SF Bay Area?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

Wolf

Re: SF Bay Area?

Postby Wolf » Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:44 pm UTC

Just thought I'd leave my e-mail in case something happens this time:

nerdyboy42a@sbcglobal.net
There's a method to my madness. Somewhere. Don't worry, I'll find it!

I'm learning game design! Watch my progress here: http://www.humming-rain.com

My friend wrote:You played fast and loose with punctuation and suffered the consequences.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

Same.

I live in Foster City, which is pretty close to all major cities here, and is very supportive of a XKCD meeting in San Fran at Golden Gate Park or anywhere else.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:56 am UTC

So is there a status update on this? Do you all think we can get something together by mid-December?

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:48 pm UTC

Hmmm... just to throw out an idea: if we're talking about a dozen people, I think I have 10 tickets to the Tactile Dome around here somewhere. I'd have to find the tickets, so I hesitate to suggest this, but is this something people would be interested in to the extent that I should clean out my filing cabinet?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:07 pm UTC

Aviatrix wrote:Hmmm... just to throw out an idea: if we're talking about a dozen people, I think I have 10 tickets to the Tactile Dome around here somewhere. I'd have to find the tickets, so I hesitate to suggest this, but is this something people would be interested in to the extent that I should clean out my filing cabinet?

I would very much be up for that.

I have always wanted to go through that, but never got reservations.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

FWIW, I found the certificate, which is good for up to 12 Tactile Dome admissions and expires 31 May 2008. We'd have to organize enough so I could schedule a date ("advance reservations required" is just what this already non-cohesive group needs, doncha think?). I have 12 admissions. The time slot can be for up to 20 people; with at least 15 it is considered a "private" party and we don't have to share with non-xkcdians. This would require, and I know this because I have advanced mathematics skills, that we would need to purchase three admissions.
Spoiler:
15-12=3.
Oh, and we'd have to have 15 interested people, which may be more of a stretch. We don't need to have 15, or even 12, to go, but we'd have to share.

You get a scheduled hour in the Dome plus admission to the rest of the Exploratorium. The Dome slots are 10:15, 12 noon, 1:45, 3:30 and 5 pm; on Friday and Saturday they have a 6:45 time slot after the rest of the museum closes.

Restrictions for the Dome: No one under 7 years, no 3rd trimesters, nobody with back or knee problems and y'all just shush up about my knees, no claustrophobics or achluophobics--which does not mean "fear of cthulhu", but no cthulhuophobics, either--and nobody who thinks velociraptors hide in dark places. At one time there was a ball pit in the middle of the thing, but that may have been removed, pity.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Fri Oct 26, 2007 9:16 pm UTC

Well, I'd be up for it. I went to the exploratorium for the first time a few months ago. The tactile dome didn't have a ball pit when I went through, but there's a sort of bounce house in it now. If you're claustrophobic, it's not very bad. After you go through the first chute it's all downhill (figuratively) from there.

So far, that makes three interested parties.

kisa

Postby kisa » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:02 am UTC

Please sign me up! id think it would be a fun thing to do... maybe on a friday?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:14 am UTC

List of people who are thinking/are going:

1. Aviatrix
2. Æshættr
3. Platypodes
4. Kisa
5. Pero
6. CorranH
7. xabram
8. bcherry
9. lysandra
10. Dibley
11. shaper
12. Djabanete
13. gqgg85go9g
15. Rawez
Last edited by Aleril on Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:52 pm UTC, edited 14 times in total.

Pero

Postby Pero » Sun Oct 28, 2007 8:51 am UTC

*raises hand*

I have a friend who wanted me to tell her if there was going to be a meet up in the bay area, so maybe her too.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:56 pm UTC

That sounds awesome. Count me in. I'll request a day off work if need be, so scheduling is no problem for me.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

xabram

Postby xabram » Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:57 am UTC

Hey, I am also interested in going. I'm currently a student in UC Davis, so depending when in December this may happen, my finals may conflict.

bcherry

Postby bcherry » Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:36 am UTC

i am definitely interested. I tend to go through periods where I dont check this forum for a while, so we should do some email coordination too. again, my email is my username at gmail.

i suppose they dont take any sort of fancy on ride photo, with night vision or anything, because it would be sweet to be playing chess in a bounce room in the dark...

