Connecticut meetup?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Connecticut meetup?

Postby ZeroSum » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:58 pm UTC

So it seems we have a nontrivial number of Connecticutians, some of whom seem to be longing to hang out with other like-minded people. Therefore, I propose something group-fun for the residents of Connecticut and those from the surrounding area willing to travel to meet up.

Therefore, who wants to go to Mystic Aquarium some weekend soonish? If we get 10 people confirmed we get a group rate. Standard pricing is $20 per adult. They have penguins and whales and sea lions and manta rays! Who could resist!?

Or, post other ideas for group activities! (If you need a thread to model this after, check out the highly successful Cambervillain thread to see what a bunch of geeks do together.)

Capslock118

Re: Connecticut meetup?

Postby Capslock118 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:18 pm UTC

Sign me up, that isnt too far from me and I have not had a chance to see it yet;
Weekends of course are preferred esp. with Mohegan sun around the corner. I am in New Haven so I never get a chance to go down in those parts anymore.

Edit: I would have an accomplice so mark me down as 2.

reishka

Postby reishka » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:50 am UTC

Woo! I'll go! I love Aquariums! With all the water and the stuff!

Just give me a day and I'll go!

Though, I don't think we have 10 Connecticutians here... Do we?

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:42 pm UTC

I'm not on here as much as I used to be, but I'm definitely up for getting CT meetups together.

Unless it conflicts with other plans, I can guarantee two for the Mystic trip as my SO and I have planned to go there at some point.

Another idea if people want to hang out:
We do a every-other-week "Car Chase Movie Night" at our place in West Hartford. The next one is Wednesday the 19th and every other Wednesday from then onwards. Right now we're working our way through this season's episodes of the British car show Top Gear. On tap once those are done Is "Ronin" and "The French Connection". If people are interested let me know here or via PM.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

reishka

Postby reishka » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:23 pm UTC

I'd be totally up for that when I get my car (It's on it's way to being inspected at the moment)

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:46 pm UTC

reishka wrote:I'd be totally up for that when I get my car (It's on it's way to being inspected at the moment)

Cool, PM sent with address & such.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

JoshuaZ

Postby JoshuaZ » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:21 pm UTC

I'd love to go. Unfortunately I'm going to be out of the area for the next few weeks. I do hope to see many xkcders at Vericon (the meetup for which is being discussed in another thread). Maybe a Connecticut meetup some other time might be good.

rxninja

Postby rxninja » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:54 am UTC

I'm in Storrs and frequently looking for stuff to do, but of the non-monetary nature, given that I'm an excessively poor college student. Huzzah.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:I miss a lot of people, too. Fortunately, ammo is cheap.

sophyturtle wrote:I think nudity is the solution for everything...

robertspol

Postby robertspol » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:06 am UTC

I'm up for meeting up. How about the End of January?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:14 pm UTC

How about either the 19th or 26th for Mystic Aquarium? People should post potential problems with these possibilities.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:35 pm UTC

19th is Arisia, which I will be attending. 26th is Vericon, which I am undecided on but unlikely to attend.

One thing that just occurred to me, looking at a map of the Aquarium. It appears that much of the aquarium is outside, which given the weather thus far this winter doesn't seem conducive to a January visit.

I could be completely wrong though, as i haven't been in ages, could someone who has been more recently weigh in?

"Less bite, more wobble"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:42 pm UTC

ooohhh I wanna go to the Aquarium! Can I come if I bring a CT forumite who never posts anymore? :-)
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:50 pm UTC

Pixel wrote:19th is Arisia, which I will be attending. 26th is Vericon, which I am undecided on but unlikely to attend.
Ah, forgot about Vericon, never heard about Arisia. Add Feb 2nd to the list of possible dates?

One thing that just occurred to me, looking at a map of the Aquarium. It appears that much of the aquarium is outside, which given the weather thus far this winter doesn't seem conducive to a January visit.
Yeah, it's mostly outdoors, but that shouldn't be a problem, I don't think, since most of their creatures are cold-weather creatures anyway? Assuming there's less than three inches of snow, I'm sure they'll have the place cleaned up nicely for guests.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:28 pm UTC

ZeroSum wrote:
Pixel wrote:19th is Arisia, which I will be attending. 26th is Vericon, which I am undecided on but unlikely to attend.
Ah, forgot about Vericon, never heard about Arisia. Add Feb 2nd to the list of possible dates?

