Algebraically Closed Fields

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Algebraically Closed Fields

Postby Pathway » Mon May 26, 2008 3:53 pm UTC

A post in another thread led to the Wikipedia article on algebraically closed fields, which got me thinking. I now have a question.

The article states that no finite field is algebraically closed. It also mentions that for infinite fields, R in particular is not algebraically closed. It also provides a proof that no subfield of R is algebraically closed.

It does not, however, either:
1) state that for any field F which is not algebraically closed, no subfield of F is algebraically closed , or
2) provide a counterexample to statement 1).

I don't know how to prove 1), and I have no clue how to find a counterexample for 2). Can anyone shed light on this?
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

jestingrabbit
Factoids are just Datas that haven't grown up yet

Re: Algebraically Closed Fields

Postby jestingrabbit » Mon May 26, 2008 4:27 pm UTC

Take [imath]\mathbb{C}[/imath] and extend it to [imath]\mathbb{C}(t)[/imath] then take the algebraic closure of that, call it [imath]\mathbb{K}[/imath]. [imath]\mathbb{K}[/imath] is algebraically closed, and has [imath]\mathbb{C}[/imath] as a subfield. So 1) is false and 2) is true.
ameretrifle wrote:Magic space feudalism is therefore a viable idea.

Ended

Re: Algebraically Closed Fields

Postby Ended » Mon May 26, 2008 6:41 pm UTC

Just to expand a bit:

C(t) is a field which is not algebraically closed. E.g. the polynomial x2+t in C(t)[x] has no root in C(t).

But C(t) has C as an algebraically closed subfield. So C(t) is a counter-example to 1).
Generally I try to make myself do things I instinctively avoid, in case they are awesome.
-dubsola

Return to “Mathematics”