Favorite meet up moments

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Sprocket
Seymour

Favorite meet up moments

Postby Sprocket » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

Hey. Post your favorite memory of the meet up here. You can talk about things that everyone remembers, or just things that you and a few other people did, too. Even something you alone maybe loved and noticed, or that you're wondering if other people caught.

My favorite personal moment was walking with people and talking about meeting people from the fora. I was talking about how being on the fora, it's kind of weird that I seem to be the only person with an SN that referenced the comic. The guy I was talking to said "well, what about Catproximity?"

My other favorite moment was sitting on Zerosum's lap singing improvised 12 bar blues with Allisto, played by AnthropomorphicWombat, "The big fat geek blues" at the Hilton. With Belial, Girl, Bakemaster, Helen, Apocralypse, Gmalivuk and Nougat as our audience. (who should be on that list and isn't?)

Finally - Walking people from the trebuchet to Alewife and dancing in the parkinglot to Okita's boom box with all those crazy forumites. :-D SO COOL! (what was that song?)
Last edited by Sprocket on Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:40 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

davidad
Psaltery-man is playing the Psaltery

Postby davidad » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

Yeah, I was that guy. (Nobody remembers my name [davidad], perhaps I should change it to PsalteryGuy or BlueVestGuy or something, so people know who I am.)

It's hard for me to choose a favorite moment, but perhaps the most fun I had was trying to play along to popular songs with the guitarists. However, just meeting so many cool people in one day was great fun.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:45 pm UTC

my favorite moments were definitely walking dance party moments, from the original spot to the launch site, and then from there to the T/garage.

the uh entire previous night was one of the most fun times i've ever had as well.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

sonofspear

Postby sonofspear » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:09 pm UTC

I liked getting there at 12:30 or so, and going for "eatums" with a dozen of my closest strangers. Funny side note: on the way to the restaurant (or rather, on the way to a place where we might be able to decide about going to a restaurant), we saw a mattress out on the curb. "Huh," the general thought seemed to go. "Look at the mattress."

An hour and a half later I turned around and saw the mattress climbing the jungle gym. Whoever snagged that from the curb, I salute you. And whoever thought to get it signed by all comers and take it home, I congratulate you!

And meeting a girl in a cool hat while engaging in a group sing-along of "Hotel California" is also pretty high on the awesome list.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:16 pm UTC

Just a note about the mattress... there's a pretty big bedbug problem in the area, so I strongly advise against bringing it inside. Unless you want to be eaten alive in your sleep and have a near-impossible-to-exterminate infestation, that is.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Rummy

Postby Rummy » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

I enjoyed being instructed in the rules of "whaa"

tessuraea
Not Phallic Enough

Postby tessuraea » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:19 pm UTC

I didn't catch up with the other forumites until late--which is totally my fault for being too deaf to hear people yelling, apparently--but even though the rest of the wonderful-crowded-park-fun was great, the parking-lot-pole-jump and subway dance party were probably the best.

Well, no, the best was getting to meet everyone I got to meet. (I was going to list people but I knew I'd leave someone out so I didn't.)

Oh, and Anonymouse--I was thinking half of the way home that I never really talked to you and I'm annoyed with myself for that 'cause you're cool. At least we got to share a subway car. :)
This is not a reference to anyone's junk.

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Re: Favorite meet up moments

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:02 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:My other favorite moment was sitting on Zerosum's lap singing improvised 12 bar blues with Allisto, played by AnthropomorphicWombat, "The big fat geek blues" at the Hilton. With Belial, Girl, Bakemaster, Helen, Apocralypse, Gmalivuk and Nougat as our audience. (who should be on that list and isn't?)

Finally - Walking people from the trebuchet to Alewife...

Hah! I loved that too. You two were awesome for indulging.

But correct me if I'm wrong... didn't you lead us to Davis, not Alewife? Maybe we were right not to follow you from the very start =P

It was great hanging out with you and the *ahem* less-expendable forum members. And of course dinner at Redbones

Funny story-- after we parted ways I promptly got on the wrong Orange Line train and ended up having to call my brother to get his help in securing a ride via my IM account. I ended up getting back at around 4 and the person who ended up picking me up is someone I'd never met in person before. The story would be perfect (at least for here) had it been an xkcd-er, but alas, there are limitiations to reality's narrative.

and Davidad, I'll say it again. That whole thing was awesome. I forget... were you playing with us when we broke into Hotel California and we got a big crowd singing with us which dissipated when we played something else?

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:32 am UTC

CatProximity wrote:My other favorite moment was sitting on Zerosum's lap singing improvised 12 bar blues with Allisto, played by AnthropomorphicWombat, "The big fat geek blues" at the Hilton. With Belial, Girl, Bakemaster, Helen, Apocralypse, Gmalivuk and Nougat as our audience. (who should be on that list and isn't?)

Oh noes, that was probably after I left. But you know that just means we all have to hang out again. :D

But right now I'm uploading some TREBUCHET FOOTAGE which shall be posted as soon as it finishes "processing."

