Entertain us - win a ticket

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:52 pm UTC

Pub Crawl!!!

If Ren doesn't win, I'll but her a beer or two for her b-day.
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:53 pm UTC

bookishbunny wrote:Pub Crawl!!!

If Ren doesn't win, I'll but her a beer or two for her b-day.

I recommend the Pour House. Half-price burgers on Saturday nights.

You'll spend three bucks, tops, on a quality burger.
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:46 am UTC

Double post, but they're hours about; I think it's fair.

Bunny, I see your cranes...and raise you CLONES!

Image[/url]
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"

SpitValve
Not a mod.

Postby SpitValve » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:43 am UTC

solarchem wrote:In fact, someone from farther away could make a better argument for needing the freebie.

Hello! Coming from New Zealand here! :P

joshdrilling

Postby joshdrilling » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:31 am UTC

First, I'm interestingly tall, and play music for you and all your friends. Second, I have a mustache and sideburns. Third, a briefcase of pending notes regarding muon endcaps. And, fifth, I like Daniel Johnston. Eighth, I can recite the alphabet backwards in up to four languages. Thirteenth, I went to Germany when I was a junior on an exchange program and was willed into joining an amateur boxing club where I fought once and got sent to the hospital with a concussion.

How's that for interesting?

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:44 am UTC

This is my bid to get into the top 5.
http://www.baynhamtyers.com/contraption_video.html

I probably won't attend, for financial reasons, but i expect there are others who will be more worthy.
Last edited by arbivark on Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:22 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:43 am UTC

solarchem wrote:
bookishbunny wrote:I still plan on crafting a lovely entry, but now I have the plague and am wearing fur on the inside of my skull.

Hope you feel better soon. Brew up a nice cup of tea and get some rest (if you can).

I swear you folks bring up tea just to spite me!
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

TheDragon

Postby TheDragon » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:39 am UTC

Because I take pictures while swinging in 40 degree weather.

That, and everyone needs to have that guy around that makes them glad they aren't him. :)

!

Postby ! » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:45 am UTC

I make a mean Dutch spicebread. By mean I mean delicious to the point that everybody I have ever shared it with has wanted to eat a lot of it and obtain the recipe. (I'll share the recipe if it gets me good will points for the ticket, otherwise you'll have to let me win in order to taste it)

I am also in the works of learning some poi, though I am by all definitions an amature.

In my leisure time I am a student of physics and chemistry. Wait... that is my livelihood. Though I enjoy it as if it weren't a menial task. My desire to have conversations on these grounds should give me more awesome points, methinks.

I don't *win* for distance per se, but a drive from Calgary, Alberta would be a long one.

This is me and some friends on last day if high school. The alleged computer jedi. I am the audience's far right.

TheTankengine
Our Fora-father

Postby TheTankengine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 3:25 pm UTC

I would like to enter!

I can't make cranes, but I have made several dodecagon calendars! Unfortunately, I have no pics at the moment. They are, however, incredibly inconvenient and rather useless as calendars.

I am just shy of 1000 miles away.

From the first post in the official xkcd Spetember meetup thread:
Anmorata wrote:I've been given the go-ahead by TheTankengine to post about this, so here's a thread that can serve as the official thread, if need be.

Hey! I'm TheTankengine!

I also offer to buy many beers/dinner for solarchem. If others are sufficiently awesome, I shall buy them beers/dinner. If you can save me ~$277, I will definitely not be stingy.

I bake some damn good homemade chocolate chip cookies, too!

Other reasons why I am so awesome to come as they pop in my head.
be centered
be compassionate
be interesting

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:40 pm UTC

TheTankengine wrote:I would like to enter!

I also offer to buy many beers/dinner for solarchem. If others are sufficiently awesome, I shall buy them beers/dinner. If you can save me ~$277, I will definitely not be stingy.

I bake some damn good homemade chocolate chip cookies, too!

Other reasons why I am so awesome to come as they pop in my head.

