Hotel Alternative?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Posalootly

Hotel Alternative?

Postby Posalootly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:19 am UTC

I think it's fair to say that many of us are college students, yes? Well, I wanted to throw this idea out for consideration.

I'm a swing dancer, and we swing dancers are pretty adventurous. We like going to dances and events in towns far far away, and most of us are short on money. Basically, people from the hometown of the event will put up their house/room/apartment for the out of town dancers to crash at overnight. This way, you get to meet dancers, lots of people save money, and if you ever need a place to stay in a random town, you've got a free place to rest your head.

I don't know how many Boston-natives would be up for this idea, but I hope they will certainly think about it. Most out-of-towners will probably be exploring the city or at the meetup and only need a place to sleep before heading back the next day.

Any thoughts? Is this completely nuts?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:55 am UTC

Great idea, but you know what would be a greater idea? Doing the same thing via The Couchsurfing Project. Not only is it a bit safer to crash with someone whose name and address are verified and who has good references, registering gives you a pretty hugemongous database of open couches to search, including 3 in Antarctica (just in case). You can find me on there—I don't know where I'll be living in September so I can't promise anyone a couch just yet, but here is a link to my couchsurfing profile as an example.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Posalootly

Postby Posalootly » Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:08 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:Great idea, but you know what would be a greater idea? Doing the same thing via The Couchsurfing Project. Not only is it a bit safer to crash with someone whose name and address are verified and who has good references, registering gives you a pretty hugemongous database of open couches to search, including 3 in Antarctica (just in case). You can find me on there—I don't know where I'll be living in September so I can't promise anyone a couch just yet, but here is a link to my couchsurfing profile as an example.

This is a brilliant site! I'm signing up now. Great idea and thanks!

arbivark

i posted this to boston couchsurfing.

Postby arbivark » Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:58 pm UTC

Picture
xkcd gathering seeks couches
Posted 4 secs ago by Arbitrary Aardvark from Indianapolis, United States (Permalink)
There's this webcomic called xkcd. xkcd.com
And it has a forum for its fans.
Once upon a time there was a comic in which the main character has a dream of meeting someone at a certain time and place - xkcd.com/240/

Date: Sunday, September 23, 2007.
Location: Coordinates: 42.39561, -71.13051. A park at the corner of Cedar St & Dudley Street, North Cambridge, Massachusetts. See the map.
Time: Approx. 2:38 PM Local time (EDT).

So the forum decided we'd go there then and see what happens, so some 20? 50? 100? are converging on boston on the 23rd.
Most are either already in boston, or have hotel rooms,
but many of us are poor student types and would love to couchsurf, either or both the nights of the 22nd or 23rd.

I'm one of them.
I'll be happy to coordinate responses, gtbear at gmail.com,
or feel free to jain the forum - the thread is at
forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?t=3497&postdays=0&postorder=as....
And of course feel free to come to the event.
Thanks! - Robbin

also, if the couchsurfing this gets no responses, i'm looking for crash space for the 22nd, optionally the 21st as well.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:44 am UTC

If you want results from CS you really need to contact people with couches and not wait for them to contact you. Also at this point it's very last minute so prepare yourself for a lot of negative response. I had to email a couple dozen people two weeks before my trip to London in order to secure two couches for a night each.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Return to “XKCD Meetups”