Arisia is the biggest scifi con in New England. It sold out all 2000 memberships last year. and would have sold more if the hotel could have held more. It is a truly awesome con.

ZeroSum wrote:
Yeah, it's mostly outdoors, but that shouldn't be a problem, I don't think, since most of their creatures are cold-weather creatures anyway? Assuming there's less than three inches of snow, I'm sure they'll have the place cleaned up nicely for guests.

*nod* My only concern is what will and won't be open and how cold it'll be there (being right on the coast). It isn't a deal breaker for me, just something to take into consideration.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Overand

Postby Overand » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:47 am UTC

Well - the dolphin exhibit won't be open - they accidentally killed them all a few years ago.

I've been at this place when it's not-even-as-cold-as-february and it can be a bit nasty. That being said, it's certainly doable. Unfortunately, the interior environment may not be entirely conducive to the sort of rowdy geekery I'd expect from an XKCD meetup. It's a sort of quiet, dark place for the most part.

It is, however, close to a lot of stuff - New London is an interesting scene - and of course there's Sarge's Comics, which I'd guess some XKCD folks would like, restaurants, and lots of good waterfront to walk along. How do people feel about a quasi-mobile meetup?

Just thoughts.

reishka

Postby reishka » Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:36 am UTC

ZeroSum wrote:How about either the 19th or 26th for Mystic Aquarium? People should post potential problems with these possibilities.

I'm up for either of those. The 2nd of February also works well. :)

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:43 pm UTC

Car Chase Movie Night tonight in West Hartford, We're watching the last two episodes of this season's Top Gear (season 10, not the season 8 being shown on BBC America).

Show up around 6pm, we'll likely order delivery food, and disc goes in around 6:30pm. PM or comment if you're coming and/or if you need my address.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:39 pm UTC

Wednesday is Car Chase Movie night, as usual. We'll be watching Thunder Road with Robert Mitchum (as in he's in the movie, not he's watching it with us).

As per usual, show up around 6pm, movie goes in around 6:30pm. PM me if you need my address.

"Less bite, more wobble"

clayasaurus

Postby clayasaurus » Wed Mar 26, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

anyone closer to fairfield county?
I lie down in fields and listen to Underworld a lot.

scrt_rbt_agnt
douche bag

Postby scrt_rbt_agnt » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:36 pm UTC

hey everyone, i am going to mystic aquarium this weekend (saturday to be specific) and was wondering if anyone would like to meet there. it is likely that meaux_pas will be with me as she will be staying at my house. if anyone is up for it, post here or send me a PM!

edit: also, i am from the hartford area and might be able to give someone a ride perhaps.
i am a poet and an artist

i don't wanna worry about dyin'
i just wanna worry about sunshine girls

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:50 pm UTC

Ack, you picked the one weekend I'm not going to be in town. And the following Saturday I'm hosting the Mad Scientists Union meeting/open garage at my place.

"Less bite, more wobble"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:28 pm UTC

Well then it's not the ONE weekend you're not free, is it Pixel? Excuses, excuses.
I haven't seen you in forever and a day, dangit! We mush chill again soon.

So, i haven't seen anybody else who wants to go to Mystic with us, perhaps we should reschedule for another weekend, so I can drag the Cambervillains along.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

That whole "be in NYC by 1pm thing" is what's stopping me.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:45 pm UTC

You should reschedule for May, when I'm back from Australia and somewhat free.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Well then it's not the ONE weekend you're not free, is it Pixel? Excuses, excuses.
I haven't seen you in forever and a day, dangit! We mush chill again soon.

Point. I tend to think of my weekends as largely free, but the reality doesn't match all that well. Though for the last couple months I have been in CT every weekend, and this coming weekend is the first one spent out of state. Amusingly this weekend I'll actually be in Worcester and therefore closer to Boston.

Meaux_Pas wrote:So, i haven't seen anybody else who wants to go to Mystic with us, perhaps we should reschedule for another weekend, so I can drag the Cambervillains along.

