Other ACTIVITIES

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

I didn't know it until just now, but apparently there are two different Theatre of Electricity shows at the Museum of Science. The other one, Lightning!, takes place only on weekends.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

Right, the Lightning! show is what you want.

I volunteer at the Museum of Science so I can give you the lowdown on a few things. For one thing, I've seen all the planetarium shows. They're not bad as planetariums go, but except for The Sky Tonight, they make very little use of the star projector: mostly it's a slide/movie projector on a domed screen.

Also, be aware that the museum exhibit halls close at 5pm, which is kind of lame. September is a slow month for museums in general. If you go on Saturday it should be somewhat attended, depending on the weather, but if you go on Monday expect a ghost town.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:54 pm UTC

What is the difference between the two electricity shows?

It looks like the museum is open late on Friday evenings.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:03 pm UTC

Both shows make full use of the Van de Graff generator. The difference is what they talk about leading up to it. I think Electricity is more about electrodynamic theory - electrons and stuff - and Lightning! is more about storm safety. They should both be sufficiently entertaining. I think Electricity is the one where they get a kid on stage to hold a fluorescent light tube and have it glow?

This is shutdown week at the museum. I see the Human Body Connection is closed today, and the whole museum I know is closed on Wednesday. I don't know if there's anything shutting down on the weekend, but maybe it's a possibility.

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:21 pm UTC

Davis Square Rocks wrote:I didn't know it until just now, but apparently there are two different Theatre of Electricity shows at the Museum of Science. The other one, Lightning!, takes place only on weekends.

In light of new information, I propose the following MoS itinerary:

Noon: Lightning!
1:30: Far, Far Away: The Worlds of Star Wars
2:20 to 5:00: XKCD in the general exhibit halls.
Post-5:00: Some sort of food, preferably including beer and bacon.
Last edited by hendusoone on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

T

Postby T » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:50 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:
Davis Square Rocks wrote:I didn't know it until just now, but apparently there are two different Theatre of Electricity shows at the Museum of Science. The other one, Lightning!, takes place only on weekends.

In light of new information, I propose the following MoS itinerary:

Noon: Lightning!
1:30: Far, Far Away: The Worlds of Star Wars
2:20 to 5:00: XKCD in the general exhibit halls.
Post-5:00: Some sort of food, preferably including beer and bacon.

That sounds jolly interesting. Assuming I emerge from my jet lag coma in time I could be tempted by that.
A journey of 3,500 miles begins with a single comic.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

LSC just announced their weekend schedule (or at least, I just got the email):

The Lives of Others - Friday 7pm and 10pm, and Sunday 7pm
Live Free or Die Hard - Saturday 7pm and 10pm, and Sunday 10pm

More information on their website: http://lsc.mit.edu/

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:22 pm UTC

I just realized that I neglected to mention that I am hitting the museum on Saturday. I will be wearing a light blue t-shirt with something to do with Hartwick College Swimming/Diving on the front and STAFF on the back, and wandering the computer room next to the Van de Graaff room prior to Lightning.

EDIT: Well, I did mention Saturday, but that was in my previous post :?
Jack Saladin wrote:Humanities salvation relies on us sending the Earth into a giant black hole.

T

Postby T » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:34 pm UTC

hendusoone wrote:I just realized that I neglected to mention that I am hitting the museum on Saturday. I will be wearing a light blue t-shirt with something to do with Hartwick College Swimming/Diving on the front and STAFF on the back, and wandering the computer room next to the Van de Graaff room prior to Lightning.

EDIT: Well, I did mention Saturday, but that was in my previous post :?

I'll be wearing one of my three XKCD shirts, probably the "Stand back, I'm going to try science" one; it seems the most appropriate choice for the venue.

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

Cross-posting to spread the word(s):

Alright then. The current plan between Sarah (the gf) and I is to be at the museum at 10-10:30am Sunday morning (the day of the meet-up) and to stay for at least a couple hours. I will be wearing a brown Penny-Arcade t-shirt (this one):Image

If you see me, by all means approach me and we can chat it up and wander the museum together. The more the merrier. Otherwise it'll just be me and the girl which is fine too.

Damn is this exciting!

(P.S. you can contact me through Facebook or just use it to see what Sarah and I look like.)

cymon

Postby cymon » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:55 am UTC

Just a request from someone who can't come, please take pictures? Also, is this going to become a yearly event? That would be so awesome!

I hate being young sometimes.

H.E.L.e.N.
Cheesy-tuna-bacon-pickle?

Postby H.E.L.e.N. » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:40 am UTC

Davis Square Rocks wrote:Here's an event on the Charles River, near Harvard Square, to celebrate the autumnal equinox on Sunday, September 23:

RiverSing 2007. The event includes a parade of bands, starting at 5:45 pm.

That sounds really neat.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:27 pm UTC

Just a reminder: Museum of Science!

Hendusoone will be at the noon Lightning! show.

I will show up for the planetarium a bit before 1:30.

Be there or have four equal sides and a right angle, ha ha ha that's funny, I am so funny.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

T

Postby T » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:40 pm UTC

I'm in the Museum of Science right now, with Bakemaster and hendusoone.

Where's everyone else?

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

I was in synagogue. But when I wandered over to the park a few minutes ago, I saw a few people sitting around or walking around taking photos, who appeared to be xkcd fans. I also went there briefly around 1 am today and ran into a few others.

T

Postby T » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

hendusoone and I will be heading from the Science Museum for food around 5pm or so, should anyone wish to come along.

Meet at the R2D2 mailbox at the front entrance.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

T, hendusoone and I proved our leet-haxor-ness at the museum. There are even pics to prove it happened! I don't have them on me. Later.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:21 am UTC

Not just pics... also video. I would put them up now, but I do not have my MicroSD reader here to transfer 'em off my phone (I am currently in the basement of some tabletop game square near Davis Square, using a Windows ME computer for $2/hour. I'm not actually using Windows ME, though... remote desktop into my computer at home).

Do not worry, nothing malicious was done. We just left a message saying hello, and opened IE to The Difference, and returned the computer to its natural state. This was at a kiosk in the same room as the giant Van de Graaff generator.

Just wait until you see the interface device we were forced to work with!

T

Postby T » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:35 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:Just wait until you see the interface device we were forced to work with!

I suspect as a kiosk machine it's reset each day anyway.

http://forums.xkcd.com/gallery2.php?g2_itemId=17169

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:38 am UTC

T wrote:
hendusoone wrote:Just wait until you see the interface device we were forced to work with!

ZOMG. I have been to that exact kiosk, following a lightning show.

That's actually not such a zomg moment, but it's still pretty cool.

hendusoone

Postby hendusoone » Sun Sep 23, 2007 2:39 am UTC

T wrote:

Yes, that is very likely. I will still check this kiosk the next time I'm there!

Return to “XKCD Meetups”