Car Pooling

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

pandapandapie

Postby pandapandapie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

VTHodge wrote:
pandapandapie wrote:can only do so if someone can let me carpool with them around the city

What's wrong with public transportation? From what I hear, Boston's is pretty great.

That would be fine if I was familiar with any of it. I'll be stepping off that plane by myself with no knowledge of the city or its workings. Also I still need a place to sleep.

Ketzerei

Postby Ketzerei » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:43 pm UTC

You can take a (very accessible) bus from the airport to the red line, which stops at the meeting location and the park. In the same direction from the airport, even.
とても嬉しかったよ
君が笑い掛けてた
全てを溶かす微笑みで

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:47 pm UTC

panda, do not let lack of knowledge of Boston's public transportation stop you from coming! Go to the MBTA website and check it out. They even have a Trip Planner. If you plan on relying exclusively on the public transportation for any more than 8 rides over the weekend, definitely get a 7-day pass for $15.

Also, the airport has a local information kiosk with someone there to answer questions and help travelers.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

pandapandapie

Postby pandapandapie » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:panda, do not let lack of knowledge of Boston's public transportation stop you from coming! Go to the MBTA website and check it out. They even have a Trip Planner. If you plan on relying exclusively on the public transportation for any more than 8 rides over the weekend, definitely get a 7-day pass for $15.

Also, the airport has a local information kiosk with someone there to answer questions and help travelers.

Thanks, that site was really helpful. All I need is a place to sleep and I'll be set.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

The MBTA web site, which was formerly pretty awful and changed formats at the drop of a hat, at some point during the past year or two was completely overhauled. Now it has some of the things I always wanted it to have before, like a full system map, and the trip planner is improved.

Getting from the airport to the meetup spot is not that complicated via the MBTA. There are only rarely confusing "express" trains, the subway lines are sorted handily by color, and you won't have to deal with split lines (the green line divides in four to the east, and the red line in two to the south, but none of that affects transportation between airport, downtown, and meetup locations). You might have to ask someone (oh no!) who works at the airport for directions to the silver line stop outside the terminal (they will be simple, e.g. pointing and saying "it's right there").
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

pandapandapie wrote:I'm planning on taking a plane to Boston but can only do so if someone can let me carpool with them around the city

Why? Silver Line bus to Red Line subway to Davis Square, then 8 minute walk. See the "Directions" thread.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:53 pm UTC

Just putting this back out there, since it was on page one. I am coming from Hartford CT and can offer rides from there or anywhere along the way (will be coming up I-84 to Sturbridge, then I-90 through Worcester. May be willing to come via Springfield if need be).

I am undecided on heading up Fri night or Sat morning, this can be negotiated with riders. Probably leaving Sunday night, exactly when still to be determined.

Fair warning, assuming I get the heat working I'll be driving up in my Comet (the one on the left). Which scores high in the "looking cool" department, but fairly low in the "quiet ride" and "working radio" departments.

Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Pixel, if you have a power inverter and a cheap home stereo, you can at least make a temporary radio.

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:46 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:Pixel, if you have a power inverter and a cheap home stereo, you can at least make a temporary radio.

Car also doesn't have a cigarette lighter I'd trust to run any real power through. 45 year old wiring would make me nervous.
Some people have a genuine gift of poetry, a way with words that surpasses beauty and touches the deepest parts of one's soul... and some people, um, thingy.

"Less bite, more wobble"

AbNo

Postby AbNo » Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:20 am UTC

Pixel wrote:
AbNo wrote:Pixel, if you have a power inverter and a cheap home stereo, you can at least make a temporary radio.

Car also doesn't have a cigarette lighter I'd trust to run any real power through. 45 year old wiring would make me nervous.

Run some new wires!

Get some 14 gauge or lower wires from say, Autozone, attach them to your battery posts, clip it to the inside of the engine bay, either through the firewall or in through the door, and you're set!

Pixel

Postby Pixel » Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:12 pm UTC

AbNo wrote:Run some new wires!

Not a priority for me. Eventually the car will get a CD head unit hidden in the glove box, dual speakers hidden in the stock single-speaker dash grille and other upgrades. I don't care enough right now though to be bothered. There are higher priority things she needs first.

"Less bite, more wobble"

Return to “XKCD Meetups”