Southern Ontario Carpool

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Southern Ontario Carpool

Postby Ren » Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:58 am UTC

What? What?
That's right. It's a separate carpool thread for the Ontarians.

Here is the deal so far:
I can drive, from Waterloo, but I haven't got a vehicle and am not of age to rent one. This is a dilemma.

I checked Enterprise rentals, in Waterloo, and I can get a minivan from the morning of the 21st to noon on the 24th for $ 212.79 CAD. Which isn't bad, split 5 or 6 ways. (This is with 600 km free, distance above that is $0.15/km). If we leave Saturday and return the van Monday morning, it's about $113.64 CAD, base cost.

I would prefer to leave Friday the 21st.

!, meta, Pi, Sleeping Tyrant, teakkettle, Vandole, Pau!, and Gordon (once upon a time) indicated some interest.
Discuss.
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

!

Postby ! » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:29 am UTC

Could you give a map of the route? Would you be heading east out of 'loo? If you are going south first (I don;t know how plausible that is...) you could save me the drive up from London.

As of now, my round trip to London would cost me $388 CAD plus tax. This is a possibility.

!

Postby ! » Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:21 pm UTC

dude. round trip to london just dropped to $334.
if this going to happen to matter what? or will the road trip fall to pieces? I don't epecially want this to fall through after ive bought tickets...

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:08 pm UTC

I don't know!!! Augh. This is hard and a pain. And I wish I were 21 and could rent a car.

*makes growling noises*
MotleyJesster (12:34:04 PM): Better than moping around being all "I do not need love, I have indie music and a wind instrument!"

meta

Postby meta » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:33 pm UTC

I am interested and enthusiastic, but, alas, only 19. Rrr!

Would it be possible for someone else to rent the car (parents? older friends/relatives?) and then have us drive it? A long shot, but worth looking into, maybe?

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:13 pm UTC

meta wrote:Would it be possible for someone else to rent the car (parents? older friends/relatives?) and then have us drive it? A long shot, but worth looking into, maybe?
This is something we refer to as Not A Good Plan, especially when it comes to legality.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:46 pm UTC

What is this "legality" you speak of?

If there are no other options, it might be a good idea, meta. That said, I'd *really* like to come up with some more people. If we're carpooling.

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:08 pm UTC

I'm probably not going, but a carpool from Waterloo is just too convenient to pass up. I'm going to throw in my possible interest, even if it's very tiny and getting in a car in strangers is against everything I learned when I was 4.

Don't plan with me in mind, I'd just like a door open in case I decide to go.

Oh yeah, make sure you have two sets of ID and at least photo. Birth certificate or passport (if you have one) are important too. The borders are annoying now.

meta

Postby meta » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:54 am UTC

When it comes to xkcd meetups, I'm of the opinion that Not Very Good Plans are better, in most cases, than Situations That Result In Sarah Not Being Able To Attend. I do understand your reluctance; I had the same. But I quashed it. Hard.

I'll ask around here and see if any of my over-21 friends are willing to come, but I'd kind of like it better if I didn't know ANYONE there, strangely enough.

Also, yay for dual citizenship!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:02 am UTC

meta wrote:Also, yay for dual citizenship!

Hey! We can be dual-citizenship buddies!

!

Postby ! » Fri Jul 20, 2007 5:18 am UTC

I don't have any older than 21 friends in that region, and my 21 year old brother doesn't have a driver's liscence. I think they sort of require one for you to rent...
I may (very remotely possible) be able to find a chaperone though. Slim to none chance, but I'm still throwing it out there.
And would I *need* a passport? Or would id and a birth ceritificate be enough?

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:22 am UTC

teh law wrote:All non-U.S. citizens entering the U.S. are still required to have passports as of January 23, 2007. This new requirement includes Canadians, and others who have previously been exempt from having to carry a passport to enter or re-enter the U.S.

