SF bay area June/July meetup and April 20th meetup

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Æshættr

SF bay area June/July meetup and April 20th meetup

Postby Æshættr » Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:09 am UTC

Since these things need a bit of advanced planning, I'd like to start a discussion on a possible meetup in the SF bay area in June or July.

I'd like to start making a list of who all would be interested. If you are, please reply and also include what days you're free on in June/July, and what city you're in during that time so I can get a better idea of when and where we should meet. Also make a note if you'll be able to provide transportation for other people.

For the sake of an initial suggestion, I'd like to tenatively put Bushrod Park down as the meeting place, and June 21st down as the meeting time. The park is close (less than a mile) from the Ashby BART station, so as long as you have a way to the BART, transport shouldn't be a problem. As current planning goes, I am free for both months in San Jose, and can provide transport for up to four people from San Jose or the surrounding cities.
Last edited by Æshættr on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ragavin

Re: SF bay area June/July meetup

Postby Ragavin » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:41 pm UTC

I'd probably be down. I work 8-6 M-Sat though.

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:39 pm UTC

I'll actually be in town over the July 4th weekend, but I'll be spending all my time with family (we're celebrating a birthday). Sorry kids, though I really would like to meet up with some people.
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Micron

Postby Micron » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:39 am UTC

I am in the area, no promises what my schedule will be this far in advance but it would be fun to meet some of you.

Shoemaster

Postby Shoemaster » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:03 am UTC

I might be down for this. I've got a friend who loves XKCD so I might bring her.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:15 pm UTC

Ragavin wrote:I'd probably be down. I work 8-6 M-Sat though.

Well, that makes the 21st not as good of an option as the 22nd. So aside from Ragavin, does anyone have any kind of predictable schedule of unavailability? Does the 22nd work for everyone so far?

As a side note (and mostly unrelated), if anyone else happens to be going to Yuri's Night at NASA Ames, stop by the ham radio booth and say hello.

Ragavin

Postby Ragavin » Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:47 pm UTC

Depending on the time this works for me.

xabram

Postby xabram » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:16 am UTC

I'll be in Santa Rosa during the summer and would like to come down for this, but I'm unsure of my summer job situation.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:41 pm UTC

I am very much up for this, as the only time I will be out of town will be in August (Lollapalooza bitches!)

Of course, something may pop-up since this is so far in advance but other than that I am open.

Herr Samsa

Postby Herr Samsa » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:38 pm UTC

I'd be down if it was in July or very late June.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:47 am UTC

I live in the area year-round, so this sounds great to me. Sunday the 22nd... Hard to make definite commitments this far in advance, but Sundays are usually good days for me. Afternoon?
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:33 pm UTC

Herr Samsa, does the 22nd qualify as late June?

Wayward

Postby Wayward » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:25 am UTC

I'm going out of town the weekend of the 22nd, not to return for two months or so.

But I'd be game for arranging another meetup much earlier (In addition to this one). Maybe late this month? Anyone interested?
Don't be mean.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:51 am UTC

Wayward wrote:I'm going out of town the weekend of the 22nd, not to return for two months or so.

But I'd be game for arranging another meetup much earlier (In addition to this one). Maybe late this month? Anyone interested?

I'm tentatively interested. When I'm home, I'll check my calender and see if I've actually got any free weekend time left this month... I know I've scheduled a lot of stuff. (I'm assuming it'd probably have to be a weekend for a lot of folks, but it doesn't have to be for me.)

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:22 pm UTC

I'd also be game for one later this month, but my weekends are filling up. The only weekend days that I'm free on this month are the 20th, 26th, and 27th.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:25 am UTC

Æshættr wrote:I'd also be game for one later this month, but my weekends are filling up. The only weekend days that I'm free on this month are the 20th, 26th, and 27th.

The 20th is a good one for me. I propose the 20th, Sunday, in the afternoon.

I thought of a great location today... How about Lake Merritt? It's got a BART station, so it's easy for the carless. It's a really beautiful lake surrounded by park with great trees for climbing. You can rent boats, $10/hr. for a 3-person pedal boat, rowboat, or canoe. There's a neat bird sanctuary. There's a walking trail around the perimiter, good for if we just wanted to wander and encounter random things and people. And then just outside the park are loads of restaurants and cafes. Really, a wonderful place for a bunch of creative people to have a freeform sort of day. Whatcha think?

We could meet after lunch, or we could meet at lunchtime and start things off with a potluck picnic... The latter might be a good thing to keep us in one place for a spell while people filter in. If picnicking, I propose 1:00 or maybe 1:30.... Early enough to eat, but late enough that people who are coming from the farther reaches of the bay area can still sleep in pretty late.

Wayward

Postby Wayward » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:26 am UTC

That Lake Merritt idea for the 20th sounds excellent. I'm game, and I'll drag along another individual.

Also, we'd need a a good approximation of the amount of people coming so that the potluck contributions can be prepared in adequate quantities. I call dibs on dessert.
Don't be mean.

