (College-age guy in black/gray with glasses and brown hair. Yes, I know that helps so much.)
ANolan wrote:Two girls were walking around with recorders and interviewing people. I'd love to listen to those.

I also heard there was a reporter from a Boston newspaper. Any chance someone from the area could post a clipping/link to the paper's website when the article is printed?

In addition to the Phoenix, someone from MIT's The Tech was there.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:14 am UTC

rhichi wrote:Not my fault...he was...ummm...trying to read the shirt...<_< >_> ^_^ V_V

So, it was a braille shirt, then? ;-)

DavidFromWales

The shadiest guy at the meetup...

Postby DavidFromWales » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Hey T!

No wonder you didn't get to catch up with me - according to Vasily, I was the shadiest guy there. Guess that's what you get for hanging out on the fringes dressed in black, excepting the XKCD college shirt, and trying to make sense of it all.

Seriously, great time-great people-great happening. Oh god, I'm reverting to the 1960's! And, if she happens to read it, the girl blowing bubbles was drop dead cute..... as was the girl in tartan with the dragon tattoo on her back (possibly the most gorgeous girl I've seen in a while but why oh why was she drawing giraffes.....!)..... as were you all! Love, David.

T

Postby T » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:22 am UTC

rhichi wrote:Not my fault...he was...ummm...trying to read the shirt...<_< >_> ^_^ V_V

Until I sort myself out a flickr (or similar) account:

http://forums.xkcd.com/gallery2.php?g2_ ... ewsIndex=1

http://forums.xkcd.com/gallery2.php?g2_ ... ewsIndex=1

rhichi

Postby rhichi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:24 am UTC

DragonHawk wrote:

So, it was a braille shirt, then? ;-)

Yes...of course...

And thank you T for the incriminating evidence. :roll:

rivenwanderer

Postby rivenwanderer » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 am UTC

That was neat! Let's do it again :) It was a little too chaotic for me to stay for more than a couple of hours, but it was cool to see so many people converge.
purple shiny?

albert

Postby albert » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:33 am UTC

I was there, in a green shirt with Kermit the frog on the back!

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:35 am UTC

i enjoyed everyone's company immensely. gordan is an ass but it's endearing really.

cheers to those i met and hung with.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

ikefalcon

Postby ikefalcon » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:41 am UTC

I was there. I felt kind of awkward because I'm not as frequent in the forum, but I signed one of the posters and took pictures of the vandalism. It was nice to see Randall in the flesh and to hear him admit that creating this event was a huge abuse of his power. I went because I feel that, from what I know about Randall through the comic, he thinks more like I do than anyone else I have ever met. I would have told him that myself, but he was mobbed with girls wanting him to sign their boobs and the like, and I'm sure that he gets that from every one of his fans. That's fame, though, ain't it?

alexthesoso

Postby alexthesoso » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:42 am UTC

ravnos wrote:
amedico wrote:I was there, in the "i am not real" shirt.

Nice, I believe you know my roommate, Brandon. He was talking to you.
Love the shirt.

with a name like ravnos, you would.

Man, i fee stupid. when i read that comic, i didnt think it was a date in teh future, and i didnt even think there would be something like this. very very nice.

ravnos

Postby ravnos » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:44 am UTC

alexthesoso wrote:
ravnos wrote:
amedico wrote:I was there, in the "i am not real" shirt.

Nice, I believe you know my roommate, Brandon. He was talking to you.
Love the shirt.

with a name like ravnos, you would.

Man, i fee stupid. when i read that comic, i didnt think it was a date in teh future, and i didnt even think there would be something like this. very very nice.

What's that supposed to mean :wink:
~Ian

http://www.aberrospecus.com

Member of [citation needed]: the XKCD meet-up band

"Normal people learn in order to survive. Geeks survive in order to have time to learn." - http://www.dieselsweeties.com/archive.php?s=1727

amedico

Postby amedico » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:47 am UTC

rhichi wrote:
T wrote:I was there. And I'm so glad I made the trip. As the afternoon progressed the comments altered subtly from "Where are you from? The UK?" to "Are you the guy from the UK?" So, I guess I was "the guy from the UK". Apparently one of my countrymen also made the trip, but I didn't manage to meet up with him.

Hey guy from the UK! I was the one with the boobs...*cough cough* shirt...that you photographed. The one that said Fd RNT/V sqrt (-1).

