What Linear Algebra Theorem Is This?

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

What Linear Algebra Theorem Is This?

Postby Pathway » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:19 am UTC

I was recently told about a theorem in linear algebra, involving the eigenvalues of a matrix over the complex numbers. Apparently given a matrix, one can find open sets in the complex plane (or real line, given a symmetric matrix) such that if there's a set of exactly k of them that intersect (really ?? on the condition here, it might be nonempty pairwise intersections) then that subset of the complex plane contains exactly k eigenvalues.

I was told the name of this theorem was something like Gershwin's Theorem. That brings up no relevant info.

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me the name of this theorem, or link me to a wiki/Mathworld reference page.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

csrjjsmp

Re: What Linear Algebra Theorem Is This?

Postby csrjjsmp » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:53 am UTC

You mean the Gershgorin Circle Theorem.
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Gershgorin ... eorem.html

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Re: What Linear Algebra Theorem Is This?

Postby Pathway » Mon Mar 09, 2009 5:00 am UTC

Thank you so much!
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

Return to “Mathematics”