Repeat AP Calculus BC?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

vesper39

Repeat AP Calculus BC?

Postby vesper39 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:33 am UTC

Hi guys. I'm currently a Junior in high school taking AP calculus BC course. Now usually my school does not have enough students from my grade level to open a Advanced Calculus class for my senior year. As I see it, I am left with three options:

-Note I am intended on majoring in Computer Engineering. I will still need future math classes in college.

a) Repeat Calculus BC my Senior year so I can review and jump into Calc III or whatever it is after the AP credit
b) Take AP Statistics and hope I don't forget Calculus
c) Enroll in concurrent math class at local community college

Any suggestions? Will jumping back into calculus after a year break be rough?

Steve

Re: Repeat AP Calculus BC?

Postby Steve » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:53 am UTC

Take stats. Jumping into calc really isnt that bad, I had a year break between ODE and PDE calculus and managed to pick it up right away. Calc III starts with vector algebra mostly anyways, so its not even going to fully build on AP BC until a month or so in when you do volume analysis. One thing I would reccomend is to get whatever book is associated with Calc I/II at your college so you have a reference anyways.
John Hancock

Ieatsoap6

Postby Ieatsoap6 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:54 am UTC

If you review enough before beginning Calc III, you should be fine. Calc III is pretty much generalizing I and II to three and more dimensions, along with a bit of vector stuff.

Rasputin

Postby Rasputin » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:05 am UTC

You do not forget calculus. I know many who have taken a year off from calculus... got right back on track within a couple of weeks.

That, and stats is very good knowledge to have in the real world (as it can have very practical and common uses, whereas calculus, for most of those who take the classes, becomes unnecessary for the most part).
The Immortal One.

duckshirt

Postby duckshirt » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:35 am UTC

If option #3 is convenient and available, I would do it... but that's often not the case. Repeating the calc course over seems like a waste of time, since you already know it (especially if you get a 5 on the test), so you're probably better off taking stats.
lol everything matters
-Ed

Amnesiasoft

Postby Amnesiasoft » Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:22 am UTC

Take AP Stat. Unless maybe you somehow got a 1 on the AP Calc test, which I'm not even sure is possible if you at least tried on the test. Seriously, I didn't even answer half the written response questions and still got a 5.

Gatesunder

Postby Gatesunder » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:25 am UTC

Yeah, calculus is hard to forget. I had about a 2 and a half year break from it and got back in with no problem when I thought I needed to retake it. The end result of which was me being completely bored in the class, with an instructor who I have to admit, taught the class very poorly. Statistics is definitely very useful and I think it would help with some programming in computer engineering (do they program in that major?) Also there is the plus of it being an AP course which from my experience, not only gives college credit but gives you more time to learn and better understand the material than a college course would. At least it seems that way because I had more class time in my AP calc class than I did with my calc 2 class in college (heh, not a very big self study guy sometimes when video games enter into the equation) if you're extra studious and find statistics to be simple then perhaps you could even get a book with topics in calculus 3 or linear algebra in preparation for college.
I'm wrong 99% of the time, but some day that 1% will be better than the rest ...

leigao84

Postby leigao84 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:16 pm UTC

If you can, try to take Linear Algebra. It'll help you in Multivar and it's a great class, probably better than stats. The truth is that you really don't need elementary stats (which is what AP Stats really is) if you're going to go on to take Applied Stats or Probability & Math Stats.

mudge

Postby mudge » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:33 am UTC

leigao84 wrote:If you can, try to take Linear Algebra. It'll help you in Multivar and it's a great class, probably better than stats. The truth is that you really don't need elementary stats (which is what AP Stats really is) if you're going to go on to take Applied Stats or Probability & Math Stats.

Seconded.

Linear Algebra is ridiculously useful, and if you realize that pure math completely owns any kind of engineering* way too much reduces down to Linear Algebra. So pay attention to it when you take it, unlike some people I know who I'm not going to name. (Although, I'll give you a hint. His username starts with "m" and ends with "udge")

*okay, I may be slightly biased
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/mudge <-- buy my CD (Now back in stock!)

Return to “Mathematics”