Im looking for suggestions for textbooks.

For the discussion of math. Duh.

Moderators: gmalivuk, Moderators General, Prelates

njperrone

Im looking for suggestions for textbooks.

Postby njperrone » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:22 am UTC

I want to purchase a textbook about Abstract Algebra. How rigorous the text is does not matter as long as having taken an introductory Linear Algebra course is enough for it, which I have. I am just looking to learn about abstract algebra as soon as possible because my linear algebra course introduced the theory of groups, very basically though, and I have been extremely interested in it ever since.

So I am looking for a rigorous abstract algebra textbook that is good for undergraduates. I also do not have much experience in set theory, and from a lot of the comments I have read about different textbooks they said that set theory was covered in the indexes they have. I do not know if this is a requirement to have known, or just helps ease the process of learning abstract algebra.

So mathematical rigor and indexes are prefered if it is possible. And I would also like it to contain a fair amount of problems, but solutions to the problems arent necessary. I hope you can give me a great suggestion about a specific one.

Dason

Re: Im looking for suggestions for textbooks.

Postby Dason » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:39 am UTC

In my undergraduate abstract class I used Joe Gallian's book "Contemporary Abstract Algebra". I enjoyed it and thought he did a good job of explaining everything pretty well. It's the only book I've ever encountered so I can't really compare it to anything else but I can say that I did think it was pretty good.
double epsilon = -.0000001;

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:50 am UTC

I think Artin's book is fairly popular. I have no personal opinion on the matter.
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

Briareos

Postby Briareos » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:15 am UTC

I used Dummit and Foote and found it quite readable.
Sandry wrote:Bless you, Briareos.

Blriaraisghaasghoasufdpt.
Oregonaut wrote:Briareos is my new bestest friend.

Lycur

Postby Lycur » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:53 am UTC

I used Dummit and Foote when I learned groups and rings, it doesn't assume much knowledge coming in and it's quite reasonable but somehow it didn't really make me appreciate the subject. It provides a ton of detail which, unfortunately, I found often obfuscated the very natural ideas that were being introduced. When I studied Galois theory I switched to this book which is rather terse, but I found it alot easier to see the forest without so many trees in the way.

doogly
Dr. The Juggernaut of Touching Himself

Postby doogly » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:10 pm UTC

I loved Artin's book, much love from me.
LE4dGOLEM: What's a Doug?
Noc: A larval Doogly. They grow the tail and stinger upon reaching adulthood.

Keep waggling your butt brows Brothers.
Or; Is that your eye butthairs?

MidsizeBlowfish

Postby MidsizeBlowfish » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:18 pm UTC

I'm a big fan of Beachy and Blair's Abstract Algebra for undergrad algebra. It starts off quite gently but covers a fair amount.

Return to “Mathematics”