Help play testing a topology board game

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

brirush

Help play testing a topology board game

Postby brirush » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:00 pm UTC

Hello! I always thought that topology would make a fun game, where you take the same pieces and board with different topologies and move according to the rules. I've posted some sample rules on math stackexchange, but I can't post a link here (the question number is 265405/51970), but I've had trouble getting anyone to play test it, even though there's been some interest. Is there anyone here interested in play testing this game and offering feedback?

raudorn

Re: Help play testing a topology board game

Postby raudorn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:55 am UTC

Here's a link for convenience.
The game sounds fun and easy to implement, but frankly I didn't understand a word. You said it can help to understand topology, but I'm afraid you have to understand topology to even play the game. What does it mean to move in a topological path? And how do I properly describe the shape of a bomb? How do I determine what is affected by that bomb?

snowyowl

Postby snowyowl » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:47 am UTC

Pegs-on-a-board sounds more workable than pen-and-paper to me. It prevents moves like "My bomb hits all the points with rational coordinates", which could be legal yet make it impossible to determine whether anyone was actually hit. The downside is that it's less rigorous, meaning you have to sacrifice some of the mathematical details to make a workable game.

Why would you move agents? Do they get to capture gardens by stopping on them, or by moving over them, or do they have to hit them on the first try? Or is it something to do with bombs, that an exploding bomb has to include the point where the agent was when he placed it (and, if it's a ball, be centered on that point)?

The addition of walls might help (and be a better way of implementing the Subspace Topology card). Agents moving in the indiscrete topology can "teleport" to anywhere, but agents moving through the Euclidean topology have to go around them.

You could allow agents to move only a finite distance each turn, when they're playing in a metric space. This lets you get more mileage out of different metrics that generate the same topologies.

(A path through a topological space S is a continuous mapping from [0,1] to S. "Continuous" means that every open subset of the path must have an open subset of [0,1] as its pre-image.)
The preceding comment is an automated response.

Frimble

Postby Frimble » Wed May 01, 2013 8:39 pm UTC

This looks fun to me I'd play it. But I think I can see a flaw. In a torus it is possible to define a path that would pass through every circle. I'm not sure what some of the other topologies are though. Some appear to require geometries in addition to topologies.

By the way you may be interested in torus games: http://geometrygames.org/TorusGames/index.html
"Absolute precision buys the freedom to dream meaningfully." - Donal O' Shea: The Poincaré Conjecture.
"We need a reality check here. Roll a D20." - Algernon the Radish
"Should I marry W? Not unless she tells me what the other letters in her name are" Woody Allen.

Return to “Mathematics”