Entertain us - win a ticket

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

solarchem

Entertain us - win a ticket

Postby solarchem » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:59 am UTC

Here's the deal: I'll use my frequent flier miles to fly 1 person from anywhere in the continental US or Canada to Boston. Your job: prove to everyone here that you are most deserving. By that I mean, why would the meet-up not be the same without you?

The rules: Keep the messages short enough that we can read them without getting bored. Pictures, multimedia, whatever you need to do to make your case is OK.
I guess I'll pick my top 5 and then open it up to a vote to choose the ultimate winner. We'll take entries until the 13th of July, then a week of voting.

Let the games begin.
Last edited by solarchem on Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Never tell me the odds - Han Solo

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:03 am UTC

Good idea :o And how generous of you!
=]

fjafjan
THE fjafjan

Postby fjafjan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:59 am UTC

Damn, I am not inside North America

Solarchem, curse your zombie bones!
//Yepp, THE fjafjan (who's THE fjafjan?)
Liza wrote:Fjafjan, your hair is so lovely that I want to go to Sweden, collect the bit you cut off in your latest haircut and keep it in my room, and smell it. And eventually use it to complete my shrine dedicated to you.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:15 pm UTC

I will have to come back when it's NOT 8:17 a.m.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:36 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:I will have to come back when it's NOT 8:17 a.m.

Not much of a morning person bb?

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:07 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:

Oh, I'm great in the mornings...when I'm sleeping.

I like it when there's something exciting to do in the morning (like get on a plane, for instance :wink: ), but I'm more of a receiver than a transmitter.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:
solarchem wrote:

I like it when there's something exciting to do in the morning (like get on a plane, for instance :wink: ), but I'm more of a receiver than a transmitter.

You don't mind if I choose to interpret that in my own male oriented perverted way do you?

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:33 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:
solarchem wrote:

You don't mind if I choose to interpret that in my own male oriented perverted way do you?

I was thinking of when I lived in San Francisco and got up early for work and saw the buildings in the financial district all lit up with pink light from the sunrise. But, yeah, you can take it that way, too!

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:28 am UTC

So Hawaii doesn't count then? What If I made my way to LA?

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Fri Jun 22, 2007 11:03 am UTC

I can get you from LA and back. Basically I'm trying to keep this in the 25000 point range as opposed to 35K+ for Hawaii, Europe, etc.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:06 pm UTC

I still plan on crafting a lovely entry, but now I have the plague and am wearing fur on the inside of my skull.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:06 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:I still plan on crafting a lovely entry, but now I have the plague and am wearing fur on the inside of my skull.

Hope you feel better soon. Brew up a nice cup of tea and get some rest (if you can).

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Jun 26, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

Hey, can I post in increments?

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

You can do whatever you need to bookishbunny.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

Bookishbunny: you seem to be the only entrant so far anyway, so just say "hi" :)
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:41 pm UTC

Yeah, she's starting to look like a lock. But if she gets too complacent someone could swoop in at the end.

warhorse

Postby warhorse » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:49 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:someone could swoop in at the end.

Ah! The 'ol eBay sneak attack!
It's OK to be social, just don't tell anyone about it.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Tue Jun 26, 2007 8:54 pm UTC

warhorse wrote:
solarchem wrote:someone could swoop in at the end.

Ah! The 'ol eBay sneak attack!

Yup. There's not much incentive to posting early. Might as well wait until the end and see if you can steal it for minimal effort. But I think bookish will deserve extra credit for having the ovaries to step up first (assuming she does).

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

Yay! I will do my best!

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:10 pm UTC

Since I posted an interest in it before I guess I'll post an interest in it again.

*interest*

Time to figure out convincing post...

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:36 am UTC

How about this: I deserve it because I'm spending all my money on moving to Nova Scotia, and it seems a shame to travel 15,000km just to overshoot Boston by 700km...

Plus you need somebody to represent the Oceanians...

And I'm a mod, so I can delete any posts which disagree ;)

ArchangelShrike
Rodan's Title

Postby ArchangelShrike » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:38 pm UTC

I'm a Oceanian!

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

My first entry:

I can bring everybody attending the meet-up lovely paper cranes made by moi!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:18 pm UTC

I could bring a large collection of teeny-tiny cranes made out of bubble gum wrappers, just to show up bookishbunny...
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:21 pm UTC

Helpful hint- do not bring gifts for everyone, especially if they're decorative, if you'll be sad to see them thrown away, trampled on, or otherwise discarded.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:41 pm UTC

I will also not engage in a negative ad campaign.

However, it should be noted, I make earrings out if tiny ones, so I am well versed in the art.

So, I will bring cranes IF REQUESTED by other attendees.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:44 pm UTC

Helpful hint- do not bring gifts for everyone, especially if they're decorative, if you'll be sad to see them thrown away, trampled on, or otherwise discarded

At large functions where no one knows each other, this is very true.

At this sort of thing......

