XKCD Meetup Sept 2007 - "I was there" thread.

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Was Gordon the asshole you thought he would be?

Yes
12%
No
32%
Lock'd
56%

Total votes: 75

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Re: XKCD Meetup Sept 2007 - "I was there" thread.

Postby EstLladon » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

tylerni7 wrote:Hm, Russian guy, did you get one of those little pocket periodic tables signed by Randall, or was what someone else? (hopefully it was you because otherwise that would be a really random and weird question...)

No, that wasn't me. I was with antlers.
From Russia with math.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:12 pm UTC

Anyone know what happened to the velociraptor on a leash sign?
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

GammaShade

Re:

Postby GammaShade » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:29 pm UTC

visualpollution wrote:To clarify: I was offering free hugs that did not include raptors. ie there were no raptors in the free hugs I was giving... It said "raptor-free hugs". I swear I am not racist against raptors! Ok maybe a little bit. But I'm working on it.

This is of course why I asked you where to go for hugs with raptors. Equal opportunity and everything.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:34 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:Anyone know what happened to the velociraptor on a leash sign?

i saw it post meetup... it's definitely out there. i can't quite remember who had it, though. sorry!! :(
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

tylerni7

Postby tylerni7 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

EstLladon wrote:
tylerni7 wrote:Hm, Russian guy, did you get one of those little pocket periodic tables signed by Randall, or was what someone else? (hopefully it was you because otherwise that would be a really random and weird question...)

No, that wasn't me. I was with antlers.

Damn it, I could have sworn that some person had a signed mini periodic table and told someone they were from Russia... but they definitely didn't have the antlers on...

visualpollution

Re: Re:

Postby visualpollution » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:56 pm UTC

GammaShade wrote:
visualpollution wrote:To clarify: I was offering free hugs that did not include raptors. ie there were no raptors in the free hugs I was giving... It said "raptor-free hugs". I swear I am not racist against raptors! Ok maybe a little bit. But I'm working on it.

This is of course why I asked you where to go for hugs with raptors. Equal opportunity and everything.

Not in Kambridge.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:59 pm UTC

visualpollution wrote:
GammaShade wrote:

Not in Kambridge.

Obviously I need to find the secret underground black hug market where even Raptors can find hugs.
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

spotrh

Postby spotrh » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:00 pm UTC

GammaShade wrote:

My baby raptor gives free hugs upon demand in Arlington, MA.

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 pm UTC

I don't know about the big signs, but I went back today just to visit and play on the swingset, and I found three signs still around --two mini "no raptor" signs to go with the no smoking or dogs or whatever, and the "Citation Needed" sign that someone put up under the "Randall Munroe Sweet Ass-Park"

And all the chalk was still there. :)

~Sor

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:12 pm UTC

Sorcyress wrote:And all the chalk was still there. :)

Of course. This photo shows it was clearly labeled. ;)

EDIT: Well, apparently the pic is fubar for many. Anyway, one of the chalk scribbles ("Please 2 Use Chalk") had been circled and marked "DNE" (Do Not Erase). But it's a lot less funny if I have to explain it. Sigh. :(

-- Ben
Last edited by DragonHawk on Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

marcmagus

Postby marcmagus » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:28 pm UTC

DragonHawk wrote:Of course. This photo shows it was clearly labeled. ;)

"This photo is private."

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:36 pm UTC

marcmagus wrote:"This photo is private."

Strange. How can I see it then? I've only had the flickr account since Monday. The only thing I can think of is that I marked my photos as part of the same xkcd group. Does that magically grant me access to everything in that group then? Even private things? Seems like a poor design.

EDIT: In case it wasn't clear, I didn't post that photo, I just found it in the flickr group.
Last edited by DragonHawk on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:13 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Nobody Important

Postby Nobody Important » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

Yeah, it says it's private, but I can see it just fine.

Maybe you have it flagged as group members only? I don't know, everything I've ever put on flickr has been as open as possible, and I don't even remember what the permissions levels are or how they work.

