SF Bay Area?

For discussion of group meetings in the meat-o-sphere.

Moderators: LE4dGOLEM, Moderators General, Prelates

xabram

Re: SF Bay Area?

Postby xabram » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 pm UTC

Pero wrote:
As an aside, I've noticed quite a few people from Davis. How many of us are there here, and would there be a possibility for a mini-meetup or something in the future?

A mini Davis meet up in the future sounds awesome, but one thing at a time. I can do this weekend in SF, if I know details of location, as I have no car and buses/walking will be required. I am definitely game for it though.

PS: Perhaps a mini davis meetup in the on campus domes? I've heard good things about them, but never have been there.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:32 pm UTC

For reference:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/visit/tactile_dome/
Admission is $17 per person ($13 for field trips). One low price for private parties for up to 20 guests! Fee includes admission to the museum for the day.

For reservations, call (415) 561-0362, Monday through Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Advance reservations strongly recommended. Due to peak attendance during the Summer months, same day reservations will not be accepted over the phone from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Please choose a favorite and an alternate time before you call for your reservation.

Tuesday through Sunday
10:15 a.m., 12 noon, 1:45 p.m , 3:30 p.m and 5:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday after-hours at 6:45 p.m.

Closed Mondays (Except Memorial Day, Labor Day, Martin Luther King Day and President's Day).

Sessions last 75 minutes. You can expect to travel through the Dome two to three times.

I'll be in the bay area for a few weeks but will be taking bart/bus unless someone can give me a ride from the east bay.

Djabanete

Postby Djabanete » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:59 pm UTC

Hello all,

I'm deeply confused by this thread, but I hereby sign myself up for whatever is going on after my finals are over (Dec 22 on). I can be flexible. Zachary's is yummy.

-Djabanete

rawez

Postby rawez » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:56 pm UTC

I'm in for anytime this weekend.

ThisIsVictor

Postby ThisIsVictor » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 pm UTC

Quick recap to make sure I understand what the hey we're talking about.

Date: This weekend, the 22nd or the 23nd.

Where: The Tactile Dome at the Exploratorium. If we hear from Aviatrix, who have the tickets. If the Tactile Dome doesn't work out two alternatives are Central Perk in El Cerrito and Zachary's (pizza) in Berkeley.

Correct?

-----

I'm in favor of the Zackary's over the Tactile Dome, even if we get tickets. Simpler logistics and no limit to the number of people who can show up. Does anyone have strong preferences between coffee or pizza and Saturday or Sunday? Or other suggestions?

--Victor

shaper

Postby shaper » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:48 pm UTC

Platypodes wrote:
Uffh wrote:Are we set on a time/place/activity?

We seem to have stalled on the "pick a day and time" phase. The weekend of the 22nd and 23rd works for me, and nobody's yet stepped up and said "nooooo, not that weekend!"

The Tactile Dome idea seems to have been universally approved as awesome; if we want to schedule that, we need Aviatrix to pop back in here; can't schedule something without the possessor of the passes! Meanwhile, I'll try PM'ing other interested parties and seeing if I can stir up some general input about this weekend and/or other good days.

As a possible alternative if the Tactile Dome thing doesn't go through... There's a huge and fantastically bizarre coffeeshop & collectibles store called Central Perk that's two blocks from the El Cerrito Plaza BART station. They're open till 10pm every day. They've got stuff like 5-foot-tall stuffed animals and a whole bookcase full of bobble-head dolls. They could easily accommodate a large group and encourage hangers-out. The beverages are excellent and bathtub-sized; the food is of mixed quality (awesome salads; kind of crappy sandwiches; other things are hit or miss). Does this sound like an xkcd-ish place to you-all? Edit: almost forgot, they have a web site, http://www.centralperkcoffee.net/ --but it really fails to portray the true strange nature of the place.

Thinking beyond the 22nd and 23rd... I will not be free the following weekend (the 29th and 30th) but am currently free for all weekends in January.

Good for me. It's only three blocks from my place. But yea, the first and only time I bought food there was an overpriced sandwich that looked like someone sat on it.
I'm still unclear on what we've finally decided. I'm in for what ever is happening on the 22nd or 23rd.

Platypodes
Location: On a knot on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea

Postby Platypodes » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:59 pm UTC

ThisIsVictor wrote:Quick recap to make sure I understand what the hey we're talking about.

Date: This weekend, the 22nd or the 23nd.

Where: The Tactile Dome at the Exploratorium. If we hear from Aviatrix, who have the tickets. If the Tactile Dome doesn't work out two alternatives are Central Perk in El Cerrito and Zachary's (pizza) in Berkeley.

Correct?
I believe that what the hey we are talking about, yes.
ThisIsVictor wrote:I'm in favor of the Zackary's over the Tactile Dome, even if we get tickets. Simpler logistics and no limit to the number of people who can show up. Does anyone have strong preferences between coffee or pizza and Saturday or Sunday? Or other suggestions?