So what exactly *does* that equation mean? I'm reminded of the ideal gas law, but yours doesn't involve P. Alas, I'm a CS geek and my physics/chemistry learnings have gotten rusty.

rhichi

Postby rhichi » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:48 am UTC

That's correct actually. My shirt says WPI if you decode it.
W=Fd
P=nRt/V
i=sqrt (-1)

paleblue

Postby paleblue » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I was there. I was the female with glasses and long hair, in a long-sleeved yellow shirt, with the sleeves pushed back. I was also wearing a toughbook laptop.

I really enjoyed the "Wah Game", and generally dashing about trying to see everything at once.

Does anyone have pictures of me? I've looked on Flickr and haven't found any yet. Am I a vampire?

MissingDividends

Postby MissingDividends » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:51 am UTC

paleblue wrote:I really enjoyed the "Wah Game", and generally dashing about trying to see everything at once.

Yeah. That was pretty sweet.

Isaac Hill
Systems Analyst????

Postby Isaac Hill » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:53 am UTC

I was the 6'4" guy with long hair wearing a black T-shirt with a white picket fence on it. I could hear the countdown as I was walking down the street, explaining the concept to people who lived there.

I was going to explain the WPI shirt, but I've noticed an additional 3 posts since I started writing this. So, I'll just note that I liked it. WPI BS '00, MS '02.

persephonester

Postby persephonester » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:53 am UTC

I was there! I was waving around a voice recorder rather obnoxiously for the majority of it. I was the dark-haired one with the green and blue plaid ruffly shirt.

I'm in the midst of transcribing interivews now, and my fingers hurt. :(

T

Postby T » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:57 am UTC

paleblue wrote:I was there. I was the female with glasses and long hair, in a long-sleeved yellow shirt, with the sleeves pushed back. I was also wearing a toughbook laptop.

I really enjoyed the "Wah Game", and generally dashing about trying to see everything at once.

Does anyone have pictures of me? I've looked on Flickr and haven't found any yet. Am I a vampire?

I have pictures of someone with long hair, wearing a Toughbook, but the subject is wearing a short-sleeved red shirt, not a long-sleeved yellow shirt.

ickingfudiot

Postby ickingfudiot » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:03 am UTC

I registered just to say this (reddit comment links ftw):
The girl in this picture is really, really pretty.

paleblue

Postby paleblue » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:03 am UTC

T wrote:I have pictures of someone with long hair, wearing a Toughbook, but the subject is wearing a short-sleeved red shirt, not a long-sleeved yellow shirt.

I know him!

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Someone was going around with a handycam doing interviews and ended up interviewing the furry next to me and then walked away. I felt burned. Who was that guy?

Also, nobody was on PictoChat! I brought my DS and everything and not one of you nerds had yours fired up? So disappointing.

Admiral_Obvious

[extend]...

Postby Admiral_Obvious » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:09 am UTC

Casey here! I can officially say "I was there," too -- red "Ministry of Silly Walks" shirt, big yellow and black backpack, sporting a mild sunburn.

I have trouble believing that I *may* actually have had the day's record for longest tape measure extension, both vertical and lateral (187 inches, and 104 inches, respectively). Did anybody get better numbers than that?

Thank you to the guy who lent me his badass Stanley FatMax tape measure for the vertical record! The lateral was with a moderately slimmer Stanley MaxSteel 25, later signed by a weary-looking Randall Monroe -- He's a saint for graciously humoring the fan-swarm surrounding him all day!

Just a sidenote: We may need to standardize tape measure classes, if the [exend]-a-thon (o-rama?) is to be inducted as an official olympic sport.

Greetings to Sean [citation needed] and Natin -- Fare ye well on your trips back to Calgary and D.C., respectively!

It was good to see other RPI (and former RPI) people at the meetup, as well -- Greets to Jesse(nice work on those t-shirts), Diana (RSFA w00t!), and Emily(Psi-U, what!?), and to the guy from the Student Auto Shop whose name I forget (sorry), but who remembered my crappy Honda rustbucket!

Thanks again to Azrael for the maps.

I had a fantastic time chilling with everyone. The meetup was one of the highest geek-per-capita events in recent memory -- It felt like home. If we do it again, I'll catch you all there!

Peace all!
--casey

dlweinreb

I was there and took lots of photos; it was great!