Sounds liek a good plan, waiting a bit for warmer weather would probably be a plus as well.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Johnny9919

Postby Johnny9919 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:47 pm UTC

you can count me in as well (Shelton,ct) free when ever you need me to be

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:42 am UTC

CT meetup? whatwhat?

I am in the midst of moving, but I can manage to be around for fun timez probably. might be able to drag Tractor too (if anyone still knows we exist around here). I'm in Waterbury during the week (actually I work in shelton), Enfield most weekends. will travel.

Tractor

Postby Tractor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:49 am UTC

AnonyMouse wrote:CT meetup? whatwhat?

I am in the midst of moving, but I can manage to be around for fun timez probably. might be able to drag Tractor too (if anyone still knows we exist around here). I'm in Waterbury during the week (actually I work in shelton), Enfield most weekends. will travel.

Rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.
9 x 6 = 42

Note: Randall kicks ass.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:05 pm UTC

I live on the West Hartford / Bloomfield line, and work up in the area as well. I'd be interested in meeting some like minded people (see my post in intro thread).

~Dak
Jamie
---------------------
I have with me two gods, Persuasion and Compulsion. - Themistocles

ThePolishteer

Postby ThePolishteer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:23 pm UTC

I'd be up for meeting, I live in Massachusetts but right on the border with Conneticut

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:11 pm UTC

Shall we try and plan something for next weekend (sat 26th or sun 27th)? I can *tentatively* offer our place in West Hartford, though I need to run it past my housemates first. Or we could find another place to hang out. Would people prefer a restaurant? a bookstore? a park?

If that is too soon than something in mid-May? I'm committed for Sat the 3rd (moved to May 10th) as I'm hosting a Meeting of the Mad Scientists Union that day (which you are all welcome to attend) and am likely to be in NY that Sun. However I don't have any other rigid plans for the other weekends of that month.
Last edited by Pixel on Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:00 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

"Less bite, more wobble"

AnonyMouse
Boobs, LOL!

Postby AnonyMouse » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:26 pm UTC

edit: can't do it next weekend. stuff! sorry.
Last edited by AnonyMouse on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:16 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:56 pm UTC

I'd be interested / willing to meet up next weekend as well. I'd prefer Sunday or Saturday evening, but whatever works. Any idea if this weather is supposed to hold steady?

~Jamie
Jamie
---------------------

reishka

Postby reishka » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:29 am UTC

I'd be interested, but I'm in the city next weekend for a pair of concerts on Saturday/Sunday night... :(

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Tue Apr 22, 2008 12:53 pm UTC

So if people are unsure for this weekend, why not plan something for May 10th?
Jamie
---------------------

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:38 am UTC

Dakun wrote:So if people are unsure for this weekend, why not plan something for May 10th?

Mad Scientists Union was moved to May 10th, though if people want to come hang out while that is going on you are plenty welcome.

Also a random thought, I'm doing a Car Chase Movie Night tomorrow (wed) at my place. We'll be watching Two Lane Blacktop and hanging out. If you're interested we gather around 6pm, PM me for the address.

"Less bite, more wobble"

reishka

Postby reishka » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:27 am UTC

May 10th sounds good on this end. Most weekends in May are free for me, actually.

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:06 pm UTC

I have a standing obligation (class) Wednesday nights. But the 10th is do-able. What experiments are you guys planning in your garage? This sounds dangerous :)
Jamie
---------------------

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:03 pm UTC

Dakun wrote:I have a standing obligation (class) Wednesday nights. But the 10th is do-able. What experiments are you guys planning in your garage? This sounds dangerous :)

The Mad Scientists Union is an excuse to hang out and work on whatever projects the people there might have. Last time I was lowering my '62 Comet, a friend was doing the spring tuneup on his scooter, another friend brought his forge and was making scale plate out of pennies, and another friend was starting the restoration of her 1960's bicycle.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Dakun

Postby Dakun » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:46 pm UTC

Well if you don't mind some casual observers with soda and chips wandering around the yard / garage / house and mingling, sounds like you can do a joint event. Perhaps I'll find something to build - or maybe just bring my truck and create a pool in the bed :-D.

~Jamie
Jamie
---------------------

Return to “XKCD Meetups”