Jyxtrant

Postby Jyxtrant » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:30 pm UTC

I like this idea.

Unfortunately, I"m working again next weekend. This didn't seem to be a hindrance at the last xkcd meet in el cerrito, though.

So this could be good :)

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:27 am UTC

I'd also be down for the 20th. I currently have nothing planned for that day, so I'll be able to be there. I haven't looked this place up yet, but if it turns out to be a really great place, we can probably switch the June meetup there as well.

Shoemaster

Postby Shoemaster » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:02 am UTC

That date works well for me but I'm crazy busy with midterms so I'm not sure I'll have the energy. 70% chance I'll go.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:15 am UTC

Depending on my monetary situation I might be able to rent a car and drive down from Sacramento. I would be more than happy to pick up anyone along the way.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:37 pm UTC

I'm up for it if I could get a ride from Foster City.

Wayward

Postby Wayward » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:17 am UTC

nsmjohn wrote:Depending on my monetary situation I might be able to rent a car and drive down from Sacramento. I would be more than happy to pick up anyone along the way.

There are a few xkcd-ians in Sac, I bet you could find one and get a ride. Or better yet, convince a friend! (Also, I think "Pero" from the last meetup is coming from there.)
Don't be mean.

nsmjohn

Postby nsmjohn » Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:34 am UTC

Wayward wrote:
nsmjohn wrote:Depending on my monetary situation I might be able to rent a car and drive down from Sacramento. I would be more than happy to pick up anyone along the way.

There are a few xkcd-ians in Sac, I bet you could find one and get a ride. Or better yet, convince a friend! (Also, I think "Pero" from the last meetup is coming from there.)

That would work too.
Gojoe wrote:Well, I would say something here, but it would only make it worse.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:05 am UTC

Or, I've heard it's a really nice train ride down from Sacramento to the east bay... Don't know the details on the connections you'd have to make to end up at Lake Merritt, but generally getting from one train to another is pretty easy. I think the train from Sac is supposed to cost something in the $20-30 range--not cheap like BART, but still probably cheaper than renting a car if you come alone.

Soooo... I think we've got enough people to declare this officially, don'tcha say? And does a 1:30 potluck sound good?

I'll be in that neighborhood on Wednesday and will scout things out for a specific place to meet. Are people attached to having tables to picnic on, or would grass-sitting be just as good if it's at a spot closer to BART?

Wayward

Postby Wayward » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:15 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:Or, I've heard it's a really nice train ride down from Sacramento to the east bay... Don't know the details on the connections you'd have to make to end up at Lake Merritt, but generally getting from one train to another is pretty easy. I think the train from Sac is supposed to cost something in the $20-30 range--not cheap like BART, but still probably cheaper than renting a car if you come alone.

Soooo... I think we've got enough people to declare this officially, don'tcha say? And does a 1:30 potluck sound good?

I'll be in that neighborhood on Wednesday and will scout things out for a specific place to meet. Are people attached to having tables to picnic on, or would grass-sitting be just as good if it's at a spot closer to BART?

Official it is. I'd prefer a table because I don't like getting little grass rain droplets on me, and generally tables have shade. Which is very nice.

Is there a map of the park we could link, with maybe a big red X where we want to initially meet and where we'll be?

Also, maybe the people involved could share their cell numbers with one responsible individual (NOSE GOES! *touches nose*) so that last minute directions/clarifications can be given? Or someone that can be there early who would be willing to give their number out?

And directions from Bart to the park.

Yikes, that's a to-do list!
Don't be mean.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:27 am UTC

I might actually be in California then. Someone should send a reminder email out closer to that time.

There's a shuttle from Davis to Berkeley for $5.50 for UCD/UCB students some of you folks may wish to check out if you qualify for the service.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:22 am UTC

As far as getting there, if you're not sure how to get there, try using google maps and the "take public transportation" option. The maps around the bay area have bus/train scheduels that will tell you how to get there with minimum driving. I couldn't find any such directions for Sacremento, but I know that CalTrain and Amtrak go up there (a quick google search reveals that Amtrak is probably your best bet, since CalTrain goes down the west bay.) Riding the train would certainly be a cheaper option than renting a car.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Tue Apr 15, 2008 7:28 am UTC

Wayward wrote:Official it is. I'd prefer a table because I don't like getting little grass rain droplets on me, and generally tables have shade. Which is very nice.

Is there a map of the park we could link, with maybe a big red X where we want to initially meet and where we'll be?

Also, maybe the people involved could share their cell numbers with one responsible individual (NOSE GOES! *touches nose*) so that last minute directions/clarifications can be given? Or someone that can be there early who would be willing to give their number out?

And directions from Bart to the park.

Yikes, that's a to-do list!

I'll find a map and put an X on it. And show the nearest BART stations. I love maps, and I wanted to take a walk by the lake on Wednesday anyhow, so no probalo. Not sure how far it will be from BART to picnic tables... Can I assume folks won't mind a bit of a walk if it's along the shore of a beautiful lake?