Cookies and beer! Two of my favorite things.
Never tell me the odds - Han Solo

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:28 am UTC

i can bake (or buy) you cookies, i will buy you beer, and i will present you with 1000 white origami cranes (very very small ones, and THAT is hard) upon my arrival. which means i need to get folding now. laterfolksihavepapertoplaywith.

i might also beable to crochet you an amigurumi doll or two, if i find suitable yarn and some extra time.

iam not entertaining, untili am drunk, but i am not above bribery either.

*edit* i'm really tired of cranes, so i'll have to retract my original offer of 1000, unless you'll take installments. also, i'm out of paper.

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

floyd4one

Postby floyd4one » Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:56 am UTC

Ren wrote:Ren's reason for winning ticket: My birthday is on the 22nd.

Mine is on the 23rd. Really!

EDIT: removed promise that couldn't be kept. back to the drawing board.

Posalootly

My reason: Love

Postby Posalootly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:00 am UTC

Okay, okay, so I know I don't get a whole lot of credibility since this is my first post on here, but I'm hoping that you guys will consider me as an equal (please?)

My plea is this: that you give the ticket to the boy I love so I can meet him there in September. We both went to college in Rochester, NY last year; it was our first year there for both of us (mine as a freshman, his as a transfer student). We quickly became really close friends, adventure buddies, confidences to one another, and, by the end of the year, fell in love.

This would be great, except that he's transferring back home and will go to Cleveland State while I will stay at RIT. My parents live in Baltimore, so there's really no "home base" for us to maintain a real relationship, and we both realize this, although it breaks our hearts to say so.

We need to have one last adventure together, and I think this is the answer.

Neither of us have a car or much money (although we're both working full time, it's difficult to try to save money for college and have enough left over to travel). I'm lucky enough to be able to carpool with friends to the event in September, but I fear he won't be able to make it unless he stumbles across some divine intervention.

We both really like xkcd, believe in the lessons and life views it shows us, and embrace the idea of silliness as a necessity in life. Ideally, once we're both out of school, I'll win him back with a surprise apartment full of playpen balls.

So, that's my plea. I hope it wasn't too long or pathetic, but that's all I've got. :/ Well, and this video of us, which should give you some more insight into who we are and teach you a fun game! I think you'll like us; I know we like you. http://www.vimeo.com/192667

(Also, he doesn't know about this! So, please don't tell him if you happen to know him. :X)

!

Postby ! » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:33 am UTC

Are the top 5 yet being chosen?

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:35 am UTC

I didn't see this thread until now.... DAMMIT!!!!!!!!!!

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:59 am UTC

Quick! Engage in a serious of poorly-planned and worse-implemented hijinks!
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:01 am UTC

I'll bring Canadian beer?

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:39 pm UTC

Beer seems to be a popular option here.
I'll give people a few more days, mostly because I've been too busy to sort out the top 5. But I'll go through all the entries by the end of the week.

I must say, the entries are not terribly impressive. This was something of a social experiment and I pretty much got the response I expected. So many people who say they'd love to go, but when given the opportunity to do so by exerting some effort they don't follow through.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:49 pm UTC

Reasons Why I Should Win This Jazz

1. When given a pen and a piece of paper, I can write interesting poetry. If I were at the meetup, I would be sure to write a multi-versed limerick/haiku concerning such.

2. I am a very useful Scrabble player.

3. I would participate in Calvinball, Princess Bride showings, Karaoke, kite-flying, food-eating, and all manner of shenanigans.

4. I do not photograph well. You should let me come so you can see me in person.

5. I will bring my oboe and whip off some Metamorphoses for y'all.

6. I am an American and a Canadian, and can therefore translate. *wink*

7. I am easy to pick out in a crowd.

8. I am a poor, struggling student.

9. I like penguins.

10. I want to meet y'all!
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:53 pm UTC

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Ladies and gents, our first finalist: Ren

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:02 pm UTC

There is a chance I'll be in a show by then. I'm dropping out for now. But just for the record, I used to be your favorite... :cry:
~Some people are like Slinkies - not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you push them down the stairs.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:08 pm UTC

Oh, you still are bb. It's hard not to feel sorry for Canadians though. They're just so cute - like puppies or something.

