SF Bay Area?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Mat Cauthon
Doctor Baron

SF Bay Area?

Postby Mat Cauthon » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:33 pm UTC

With all of these awesome meetups going on (especially the September thing which I can't go to because of school and it being across the country, which is insanely depressing because I would love to meet a lot of you guys) I figure there must be a notable legion here from the SF Bay Area or at least nearby it, what with its supposedly high geek-concentration (I say supposedly because my school has a presence but is still notably lacking).

So who all is in the area? And where in the bay, for the purposes of potential meetup ideas?

I'm in San Jose, heart of Silicon Valley and whatnot.

/Yes I know that nobody from the Bay Area calls it the SF Bay Area but for all I know there are other places called that too.
//Anyone calling it the "yay-area" deserves to be shot. Hyphy has no place here >.>
mootinator wrote:No, assembly is difficult to read even if you do understand it.

Turns out a PC has more registers than my brain.

Oort

Postby Oort » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:35 pm UTC

I am in full support of your idea.

Marbas

Postby Marbas » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:44 pm UTC

I'm in Deadwood City and San Carlos!

(Divorced parents)

I don't post here very much though because I feel as though I am significantly below the intellectual standards of this forum. But the comic is still awesome!

//Anyone calling it the "yay-area" deserves to be shot. Hyphy has no place here >.>

Agreed! Those idiots can get really annoying. Even my sister has started joining in on this trend so I have to endure constant exclamations about the joys of "going dumb" in my own house.
Jahoclave wrote:Do you have any idea how much more fun the holocaust is with "Git er Done" as the catch phrase?

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:02 pm UTC

Yes! Totally! I'm up for that. I'm in Stockton myself; so anywhere in central CA is only a couple hours from me, tops.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

Pero

Postby Pero » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

That'd be awesome. I'm from the East Bay (Livermore), but I've been bouncing back and forth between there and Davis based on how bored I've been.

Classes don't start until the twenty-seventh or so of September, so I should be able to make it to anything before then.

Also, any particular location? Something on a BART line would be cool.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Sun Aug 12, 2007 2:20 am UTC

Damnit, I'm bumping this because there've got to be more people here who live in California/on the west coast, and I'm bummed about missing the MA meetup, so I want this to happen. Come on, people!

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:31 am UTC

Napa Valley, which is close enough. I'm very sad about missing the meetup. Ours will have to be before school (late september), as that is in Washington.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:22 am UTC

I'll be moving to San Jose in a matter of days. As long as we meet somewhere within about 100 miles of there I should be able to go no problem. Classes start for me in a couple of weeks, but I'm free on some Saturdays and all Sundays.

priapus

Postby priapus » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:02 am UTC

Last edited by priapus on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:45 am UTC

And judging by the name, you'll also bring the large erect penis? You're invited!

Solt

Postby Solt » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:13 am UTC

I goto school at Cal, so anything after about 2 weeks (and on a weekend, preferably sunday) I'm down for. But it has to be reachable by BART as I have no car.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a meetup in SF, since it's the most interesting place and accessible from the rest of the Bay Area.
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

Pero

Postby Pero » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 am UTC

Solt wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a meetup in SF, since it's the most interesting place and accessible from the rest of the Bay Area.

The city may be the most interesting place, but I'm going to suggest Zachary's, as it is clearly the most delicious place in the Bay Area (and maybe the world!)

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:01 am UTC

(in the interest of keeping this thread alive) What type of restaurant is Zachary's?

priapus

Postby priapus » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:18 am UTC

Last edited by priapus on Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:25 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:33 am UTC

I'd be down. It's only about 1 1/2 hours from me. I live in Davis, for anyone interested.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:59 am UTC

It sounds very good. Are there any proposals for a time of day/day of the week? I think a Sunday afternoon/evening would work best for me, since I know I have those days off. Other than that, evenings (how late depends on the day for me) during the week would be best.

Saffuric

Postby Saffuric » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:51 am UTC

hey!! i go to school in Davis!
i'm from SF, but most of my year is spent at Davis now
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Something Saffurical

Pero

Postby Pero » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:13 pm UTC

/cast Revive Thread (Rank 2)

So, does anyone still want to do something like this? If so, what? When? Does Zachary's sound good to everyone?

Eschatokyrios

Postby Eschatokyrios » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:54 pm UTC

Solt wrote:I goto school at Cal, so anything after about 2 weeks (and on a weekend, preferably sunday) I'm down for. But it has to be reachable by BART as I have no car.

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest a meetup in SF, since it's the most interesting place and accessible from the rest of the Bay Area.

Awesome, so do I. There's a small chance I might know you in person :)
კაცი ბჭობდა, ღმერთი იცინოდაო
k'atsi bch'obda, ghmerti itsinodao
"Man was discussing, God was laughing"
-Georgian proverb

RealGrouchy
Nobody Misses Me As Much As Meaux.

Postby RealGrouchy » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:56 pm UTC

I can't recall the procedure on this, (because I never go to the meetup forum), but I'm pretty sure this should be moved to the meetup forum.

I shall consult in a cabal of modham.

- RG>
Jack Saladin wrote:etc., lock'd
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:At least he has the decency to REMOVE THE GAP BETWEEN HIS QUOTES....
Sungura wrote:I don't really miss him. At all. He was pretty grouchy.

saxything43

Postby saxything43 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:04 am UTC

I would SO be there. Except, I think a Saturday would be better, pretty please, because I actually live in Redding. SF is a lot closer than Boston, but I would still have to drive a few hours OR stay at my grandmother's house. This makes a Saturday easier because if I stay the night on Sunday, I miss at least some school on Monday morning, which is not good with AP classes.

And I have no idea about Zachary's quality of food, but I would eat anywhere with fellow xkcdians.
This post brought you to by the number 42.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:37 am UTC

Solt wrote:I goto school at Cal, so anything after about 2 weeks (and on a weekend, preferably sunday) I'm down for. But it has to be reachable by BART as I have no car.

Do a lot of people smoke at Cal?

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:12 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:

Do a lot of people smoke at Cal?

Err, not really. Probably the same percentage as anywhere else.

Random question?

Informal poll: saturday 22, sunday 23, saturday 29, sunday 30.

Which dates can you make, which dates do you prefer. Also specify morning (11ish) or evening (5ish).

Me- I can make all dates, but only evening on saturdays. Would prefer sat evening or sunday morning.

For now destination is undecided, but obviously somewhere in the bay area.

Changed to green so that text is not confused with the Red Pen of Mod.

Edit: Changed back because red is much more noticeable than green. Let the mod's note be testament to the fact that the bold red text was written by me (Solt), not a mod.
Last edited by Solt on Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:42 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

-J.W. Morris

Pero

Postby Pero » Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:50 am UTC

The evening of the twenty-ninth would probably work best for me because I'll be in Oakland to see the A's game that afternoon.

I'll probably be in Davis until then, so this weekend wouldn't be the best for me. I'd rather not drive 70-80 miles each way to go somewhere that I'll be the next week (Though if someone else from Davis wants to drive, I'd gladly take up space in their car).

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:59 pm UTC

Assuming I can get permission from my parents, the 23rd and 30th probably work better for me, and I could swing the Saturday dates if they were more in the afternoon/evening and I could hitch a ride home back to Davis (I'm not sure how late the trains run).

This weekend would probably work better, though, as I'm working on my Eagle project and there's no way it's going to start this weekend, although it might by the next weekend.

But I can probably hack whatever you guys put out there.

Solt

Postby Solt » Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:38 pm UTC

I can tell this is going to be one epic meetup.

*bump*

-J.W. Morris

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:18 am UTC

I would really like it if we could get a date hammered out though; my schedule's pretty packed and I'm worried I won't be able to switch stuff around so I can go.

Amicitia

Postby Amicitia » Sat Sep 22, 2007 6:53 am UTC

Can I come? :O

Solt

Postby Solt » Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:14 am UTC

Amicitia wrote:Can I come? :O

Of course, when are you free?

