Chicago Meetup

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

BigNastyPointyTeethGrrr

Chicago Meetup

Postby BigNastyPointyTeethGrrr » Tue May 04, 2010 5:28 am UTC

Hey everyone....Just thinking of planning a meetup for XKCD fans in the Chicago area. We could meet somewhere downtown....honestly, im not sure exactly what we would do....cause if its just gonna be alot of people who just talk about how awsome XKCD is, and how many comics they've memorized, or how many hours a day they spend reading the comics...even i wouldn't want to go. We could structure it like a think tank, talk about love, philosphy and science, especially topics brought up in XKCD comics (see the connection :D )....id include math but im really bad at math.... :roll: other people may be more inclined and its not all about me anyway....uhhhh...if anyone has any interest go ahead and comment....cools

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Chicago Meetup

Postby PAstrychef » Tue May 11, 2010 5:21 pm UTC

How about an event with a few trashy Sci-Fi- flicks and some booze and eats? I know a few places where we could get some room for cheap. Or one of the fun tours of the city-like the river tours or the gangster tour or just a gastropub crawl?
Or an afternoon at one of the cheap buffet places.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

LSK

Postby LSK » Tue May 18, 2010 7:13 pm UTC

I organized a couple small meets last year in the Chicago area. The best places to meet are probably in the DePaul area, because it's accessible via the Brown and Red lines and closer to more communities that xkcd readers come from than downtown. Maybe a restaurant or the zoo?

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Thu May 20, 2010 11:09 pm UTC

How about the Southport bowling alley? It's right on the Brown line and it's a fun way to meet people-even if you don't drink white russians, Dude.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

LSK

Postby LSK » Sun May 23, 2010 9:10 pm UTC

I'd be all over that if we had more than 3 people.

Impulse97

Postby Impulse97 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:26 pm UTC

I'd go. Just a matter of when and where.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:Dude, everyone likes girls. Have you seen girls? Girls are hot!

The preceding sentence was made with good faith and good humor...

Trevor

Postby Trevor » Tue Jul 06, 2010 5:00 am UTC

I'm game as well
Sometimes when I'm sick, or feeling blue, I drink vinegar. I like all kinds: balsamic, vodka, orange juice, leaves.

Roberthree

Postby Roberthree » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:24 am UTC

Depends on when/where but I'm interested.

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:27 am UTC

I'd likely be down. Can't do weeknights but my weekends are generally pretty open. And I'd be driving in from the burbs so someplace with sufficient, non-pay parking is preferable.

I love bowling, and I suck at it, but I would like to go someplace that booze is an option... so I think it would be fun :)
Dark567 wrote:"Hey, I created a perpetual motion device"

"yeah, but your poster sucks. F-"

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:12 pm UTC

So Chi-town xkcd-ers, I will be hosting the Memorial Theobromas Bash at WindyCon this year. That's November 12th-14th, with the party happening Friday the 12th, sometime after 9PM.
You can come to the party without being a member of the Convention.
There will be chocolate! There will be whiskey for those of you who are old enough.
All are welcome!
Windycon info

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:31 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:So Chi-town xkcd-ers, I will be hosting the Memorial Theobromas Bash at WindyCon this year. That's November 12th-14th, with the party happening Friday the 12th, sometime after 9PM.
There will be chocolate! There will be whiskey for those of you who are old enough.
All are welcome!
Windycon info

Lombard is not at all far from me. But I'm looking at the con info page and I don't really get what it's about. Is it fairy tales, or just for people who consider themselves fay/fae? Will there be many people walking around with fairy wings on?

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:16 pm UTC

It's a fan-run SF/Fantasy Con. There will be people in fairy costumes, but there will be plenty of folks in tee-shirts and jeans, steampunk outfits, Star Trek uniforms, long stripy scarves and so on. I suspect most of the wings will be on people under the age of consent.
The theme is more to amuse the con committee than anything else. It helps keep the interest level up. After all, there have been lots and lots of WindyCons.
In 2012 we get WorldCon-just in time for the end of the world! (tee hee)

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:19 pm UTC

That sounds like a lot of fun. Would it be appropriate to bring along a friend who is a fan of xkcd (the comic) but doesn't have a forum account?

I'm a little confused as to where the party itself is. Is it a con afterparty? Is there an admission fee? Should I bmob?

Also I have to work until 11pm on Friday nights. If I showed up around 1130-midnight, would the party still be going on?