Nyren

Postby Nyren » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:05 am UTC

Sorcyress wrote:I don't know about the big signs, but I went back today just to visit and play on the swingset, and I found three signs still around --two mini "no raptor" signs to go with the no smoking or dogs or whatever, and the "Citation Needed" sign that someone put up under the "Randall Munroe Sweet Ass-Park"

And all the chalk was still there. :)

~Sor

I was with the last group to leave the park and make sure everything was relatively clean. We missed the "citation needed" sign apparently, but we left up the two mini "no raptor" signs on purpose. They were small and unobtrusive, and we thought they blended in well enough to leave until the rain washed them away like the chalk.

butternut

also i

Postby butternut » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:05 am UTC

Aye, I was there too, not talking to all the strangers though we were a varied and friendly-looking group. Had to leave quick to drive back to Vermont before dark (broken glasses).

So, I didn't meet my dreamboat nor was anyone's dreamgirl myself, but YAY for this happening! So much creativity and yes indeed courage, and you know I'm not just talkin' raptorphobia.

EDIT for der visual: pink shirt and dk brown pants, little red camera, and a backpack, wandering around grinning and probably squinting because of the aforementioned lack of glasses.
Last edited by butternut on Sat Sep 29, 2007 12:59 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Nyren

Postby Nyren » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:06 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:Anyone know what happened to the velociraptor on a leash sign?

I took it when we were cleaning up and taking down all the signs. No one else was there, so I assumed whomever left it didn't want it. Was it yours?

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:34 am UTC

Most of the signs were hers, originally.
addams wrote:A drunk neighbor is better than a sober Belial.

They/them

Nyren

Postby Nyren » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:43 am UTC

Belial wrote:Most of the signs were hers, originally.

Would she like any of them back? Those of us who were cleaning up felt we should either dispose of them or take them as part of cleaning up, so as not to give the neighborhood a bad impression of us, so we took them as souvenirs to hang on our walls. I could likely track down a few of them if desired. They're awesome signs though, and we'd love to keep them if she doesn't want them back.

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:09 am UTC

Nyren wrote:
Belial wrote:Most of the signs were hers, originally.

Would she like any of them back? Those of us who were cleaning up felt we should either dispose of them or take them as part of cleaning up, so as not to give the neighborhood a bad impression of us, so we took them as souvenirs to hang on our walls. I could likely track down a few of them if desired. They're awesome signs though, and we'd love to keep them if she doesn't want them back.

Man, I would almost go so far as to let a raptor eat me in order to have the Randall Munroe Sweet Ass-Park sign. Whoever has it probably deserves it a lot more then I do, though. *sigh*

~Sor
MOOP!

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Fri Sep 28, 2007 3:17 am UTC

I would like to take this moment to suggest to Cat and her roommate that they have quite the business opportunity here. There's probably quite the market for Official Randall Monroe Memorial Park Replica Signs.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:36 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:I would like to take this moment to suggest to Cat and her roommate that they have quite the business opportunity here. There's probably quite the market for Official Randall Monroe Memorial Park Replica Signs.
Lol. I have my dobuts. Plus I don't know how exact they would look and I don't think Lisa really WANTS to do that. She actually offered to remake the velociraptor on a leash for me already. I just think it's kind of besides the point to have a replica...then again they are pretty cool looking.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

danb

Postby danb » Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:57 am UTC

Crappy ass-videos are up, as promised! They're small, so this shouldn't set my server on fire or anything. Hopefully.

1: The countdown
2: A bit of raptor dancing (no longer sideways!)
3: Wish You Were Here
4: Hotel California
5: "Bill Nye versus raptors!"
6: The "wah!" game

(I also made a blag post with some pictures if you're interested in that sort of thing.)
Last edited by danb on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Sat Sep 29, 2007 2:43 am UTC

danb wrote:2: A bit of raptor dancing (sorry it's sideways)

If you have access to a computer with MPlayer on it (many Linux boxen, for example, but I think it also works for Windows), you can fix this with:

Code: Select all

mencoder -vf rotate=1 -oac copy -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mjpeg -o pict2711-rotated.avi pict2711.avi

If you like, I can convert the video for you and send it back to you.

danb

Postby danb » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:23 am UTC

Hey, that's cool. Thanks, DragonHawk.

Doctor

Postby Doctor » Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:35 am UTC

I.
Absolutely.
Love.
WAH.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

One week, three hours and fifteen minutes since the meet up. But I still vow to have an even better weekend in my future.