Wolf wrote:I would really like it if we could get a date hammered out though; my schedule's pretty packed and I'm worried I won't be able to switch stuff around so I can go.

Ok, let's aim for next week. Saturday evening if it's just a few of us, or sunday morning if there's actually like more than 5 people that will show up.

-J.W. Morris

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Sat Sep 22, 2007 3:33 pm UTC

Solt wrote:
Amicitia wrote:Can I come? :O

Of course, when are you free?

Wolf wrote:I would really like it if we could get a date hammered out though; my schedule's pretty packed and I'm worried I won't be able to switch stuff around so I can go.

Ok, let's aim for next week. Saturday evening if it's just a few of us, or sunday morning if there's actually like more than 5 people that will show up.

I'm in. Whenever, wherever. I'm very open right now, so I can pretty much guarantee I can make it.

Wolf

Re: SF Bay Area?

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:12 am UTC

Do we have an idea of exactly where we're meeting? Zachary's was mentioned earlier, but ye olde Wikipedia said there were three locations in the Bay Area, and I'm not sure which one we'd go to.

Also, if I'm able to go (I give it about 50/50 right now), Sunday morning is the only one of the two times I can do it.
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Solt

Postby Solt » Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:30 am UTC

Incidentally, I can't go anymore. Combination of friend I have known about 3 times longer than this comic has even existed visiting and having a midterm on monday. Sorry.

Also, why hasn't this thread been moved to the meet-up forum?

-J.W. Morris

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:34 am UTC

Now that Solt's out of commission, is there anyone else (besides me) who is still interested in this happening?

(The thread hasn't been very active so it's hard to tell).

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Wolf

Postby Wolf » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:46 pm UTC

I actually can't go this weekend, either. I have far too much work to do. :(

If anyone's ever interested in having a mini meet-up in Davis some other time, just send me a message and we can set something up!

pengwen

Postby pengwen » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:15 am UTC

I finally decided to register for the forum JUST to say, Bay Area meet-up ftw. Sign me up, I'll be there. I'm in San Jose, and I do have a vehicle with 4-wheels that can generally get me from point A to point B. If anyone needs a ride, I'd be willing to share! And I'm not a creepy stalker lady, I have many references if necessary. =)

bcherry

Postby bcherry » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:07 am UTC

im in, I go to school/live in santa clara (at santa clara university obviously). You know what I think would be sweet is an xkcd trip to great america/chess on top gun (or other ride), but I'd be down for whatever. I have no mode of transportation other than public or maybe a borrowed car from a friend, although caltrain can get me to a lot of good places (including bart).

On a side note my roommate actually works at great america, but i havent really asked him about discounts/looking the other way if 4 people he didn't know set up a game of axis and allies on the demon...

Solt

Postby Solt » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:13 am UTC

I like how you guys say something AFTER the first attempt falls through.

Well, we should pick a date further in the future this time. Something with significance.

Also, anyone interested leave an email or IM address, or email/IM it to me if you aren't going to register. I give no guarantees, but if anything happens and you stopped checking the forums, we can still get to you. The best method of leaving your contact info would be to add it to your profile so we can just go through the posts in this thread and get a hold of everyone.

-J.W. Morris

bcherry

Postby bcherry » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:20 pm UTC

hit me up at my username @gmail.com.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:12 am UTC

I'm still down for this, but I'm busy most days (Sundays are wide open for me, as well as Friday/Saturday evenings). I'll PM you my email. I now live about 15 minutes from downtown San Jose, so pretty much anywhere this is likely to be organized is well within my reach (I have my own transport).

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Sat Oct 06, 2007 11:41 pm UTC

I'm in ConcordWalnutCreekPleasantHill and will think of places that would be cool to meet up. I'm significantly out of your demographic, so I would say you folks get an idea together and if I can make it, I will, but there is a significant generation gap that is a little worse offline.
Last edited by Aviatrix on Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:39 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “XKCD Meetups”