You don't need a Visa, but you do need a passport.
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Fri Jul 20, 2007 11:12 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:
teh law wrote:All non-U.S. citizens entering the U.S. are still required to have passports as of January 23, 2007. This new requirement includes Canadians, and others who have previously been exempt from having to carry a passport to enter or re-enter the U.S.

You don't need a Visa, but you do need a passport.

Actually, you only need a passport if you're flying. Until December 7th, driving/taking the train do not require passports. See: this.

j07

Postby j07 » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:35 am UTC

Could I join in this carpool?
I'm only 18 and a horrible driver, but I can help pay for gas and car rental (if that ends up working somehow) and I could bring food or something.

Urbal T

Postby Urbal T » Sat Jul 21, 2007 12:50 pm UTC

Vaniver wrote:
meta wrote:Would it be possible for someone else to rent the car (parents? older friends/relatives?) and then have us drive it? A long shot, but worth looking into, maybe?
This is something we refer to as Not A Good Plan, especially when it comes to legality.

An alternative is to pay for someone else to rent a car while you borrow theirs.
Fnord is evaporated herbal tea without the herbs.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:28 pm UTC

Oooh, bon idee Urbal T!

!

Postby ! » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:59 pm UTC

so, looks like Ren is flying.
way to go Ren!
if anybody can still whip together a plan for the trip, I may still be interested, but it's gotta happen quickly-like. prices have already jumped back up on the tickets I'd need...

xquared
Location: canada, but would like to be in the town of Fucking

i am interested, and i signed up to say this

Postby xquared » Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:16 am UTC

that's right, i pretty much signed up to say i am interested. i am 21 but... i am going for my G2 in august... so there is LOTS of un-certainty there.
it's convenient for me, since Ren is planning to start in waterloo... cuz i will be back at UW for the fall...
assuming no ass-hole prof gives surprise quizzes on the 21st, i am really interested in going... which brings me to another point: is it possible to leave some time in the afternoon of the 21st after i am done classes?
X_x² ... ò_Ô

!

Postby ! » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:32 am UTC

looks like you are the only one who could rent a vehicle, so I doubt anybody will say no to your plans.

xquared

Postby xquared » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:53 pm UTC

soooo... Is any more planning being put into this? i am not terribly good at planning things
X_x² ... ò_Ô

!

Postby ! » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:56 pm UTC

Your guess is as good as mine. I hate being in charge. Even if plans still were made I'm not sure I'd still make it.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Hey. Hey. If we, for sure, have a 21-year-old who can legally rent a car (and, preferably, one other person who can drive, because I do *not* want to drive the whole way), then I'll do some planning for a pool down from Kitchener-Waterloo.

If we can get this together, I'll fork any air miles I win over to the next in line.

meta

Postby meta » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:16 pm UTC

*expresses continued enthusiasm*

I've recently discovered that in Montreal, one only needs to be 18 to rent a car. So, (heaven forbid) should you not get your G2, or if anything else happens, we can probably still make this happen with only a few convoluted detours.

parkaboy
who dwells between the borders of time

Postby parkaboy » Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:59 am UTC

err, since MJ cant go does that mean i should get busy folding cranes again just in case?

O_o *frantic folding*

Back in our day we had to walk uphill both ways through the snow on fire without feet to get fucking terrible relationship advice from disinterested and socially maladjusted nerds. Belial

xquared

Postby xquared » Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:13 pm UTC

meta wrote:
I've recently discovered that in Montreal, one only needs to be 18 to rent a car. So, (heaven forbid) should you not get your G2, or if anything else happens, we can probably still make this happen with only a few convoluted detours.

w00t for the Quebecois way! so you guy can drink when you are 18 and now rent a car too? That's an interesting combination...
but that's definitely a possibility if you want to do the detour ( i am assuming you are willing to drive down from Montreal?)
X_x² ... ò_Ô

meta

Postby meta » Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:02 am UTC

I'm willing, but unable; I only have my G1 and a few rather miserable driving lessons under my belt. If I can find a willing friend, I'm in.

