Hitchhiking tips

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Scigatt

Hitchhiking tips

Postby Scigatt » Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:25 am UTC

Today I attempted to hitchhike my way to the Surrey,BC graticule point. However, I failed miserably. Does anyone here have any tips for any would-be hitchhikers?

HedgehogsAreFunneh

Re: Hitchhiking tips

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:37 pm UTC

I have many tips, but unfortunately, none of them have been tried as of yet.((Soon!! Soon I will be old enough to try these without my parents having a heart attack!) So, maybe there more like suggestions...?
Anyway,

Suggestions/Have-Not-Been-Tried Tips

- Don't hitchhike at night. (1) , your own safety--it's harder to see you on the road in the dark-- and (2) if people are driving at night, chances are they're tired, and less likely to pick up someone.
- Don't wear "threatening" clothes, i.e. all black, or metal band Tshirts or anything. People are more likely to think you're trouble.

(I had more, but then they flew out my brain. *facepalm*)
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

ryantmer

Postby ryantmer » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:16 pm UTC

If the van says "Free Candy" on the side, avoid it.

michaelandjimi
Isn't Even Playing

Postby michaelandjimi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:28 am UTC

ryantmer wrote:If the van says "Free Candy" on the side, avoid it.
Wait, what? Candy is bad?

Look lonely; forlorn. Hat askew, clothes only slightly worn. Do it alongside roads with a moderately-paced speed limit - too fast and they might not see you, too slow and odds are you are in a city and no-one would pick you up there anyway.
Whelan wrote:Relax, have a good time, and hope for the bees ;)

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:54 pm UTC

Dress in clean but not new casual clothes. Be recently showered, and look so from a distance (recently shaved, hair not bussed or greasy). You want to give the impression of someone poor enough to need/want to hitchhike, but clean and neat enough you're not going to mess up or stink up their car. Pack a backpack with some snacks & drink and a jacket, and wear comfortable shoes.

Find a place with traffic moving at a reasonable speed, and plenty of room for someone to spot you in advance, and room past you for them to safely pull over. If you a hitching a long distance a cardboard & marker sign with where you are going can be helpful, if not just stick your thumb out.

Be prepared to wait a long time. People are a lot less likely to pick up hitchhikers these days. The times I've hitchhiked (which was around 6-10 years ago) I think the shortest amount of time I waited was a 1/2hr.

When someone does pull over, be on your best behaviour. Keep your hands in sight as you approach the vehicle, thank them for stopping as soon as you open the door. Make sure to not sit or step on any stuff of theirs, and don't move the seat unless you need to in order to fit. Don't mess with the radio or their stuff, and don't leave any of your trash behind.

I've hitchhiked a bit, and often pick up hitchhikers if I see them, but I seem to be in the minority in both categories so you may not be lucky enough to run across anyone willing to pick up hitchhikers.

Oh and be careful, I don't know about near you but in many places in the US hitchhiking is illegal, *especially* on highways/interstates.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

lazarus89

Postby lazarus89 » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:57 pm UTC

Tip 1: Don't.

And if you must, carry a knife (if you know how to use it), taser or mace.
pedant wrote:You drove your car off a cliff. Moments before your car hit the ground, I plugged you right between the eyes with a sniper rifle. Your car hits the ground and creates a dramatic fireball. How did you die?

Awesomely.

LE4dGOLEM
is unique......wait, no!!!!

Postby LE4dGOLEM » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:06 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Tip 1: Don't.

And if you must, carry a knife (but dear gods, only and ONLY if you know how to use it with godly skill), taser or mace.

fixed.
Image Une See Fights - crayon super-ish hero webcomic!
doogly wrote:It would just be much better if it were not shitty.

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:39 pm UTC

The most important rule of hitchhiking: don't forget your towel. You never know when it will be useful in any situation.
PRG

An important message for you:

22/7
I'm pretty sure I have "The Slavery In My Asshole" on DVD.

