Other ACTIVITIES

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

!

Postby ! » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

meta wrote:May I suggest staging a performance of Terry Riley's In C?

Is it too difficult for an average player to sightread? Or, is there any way I could get my hands on a cheap copy beforehand?

Also, if you don't chance through the entertaining for free ticket thread, I and practicing up my poi skills and could put on a little show for you guys. I will try as hard as I can to get fire poi... otherwise I'll just use glowsticks. But it will be sweet.

We could also go stargazing... a favourite pasttime of my own.

rivenwanderer

Postby rivenwanderer » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:59 pm UTC

There's a nifty Somerville-based chocolatier called Taza with really yummy and interesting chocolate (made with a different process than most chocolate out there, that leaves a lot of the cocoa bean flavor intact).

It's a bit of a walk, but if they have an open house that weekend (I know they're having one in September but I don't know what day), it might be neat to take a tour before/after the meetup...
purple shiny?

meta

Postby meta » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:39 pm UTC

! wrote:

Is it too difficult for an average player to sightread? Or, is there any way I could get my hands on a cheap copy beforehand?

Reading the score isn't the difficult part of performing this piece; the phrases are pretty simple. The challenge is in putting them together, so to speak. See for yourself: http://www.otherminds.org/SCORES/InC.pdf

!

Postby ! » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:24 am UTC

meta wrote:Reading the score isn't the difficult part of performing this piece; the phrases are pretty simple. The challenge is in putting them together, so to speak. See for yourself: http://www.otherminds.org/SCORES/InC.pdf

dude.... I'm so in. on trumpet.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:32 pm UTC

rivenwanderer wrote:There's a nifty Somerville-based chocolatier called Taza with really yummy and interesting chocolate (made with a different process than most chocolate out there, that leaves a lot of the cocoa bean flavor intact).

It's a bit of a walk, but if they have an open house that weekend (I know they're having one in September but I don't know what day), it might be neat to take a tour before/after the meetup...

HA! SO that's the stuff they just started selling in Deisel.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

skyo

Postby skyo » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:28 am UTC

In C sounds like fun. I might be able to join on piano. But that assumes we have access to a piano (or multiple pianos if other pianists are playing?)
floop.

saxmaniac1987
Can't spell sex

Postby saxmaniac1987 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:52 am UTC

well you can get 7 different pianists on one piano for that song...

meta

Postby meta » Sun Jul 22, 2007 2:56 am UTC

skyo wrote:In C sounds like fun. I might be able to join on piano. But that assumes we have access to a piano (or multiple pianos if other pianists are playing?)

electric keyboard, anyone?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:03 am UTC

As I said in the other thread, I have a keyboard available as long as someone else supplies amp/speakers.

c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:43 pm UTC

Man, karaoke would be awesome.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:53 pm UTC

YES, YES IT WOULD BE.

Karaoke seconded. And I promise I'll sing something crazy, like Mariah Carey's "Fantasy" which I happen to have a soft spot for.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

MFHodge

Postby MFHodge » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:59 pm UTC

I'm in like Flynn.

Wake me up before you go-go
Don't leave me hangin' on like a yo-yo . . .

Alioth

Postby Alioth » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:07 am UTC

! wrote:Also, if you don't chance through the entertaining for free ticket thread, I and practicing up my poi skills and could put on a little show for you guys. I will try as hard as I can to get fire poi... otherwise I'll just use glowsticks. But it will be sweet.

We could also go stargazing... a favourite pasttime of my own.

Ooh! Ooh! Poi! Yes please!

...I'm a fellow poier, but just beginning and not any good yet, so hoping to pick up tips as well as enjoy the eye candy.

Also, yay for stargazing.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Mmm... I wish I could get my X to come, he does fire poi.

As far as karaoke goes, I don't really know much about the "scene" in Boston. I've been out for it once at this place called "lime light studios" on boylston street, but that was kind of packed, and pretty much you only got up to sing once. Anyone else know? I was really hopping someone could just bring their karaoke stuff to the park.

I also think we really need to get a license on this park for that date. I think for a group this big, we really need to inform the po po and such.

Alisto
Crazy like a BOX!

Postby Alisto » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:20 pm UTC

I love me some karaoke.
Bad grammar makes me [sic].
Crazy like a BOX!
<Jauss> Because karaoke, especially karaoke + lesbians = Alisto, amirite?
<rachel> Old people ain't got shit to do but look at clocks.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:03 pm UTC

OOO!!! i cant sing! but i will sing the hell out of something! after some beer!