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:57 pm UTC

Pencil me in.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:23 am UTC

I'm probably in.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:51 pm UTC

Okay... I'll look at my calendar and the Exploratorium's calendar, and try to come up with a date.

Just as a fair warning: there is a little bit of choreography involved. I find out dates that have open times, I come and suggest a couple of dates, everyone takes three weeks to answer, and by that time the dates are closed and/or folks who answered early are back home for winter break, etc. I'll try PMing everyone when I update the thread, but I don't have email addresses so I hope folks check their PMs.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:13 pm UTC

Also, it would be great to do this during a saturday or sunday, school and all.

Pero

Postby Pero » Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:30 pm UTC

For how many people is Winter break preferable, and for how many would that make it unfeasible? Obviously, if it's pre-winter break, it must be on a weekend (maybe even during winter break for people who have jobs and such?).

Finals for myself and other students at Davis are Dec. 10-14, so the weekend prior to that is probably not an option for us. If it's not during winter break, I'd need to find a ride, seeing as my apartment thinks it's cool to give three parking permits for five people (i.e. I don't have my car up here.)

I should be available any weekend prior to the 7th and 8th of December, if someone coming from the Davis/Sac area can give me a ride. From the 15th of December to the 5th of January I'll be home for break, so I'll be in the Bay Area and have a car, which would make things much easier.

Dibley

Postby Dibley » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:35 am UTC

Winter break is a must for me. I'm not certain about my schedule, I'll check up on that.

Aviatrix

Postby Aviatrix » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:29 am UTC

Winter break AND a weekend, or just winter break? I'm assuming that some folks are employed, so weekend would be best.

shaper

Postby shaper » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:31 pm UTC

Hello!

Registered to post in this thread - I live in east bay.

ashaper at gmail dot com

Djabanete

Re:

Postby Djabanete » Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:24 am UTC

Pero wrote:The city may be the most interesting place, but I'm going to suggest Zachary's, as it is clearly the most delicious place in the Bay Area (and maybe the world!)

Dude...

*Lives 2 blocks from the Solano Ave. location*

gqgg85go9g

Postby gqgg85go9g » Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:09 am UTC

Also in the area and interested. Will notify my friends about this as well. There was a good number of us who wanted to go, but couldnt due to money. That was before we learned about http://www.megabus.com . useful for future meetup potential.

For my email, bring every character down 1 place on the keyboard,then append @gmail.com. cheers.

-b

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:34 pm UTC

I'm free from 12:00 PM December 17 - 9:00 AM January 23, excluding the days of December 25th and adjacent days.

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:18 pm UTC

Æshættr wrote:I'm free from 12:00 PM December 17 - 9:00 AM January 23, excluding the days of December 25th and adjacent days.

That sounds really good.

Its break and it could be over the weekend.

Does that sound good for everyone else?

rawez

Postby rawez » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:35 pm UTC

I live in the area and would be up for joining in on the fun

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 am UTC

All filled up! Also, my friend's friend is coming along with us and he is paying for his own ticket.

Would that be a problem?

Relsqui

Postby Relsqui » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:52 pm UTC

Hullo! Pardon me for interrupting, but those of you who don't mind a bit of a drive might be interested in the meetup in Los Angeles on January 4-6:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=15572

One van and probably at least one car of overflow are going to be driving down from the San Jose area. If there's a lot of interest up here, we could make a proper convoy out of it! Please discuss in that thread if that sounds like fun.

Pero

Postby Pero » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:27 pm UTC

Alright, it's the seventh of December, which means it's one month before my classes will resume and doing anything in the Bay Area will be come slightly more difficult. So, what I'm saying is, we should get some dates hammered out. How's the twenty-second sound? It's a Saturday that (obviously) isn't on or directly adjacent to Christmas.

Would this date work for everyone?

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:41 am UTC

The 22nd works for me. Unfortunately, the LA gathering overlaps with a newly-planned trip out of state (31st to the 6th) so I won't be in that vanload of people going down there.