Postby 22/7 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:59 am UTC

The only time I've ever hitchhiked, it was on accident. I just got picked up by a couple of people when I ran out of gas. Didn't even have my thumb out. I'd definitely back up what these guys have said, though. I'm certainly not likely to pick up randoms on the side of the road, but if someone genuinely looks to be in distress, I'm more than willing to pick them up (and have, somewhat recently, in fact).
Totally not a hypothetical...

Steroid wrote:
bigglesworth wrote:If your economic reality is a choice, then why are you not as rich as Bill Gates?
Don't want to be.
I want to be!

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:08 am UTC

PatrickRsGhost wrote:The most important rule of hitchhiking: don't forget your towel. You never know when it will be useful in any situation.

Patrick wins the Internet :mrgreen:

fuschia

Postby fuschia » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:35 pm UTC

You're a guy? Take a girl with you! I hitchiked in the epic win threesome of cute girl who spoke the language fluently, cute-ish girl who spoke the language brokenly, and guy for the anti-rape factor. We never waited long to get picked up, it was joyous. But that was in Italy, maybe people are less paranoid there?

seawolf167

Postby seawolf167 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:26 pm UTC

fuschia wrote:You're a guy? Take a girl with you! I hitchiked in the epic win threesome of cute girl who spoke the language fluently, cute-ish girl who spoke the language brokenly, and guy for the anti-rape factor. We never waited long to get picked up, it was joyous. But that was in Italy, maybe people are less paranoid there?

Oh me yarm you are more right than you know. I was in Europe for quite a while with my sister and we hitchhiked everywhere. It seemed that Italy was by far the easiest place to get picked up... mainly as my sister could very easily get free rides/passes/etc to anywhere she wanted to go. (I guess the moral of the story is there are alot of older horny men in Italy...)

Back in the States however, it was relatively impossible to get a ride unless we were in the middle of no-where (75+ miles from a city center), in which case it seemed that the locals were generally more than willing to help someone out.
The Cake Wasn't a Lie!

z4lis

Postby z4lis » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:55 am UTC

seawolf167 wrote:Back in the States however, it was relatively impossible to get a ride unless we were in the middle of no-where (75+ miles from a city center), in which case it seemed that the locals were generally more than willing to help someone out.

This is because we assume that any given person has the potential to be a whack-job ready to cut someone. Out from the cities, people are generally less paranoid. Or maybe it's just me. Personally, I wouldn't hitchhike unless I was a) in a group or b) armed. However, if I'm armed and the driver knows it, I'll probably scare the piss out of him/her. :\
What they (mathematicians) define as interesting depends on their particular field of study; mathematical anaylsts find pain and extreme confusion interesting, whereas geometers are interested in beauty.

Wondrej

Postby Wondrej » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:58 am UTC

Amarantha wrote:
PatrickRsGhost wrote:The most important rule of hitchhiking: don't forget your towel. You never know when it will be useful in any situation.

damn I was about to wrote towel post, but 42-guys are everywhere
there was a light, then earth, then human, then simpsons, then futurama and then... sudenly xkcd apear!

Ptolom

Postby Ptolom » Sun Jun 29, 2008 12:35 pm UTC

Wondrej wrote:
Amarantha wrote:

damn I was about to wrote towel post, but 42-guys are everywhere

You'll never be further than 20m form one of us in a built up area :)

natraj

Postby natraj » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:45 pm UTC

lazarus89 wrote:Tip 1: Don't.

Bah. I am a 5'4", 90 lbs female-bodied person and I hitchhike allllllllll the time. The road is really not as full of axe-murdering psychopaths or rapists as horror movies would have you think.

Anyway. Don't try to hitchhike from the middle of town. Highway on-ramps are better even though you'll have to walk a bit sometimes to get to them. Don't try to hitchhike while carrying a huge load of stuff. Look sane and cleanish. Know where you're going.

I've rarely had problems getting rides (mostly in the US and India, a bit in Europe), but as I said -- 5'4", 90lbs, female-bodied. I have more problems in the South, but I am also not-white, and that is a strike against, there.
You want to know the future, love? Then wait:
I'll answer your impatient questions. Still --
They'll call it chance, or luck, or call it Fate,
The cards and stars that tumble as they will.

pronouns: they or he

Return to “XKCD Meetups”