Alternately, bus tix from Toronto to Montreal are $10 if you book nowish, so a very last resort could involve some absurd combination of bus-riding and car-renting and detour-taking? ...I'm rooting for 21+ Waterloo-dweller!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:15 pm UTC

Okay! Okay! So, tentatively...

Ren
meta
xsquared
!
jo7 (Hello! I didn't notice you before. Comin' from which part of SO?)
Devilsaur

We'd certainly fill a van. Are you all in? It would be cool to start making some real plans.

!

Postby ! » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:53 am UTC

news is, I all of a sudden don't have a ride up from London should I make it out, which is looking less and less likely. I wonder what it costs to bus from London to Montreal?

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Sun Jul 29, 2007 11:29 am UTC

It shouldn't be too expensive. And you could always check London-Toronto and Toronto-Montreal if it's outrageous. That's bound to be all right.

meta

Postby meta » Mon Jul 30, 2007 5:31 am UTC

! wrote:news is, I all of a sudden don't have a ride up from London should I make it out, which is looking less and less likely. I wonder what it costs to bus from London to Montreal?

Pretty cheap, especially if you book early, and travel at odd times; probably less than $100 return trip?

Why London to Montreal, though? I was planning to bus from Montreal to Waterloo to get in on the carpool (and, y'know, say hi to the family and such.) But if the rendezvous point was in Mtl, I'd be ever so pleased. We could rent a car here, after all...and it IS closer to Cambridge than Wloo is...*grin*

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:51 pm UTC

I wonder what it costs to bus from London to Montreal?
It took me too long to realize that there must be a London in Canada somewhere.
Last edited by Vaniver on Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:52 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Mon Jul 30, 2007 8:23 pm UTC

It took me too long to realize that there much be a London in Canada somewhere.
I go to school there, and its awsome, lotsa chiks and stuff.

A London-Toronto one way Greyhound ticket is $25 and takes 2 hours to arrive. Do that.

Ohz and I isn't coming, school starts then.
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:31 am UTC

yay for the southern ontario contingent! :D

it'll be fabulous to hear a few 'ehs' in amongst the crowd!

woot!
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:23 am UTC

I never say 'eh'.

*lifts one eyebrow*

shinybaby
In-Tents
Location: formerly Toronto, now London (Ontario)... anyone here??

Postby shinybaby » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:27 am UTC

i wish i could say the same, eh, but never is it more obvious that Canadiana has slipped into my vernacular as when i travel out of country! :oops:

what's a girl to do? (rhetorically...)
:D
Gordon wrote:1) Meet Gordon
2) Deploy Gordon
3) ...
4) Profit!!!

Devilsaur

Postby Devilsaur » Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:11 am UTC

Devilsaur wrote:I'm going to throw in my possible interest, even if it's very tiny and getting in a car in strangers [sic] is against everything I learned when I was 4.
:?
I'm also a poor student who probably can't afford hotel rooms...

ps. I can't believe I can't nest a size in a size.
pss.
shinybaby wrote:it'll be fabulous to hear a few 'ehs' in amongst the crowd!
I read this as environmental health sciences. I need to say 'eh' more often! And stress the pronunciation of about (instead of the silly american abawt). I forget the Canadian way to pronounce schedule though.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 6:12 am UTC

I was thinking about zipping down to Boston on a plane for that weekend, but I do have someone that I wouldn't mind visiting in Southern Ontario on my way there (i.e. I could fly to Ontario, then drive to Boston). I really haven't totally thought it through yet though.

I need to do some price comparison.

I'm 22, so I could theoretically rent a van anywhere.

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:49 am UTC

Yes! Yes! And then I wouldn't be stuck in a car with all guys. Or are you all guys? I'm not sure.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Wed Aug 01, 2007 4:15 pm UTC

Okay, let me look into it :)

When do we need to know by?

Ren
Rockin' Robin

Postby Ren » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:36 pm UTC

...End of August? I'm not sure, really. Does that sound reasonable?

Return to “XKCD Meetups”