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 am UTC

Great fun for me was popping up on Meaux's balcony and seeing the fun reactions of people. That and filling up a bucket with tasty tasty fluids.

Nobody Important

Postby Nobody Important » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:40 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:

Finally - Walking people from the trebuchet to Alewife...

Hah! I loved that too. You two were awesome for indulging.

But correct me if I'm wrong... didn't you lead us to Davis, not Alewife? Maybe we were right not to follow you from the very start

After the trebuchet, we didn't actually walk to Alewife, thanks to the Raptor Guy's boom box, we strutted.

Subway Dance Party might be my favorite meetup moment.

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 am UTC

tessuraea wrote:
Oh, and Anonymouse--I was thinking half of the way home that I never really talked to you and I'm annoyed with myself for that 'cause you're cool. At least we got to share a subway car. :)

are you sure it wasn't someone else wearing my name tag? :-p I have been informed that you were the one with the blue hair? which I totally didn't realize and wish I had.

edited to add that, though it doesn't beat the Alewife Strut as my favorite moment, ZeroSum coming over the rail of the balcony was one of the most awesome things I've ever seen an evolved monkey do.
Last edited by AnonyMouse on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:46 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

yy2bggggs

Postby yy2bggggs » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:45 am UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:
CatProximity wrote:Finally - Walking people from the trebuchet to Alewife...

But correct me if I'm wrong... didn't you lead us to Davis, not Alewife?

Which would mean I have someone else's car?

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:48 am UTC

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:25 am UTC

Nobody Important wrote:Subway Dance Party might be my favorite meetup moment.

Seconded! The Subway Dance Party was quite possibly the most awesome experience ever.
Agent Anderson wrote:Get back to the math & computer jokes; math is sexier than sex.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Subway Dance Party
Strutting down the street
Helen seeing a group of us on a train and deciding we looked nerdy enough that we had to be xkcd people
Going to the park and hanging up signs at 3am
Singing with Cat
EVERYTHING

Everything except the goddamned drive home.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

GammaShade

Postby GammaShade » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:56 am UTC

Alisto wrote:Helen seeing a group of us on a train and deciding we looked nerdy enough that we had to be xkcd people

In fairness, there's not many other people who would be wearing No Raptors shirts en route to Cambridge.

The strut claims the meetup for me. Well, actually, the meetup claims the meetup, but strutting is number one in the subset.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 am UTC

She ID'd us without seeing the raptor shirt, though. I think the shirt just confirmed it, if she saw it at all.
Crazy like a BOX!

H.E.L.e.N.

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:26 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:She ID'd us without seeing the raptor shirt, though. I think the shirt just confirmed it, if she saw it at all.

I don't think that was me. I got to the meetup via Kantank's car.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:52 pm UTC

EsotericWombat wrote:But correct me if I'm wrong... didn't you lead us to Davis, not Alewife? Maybe we were right not to follow you from the very start =P
No, some other girl led y'all close to Davis, I just got that last 50 yards or some such. I led a group from the trebuchet to the Alewife stop, then I came back to the trebuchet, then Skippy told me to catch up to your group and ask you all if you wanted to get foodage. Do you recall a dance segment of that walk? No? Because it was a different walk.

I knew AnthropomorphicWombat wasn't right, but I couldn't think of what right was, so I figured I'd ask you, but you don't actually have a cell phone I discovered.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:35 pm UTC

helen wrote:
Alisto wrote:She ID'd us without seeing the raptor shirt, though. I think the shirt just confirmed it, if she saw it at all.

I don't think that was me. I got to the meetup via Kantank's car.

Well now I'm confused. We definitely picked up someone else while we were walking there. Hm...
Crazy like a BOX!

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:45 pm UTC

The train dance party was really awesome, and my favorite of the "group" activities.

I'm not really sure how to word it... but the best part of the meetup for me was spending time with people from the fora, and chatting a bit/getting to know them a little. Sort of putting faces/voices/an actual person to the name/avatar (because I generally don't recognize forum names, though some will certainly stand out more now! I suck at remembering names, but rarely forget what someone looks like).

Video of the train dance party is coming... I'm going to have to convert it from .3g2 to something else first. I would have done it last night, but I left my MicroSD card and reader in my work computer!

EDIT: This happens to be my 100th post. 1000, here I come!
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:52 pm UTC

You can upload 3g files to youtube, no conversion necessary.

If you don't have an account, you can email it to me and I'll host it.
Crazy like a BOX!

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:01 pm UTC

Awesome. I just didn't see 3g2 in the supported types list. It's uploaded, and processing now!

EDIT: T dance party video is HERE!

GammaShade

Postby GammaShade » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

Alisto wrote:Well now I'm confused. We definitely picked up someone else while we were walking there. Hm...

Ah. I know who you mean, but I don't think she's on the fora. Or if she is, she's not checking in the right places.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:32 pm UTC

hendusoone, that is amazing. Many thanks.

Also, I now remember the girl. And she isn't on the forum. She said that it was a big enough commitment that she got out of bed and put on shoes. I can not remember her name.