I agree; the Tactile Dome is seeming way too complicated to organize.

While the pizza sounds great, I think Zackary's isn't very logistics-friendly. I called them to ask about seating and stuff, and I learned that they tend to be totally packed in the evening on weekends and still somewhat packed even in the afternoon. And we need to be able to stake out a table without really knowing how many people are going to show up and then let them all filter in, and we'll probably want to hang out for a good while... I think a place with people standing in long lines would make things difficult.

I think it's time to put forward a specific plan and let people say yea or nay. I propose the following:

Saturday, December 22nd
4:00pm
Central Perk Cafe (On San Pablo Ave. at Central Ave., near El Cerrito Plaza BART)
Feel free to bring games, toys, and miscellaneous fun stuff.

If y'all like this idea, I can see about reserving one of the best seating areas at Central Perk.

Whaddya think?
videogamesizzle wrote:so, uh, seen any good arbitrary, high numbers lately?

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:16 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:Saturday, December 22nd
4:00pm
Central Perk Cafe (On San Pablo Ave. at Central Ave., near El Cerrito Plaza BART)
Feel free to bring games, toys, and miscellaneous fun stuff.

If y'all like this idea, I can see about reserving one of the best seating areas at Central Perk.

Whaddya think?

Sounds great.
How should we meet up once there? Under the reservation, I suppose.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:27 am UTC

I still prefer the Tactile Dome but don't want to be the only one that shows up! You know, there's nothing preventing us from doing both, and most sound like anytime this weekend works anyway. Who knows? It could be an awesome weekend!

bcherry

Postby bcherry » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:29 am UTC

hmmm I might be busy on saturday, I'll check with my gf tonight.

Also, I am coming from Santa Clara and would need a ride.

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:30 am UTC

bcherry wrote:hmmm I might be busy on saturday, I'll check with my gf tonight.

Also, I am coming from Santa Clara and would need a ride.

I'm coming from Santa Clara as well, but I don't have a ride either.
(We could take Bart together, huddled in the corner in mutual fear of everything.)

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:34 am UTC

Uffh wrote:How should we meet up once there? Under the reservation, I suppose.

I'll bring an xkcd sign and post on here about what space is reserved for us. Speaking of which, if I get a choice, would folks prefer to sit around a proper table (optimal surface for games and stuff) or in armchairs with coffee tables?

lysandra wrote:I still prefer the Tactile Dome but don't want to be the only one that shows up! You know, there's nothing preventing us from doing both, and most sound like anytime this weekend works anyway. Who knows? It could be an awesome weekend!

I'd totally be up for trying the Tactile Dome sometime. This can be our initial test run of getting people in the same place at the same time. :)

Uffh wrote:(We could take Bart together, huddled in the corner in mutual fear of everything.)

How about taking BART together and acting as conspicuously unusual as possible? Think "My hobby"... :lol:

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:56 am UTC

Platypodes wrote:
Uffh wrote:How should we meet up once there? Under the reservation, I suppose.

I'll bring an xkcd sign and post on here about what space is reserved for us. Speaking of which, if I get a choice, would folks prefer to sit around a proper table (optimal surface for games and stuff) or in armchairs with coffee tables?
How about taking BART together and acting as conspicuously unusual as possible? Think "My hobby"... :lol:

I'm a big coffee-table person.
I guess I do still have my labcoat and that unmounted whiteboard...

I have a few friends with cars and a love of xkcd, perhaps I could coin us a ride.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:06 am UTC

Ooooh, whiteboard! :D

Solt

Postby Solt » Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:23 am UTC

Wow, so many interested people showed up all of a sudden. Last time we tried it looked like we'd have 5 or less.

There's no reason you can't do another meetup in a few months, primarily so I can show up :D
"Welding was faster, cheaper and, in theory,
produced a more reliable product. But sailors do
not float on theory, and the welded tankers had a
most annoying habit of splitting in two."
-J.W. Morris

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:48 am UTC

I also have a whiteboard, but I'm not sure where the markers are and don't know if I want to carry it with me. It's not exactly something I can strap to my back to take a walk with!

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:19 am UTC

Yeah, I'm not sure how a white board would roll with the nice folks on the BART.
I do have the markers though, and I'd be game in bringing them.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:42 am UTC

Actually, it's funny, folks on BART get all sociable if you're carrying something weird.

One time I took a 5-foot-tall bush on BART. During evening commute, no less. Everybody smiled at me and talked to me. It was awesome.

I think city folks kind of want to be friendly and just need an excuse for it... :D

ThisIsVictor

Postby ThisIsVictor » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:46 am UTC

Saturday at 4 sounds great, I'll be there!