Well, as much as I'd like to see you make it to Boston, here's hoping the show works out for you.

bookishbunny

Postby bookishbunny » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:13 pm UTC

Thanks! The director just asked if I would be available if nobody else he likes for the role shows up. I didn't audition, but he thinks I'd look good in a unitard. Hey! That can be a selling point for the contest!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:38 pm UTC

This September, the fine folks at xkcd.com are holding a little get-together;
a shindig, a doo-wop, a bunfight, a celebration, and yours truly wants to attend...
which brings us to tonight's word.

Mighty Jalapeno! Now, a party of nerds, geeks, dorks, eccentrics, oddballs, whackos,
fruitcakes, and fascinating physical and intellectual anomalies just wouldn't be complete
without someone to remind them that they could all be much, much worse off, and
that's imporant for so many reasons.

It's true that Mighty Jalapeno hasn't been on the forums very long, and despite
his excellent grammar and skillful posting, he is still just a newbie.

He may not know as much about math and science as some of the elder xkcdians either,
since he spent most of his time in college learning more realistically important and
career-minded things.

But there is one thing that Mighty Jalapeno has that few other forumites possess...

... and that is life experience. He has a pregnant wife, two kids, a mortgage,
and an ulcer, and those are things you can't get while studying to be a mathematician
or a rocket scientist.

Mighty Jalapeno needs this trip. The farthest he's ever travelled is Mississauga,
scenic gateway to Guelph, and that was spent stuck in the back of an Aerostar
reading Xanth novels.

He's going to bring a buttload of kickass stuff, too, assuming he can bring it on the airplane!
He's got a nice bass / amp / pedal setup, and a pretty little Dell laptop loaded to the gills
with music and movies. He might not be able to bring beer on an airplane, but he can bring
smoked salmon, buffalo steaks, Carribbean red peppers, and, of course, his personal
stash of win.

He'll also be holding lectures on a variety of interesting topics in his field of expertise,
namely green architecture, sustainable development, personal organic food gardening,
and other subjects for the individual home.

His wife will also be coming, if the supplied air-miles can supplement all the air-miles
that they've built up over the years. This would be their first vacation together
without kids in the history of the Universe, and whenever there's a first like that, you know
you wanna be there. She enjoys knitting Klein bottles, Sid Meier games, and chubby
nerdy geeks.

So the choice is clear, ladies and gentlemen. You can go with the dweeb with the stormtroopers,
or the tempermental actress, or any of the other mediocre forumites who didn't care
enough to fire up Photoshop and go to town with copyrighted material... or you can think
about what you really need to spice up a good party.

And that's The Word.

Last edited by Mighty Jalapeno on Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

!

Postby ! » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:31 pm UTC

Applauded, on my part. That was good.

But seriously now, how could you pass up a poi show? Given the two months ahead to practice I could totally whip my moves into shape. Possibly even get some flaming poi, at the very least I will have glowsticks.
The following time lapse photo doesn't depict me, but it might give you an idea...

Also for being Canadian I can bring a possibly awkward accent into the conversation, as well as the most delicious spice bread you've ever tasted (for reiteration).

Would also bring the expanded Settlers Of Catan if there is significant interest.

And honestly now, if you can save me $500+ CAD then I'd me more than willing to entreat your desires out of my own pocket.

Plus ye old acoustic guitar of course.

If there is more desired of the winner beyond what I've offered here, I would be glad to provide should I be able.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:33 pm UTC

I just saw my ratings drop.
Damn.

EDIT: That said, !, I thought we were going to carpool? Road trip? It was going to cost us less than $500. Assuming we can find someone to rent the van.
Last edited by Ren on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:35 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
As the Arbiter of Everything, Everything Sucks

Postby (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:34 pm UTC

Can I VOTE for MJ to win? I really need to sit down for a beer with this dude.
Heyyy baby wanna kill all humans?