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:21 am UTC

As previously stated, I wasn't there. However, I did, on a recent foray into Cambridge, see the guy with the PVC friend. Just biking along, next to the car. I shouted "XKCD!!!", but I don't think he heard me.

puppy528

Postby puppy528 » Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:45 pm UTC

for those of you (read: nobody), who wondered what became of the St Louis guy and his Kambridge-based first date with his Dream Girl from Iowa; well, it was wonderful, beautiful, and amazing. I've never had a better or more romantic first date in my life. Thanks to all who helped make it so. And, did he get a second date from her, after taking her back home to Iowa? Read the 'old' last panel, one more time.. :(

At least I got to see the ocean.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:25 pm UTC

puppy528 wrote:for those of you (read: nobody), who wondered what became of the St Louis guy and his Kambridge-based first date with his Dream Girl from Iowa; well, it was wonderful, beautiful, and amazing. I've never had a better or more romantic first date in my life. Thanks to all who helped make it so. And, did he get a second date from her, after taking her back home to Iowa? Read the 'old' last panel, one more time.. :(

Sorry to hear that. Life tends to be hard. :( But remember, occasionally, sometimes wanting something can make it real. We all have to keep trying. Resist entropy!

theyellowhobbit

Re:

Postby theyellowhobbit » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:17 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
theyellowhobbit wrote:But at one point I was knitting and later I was spinning wool. So if you saw someone doing either or both of these activities, it was me.
I saw two knitters, I think. Did you have green yarn? (I think I remember seeing a girl with green yarn knitting while chatting.)

zigdon wrote:Kept your knitting yarn inside a blue fleece bag?

chaosspawn wrote:Apparently some of the other people there were crocheting not knitting, at least I'm not the one who got beat up for not understanding the difference.

Eeep. I totally forgot to check the forums since I posted (I blame grad school). Sorry!

I was knitting with pink yarn. It was in a blue bag, though it's not fleece, it's this woven fabric. And the way you tell the difference is that knitting uses two pointy needles while crocheting uses one (usually less point) hook. I do both.

I didn't see any other knitters. But I guess that's to be expected in a crowd this large. Though one would think my knit-dar would have pointed them out to me...

sab39

Re:

Postby sab39 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

GusPatsy wrote:edit: One more item of note, I used the "if I could rearrange the alphabet" line on a cute girl, and found it even more awkward than I had expected, as her sister was standing right next to her. If either of you are reading this, please feel free to make fun of me, you earned when you both said "At least she puts out."

I wasn't there and I've been reading this thread with tremendous jealousy, but I just thought you might like to know that I literally1 rolled around on the floor laughing for a good two or three minutes at this.

Particularly the mental image I get of the two girls both immediately pointing at each other and simultaneously saying "at least she puts out". I'm sure it didn't actually happen that way, but just the thought is priceless.

1 And I do know what "literally" means and I'm not using it ironically. There was actual, physical rolling going on.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:43 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:As previously stated, I wasn't there. However, I did, on a recent foray into Cambridge, see the guy with the PVC friend. Just biking along, next to the car. I shouted "XKCD!!!", but I don't think he heard me.

Hee hee, that's Skippy.

puppy528 wrote:for those of you (read: nobody), who wondered what became of the St Louis guy and his Kambridge-based first date with his Dream Girl from Iowa; well, it was wonderful, beautiful, and amazing. I've never had a better or more romantic first date in my life. Thanks to all who helped make it so. And, did he get a second date from her, after taking her back home to Iowa? Read the 'old' last panel, one more time.. :(

At least I got to see the ocean.

There's no point at which one can truly say a dream is lost, as long as you're still breathing.

dskippy

Postby dskippy » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:30 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:As previously stated, I wasn't there. However, I did, on a recent foray into Cambridge, see the guy with the PVC friend. Just biking along, next to the car. I shouted "XKCD!!!", but I don't think he heard me.

I have recently heard people yell stuff and I've had a hard time figuring out where it's coming from. One of those could have been you. I made a friend for him last Monday. I'm going to put it up on my blog soon, but here's a sneak peak.

http://www.ccs.neu.edu/home/dskippy/PVC1.jpg

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:42 pm UTC

longest bike ever

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:31 am UTC

Image I was there. Just got an email with this pic.
http://vark.blogspot.com/2007/10/this-i ... -xkcd.html
Had a lovely time, worth the drive from Indiana.

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:40 am UTC

Say, does anyone have a decently resized graphic suitable for making stencils?

I didn't know there was going to be stenciling, and I wore a shirt I didn't want painted. :cry:
Darwin was right, but nanny-staters keep trying to undermine him

Return to “XKCD Meetups”