formal logic and similar topics

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

alessandro95

formal logic and similar topics

Postby alessandro95 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:49 am UTC

I've been reading about formal systems and formal logic (gödel's incompleteness theorem, lambda calculus, curry-howard and such) since they were named and more or less explained in a book I was reading but I'd like to read something more specific about these topics since I found them extremely interesting.
A quick search showed me that this is a very wide field spacing from proof theory to mathematical logic and many other topics so I'm a bit confused about what should I read, can someone suggest me a good book on these topics?
Thanks in advance!

Alessandro
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

korona

Re: formal logic and similar topics

Postby korona » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:14 pm UTC

What are you interested in?

For a good and thorough introduction to lambda calculi from a computer science point-of-view I recommend Types and Programming Languages by Benjamin C. Pierce. It has rigorous proofs of the basic theorems in this area and very readable. It also talks about the application of type theory to real world programming languages.

Unfortunately I don't know a good intro book to mathematical logic.

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:47 pm UTC

I was more interested in a mathematical point of view than a computer science one even though that book sounds very interesting.
The problem is that I've read about Gödel and formal systems but I don't know exactly what is the field of mathematics dealing with this things so I don't know what should I be looking for a more in-depth explanation
The primary reason Bourbaki stopped writing books was the realization that Lang was one single person.

korona

Postby korona » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:55 pm UTC

Gödel's incompleteness theorems belong to the topic of mathematical logic. You generally need some proof theory and model theory to understand the arguments.

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:33 am UTC

Thanks for the reply, I'll look for an introductory book about mathematical logic then, but I'm open to suggestions if someone has read such a book and found it well written!

notzeb
Without Warning

Postby notzeb » Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:57 am UTC

Marker's "Model Theory" is the textbook I used in undergraduate. It's decent.
Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«VµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­ZµkV­ZÕ«ZµjÖ­Zµ«V­jÕ«ZµjÖ­ZÕ«VµjÕ­Z

alessandro95

Postby alessandro95 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 7:03 pm UTC

after reading plenty of reviews and similar questions on mathoverflow I think I'll buy one of these 2:

Mathematical Logic by Joseph R. Shoenfield
Introduction to Metamathematics by Stephen C. Kleene

since they are apparently both very well known and "classics" in the field, still I'd like to know if someone has read one (or both) of them and can give me an opinion. (I cannot buy both right now, but I could start with one and buy the other later if it's worth)

edit:
there's another book from Kleene, called Mathematical Logic, but I found much more reccomendations for "Introduction to Metamathematics", if someone has read both of them could explain me what's different in the 2 books?

Forest Goose

Postby Forest Goose » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:18 am UTC

The linked book, by Hedman, is interesting and readable (I like it):

http://www.amazon.com/First-Course-Logi ... 0198529813

Logic and Structure, by Van Dalen, isn't bad for an intro text on logic.
Model Theory, by David Marker, also isn't bad (though, personally, I didn't enjoy it...)

If none of these are what you are looking for, I have a whole library of logic/compsci books at home, I'm sure I could find something better there (I'm away for a few days right now).
Forest Goose: A rare, but wily, form of goose; best known for dropping on unsuspecting hikers, from trees, to steal sweets.

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:33 am UTC

korona wrote:Gödel's incompleteness theorems belong to the topic of mathematical logic. You generally need some proof theory and model theory to understand the arguments.

That being said, Raymond Smullyan has written a series of recreational logic books that dive into the heart of incompleteness, the SI-calculus, and other deep fields. While they may lack the rigor and extensibility that you'll see in a formal textbook, they make up for it in readability.

Return to “Mathematics”