I have a car but I'm only driving from Berkeley. If you would like a ride from the surrounding area to the coffee shop, give me a PM.

--Victor

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:27 am UTC

I assume this is the correct site, with a map of the place:
http://www.centralperkcoffee.net/1536884.html

Where BART dumps you off:
http://www.bart.gov/stations/stationgui ... _PLAZA.asp

BART schedules:
http://www.bart.gov/stations/schedules/

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:37 am UTC

Lysandra: yep, correct on all counts!

The BART station actually fills the whole block that's bounded on the north and south by Central and Fairmont and on the East and West by Richmond and Liberty. From the northwest corner of the main BART parking lot, walk west three short blocks on Central Ave. till you come to San Pablo. Central Perk is on the corner of Central & San Pablo.

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:15 pm UTC

I would be up for a jaunt to SF this Saturday. I'll have to work out the logistics of the bart, but that shouldn't be too hard. Anyone else going to the Fremont station?

shaper

Postby shaper » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:17 am UTC

If anyone'd like to bring instruments to entertain the rest of us, Central Perk frequently has locals coming in to play. You'd probably be welcome to.

Yea.
Spoiler:
Last edited by shaper on Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:36 am UTC

I'm planning on taking caltrain to the milbre station, anyone else taking that route?

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Thu Dec 20, 2007 11:21 pm UTC

It's o-fish-al. I have reserved a space for us at Central Perk on Saturday at 4pm. I asked for the space with the armchairs near the front door.

See you on Saturday!

Edit:

"Because we're grown-ups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means":

I have decided to give myself a Christmas present of a large box of Kapla Blocks, which I think are the most awesome toy in the world. I'll bring them to the meetup. We can build stuff!

Pero

Postby Pero » Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:20 pm UTC

Is there anyone taking BART from Dublin/Pleasanton (or Walnut Creek, I guess) that would want to meet and travel together? Or anyone not taking BART but traveling from the Dublin/Pleasanton/Livermore area (or San Ramon/Danville)?

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:17 am UTC

Pero, I'll be taking the Fremont - Richmond line, which (according to the BART trip planner) you'll need to transfer over to. I'm planning on arriving at El Cerrito Plaza at 3:28, if you're going to be on the same train, we can arrange to meet in one of the cars.

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:37 am UTC

Æshættr wrote:\I'm planning on arriving at El Cerrito Plaza at 3:28,

You might beat me to Central Perk by a little bit. If so, you can just tell them you're with the group that reserved the armchair area by the front door. (The woman I talked to just said something along the lines of "Okay, cool, we'll reserve that for you" without actually asking for a name or anything, so if you say "xkcd," they won't know what you mean... Important thing is, we gots chairs. :D )

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:48 am UTC

I'll be wearing this thing, if you wanted to find me:

Jyxtrant

Postby Jyxtrant » Sat Dec 22, 2007 7:56 pm UTC

...Should I show up in a labcoat? I can totally steal a few from work...

Uffh

Postby Uffh » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Arg!
Hey guys. The scouts just called dibs on me for this afternoon, which makes my attendance shaky at best.

ThisIsVictor

Postby ThisIsVictor » Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:46 am UTC

Posting from the meetup!

The time is now! The place is here!

--Victor

Æshættr

Postby Æshættr » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:20 am UTC

Well, that went rather well. I don't think I'll be able to make it to RPing tomorrow, but we should definitely do this more often.

shaper

Postby shaper » Sun Dec 23, 2007 8:48 am UTC

Towers were built, lab coats donned, memes spilled, and neurosis' diagnosed. Pictures forthcoming.

Jyxtrant

Postby Jyxtrant » Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:05 am UTC

That was a guh-reat meetup. I'm all like :D

See you guys tomorrow, or next friday with the trampolines, or...or something.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:01 pm UTC

Would anyone be interested in going to the beach?

shaper

Postby shaper » Tue Dec 25, 2007 7:35 pm UTC

Platypodes

Postby Platypodes » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:43 am UTC

lysandra wrote:Would anyone be interested in going to the beach?

Me! Me! :)

bofthem

Postby bofthem » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:05 pm UTC

Happy new year, all y'all bay areas'. Hope it treats you well.

I work over on Alameda Point, which is a tremendous place for all kinds of adventure. The place plays like Half Life 2. If anyone wants to do some urban exploring on the mostly abandoned military base, I'd love to host.
Visit my site here.
Follow me on twitter here.
I like you.

lysandra

Postby lysandra » Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:14 am UTC

bofthem wrote:Happy new year, all y'all bay areas'. Hope it treats you well.

I work over on Alameda Point, which is a tremendous place for all kinds of adventure. The place plays like Half Life 2. If anyone wants to do some urban exploring on the mostly abandoned military base, I'd love to host.

Sounds like it might be fun but it would have to be within the next few days

Return to “XKCD Meetups”