Numerical Analysis-help

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

evinda

Numerical Analysis-help

Postby evinda » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:35 pm UTC

Hey!! :D I have a question..Can the Jacobi method be applied for a Hilbert matrix,with dimension>=250..Because,when I do this,I get NaN as result..Has it to do with the method?Or have I done something wrong???
I hope someone can help me..... :?:

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Re: Numerical Analysis-help

Postby jestingrabbit » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

From WP

the Jacobi method is an algorithm for determining the solutions of a system of linear equations with largest absolute values in each row and column dominated by the diagonal element.

ie the diagonal has to be the biggest element in the row and column. Is this condition satisfied by the Hilbert matrix?
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

evinda

Postby evinda » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:45 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:From WP

the Jacobi method is an algorithm for determining the solutions of a system of linear equations with largest absolute values in each row and column dominated by the diagonal element.

ie the diagonal has to be the biggest element in the row and column. Is this condition satisfied by the Hilbert matrix?

No,the Hilbert matrix doesn't satisfy this condition!!!Has this to do something with the fact that I get NaN as result??

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:51 am UTC

evinda wrote:

No,the Hilbert matrix doesn't satisfy this condition!!!Has this to do something with the fact that I get NaN as result??

I would expect so.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

evinda

Postby evinda » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:07 pm UTC

jestingrabbit wrote:
evinda wrote:

I would expect so.

Nice :D Could you also tell me how much is the the spectral radius of the iteration matrix of a 250x250 Hilbert matrix,so I can check my result? :roll:

Return to “Mathematics”