Postby dlweinreb » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:19 am UTC

I was there. I often visit that park; I have close friends who live
just down Norris St, which is the south edge of the park. It was
amazing when we found out that xkcd 240 referred to our very
own little park! I arrived an hour and a half early, to make sure
I could get parking (I parked right outside the entrance to the
park), and took 161 photos, which can be viewed at

http://www.picasaweb.com/dlweinreb1/xkcd2007

They are uploading to Flickr as I type. I will
tag them "xkcddream".

I tried to photograph as many cool tee shirts as possible,
and I got a lot of shots of the drawings that people
made on the big white sheets.

We talked to a reporter from the Boston Phoenix, who said
that there might be an article on Thursday. We'll see. They
pretty much constitute "mainstream media" and I don't know
how they'll choose to cover it, but the reporter said that
she herself was a fan of the strip, which might help. I see
from other postings that she talked to others of us.

I went out with a bunch of fellow-geeks, some of whom
I knew and some new friends (hi, Vanessa!), to Greek
Corner (we figured Good Food would be full!), and then
I came back and took more photos.

I was a 6'2" guy with a trimmed beard taking lots of pictures,
wearing a "My normal approach is useless here" xkcd shirt.

What's the story with the "wah" game? How is it played?
Does it have something to do with xkcd or was it just a
fun thing to do?

The measuring-tape Olympics were fun. That should
be made a canonical sport. I find I can get 92"
with a Stanley PowerLock 25' model.

The folks who were making the tee shirts did a great
job, too. I bought one of those, which they made to
my specifications.

Whoever put up the signs around the park did a fantastic
job. They were totally appropriate and hilarious. "I'm a city!"

This was an awesome event, the finest geek-in I've ever
had the honor to participate in. Great job, everybody!

dlweinreb

Postby dlweinreb » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:22 am UTC

ickingfudiot wrote:I registered just to say this (reddit comment links ftw):

I've known her since she was a little girl. I can add that she is a
great singer and very, very smart.

T

Postby T » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:36 am UTC

Last edited by T on Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:41 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:38 am UTC

ickingfudiot wrote:I registered just to say this (reddit comment links ftw):

There were a lot of really quite attractive and intelligent girls there. It gives me hope that there's a dream girl out there for me. :) :oops:

Personman

Postby Personman » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:40 am UTC

I was there! I was the juggler in the in the Sports Racers shirt.

Caroline, if you read this, I was sad that I couldn't find you again to show you my wonderful rubber ducky that Randall signed. It is awesome.
A warb degombs the brangy. Your gitch zanks and leils the warb.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:41 am UTC

Cabhan wrote:@DragonHawk
I saw you! It was the "Semi-protect the Constitution" part that really caught my eye.

Excellent! I remember seeing your shirt several times, too - I presume you were in it at the time. ;) Good shirt -- I laughed. "Refrigerator". :lol:

coke_rocks

Postby coke_rocks » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:43 am UTC

Okita wrote:I don't know if I was there. Today was such a blur and I suddenly find myself in my room now wearing few clothes, very sweaty, tired feet, and for some reason I have Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" stuck in my head...

Argh. Here for anyone with the same inclination toward "hear title of song, get song stuck in head" as I have.

I was the guy with the Coca-Cola shirt and the laptop who uploaded pictures. They're available here. The Flickr photos (which aren't my fault) are slideshowed (slideshown?) here.

Thanks to everyone for an amazing time. Hope to see you all next time.

Except for the jerk with the "You just lost twenty dollars and my self respect" sign.

Darn, I just lost twenty dollars and my self respect.

dakota

Postby dakota » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:54 am UTC

I was there, I saw it.

Sadly, I wrote \prod_{n=1}^\infty (1-\frac{z^n}{n!}) instead of \prod_{n=1}^\infty (1-(\frac{z}{n!})^n).

Playpen balls fell from the sky, a rubber duck ended up on my head, the weather was great.

I had a maroon shirt with \gamma, i, \Phi, e and \pi on it.

Afterwards I ended up at a sorority house in Boston where word of mouth had already traveled about xkcd-stock. I can't wait to see old media's take on it.

Man that was pure win.
Winston: What if the Party says that it is not to be trusted?
O'Brien: Well, doublethink, um... *turns knob*

Meraki

Postby Meraki » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:57 am UTC

I was there! I was the very short Asian girl with the "Got λογος?" shirt on. And I claim a very small amount of credit for persuading Miss Australia to come to the event.

Took many pictures, which are here: http://www.meraki-iconika.com/Records/Photos/2007XKCD/

And I told Randall that I was a computational linguist, and received a hearty, "Sweet! FUCK YOU!" in response. It made my day!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”