If someone goes to the effort of creating something and giving it to you, and you accept it with the intention of throwing it away....expect raptor attacks.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

Entry number deux:

According to mapquest, I live 965.65 mile away from Boston, so I will not use up all of your miles, Mr. Solarchem! This map illustrates my point (and it has a cute bunny, you know, to remind you):

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Helpful hint- do not bring gifts for everyone, especially if they're decorative, if you'll be sad to see them thrown away, trampled on, or otherwise discarded

If someone goes to the effort of creating something and giving it to you, and you accept it with the intention of throwing it away....expect raptor attacks.
Especially if one has nowhere to put it, the novelty wears off quickly. At the last gathering I went to where someone handed out cranes, I was one of the people who folded it flat and stuck it in a pocket, and didn't throw it away until I got home. Most other people managed to "lose" theirs while still there.

Belial
A terrible sound heard from a distance

Postby Belial » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

Especially if one has nowhere to put it, the novelty wears off quickly.

The key there is not to take one.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:05 pm UTC

Ahh, but proximity to Massachusetts does not matter to me. 25000 frequent flier miles will get 1 roundtrip ticket to Boston, regardless if said ticket originates in New York or Vancouver.

In fact, someone from farther away could make a better argument for needing the freebie.

*checking orbitz*

Well, I was going to say you could make the appeal based on price, but from your map I'd say Greenville is your airport and a ticket from there is only $288 versus $444 from Vancouver (as a hypothetical West coast option), so I guess you lose on that one too.

It looks like your case will need to built on what you bring (goodies, personality, etc.)to the party. I can't speak for everyone who will be voting, but my friend Catherine would eat the crane and I don't have pierced ears.

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Belial wrote:
Especially if one has nowhere to put it, the novelty wears off quickly.

The key there is not to take one.
Ah. My experience is with someone handing it out, rather than there being a supply that people could get them from if they wanted to. That way, not taking one makes you look worse than discretely discarding it, as you need to reject the person's gift to their face, instead of doing it when they're not looking.

[edit]
Ahh, but proximity to Massachusetts does not matter to me.
I think the point was the bunny with wings.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:09 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
Belial wrote:

Especially if one has nowhere to put it, the novelty wears off quickly. At the last gathering I went to where someone handed out cranes, I was one of the people who folded it flat and stuck it in a pocket, and didn't throw it away until I got home. Most other people managed to "lose" theirs while still there.

Don't they have any parades in your neck of the woods you could tinkle on? They're just paper, for Heaven's sake (and actually do flatten out nicely for transport/storage). I wouldn't mind knocking out a few dozen for the xkcders.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:15 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:Ahh, but proximity to Massachusetts does not matter to me. 25000 frequent flier miles will get 1 roundtrip ticket to Boston, regardless if said ticket originates in New York or Vancouver.

In fact, someone from farther away could make a better argument for needing the freebie.

*checking orbitz*

Well, I was going to say you could make the appeal based on price, but from your map I'd say Greenville is your airport and a ticket from there is only $288 versus $444 from Vancouver (as a hypothetical West coast option), so I guess you lose on that one too.

It looks like your case will need to built on what you bring (goodies, personality, etc.)to the party. I can't speak for everyone who will be voting, but my friend Catherine would eat the crane and I don't have pierced ears.

I wasn't going to bring earring-sized ones, but the larger ones made from 6" squares. The earring ones really would be too hard to get together (they take forever with the paper I use).

If cost is an issue, keep in mind I can afford $0 in flight money with the other travel expenses involved (food, etc.). In fact, if I won, I was going to see about cheap rooms in the area and getting costs of the beer fest ahead of time (who mentioned the beer-fest in the other thread?). I can Priceline some very sweet deals on lodging.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

Did you say beer?

Now you have my interest.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

The one in Boston on the 22nd!!! I know nothing else about it, though. I mean, how much could tickets possible be?!?

answer: $1 Million

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:The one in Boston on the 22nd!!! I know nothing else about it, though. I mean, how much could tickets possible be?!?

German Beer fest. Session 1 is in the afternoon, session 2 is the better bet at 6-9pm. Tickets are $40 and limited to 1000 per session.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:44 pm UTC

solarchem wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:The one in Boston on the 22nd!!! I know nothing else about it, though. I mean, how much could tickets possible be?!?

German Beer fest. Session 1 is in the afternoon, session 2 is the better bet at 6-9pm. Tickets are $40 and limited to 1000 per session.

Well, I would only want to go if other xkcders go, too. If we can't, I suggest us all finding a really great beer store and each picking up our favorites and sharing. It would be our own Beer Fest!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:45 pm UTC

Ren's reason for winning ticket: My birthday is on the 22nd.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

OCR

Postby OCR » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:50 pm UTC

If quality beer in the Boston area is an aim for xkcd'ers, I would suggest the Publik House in Brookline. It's T accessible. There are a number of other pubs that have a quality selection of beer though. I wouldn't mind if visiting one of these places was an official or unofficial weekend activity by any means.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”