The cell phone thing sounds like a great idea for those people who have cell phones. I am not one of those people. Cell phone owners, talk amongst yourselves. :-)

Ragavin

Re: SF bay area June/July meetup and April 20th meetup

Postby Ragavin » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:06 pm UTC

I have a severe aversion to Lake Merritt, it's a long story, so I won't be joining y'all at this one. I'll catch up on the next one. Have fun!

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:37 am UTC

What I found today...

Picnic tables are, alas, all on the other side of the lake from the BART stations. But I found a nice little wooden pier that's easy to get to, so we can have a dry, flat surface.

You can get there from the 19th St. BART station or the Lake Merritt BART station. Neither of these stations have bathrooms. The 19th St. station is a little closer to the pier. The walk from the Lake Merritt station, however, will take you past a porta-potty that is the closest restroom facility. Also, if you're coming on the Fremont line, you'll get to the Lake Merritt station 5 minutes before 19th St.

Directions from 19th Street station:

Go up the stairs at the 19th and Broadway exit. (This station has lots of exits. Most of them are ___ and Broadway, so make sure you get the right one, or these directions are out the window.)

At the top of the stairs, turn to your left. You will be facing a store called "Hat Guys." Buying a black hat is optional.

Turn to your left again and walk 50 feet to 19th Street.

Turn right on 19th Street and walk six blocks. 19th Street ends at a funky intersection. The pier is pretty much directly in front of you on the other side of the funky intersection and some grass... Just keep looking the direction you were facing when you were walking on 19th Street, and you can't miss it.

Directions from Lake Merritt station:

There are two "9th Street" exits. Take the one that has an escalator and a big blue sign about how to get to the Superior Court and the Oakland Museum.

At the top of the steps, turn left. You'll be facing 9th Street.

Turn left onto 9th Street. Go 50 feet.

Turn right on Oak Street. Go four or five blocks, depending on how you count blocks. (No, I'm not going to explain that right now. If you care, ask me. Otherwise, just watch for 14th Street.)

At the intersection of Oak and 14th, you'll see the lake on your right. (Note: Google Maps labels 14th Street as both 14th Street and Int'l Drive. The sign I saw at this intersection said 14th Street.) Go through the intersection and over to the trail along the edge of the lake.

Go left on the lake trail. You'll be going clockwise around the lake.

The trail will take you to a construction site. Just outside the construction site is the porta-potty. The lock is broken, so knock. It's usually pretty clean except for the words written on the walls. I added a very small bit of graffiti today; see if you can find it.

After using, or not using, the porta-potty, continue past the construction site and along the trail. The first pier that you can actually legally get to is the one you want. (I think there is a pier in the construction zone. Don't go in there. There are a lot of security guards.)

I took a Google Map and marked some stuff on it.

Wayward

Postby Wayward » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:56 am UTC

You are resplendent in your mappy glory. Rejoice.

Oh hey, quick, somebody make a new thread for this not under "June/July" title and draw more people in!

I love you all.
Don't be mean.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:59 pm UTC

April 20th is already in the title. Also, I'd be willing to coordinate cellphones and other forms of communication if we need to.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:19 am UTC

Okay, see you guys tomorrow at 1:30 for potluck followed by random adventures! Woot!

I think I'm going to bring deviled eggs and a bag of those baby carrot things. I'm thinking in terms of finger food to avoid worrying about whether I or anyone else is going to bring plates.

:)

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Apr 20, 2008 3:20 am UTC

Wow, this is tomorrow!

I might show up if I can find someone to come with me.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:11 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:Okay, see you guys tomorrow at 1:30 for potluck followed by random adventures! Woot!

I think I'm going to bring deviled eggs and a bag of those baby carrot things. I'm thinking in terms of finger food to avoid worrying about whether I or anyone else is going to bring plates.

:)

I can bring plates, since I recently bought a bunch of paper plates. I'm unsure as to what I should bring food-wise. I'll peruse the grocery store later and see if anything catches my eye. See you all tomorrow!

Edit: I'll be bringing cups, coke, lemonade, orange soda, and plates.

Ragavin

Postby Ragavin » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:55 pm UTC

How did this go?

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:43 am UTC

Four people showed up, so the turnout was a bit lower than expected. Despite that, it was still a lot of fun. Trees were climbed, apples were compared to one another, and labcoats were donned (if only briefly.)

backslash

Postby backslash » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:47 pm UTC

I found this thread today. I fail. Are you still using it to plan something in the summer? If so, I am doing a show until June 15th, and work M-F, but could do something in the evening or on Saturday. After 6/15 I am free, mostly, until rehearsals start up again after the Fourth of July....

Would love to meet up with you folks!
"...life's too long to bother with suing Andrew fucking Lloyd Webber." -- Roger Waters

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:17 pm UTC

Yes, we're still on for the 22nd of June meet-up. It seems to fit nicely with most schedules.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”