Trouble using Beamer

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

heyitsguay

Trouble using Beamer

Postby heyitsguay » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:53 pm UTC

I'm working on a presentation using the Beamer class in Latex, and i'm having some difficulty with inserting images into the slides. This might not be exactly the right forum for this, but i figure you guys are more likely to know Latex than most.

There's no trouble when i'm just building the project to a DVI file, i start with \documentclass[dvips]{beamer} and the images (saved in .eps format) appear fine. However, when i try to output it as a pdf, i run into two difficulties. First, i get a string of errors saying "Non-PDF special ignored!". I should note this goes away when i take off the dvips option, but then the images don't show up. So, i add the pdftex option, so my beginning looks like \documentclass[pdftex, dvips]{beamer} and it builds the file, but then it can't find the images. I tried outputting first to PS and then to PDF, and the images show up despite error messages saying "[image file].eps not found", but they are not properly anti-aliased and look very grainy.

I have no clue how to fix this. Has anyone encountered this problem before? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

HenryS

Re: Trouble using Beamer

Postby HenryS » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:05 am UTC

I've used pdf figures and pdflatex to compile beamer code, has worked well.

boxcounter

Postby boxcounter » Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:52 pm UTC

If your graphics are eps, you need to compile with latex/dvips/ps2pdf, whereas if your graphics are pdf, jpeg, or png, you need to compile with pdflatex.

I find the output sucks more with the first route, and besides, I strongly recommend the latter route because you get hyperlinks in your presentation that way. So you should convert all of your eps images to pdf (with ps2pdf, on unix; don't know about other OSs). Use your pdf previewer on each image seperately to check the antialiasing; if it sucks already then try a different conversion method. Then change all your includegraphics commands to include the pdf versions of the files, and run pdflatex on your presentation.

Incidentally, if you have text in your images, then the antialiasing usually sucks unless you seperate the text out of the image, and use tex to render it and overlay it on the figure. for example, xfig does this essentially automatically: export your images as "combined tex/pdf". I don't know whether this is going to be possible for you though; depends where your graphics are coming from.

arzaqi

Postby arzaqi » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:50 am UTC

Hello I have several difficulties using beamer.
I use Scientific Workplace (SWP) to make beamer slide, I use a non-English language and I have certain LaTeX typeset objects to be translated (e.g Fact=fait, proof= preuve,etc) .
Please help me.
Did anyone have beamer tutorial for SWP in PDF? :( :(

Return to “Mathematics”