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:45 pm UTC

The party is being thrown by me and my friends. We can invite whomever we wish. The convention has lots of stuff going on, for which there is a membership fee. Our party is not part of that stuff. We will most assuredly be going strong between 11 and midnight, and might not close down until 2 or 3, depending on our stamina and the interest level of the attendees.
There will be other parties also going on, and most of them will also not care if you're a con member or not. People do go to cons as ghosts-hanging around to see friends and such, but not do anything "official". Party throwers WILL be checking IDs before giving out booze, so be sure to bring some if you want to drink.
WindyCon may or may not be selling one-day passes, it's gone back and forth over the years.
So come on down, bring a friend or two.

Enuja

Postby Enuja » Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

The idea of a Chicago meet-up is an attractive one to me, but this particular location looks difficult to get to on public transit, and (probably) impossible to get away from on public transit late on Friday night/early on Saturday morning. I can rent a car, but in this fantastically transit-oriented city, it just seems like too much bother and cash (I do have a Zipcar membership, but when the trip is more than a few hours, it's often cheaper to rent a car from regular rental place for a full day). It looks like the hotel is 3.6 miles south of the Lombard stop on the Union Pacific West Metra Line and 3.4 miles north of the Downer's Grove stop on the Burlington Northern Metra Line. I'm going to spend some time with the convention website (even though your party is open to non-registered folks, PAstrychef, a con I wanted to go to might make the difference between going to this party or not, esp. as sleeping in the hotel might be logistically smart) before I decide if I want to go, but I'm a definite "maybe". :wink:

If a number of non-car city folks want to rent a car, or if an in-city person wants to drive a carpool for PAstrychef's party, this would make this meetup much more accessible. I'm still thinking about it, but I might be willing to rent a car and drive a carload of folks to and from the party.

wmueller88

Postby wmueller88 » Mon Oct 18, 2010 8:25 pm UTC

Im new to this message board, but a Chicago or Milwaukee meetup sounds great

Interested in Early November, before the holidaze make us crazy busy?

W

wmueller88

Postby wmueller88 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:09 pm UTC

Windycon sounds great, I'll stop by on Fri night for sure :)

w

wmueller88

Postby wmueller88 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:48 pm UTC

PAstrychef wrote:So Chi-town xkcd-ers, I will be hosting the Memorial Theobromas Bash at WindyCon this year. That's November 12th-14th, with the party happening Friday the 12th, sometime after 9PM.
All are welcome!
Windycon info

I'll be there at about 930 at the Memorial Theobromas Bash with PAstrychef, hope you can join! PM me if you can help coordinate rides or need a ride

W

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:02 pm UTC

Enuja wrote:The idea of a Chicago meet-up is an attractive one to me, but this particular location looks difficult to get to on public transit, and (probably) impossible to get away from on public transit late on Friday night/early on Saturday morning.

Agreed. I'd love to do a meetup at some point somewhere easier to get to via public transport, like downtown or chinatown.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

wmueller88

Postby wmueller88 » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:23 pm UTC

How about a pre-party? Nov 12th somewhere in Chicago for dinner, and then, some people can go to the party after 9pm

meatyochre

Postby meatyochre » Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:33 pm UTC

I work second shift and can't do anything on a friday night unless it's well after midnight. sadface. can we schedule something for a saturday or sunday night?

Dark567
First one to notify the boards of Rick and Morty Season 3
Location: Everywhere(in the US, I don't venture outside it too often, unfortunately)

Postby Dark567 » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:08 am UTC

A Chicago meetup sounds awesome, but as others have pointed out, anything outside of public transit probably is going to be too hard for me. Weekends are best. I know it didn't take off last time, but I think bowling is a good option. An activity is always good, as a party or just going out with a bunch of people I don't really know seems like it could get awkward fast. Plus there would be booze.
I apologize, 90% of the time I write on the Fora I am intoxicated.

Yakk wrote:The question the thought experiment I posted is aimed at answering: When falling in a black hole, do you see the entire universe's future history train-car into your ass, or not?

PAstrychef

Postby PAstrychef » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:11 pm UTC

Cripey, it's been a long time since we tried this! I'm am now back on the north side. Anyone up for a beverage and some entertainment?

Vir4030

Postby Vir4030 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:50 am UTC

I'm always game for the Half Acre Brew Pub!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”