Spanish help

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

aguacate

Spanish help

Postby aguacate » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:43 am UTC

Como se dicen las siguientes frases en espanol?

Topology
Set
Complex number
field
metric space
theorem
prove
proof
element
region

En cambio, hay algun sitio donde se puede buscar las palabras de las matematicas?

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Re: Spanish help

Postby Gordon » Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:05 am UTC

What? PM with an explanation of what you are expecting people here to help you with.

If all your looking for is the spanish translation of these words you can google 'babblefish' or whatever that site is.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
I do that too, but for an entirely different reason.
RealGrouchy wrote:
Gordon wrote:How long have I been asleep?!
Our daughter is in high school now.

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:04 pm UTC

Unlocked.

I asked someone to help me with the spanish translation of these words, I asked for any websites in spanish, I asked it in spanish because I didn't want anyone helping me except those who spoke spanish, and no, babelfish sucks balls. In case you weren't aware, Mathematics employs a slightly technical vocabulary. If you've never used a foreign language dictionary before (sounds like not), they usually don't include very technical phrases, and especially not online ones. Even if they did, you might get a funny translation, or it might be regional, or it might be out of date; really there's no substitute for asking.

Just a side note: I, and probably few mods/admins/bananas speak spanish (though some probably do) so letting us know the jist of what you're looking for in enlish wouldn't be a bad idea.

Anyway, anyone here able to help this guy out?
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:I still remember the time when Gordon left. I still wake up in the middle of the night crying and screaming his name.
RealGrouchy wrote:

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:24 pm UTC

You couldn't do a "spanish mathematical dictionary" search in Google?
http://nw.pima.edu/dmeeks/spandict/

If your list has words not there (or in any of the tons of other pages resulting from that simple Google search), let me know. I can ask a couple friends of mine.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

gmedina

Postby gmedina » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:35 pm UTC

Topology = Topología
Set = Conjunto
Complex number = número complejo
field = cuerpo o campo
metric space = espacio métrico
theorem = teorema
prove = demostrar (o probar)
proof = demostración (o prueba)
element = elemento
region = región

If you need help with any other words/expressions, let me know.
In Memoriam

Torn Apart By Dingos

Postby Torn Apart By Dingos » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:46 pm UTC

Did you try what I said in my PM?

aguacate

Postby aguacate » Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:40 pm UTC

Torn Apart By Dingos wrote:Did you try what I said in my PM?

Yeah, so the suggestion was to look it up in wikipedia then change the language for that article to spanish. To be honest, I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

... OK I just tried it, and since the axiom of choice wasn't in any of the other places suggested to me, I looked it up and it works good. "Axioma de eleccion".

gmalivuk wrote:You couldn't do a "spanish mathematical dictionary" search in Google?

If your list has words not there (or in any of the tons of other pages resulting from that simple Google search), let me know. I can ask a couple friends of mine.

Yes, as a matter of fact, I actually am incapable of searching for things with google. Thank you for the link. Are the entries only listed one way?

... I just checked out the other items on the simple google search you suggested, and none of them appear to have the entries sorted in spanish.

In case anyone else is looking for some translation help, I've always liked http://www.wordreference.com/ - not necessarily the dictionary, but the forums are really good and you get very fast responses, something like an average of 3 minutes. Its good if you need only one word you can't find anywhere, but as a dictionary, again, its not so good.

Gmedina - is there anywhere you go on the internet for spanish math? Do you study math in spanish or in english? Thanks for your help.

Govalant

Postby Govalant » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:03 pm UTC

aguacate wrote:Yeah, so the suggestion was to look it up in wikipedia then change the language for that article to spanish. To be honest, I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

I think that was me :P
Now these points of data make a beautiful line.

How's things?
-Entropy is winning.

gmedina

Postby gmedina » Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:06 pm UTC

@aguacate: Although I studied in Colombia, I almost never read/use technical literature written in Spanish.
In Memoriam

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:20 am UTC

aguacate wrote:I just checked out the other items on the simple google search you suggested, and none of them appear to have the entries sorted in spanish.

Well, I assumed you wanted English -> Spanish. Since, you know, you gave a list of English words that you wanted to know in Spanish?

gmedina wrote:@aguacate: Although I studied in Colombia, I almost never read/use technical literature written in Spanish.

There really isn't that much, in comparison, is there? The couple of Mexicans I know who study math (well, both of them are more in physics, but have to know a lot of math to do that) have had to do quite a bit of reading in English, because other than instructional textbooks themselves, not much of the actual technical literature is written in Spanish.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Gordon
Dr. Banana
Dr. Banana

Postby Gordon » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:41 am UTC

I would think the main two languages (other than counting math as a language) would be Latin and then English. Though that might be egocentric of me, being primarily english speaking myself.
Meaux_Pas wrote:
RealGrouchy wrote:

suker

Postby suker » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:42 pm UTC

Topology -> topología
Set -> conjunto
Complex number -> número complejo
field -> campo
metric space -> espacio métrico
theorem -> teorema
prove -> demostrar
proof -> demostración
element -> elemento
region -> región

La próxima vez vete a un foro hispanohablante ;-) [next time go to a spanish-speaking forum]

aguacate

Postby aguacate » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:52 pm UTC

suker wrote:Topology -> topología
Set -> conjunto
Complex number -> número complejo
field -> campo
metric space -> espacio métrico
theorem -> teorema
prove -> demostrar
proof -> demostración
element -> elemento
region -> región

La próxima vez vete a un foro hispanohablante ;-) [next time go to a spanish-speaking forum]

For instance?

Govalant wrote:
aguacate wrote:Yeah, so the suggestion was to look it up in wikipedia then change the language for that article to spanish. To be honest, I haven't tried it yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

I think that was me :P

Actually I think three separate people suggested this one to me in PMs.

Brad

Postby Brad » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:09 am UTC

aguacate wrote:
gmalivuk wrote:You couldn't do a "spanish mathematical dictionary" search in Google?

... I just checked out the other items on the simple google search you suggested, and none of them appear to have the entries sorted in spanish.

Perhaps then you should Google for "diccionario matemático inglés", or whatever is idiomatically appropriate?

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:13 pm UTC

I've done that, and even found a couple pages in Spanish, but they still seem to be oriented in an English-to-Spanish way. I suspect this is because far more math papers are written in English than in Spanish, so it's probably more likely that a Spanish-speaking student would want to know what this English word means than the other way around.
---

(he/him/his)

Return to “Mathematics”