This is going to drive me crazy.
Crazy like a BOX!

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:07 pm UTC

Wasn't she a Rachel?
You don't make them touch!

GammaShade

Postby GammaShade » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

Girlâ„¢ wrote:Wasn't she a Rachel?

She was in fact a Rachel. And as far as I know, she continues to be a Rachel.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

Mystery solved!
Crazy like a BOX!

EsotericWombat
Colorful Orator

Postby EsotericWombat » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:02 pm UTC

Umm... oops?

in my defense... yeah I've got nothing. I got wires crossed with the dance portion of the walk to the trebuchet. But you were already at the trebuchet when we got there, so yeah. My Bad.

The number I gave you isn't a cell, no, but I am very reachable by it. The fact that I'm so likely to pick up the landline if it rings is nearly as great a source of embarrassment as the lack of a cell phone.

Girl™
This is what I think of you.

Postby Girl™ » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:22 pm UTC

GammaShade wrote:
Girlâ„¢ wrote:Wasn't she a Rachel?

She was in fact a Rachel. And as far as I know, she continues to be a Rachel.

Hooray, I remembered someone's name ever! I knew she had a name that was already present in the group at least twice.
You don't make them touch!

Sorcyress

Postby Sorcyress » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:41 am UTC

sonofspear wrote:An hour and a half later I turned around and saw the mattress climbing the jungle gym. Whoever snagged that from the curb, I salute you. And whoever thought to get it signed by all comers and take it home, I congratulate you!

That was one of my webfriends. I'll let him know about the bedbugs.

The whole thing was my favourite moment.

Especially good bits include:

Running into aforementioned webfriend on the way to the event --he was waiting for friends outside the porter square t-stop just at the point when I was passing by. Amusing coincidences.

Getting to hang out with my favourite Bad Influence.

Being in the middle of the structure around 1:30ish, when there weren't as many people. Also, randomly singing the beginning of "The Sun is a Mass of Incandescent Gas" and having pretty much everyone sing along.

Actually getting money for my mom's MS walk (I made 24 dollars...thanks guys!!)

Lucking out and managing to be RIGHT THERE for Randall's speach. (I'm working on getting the video in a watchable format --I took it sideways. :( )

Throwing a loose playground ball around with Magus, aforementioned bad influence, my boyfriend, and a bunch of people I don't know

Being there.

People.

Ohmygod, people.

Randall.

OHMYGOD, Randall. Squee. :D

Meeting the lovely canadian ladies with the tent and the buttons and everything.

Andyeah. It was good. Hullo to all of you!

~Sor
MOOP!

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:11 am UTC

"hey..."

"WHAT?"

*^_^*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:14 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:Great fun for me was popping up on Meaux's balcony and seeing the fun reactions of people. That and filling up a bucket with tasty tasty fluids.

that was pretty damn awesome. i was surprised you were vertical, much less vertical for TWO STORIES.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

puppy528

Postby puppy528 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:25 am UTC

Going to Mike's Pub in Davis Square for lunch, waiting for the timer to count down, and looking out the window to see that a red spider had followed us, and was just outside the glass...
That, and watching the little kids that were just at the park because it was their park taking baseball bats to each and every red spider they could find. Too cute.

EpeeGnome

Postby EpeeGnome » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:35 pm UTC

Favorite quote "If there's room for n, than there's room for n+1!" as shouted by a guy climbing onto the already overcrowded structure.
Of course the whole day was wonderful, and I so enjoyed meeting every one that I joined the forum.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:11 pm UTC

It was also incredibly cool mustering all those people to go see Skippy's Trebuchet, as far removed as I was from each stage of that process, I still put things in motion.

n = Jello?

hendusoone wrote:Awesome. I just didn't see 3g2 in the supported types list. It's uploaded, and processing now!

EDIT: T dance party video is HERE!
whoo! Barbie can dance! WHY wasn't I THERE! (I gained a Patrick and met Randall, but I missed a SUBWAY CAR DANCE PARTY!!! Only time will tell if this was a fair exchange)

dskippy

Postby dskippy » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

For me, my favorite moment was definitely Randall asking me to fling shoes from the trebuchet. Or just the fact that there were forty people there. That made me feel good. Other than that I think the highlight was probably any time that Okita danced.

-skippy

persephonester

Postby persephonester » Thu Sep 27, 2007 5:33 am UTC

My Top Three Favorite Moments (In Order):

1. sprinting down the street to the park and arriving there just in time

2. interviewing Randall

3. this one is a bit embarrassing-- having another xkcd fan ask for my number...successfully

It was all sort of perfect.

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Re:

Postby shinybaby » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

Sorcyress wrote:Meeting the lovely canadian ladies with the tent and the buttons and everything.
~Sor
MOOP!

thanks, Sor!! :D it was lovely meeting you as well! we had such a great time...

a highlight for me was seeing Randall wearing one of our buttons (thanks Sor!!) and having him come over and explore the tent!! explaining some of the references was so fabulous!! :D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”