chaos grapher

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

keeperofdakeys

chaos grapher

Postby keeperofdakeys » Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:19 pm UTC

hello
I was wondering whether anybody knew of a program that could graph chaos functions, like the mandelbrot set, but with custom functions
I can't seem to find anything on the net
I recently read a book on chaos and want to try some out for my self

jroelofs

Re: chaos grapher

Postby jroelofs » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:36 am UTC

Rolling one of your own is always a great way to learn how to program. Have you considered that as an option?

keeperofdakeys

Postby keeperofdakeys » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:52 am UTC

yes I have
I could build the main iteration tester, I would just need to find a way of graphing it
I'd be writing it in python, so I guess I could try PyGame

edit: but now I think about it, I could try Haskell (which I have learnt a little); it would be much more of a challenge though

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:18 am UTC

Have you looked into Fractint? I haven't used it in like 15 years, but I seem to recall it could do this.

HenryS

Postby HenryS » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:58 am UTC

Python Imaging Library might be useful for producing pictures.

madprocess

Postby madprocess » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:16 am UTC

If nothing else, you could use a home grown program to create the data sets and something like gnuplot to graph it after the fact.

Cosmologicon

Postby Cosmologicon » Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:49 pm UTC

Rolling your own is great, don't get me wrong. But there are amazing leaps in efficiency to be had. If you're only making a few plots, it doesn't matter. But if you're making lots of high-resolution, high-framerate zooms or animations, I think you can probably cut your runtime down from days to minutes by either: 1. spending a lot of time researching it or 2. using a pre-existing, well-made program for just this sort of thing.

Of course, if you can't find one, it's moot.

musicmunky

Postby musicmunky » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:17 pm UTC

I was involved in a research project over the last year working on a Java grapher capable of doing everything from simple equations to things like fractals and whatnot. If you're interested, let me know and I'll see if I can get you the source code and instructions. It's completely open source, and you can find an early version at www.dynamicgrapher.com
"If people do not believe that mathematics is simple, it is only because they do not realize how complicated life is."
- Janos Von Neumann

PM 2Ring

Postby PM 2Ring » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:42 pm UTC

keeperofdakeys wrote:yes I have
I could build the main iteration tester, I would just need to find a way of graphing it
I'd be writing it in python, so I guess I could try PyGame

edit: but now I think about it, I could try Haskell (which I have learnt a little); it would be much more of a challenge though

I wrote a Python Mandelbrot program a year or two ago, using the GTK library for the GUI. It works ok, but it's not very fast. I can post the code here, if you like. Using any kind of interpreted language for fractals is probably not a good idea, unless you're very patient. But I guess it's a good programming exercise. (More recently, I wrote one in C, using X windows to do the graphics, but there are no GUI widgets: almost all the controls are done through hotkeys, apart from using mouse clicks to zoom in & out.)

Fractint is rather arcane. It's an old DOS program, with zillions of key commands used to control it. It'd probably be quicker to learn to use a GUI library than to learn all the ins & outs of Fractint, but it is a very versatile program with hundreds of fractal types built in, and the ability to program it to generate almost any custom fractal.

rho

Postby rho » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:12 pm UTC

Try XaoS.

"From version 3.3 you can create your own formulas as well."
Less Than Three.

Return to “Mathematics”