Graph Theory Software

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

suweid

Graph Theory Software

Postby suweid » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:04 pm UTC

I'm looking for software to help me explore graph theory, and export images to popular formats (pdf, eps) so that I can present my solutions. So far I've had little luck. There's a graph visualizing utility within Mathematica, but it's not very intuitive. I've tried searching for software and didn't find much. Here's a list of what I did find.

• yED - The closest thing to what I was looking for, but it's mainly for drawing graphs - which come out kind of choppy anyway.
  • PIGALE - Very promising but also very limited. I like how it tells me if the graph is bipartite, and that it can color the nodes proper. And I don't like how it's ultimately horribly useless.
  • GraphViz - Apparently popular visualisation tool, with automatic layout. I tried neato in particular, and didn't like it too much. Completely lacks in analytical features of any kind.

Others are hardly worth a mention. Some haven't been developed since cold war, while most focus on whatever UML is. To recap - I want to know if there exists a graph-theoretic software package that can help me doodle out some of my ideas. I want it to be able to compute graph properties, generate classes of graphs (say all possible simple graphs on n-nodes) and act as a guide in my studies.

Thanks.

SpikedMath

Re: Graph Theory Software

Postby SpikedMath » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:27 pm UTC

As far as I am aware there isn't anything that matches what you want. A lot of people I know use nauty but I haven't tried it myself.

I'd be interested in such software as well. Right now I use Matlab a lot and have some files that have all the graphs of up to order 10 (which I can use to test certain properties and do computations on their adjacency matrices). Horrible graphical displays of the graphs though :-\
Math - It's in you to give.

achan1058

Re: Graph Theory Software

Postby achan1058 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:00 am UTC

You pretty much need a generic computer algebra system, like Maple. They would compute many properties of graphs, as well as draw them. (I don't know how much SAGE have in this aspect, but it's free, so you can check it out.) If you want is to compute non-isomorphic graphs (to do something with them later), nauty is a good choice.

Return to “Mathematics”