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:J. P. Licks killed Denise's.

Actually, Denise and her husband moved to Columbus, Ohio, where they have reopened the shop. They sold the Davis Square store to JP Licks.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:35 pm UTC

richlayers wrote:Kite flying, perhaps???

Danehy Park in Cambridge, an excellent place to fly a kite, is about a half-mile walk from our meeting point. It is built on a former landfill and has treeless, artificial hills.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:13 am UTC

Davis Square Rocks wrote:
Bakemaster wrote:J. P. Licks killed Denise's.

Actually, Denise and her husband moved to Columbus, Ohio, where they have reopened the shop. They sold the Davis Square store to JP Licks.

You and your facts. Townie ire does not listen to reason.
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:21 pm UTC

meta wrote:
CreemyNougat wrote:Calvinball, anyone?

YES

i second the motion!! Calvinball rules applied to anything make it just that much more fun...

i'm enough of a word-nerd to tell you (from experience, no less) that Calvinball rules speed-Scrabble rocks.

...it's okay to laugh at me, everybody does! :wink:
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Sandry
My cheese is pants?

Postby Sandry » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:43 pm UTC

This suggestion a) scares the fuck out of me, b) would be so hardcore awesome geektastic.

I am so torn.

Also, would so be in on the karaoke, and would regret it later. :P
He does not spout ever more, new stupidities. He "diversifies his wrongness portfolio."
(My pronouns are She/Her/Hers)

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:31 pm UTC

Lesse, list of events to organize:

1.) Kite flying (no organization necessary although I should probably bring kites to sell ;P)

2.) Tape-measure competition

3.) Mornington Crescent Double Switch XKCD Championship

4.) Velociraptor Survival Lecture

Hmm....
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:04 pm UTC

oh yes, there should definitely be a tape measure comp. and kite flying is undeniably going to occur. My skippy will probably bring the trebuchet. Unfortunately you'll have to go into his bed room to get to the ball pitt.

BRING YOUR KITES

BRING YOUR TAPE MEASURES

skyo

Postby skyo » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:18 am UTC

For anyone who wants to hang out on the Friday night prior, the Museum of Science has a stargazing night at their observatory from 8:30-10pm. Exhibit halls are also open till 9pm on Friday.
floop.

meta

Postby meta » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:46 am UTC

Sandry wrote:

This suggestion a) scares the fuck out of me, b) would be so hardcore awesome geektastic.

Key word(s) here are hardcore awesome geektastic

Fusilliban

Postby Fusilliban » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

This is *not* the kind of dorkiness I was thinking about.

Now to find a way to combine the two.

decenturbanlifestyle

photos anyone?

Postby decenturbanlifestyle » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:34 pm UTC

is anyone bringing along a fiancee? because I do killer engagement photos and would be happy to oblige the intelligentsia.

or... even better... anyone planning on getting married here?
xkcd brings people together.

-rachel

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:21 am UTC

I just booked a flight, and I'm not going home until Wednesday afternoon. Anyone want to extend the awesomeness for a few extra days and show me around Boston? Or if you're not from Boston, we could wander around cluelessly together :)

EstLladon
Beat you to the park. From RUSSIA.

Postby EstLladon » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:21 am UTC

I have an awesome idea for an activity. It is a table game me and my friends designed. We even have a wobsite (http://www.rybclub.ru) and LJ-comm (http://community.livejournal.com/rybclub), but they are in russian. It is not your regular table game where you mostly think - it is a skill game, and it requires good fingers, but anybody can play. It has a lot of varieties (with additional props ranging from coins to special field built from four table and ten chairs). I will bring all the needed props, but we will need a smooth level table (and for the best experience, some chairs) to play. Are you ready for RYBA?

If you are interested I can give you any additional information.
From Russia with math.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:00 pm UTC

Anyone interested in renting bikes or skates and zipping around places in the wee hours of the morning and/or along the Minuteman Trail during daytimes? There's a Munroe Station. Also Spy Pond has ducks.

Davis Square Rocks

Postby Davis Square Rocks » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:26 pm UTC

Munroe was a stop on the commuter railroad that the trail replaced, but I don't think there's any trace of an old station building remaining. The Cambridge-Somerville part of the trail passes within two blocks of the meeting point.

meta

Postby meta » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:22 pm UTC

Fusilliban wrote:This is *not* the kind of dorkiness I was thinking about.