CorranH
A-dork-able

Postby CorranH » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:28 pm UTC

Well, I personally would prefer a Sunday or Monday, since those are the days I have off work, but I can understand that the 16th or 17th would probably be too short of notice, and a fair number of people would probably like to spend the Sunday two days before Christmas with their family. I guess that's my way of saying, in a perfect world (perfect for me, of course), we would do this on the 23rd, but really, the 22nd is fine by me, since I already said I'm willing to take a day off to do this. Or, hey, if we do this late in the afternoon, I wouldn't necessarily even have to miss work, since I get off at three.
It's a muon, you cunt - Robin Williams

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:17 pm UTC

The 22nd sounds like a good day for me as well, i'll go over it with my friend.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:38 pm UTC

Hey, I'm a li'l confused here.... I'm seeing that this gathering is "all filled up," but also that a date hasn't been set yet. And it's really hard to count on a list of people attending something if you haven't yet picked a date and time and verified that they're all free on said date and time...

So. Um. Hi, folks. I'm interested in this if there turns out to be space. If the free passes are spoken for, but you're not up to the 20-person maximum for the timeslot, I'm happy to pay for my admission.

*Waves to her fellow bay-areans*
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Aleril
Le Rail

Postby Aleril » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:09 am UTC

Just found out I cant go.

2 more spaces open!

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:38 am UTC

Aww, that's a bummer that you can't go when you've been an active organizer here. :(

But, um, since you can't, could I please get on the list? (Contingent on the setting of an exact day... But that weekend of the 22nd is open for me.)

Edit: Thank you!

ThisIsVictor

Postby ThisIsVictor » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:09 am UTC

Hey all!

A friend just pointed this thread out to me. I'm in Davis but would gladly make the drive down if there is still room. Put me down as a "yes" if there is still space!

Also, I can give rides down and back, if anyone is interested. I could stop anywhere between Davis and SF to pick people up.

Is the 22nd the confirmed date or is that still up in the air? Any Friday/Saturday/Sunday is good for me.

--Victor

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:51 am UTC

Damn. I'm in Santa Clara but just now stumbled across this thread. I'm more then game for the meetup if it's in the late afternoon/evening.

Are we set on a time/place/activity?

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:36 am UTC

Uffh wrote:Are we set on a time/place/activity?

We seem to have stalled on the "pick a day and time" phase. The weekend of the 22nd and 23rd works for me, and nobody's yet stepped up and said "nooooo, not that weekend!"

The Tactile Dome idea seems to have been universally approved as awesome; if we want to schedule that, we need Aviatrix to pop back in here; can't schedule something without the possessor of the passes! Meanwhile, I'll try PM'ing other interested parties and seeing if I can stir up some general input about this weekend and/or other good days.

As a possible alternative if the Tactile Dome thing doesn't go through... There's a huge and fantastically bizarre coffeeshop & collectibles store called Central Perk that's two blocks from the El Cerrito Plaza BART station. They're open till 10pm every day. They've got stuff like 5-foot-tall stuffed animals and a whole bookcase full of bobble-head dolls. They could easily accommodate a large group and encourage hangers-out. The beverages are excellent and bathtub-sized; the food is of mixed quality (awesome salads; kind of crappy sandwiches; other things are hit or miss). Does this sound like an xkcd-ish place to you-all? Edit: almost forgot, they have a web site, http://www.centralperkcoffee.net/ --but it really fails to portray the true strange nature of the place.

Thinking beyond the 22nd and 23rd... I will not be free the following weekend (the 29th and 30th) but am currently free for all weekends in January.

gqgg85go9g

Postby gqgg85go9g » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:03 am UTC

Am I the only one who will be busy JUST as the meetup occurs? Maybe I can push back my trip for half a day and stop by. Also, does the 20-person limit still stand? I personally think this meetup has a lot more potential, given the number of xkcders in the bay area.

Pero

Postby Pero » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:38 am UTC

Well, we definitely have enough people available for this saturday to do something. I'm not sure what sort of notice we'd need to give for the tactile dome, but if we can do that (preferably with a few more people than have responded so far) it'd be awesome. If not, they coffee place mentioned by Platypodes is an option. Another choice would be my original recommendation of Zachary's and wandering around Berkeley (or anything anyone can think of to do after stuffing themselves with pizza).

As an aside, I've noticed quite a few people from Davis. How many of us are there here, and would there be a possibility for a mini-meetup or something in the future?

Return to “XKCD Meetups”