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:07 pm UTC

Let it be known that I am the dweeb with the stormtroopers and wasn't actually entering; rather, I was being a smartass and trying to upstage bb. :D

Great work, Jalapeno. Quite a bit of stealth snickering for me at the workplace. (Fucking XANTH reference ftw.)

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:09 pm UTC

Meaux_Pas wrote:Can I VOTE for MJ to win? I really need to sit down for a beer with this dude.

That made my day. :)

Well, if we have no kids, I am up for car-tripping it, even though I'm on the WST COAST OF THE CONTINENT. If we're picking up anyone frm BC to help cover costs, it'd make it easier, and pretty sweet, too.

ZeroSum
Cooler than Jeff

Postby ZeroSum » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:27 pm UTC

MJ is win. Sorry, poi is cool, but MJ put so much effort into an xkcd-style funny.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:21 pm UTC

First off, I'd like to put in my vote for MJ. I do not live in BC, I can drive to Boston in less than a day, and there are several people who have expressed interest in road-tripping with me.

That said, my competitiveness has spurred me on to scan some doodles. So here is Ren's case--with the help of The Bunny.

2. I am a very useful Scrabble player.

3. I would participate in Calvinball, Princess Bride showings, Karaoke, kite-flying, food-eating, and all manner of shenanigans.Image

4. I do not photograph well. You should let me come so you can see me in person.

5. I will bring my oboe and whip off some Metamorphoses for y'all.

6. I am an American and a Canadian, and can therefore translate. *wink* Image

7. I am easy to pick out in a crowd.

8. I am a poor, struggling student. Image

9. I like penguins.

NOTE: Apologies to Huw Davies.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:23 pm UTC

Point number 6 was amazing.

SWEET! MORE QUALITY COMPETITION PLZ!

Mighty Jalapeno

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:32 pm UTC

I knew this would happen :( Now all the entries are gonna kick my ass.

To the victor go the spoils! I'll keep the freshes.

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:24 pm UTC

To Ren and MJ: Nicely done.

My wife is still trying to figure out what is making me laugh so hard while on the computer.

Finalist slots #2 and #3 have clearly been claimed.

meta

Postby meta » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:51 pm UTC

Metamorphoses, Calvinball, and Scrabble...!!! I would vote for Ren, but I'd much rather roadtrip with her.

!

Postby ! » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:00 am UTC

Ren wrote:I just saw my ratings drop.
Damn.

EDIT: That said, !, I thought we were going to carpool? Road trip? It was going to cost us less than $500. Assuming we can find someone to rent the van.

Well, thing is, I live in Calgary, Alberta. If I road trip with you guys, that means I'm still buying a plane ticket to London and then road tripping it. Which allows me to spend a couple days with the fam in London, but a direct flight from Calgary means more money saved, and less school missed.

But let's see who wins the contest first. Poi is cool.... but is it enough to compete?

heck, I'll bring some extra poi to go around, teach you guys some moves and let you take them home.

!

Postby ! » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:30 am UTC

solarchem wrote:To Ren and MJ: Nicely done.

My wife is still trying to figure out what is making me laugh so hard while on the computer.

Finalist slots #2 and #3 have clearly been claimed.

Who holds slot #1?

solarchem

Postby solarchem » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:56 am UTC

Oh, there are only 2 so far: Ren and MJ.

My earlier post counting Ren a second time is what happens when you attempt to post while also pretending to listen to your wife describe the most lovely pair of sandals she is thinking of buying.

Edit: Almost forgot, Mississagua? I used to go there all the time when I was developing stuff for the auto industry. Not exactly what I would describe as a vacation destination.
Last edited by solarchem on Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:47 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:46 pm UTC

I'm #1 and #3? Sweet!

(Kidding, guys. Kidding.)

Return to “XKCD Meetups”