Now to find a way to combine the two.

Aleatoric...coding?

Kantank

Postby Kantank » Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:18 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:oh yes, there should definitely be a tape measure comp. and kite flying is undeniably going to occur. My skippy will probably bring the trebuchet. Unfortunately you'll have to go into his bed room to get to the ball pitt.

BRING YOUR KITES

BRING YOUR TAPE MEASURES

Oh man, I'm bringing a tape measure for sure. Got one in the glove compartment of the truck right now, actually.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:33 pm UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Anyone interested in renting bikes or skates and zipping around places in the wee hours of the morning and/or along the Minuteman Trail during daytimes? There's a Munroe Station. Also Spy Pond has ducks.

I would definitely be into some biking/skating around first thing in the morning. I'm not getting there until Sunday morning though, so it would have to be one of the following days. It would be great to have someone who knows their way around.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:22 am UTC

Just to clarify, I was thinking like midnight through 3 am, but not everyone shares my fascination for zipping around in the dead of night. So whenever is also cool.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:35 am UTC

Me! Me! I am up for zipping around in the dead of night. I am a considerably more competent cyclist than rollerblader, but I would be in for either!
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

hendusoone
Mr. Dreambeard butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts butts. Butts.

Postby hendusoone » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:01 am UTC

Possibility for Friday night, if anyone is around that early in the wekeend: Swing City. Live jazz, swing dancing, lesson before if needed (always nice to brush up a bit). That night, the Toni Lynn Washington Band is playing. Never heard of 'em, but the description makes them sound good!
Boston's very own Swing Diva Is Back again by popular demand!!! "She will make you melt "--Boston Magazine "One of the best female singers working in the R&B and blues idioms "--Downbeat Magazine "Sing it girl-friend!! ...With a band like that, she can't lose!"--Ruth Brown
Admission is $12, or $10 with a Student ID (any Student ID will do). Can get there by Green Line, address and directions are on the website or here.

Also, I've never done karaoke. My first time may as well be with internet people who I don't have to live with mocking me for the rest of my life (or will I?). Count me in if it happens!

And who can pass up zipping around at night? I'll have to get my bike tuned up! May be difficult, though, since I plan on taking the commuter rail in. Those trains don't run too late...

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:09 am UTC

hendusoone wrote:Possibility for Friday night, if anyone is around that early in the wekeend: Swing City. Live jazz, swing dancing, lesson before if needed (always nice to brush up a bit). That night, the Toni Lynn Washington Band is playing. Never heard of 'em, but the description makes them sound good!
Boston's very own Swing Diva Is Back again by popular demand!!! "She will make you melt "--Boston Magazine "One of the best female singers working in the R&B and blues idioms "--Downbeat Magazine "Sing it girl-friend!! ...With a band like that, she can't lose!"--Ruth Brown
Admission is $12, or $10 with a Student ID (any Student ID will do). Can get there by Green Line, address and directions are on the website or here.

Also, I've never done karaoke. My first time may as well be with internet people who I don't have to live with mocking me for the rest of my life (or will I?). Count me in if it happens!

And who can pass up zipping around at night? I'll have to get my bike tuned up! May be difficult, though, since I plan on taking the commuter rail in. Those trains don't run too late...

Holy crap, this place has been right under my nose! I used to live in Newton and had no idea this place existed. Now I need to work on my swing dancing ;P

Yeah, I have a hate/hate relationship with the T. Mostly because it runs so damn late. Just so you know, there's a bus that runs later than the T that goes from Boston College (top of the B line) to their Newton Law Campus. While it's meant for students, I doubt they will care that you take it (probably think you are a law student). This won't take you directly to Newton Centre but will definitely shave off time on getting there...
"I may or may not be a raptor. There is no way of knowing until entering a box that I happen to be in and then letting me sunder the delicious human flesh from your body in reptile fury."

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:24 am UTC

Okita wrote:I used to live in Newton

Newton pride!

Yeah, that's all.

Okita
Staying Alive

Postby Okita » Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:30 am UTC

bbctol wrote:
Okita wrote:I used to live in Newton

Newton pride!

Yeah, that's all.

Small world, heh. Well not really, lots of people live/lived in Newton.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”