Decitauths

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4686
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Decitauths

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:05 pm UTC

An interesting thought just occurred to me:

There are tau radians in a circle. Tau is about six. 1/tau (call it a "tauth") of a radian is thus about 1/36 of a circle. So a tenth of a tauth, or a decitauth if you will, turns out to be just shy of 1.1 degrees.

I don't know how exactly in particular, but it seems like that could be useful somehow, a more mathematically-grounded unit of angular measure that's very close in scale to the common conventional unit.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5393
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Somerville, MA
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby doogly » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:37 am UTC

Tau is dumb.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4686
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:16 am UTC

Whatever, it's the number of radians in a circle and that's all I care about for this purpose, not the name.

Divide a circle into radians.

Divide by that same amount again.

Divide that into tenths.

You've got something remarkably close to 1 degree. Isn't that interesting?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
cyanyoshi
Posts: 384
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 am UTC

Re: Decitauths

Postby cyanyoshi » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:36 am UTC

Yes, since tau is 6 (relative error ~5%), it stands to reason that 360/tau^2 is 10 (relative error ~10%). I have no idea why one would care to divide the beautiful radian by tau to make something uglier (and then divide that by 10), but hey.

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4686
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 am UTC

Because people are already measuring angle in some arbitrary conveniently-factorable number of slices of a circle (degrees) because it's convenient on human scales I guess, and this is very close to that yet more connected to the less-arbitrary way of measuring angle?

It's just an interesting approximate intersection of conventional units and math, like how you can convert miles to kilometers (approximately) using the Fibonacci sequence.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Flumble
Yes Man
Posts: 1998
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:35 pm UTC

Re: Decitauths

Postby Flumble » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:11 am UTC

doogly wrote:Tau is dumb.

no u


Pfhorrest wrote:conveniently-factorable

Hmm, how is τ conveniently factored?

I'd rather suggest working with the "turn", i.e. τ rad or 360°. It's easily factored, since dividing the circle into n pieces gives you angles of 1/n turn. And it's less arbitrary than degrees or decitauths because it's simply 1 per full turn.
"But", I hear you say, "how do you sum angles?" You'll have to teach (mostly) kids how to make two fractions have a common denominator and then add them together. You can also teach them to always convert to a default denominator with lots of factors, like 360, before summing the angles. This way you don't have to find the least/convenient common multiple of the denominators. Maybe even measure the angles in these fractions and make the denominator implicit.
Dammit, I've reinvented degrees, haven't I?

User avatar
Carlington
Posts: 1588
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:46 am UTC
Location: Sydney, Australia.

Re: Decitauths

Postby Carlington » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:50 am UTC

Tau is 360 degrees. Tau/360 (tau/36/10) is 1 degree. Nearly tau/360 is nearly a degree.
I don't want to come off as being overly blunt or harsh but...yes? 6 is a reasonable approximation to tau if you don't need too much accuracy, and 1/60 radians is a reasonable approximation for a degree in the same way.
Kewangji: Posdy zwei tosdy osdy oady. Bork bork bork, hoppity syphilis bork.

Eebster the Great: What specifically is moving faster than light in these examples?
doogly: Hands waving furiously.

Please use he/him/his pronouns when referring to me.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26413
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:30 pm UTC

Fractions with pi in the denominator (or tau if you're an asshole) feel a lot grosser to work with than when it's in the numerator.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
Pfhorrest
Posts: 4686
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:11 am UTC
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:48 pm UTC

Flumble wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:conveniently-factorable

Hmm, how is τ conveniently factored?

I meant that 360 is conventiently factorable.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 2998
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Re: Decitauths

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:20 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:Fractions with pi in the denominator (or tau if you're an asshole) feel a lot grosser to work with than when it's in the numerator.

This continues to look strange in the expression for the error function, even though I understand what it's doing there.

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5393
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Somerville, MA
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby doogly » Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:21 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Flumble wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:conveniently-factorable

Hmm, how is τ conveniently factored?

I meant that 360 is conventiently factorable.

That is why the Babylonians picked it. They made sense, not like those Frenchies with their metric system.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 2998
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Re: Decitauths

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:10 am UTC

This strikes me as less interesting than eπ - π = 20.

jewish_scientist
Posts: 895
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:15 pm UTC

Re: Decitauths

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:10 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:I meant that 360 is conventiently factorable.

360 is actually an anti-prime (a.k.a. highly composite numbers). A number is an anti-prime if no smaller number has the same about or more factors. Almost all of the conversion factors in the Imperial system are anti-primes because they are so easy to divide, makes trade easier. Don't believe me;

You are selling rope at $10 per foot. Someone comes in asking for $6 worth of rope. How much do you give them?
Standard practice is to always cut rope exactly where a mark on the measuring stick is. Is anyone being short-changed in this transaction.

User avatar
gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett
Posts: 26413
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:02 pm UTC
Location: Here and There
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby gmalivuk » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:50 pm UTC

10 isn't anti prime so what's your point?
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

User avatar
doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself
Posts: 5393
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:31 am UTC
Location: Somerville, MA
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby doogly » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:57 pm UTC

babylon > france
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

User avatar
Xanthir
My HERO!!!
Posts: 5291
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:49 am UTC
Location: The Googleplex
Contact:

Re: Decitauths

Postby Xanthir » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:11 pm UTC

jewish_scientist was explicitly talking about the imperial system, in which 10 is not a used conversion ratio.

That said, I don't know what the $10 vs $6 example is about, because 6/10 isn't a ratio you can express with inches and feet. Maybe trying to illustrate that 10 is a *bad* base to use? I dunno.
(defun fibs (n &optional (a 1) (b 1)) (take n (unfold '+ a b)))

User avatar
Eebster the Great
Posts: 2998
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:58 am UTC

Re: Decitauths

Postby Eebster the Great » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:10 am UTC

I think the idea was that 12 is demonstrably superior to 10 because it has more factors. Of course, "decitauths" rely on the calculation (2π)2*10 = τ2*10 ≈ 62*10 = 360, so it's sort of the worst of both worlds.


Return to “Mathematics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests